The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of getting a high end leather bag for a custom archtop. Cronkhite is the obvious source since Glenn C is basically the father of the concept. On the other hand, Probag (in Texas, not Bolivia) offer better straps and some different options. Anyone have experience with either or both (I'm pretty sure I've read about people here using high quality bags with their archtops)?

Thanks in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a leather bag by Cronkhite for a 335 that is so beautiful!

Not hip to Probag... Might have to check them out being in Texas

User Info Menu

Hi again, Jim,
    I've had both; the Cronkhite is definitely sturdier/safer, IMO.

Marc

User Info Menu

I have a couple of Glenn's leathers, really the best out there imo.
    once a seam of the front storage pocket opened a little on one [probably because I overstuffed it] and I sent it back to be repaired, good as new.
    I like them so much our band chipped in to get our bandleader one for his tenor sax as a gift--he liked it so much he ordered one for his alto too.

stay away from China made Reunion Blues bags

User Info Menu

Hi Jim,
    I tried to look up Probag. All I could find was a Facebook page. The website posted there doesn't work?
    Are they still in business? Do you have a link?

Cheers,
    Ron

User Info Menu

Probagg

User Info Menu

Glenn made me a beautiful two tone leather bag for my Heritage Super Eagle. A real head turner and very sturdy. Definitely go with Cronkhite.

User Info Menu

How come there's no info on his website (Chronkite?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    How come there's no info on his website (Chronkite?)
    What info do you need? He has plans for 1000 guitar models, just call him.

glenn cronkhite custom cases

User Info Menu

Pictures. Prices. I saw that site. There's hardly any info.

User Info Menu

Glenn is not the best at advertising himself. His website is basic to say the least. Do a google image search for his bags to get a better idea. He is worth tracking down. A real artisan.

User Info Menu

I have a Probag leather bag for my Artist Award. I wouldn't fly with it, but that's not what I got it for. It's very well made and durable, and I am very happy with it. I spoke to Glenn about having him make me a bag, but he did not have a template that would accommodate the width of the AA headstock, and due to bad hands Glenn is no longer making templates. Also, the Probag was just over $200, which is quite a bit less than what Glenn's bags cost.

User Info Menu

Pictures. Prices. I saw that site. There's hardly any info.
    He sold Reunion Blues to the current owners and never got around to doing a new site. I think he was getting all the orders he could handle but if you google Glenn Cronkhite you get a ton of photos, literally hundreds of them.

User Info Menu

like Marc said, Glenn's an old school dude, and his bags are made old school--high quality components and craftsmanship.
    I remember 10 yrs ago as a new customer I ordered a pair of bags and asked how he wanted to get paid, he said just send me a check after you get them. I asked and he said he'd only been stiffed once in all the yrs he was making them.

not sure if he still does that.
    Last edited by wintermoon; 02-09-2016 at 01:07 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm thinking he was a Bay Area musician in the 70s. I thought he was s percussionist, but it looks like he played trombone. Jazz kind of stuff. The band Listen with Andy Narell, Mel Martin, Larry Dunlop and maybe guitarist Steve Erquiagua?? I don't know. I'm just pulling it out of my memory banks.

I'd love to check it out but it's nuts to not have a image with pictures and prices.

User Info Menu

I'm thinking he was a Bay Area musician in the 70s. I thought he was s percussionist, but it looks like he played trombone. Jazz kind of stuff. The band Listen with Andy Narell, Mel Martin, Larry Dunlop and maybe guitarist Steve Erquiagua?? I don't know. I'm just pulling it out of my memory banks.

I'd love to check it out but it's nuts to not have a image with pictures and prices.
    The purpose of promotion is to generate more business and if your sales are maxed out for year after year, then why bother?

User Info Menu

Because you can't expand. If you can't expand hire more people. But I'm definitely his market who'd be more than willing to buy two or even three cases and spread the word, but if I can't see anything it get info beyond calling he's lost my business. A business is about finding and expanding your demographic or reach. Normally so. But if he's happy that's great.

User Info Menu

Because you can't expand. If you can't expand hire more people. But I'm definitely his market who'd be more than willing to buy two or even three cases and spread the word, but if I can't see anything it get info beyond calling he's lost my business. A business is about finding and expanding your demographic or reach. Normally so. But if he's happy that's great.
    As I said Henry, do a Google on his name and you get hundreds of photos. It's not hard.

Leather Gig Bags - Cronkhite vs Probag (Texas)?-img_3183-jpg
    Leather Gig Bags - Cronkhite vs Probag (Texas)?-jan15_pg_tools-task_glenn-chronkhite_web-jpg
    Leather Gig Bags - Cronkhite vs Probag (Texas)?-12187_img_0845_2-jpg
    Leather Gig Bags - Cronkhite vs Probag (Texas)?-iphone_4-jpg
    Leather Gig Bags - Cronkhite vs Probag (Texas)?-iphone_1-jpg

User Info Menu

The first and fourth photos are what I had Glenn do for me. Awesome case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    As I said Henry, do a Google on his name and you get hundreds of photos. It's not hard.
    Yes, but that's not the point. When you don't know somebody or their work chances are you're not going to go to that much effort. Not coming down on Glenn. It just doesn't make a lot of sense in this day and age. Believe me, I know I had to be Kee kicking and screaming before I buckled down to learn enough to put done websites together. After all my complaining about the tone and effort it would take, it took me a weekend to do it.

Cases look great. I saw many of them by searching. But that's not the point. Image searches from other people rather than the man himself is a problem business wise I THINK. BUT THATS JUST ME.

User Info Menu

Here's my ES-333 in it's ProBag. I've been very happy with it for several years now. I use it on my bike, walking, in public transport. Just not for flying, of course.

It's quite a heavy bag, but sits comfortably on your back and has very good protection.

Last edited by Little Jay; 02-09-2016 at 07:55 AM. Reason: spelling error

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    Hi Jim,
    I tried to look up Probag. All I could find was a Facebook page. The website posted there doesn't work?
    Are they still in business? Do you have a link?

Cheers,
    Ron
    probagwebstartscom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I'm thinking of getting a high end leather bag for a custom archtop. Cronkhite is the obvious source since Glenn C is basically the father of the concept. On the other hand, Probag (in Texas, not Bolivia) offer better straps and some different options. Anyone have experience with either or both (I'm pretty sure I've read about people here using high quality bags with their archtops)?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Jim,

I was going the get the Cronkhite bag as I thought they were by far the best, (and by the reviews I think they almost certainly are).
    In the end I opted for a Harvest case. The quality is just top notch very well made good customer service.

Here is the link.

http://www.harvest-guitar.com/Guitar...eadnought.html

User Info Menu

Yes, but that's not the point. When you don't know somebody or their work chances are you're not going to go to that much effort. Not coming down on Glenn. It just doesn't make a lot of sense in this day and age. Believe me, I know I had to be Kee kicking and screaming before I buckled down to learn enough to put done websites together. After all my complaining about the tone and effort it would take, it took me a weekend to do it.

Cases look great. I saw many of them by searching. But that's not the point. Image searches from other people rather than the man himself is a problem business wise I THINK. BUT THATS JUST ME.
    Henry, in many other circumstances I'd probably agree but in the case of Glenn Cronkhite, he's already so well known that he's almost above that sort of thinking. He's was founder and owner of Reunion Blues for many, many years and then sold his business to a large enterprise. He's been making these cases for musicians for much longer than the internet has been in common use and his reputation is spotless. He continues to make custom cases under his own name as well as repair both the cases he made while the owner of RB and the imported bags made by the current owners of RB. There are many ways to run an honorable and successful business and Glenn seems to have found his. If not having a glossy website disqualifies him in your eyes so be it, but given his ongoing workload, I don't think that will make much difference to him. He seems to have enough or more business than it takes to make him happy and having already built and sold a successful enterprise, I get the sense that he's not interested in doing that again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    Hi Jim,

I was going the get the Cronkhite bag as I thought they were by far the best, (and by the reviews I think they almost certainly are).
    In the end I opted for a Harvest case. The quality is just top notch very well made good customer service.

Here is the link.

Harvest Fine Leather | Guitar Bag Archtop/Dreadnought | online kaufen

The Harvest archtop bag looks great. The price is a little hefty and I'd have to look into the cost of shipping from Germany, but I certainly like the design.