The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Since starting the thread I've managed to get a few options in my hands for a play. I think I'd prefer something more jazzy so been looking more at hollows now.

Emperor Joe Pass II. Nice neck, felt like a clone of my old Sheraton, so instantly at home. Straightforward jazzbox tone without too much fiddling. Sounds nice nice but not 'involving' - would probably do a pup swap. Felt mass produced, a bit plastic, nothing special.

Emperor Regent. Big boy. Superb huge jazzy tone (made me sound like I knew what I was doing). Loved the jazzier than jazz look. Only actually realised it had a longer scale when I checked specs later so no longer so bothered about scale length if other factors are good. Quite tempted.

Godin Composer. Played another 5th Ave before and really liked it. A nice guitar but kinda brighter, thinner and chimier than others. Neck felt more like an acoustic guitar in the hand, which to be honest didn't feel as right. Spent maybe too long twidling knobs to make it sound like I wanted. I felt it would make a great 2nd jazz guitar for another flavour but not as much of a straightforward jazzbox as the others. Looked cool.

Peerless Gigmaster Jazz: Felt like a posher, upscale, deluxe Epiphone Joe Pass. Very ES175ish. Tone was on the money without much tweaking. Neck instantly inviting. Looked the part. Jazzy but felt like you to could try a bit of rockier stuff on it. If I had to buy right now I'd get one of these - although a Regent is tempting.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davidBb
    Wow, the Hagstrom looks like a lot of spec for the money...
    Yeah, but it just impossible to find one in a store to try out. I am going on hunch. Hope that it works out, but I have been known to trade things around, so no sweat if it is a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Yeah, but it just impossible to find one in a store to try out. I am going on hunch. Hope that it works out, but I have been known to trade things around, so no sweat if it is a dog.
    Yes, this is why I always buy used. You can usually get most or all of your money back down the line if your needs change. You need to live with a guitar a while, not just 'try it out'. To be honest, unless it's a killer close-out deal I'm not sure why anyone buys new. I could only sell a mint 335 custom for £1700 (a shade less than what I paid used) when lesser spec new in the dealers was over £3k.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davidBb
    Yes, this is why I always buy used. You can usually get most or all of your money back down the line if your needs change. You need to live with a guitar a while, not just 'try it out'. To be honest, unless it's a killer close-out deal I'm not sure why anyone buys new. I could only sell a mint 335 custom for £1700 (a shade less than what I paid used) when lesser spec new in the dealers was over £3k.
    I see your point, but the guitar that I ordered isn't marked up a whole lot. I see the few hundred dollars that I may lose by trading up as my "rental" or "educational" fee. I don't have any issues buying used guitars. However, after playing many years I have found it easier and more beneficial to have built (or assembled as it were) my solid body electrics. I am also pretty keen on the specs that I like for guitars, so I haven't had any issues buying new or used acoustics sight unseen. In fact, over the years I have bought some acoustic guitars off the rack thinking that I would bond better with them over time and never did. I think that I have all the keepers that I need now with the exception of an archtop. I am even half tempted to go the custom built Chinese archtop route if the Hagstrom doesn't do it for me. I have become less and less concerned about Asian build quality, but I am pretty realistic and know that there can be issues. (Insert cliche here.)