The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

I installed a Tapatune 1/8" jack into my vintage Harmony, so as not to drill any new holes, and it looks AWESOME. I took an old cord and soldered a new right-angle 1/8" plug onto it. It is a very secure fit, too, doesn't move around like you might think.

Otherwise, I'm on the lower bout end of the spectrum--only use endpins if it avoids other holes.

No one's brought up the 335 top jack yet...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I love them. I prefer the Zaolla silver straight to right angle plug. Easy squeezy.

Guitar Cable, Straight to Right-angle ? Zaolla Silverline
    Are You Serious?

$135 for a guitar cable?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Are You Serious?

$135 for a guitar cable?
    Absolutely. What's a $135 cable when you've $5k into a guitar? Audiophiles would label a $135 cable "cheap."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    No one's brought up the 335 top jack yet...
    Yeah, glad you brought that up. 335 was my first "real guitar", used it for years, NEVER had a problem with that jack placement, although I could see a potential disaster from "outside influences."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I believe the LeGrand, Citation, and formed top are the only Gibson models that have them.
    The Lee Ritenour L5 has one too.

I feel not much different between endpin or rim or even front jack, i always use an angled plug except on my L7 which has the jack under the pickguard which is the one version i dislike.

User Info Menu

I get why people don't dig endpin jacks, but side mounted jacks have their own problems too.

But either way you prefer, the worst is actually the recessed endpin jack of an original ES-150.
    It's all of the hassle of an endpin, but you can't use a 90 degree jack!
    Not only can you not set the guitar down while it's plugged in, but most guitar stands don't hold the guitar high enough off the ground either. And again, those complaints are true of a regular endpin jack, but with the recessed jack, you can't just use a 90 degree cable. Argh!!!!

I end up having to use one of these Hercules stands: Sorry! Something went wrong!
    I works great, but I hate the visual profile. It's okay with the guitar in the stand, but having the naked stand sitting their on stage just looks so ... "technical." It's distracting.

End-Pin Jacks-you_know__just_workin_-jpg

It's really the only legitimate dig on the guitar, otherwise, it's a dream.

User Info Menu

Gibson end pin jacks were a great idea they foolishly abandoned after the war, likely for cost cutting.
    not only do they eliminate rim cracks, they also greatly reduce headstock breaks since you can't lean the guitar against anything while plugged in, so no tipping over. I've never seen a prewar 150 or 250 w/a headstock crack.

and I like the visual of the Hercules stands, it's all guitar.

User Info Menu

I'm sure joshatatlastands could solve the "where do I set my guitar?" problem in a jif. And it would look really good.

User Info Menu

I hate the 1/2" Fishman endpin jack only in guitars where it clearly does not belong such as 16" pre-war L5s. Try a Tapastring Vintage Jack.

Otherwise, fair game. Remove the plug before you set the guitar on its stand. That damn cord does less damage when it is not connected when it does not have to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I hate the 1/2" Fishman endpin jack only in guitars where it clearly does not belong such as 16" pre-war L5s. Try a Tapastring Vintage Jack.

Otherwise, fair game. Remove the plug before you set the guitar on its stand. That damn cord does less damage when it is not connected when it does not have to be.
    Jabbs, I was waiting for your post..
    You and end pin jacks = Ali - Frazier.

destinytot Guest
    End-pin - and a Hercules triple stand (!) - for me.

User Info Menu

I only have one git with an end pin jack. I like to set my guitar upright on my sofa when I take a break from playing but can't with it. A minor annoyance but less an annoyance than finding a quality cable with a 90 degree plug for one git.

User Info Menu

Never had a guitar with an endpin jack. Seems like it would keep the cord out of the way either standing or sitting though. I do like using angled plugs on many guitars when using a strap, not just ones with top mounted jacks.

User Info Menu

i definitely prefer the endpin jack and always unplug before leaning the guitar. I have silent plugs for the unplugging while amplified. no complaints