Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 56

User Info Menu

Has anybody played the new Chinese version of the GB10 that came out at NAMM 2016? They are already being sold. I wonder what the difference is between them and the Japanese ones.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi TBone48,

I haven't tried one. But I did a search in the internet and found that MIC GB10se is fitted with the Chinese made pickup while GB10 is still using the Japanese made pickup, although both guitars have a similar spec description shown on the ibanez website.

FYI.

i heard it's got the spliced neck also but haven't been able to confirm

User Info Menu

Other than being visually unattractive, sometimes to the extreme, is there something wrong with a spliced neck?

I am just wondering now what the Japanese one has one the other. It has to have something much better because it cost almost 3 times more.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Is he playing the new GB10SE or the original GB10 in the 2016 NAMM video? he sure plays great. he is a fantastic guitarist. One of the last legendary jazz guitar players alive of the 20th century. He is talking about his Fender Amp, great sound with that guitar. I am sold!

User Info Menu

I see that the Ibanez GB10SE's are starting to come in. Ibanez GB10SE George Benson Signature Model Guitar Brown Sunburst

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone48 View Post
    Is he playing the new GB10SE or the original GB10 in the 2016 NAMM video?
    It is the original. The GB10SE doesn't have his name on the truss rod cover. I have a preorder in for the SE and hope to see it in early May.

User Info Menu

I found one in stock at B&H photo and pulled the trigger, I should have it this week, hopefully by the 20th or the 21st. I will post my thoughts and pic's then, if it's plays and sounds as good (hopefully better) than my LBG30 or AF155 I'm a happy man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ibbyjazz View Post
    I found one in stock at B&H photo and pulled the trigger, I should have it this week, hopefully by the 20th or the 21st. I will post my thoughts and pic's then, if it's plays and sounds as good (hopefully better) than my LBG30 or AF155 I'm a happy man.
    Hey, I look forward to hearing your review soon. I was interested to buy one but the price is higher than I expected.

User Info Menu

If anyone is interested I also found it in stock at 8th Street Music, their offering a 12% discount that brings the price down to $1144.

https://8thstreet.com/Product/Get/73...-guitar-w-case

User Info Menu

Mine just shipped and I'll have it Friday. And my local shop just got an original LGB10. I can't wait to A/B them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djelley View Post
    Mine just shipped and I'll have it Friday. And my local shop just got an original LGB10. I can't wait to A/B them.
    Great!! could you post your A/B thoughts afterwards?

User Info Menu

Big Brown dropped it off yesterday, some quick pics from my phone. I am totally happy with every aspect of the guitar, right out of the box the action is low like I like it, no fret buzz anywhere, it's a little brighter than my other jazz boxes but I like that. All together a great sounding and playing guitar IMO, your mileage may vary. No more GB10 GAS.
    Ibanez GB Series GB10SE-20160421_100415-jpgIbanez GB Series GB10SE-20160420_175022-jpgIbanez GB Series GB10SE-20160421_100640-jpgIbanez GB Series GB10SE-20160420_172855-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow, it looks real nice.
    l'll bet it plays well and sounds great too. I hope they sell 1,000's of these. The living legend deserves to go out with a nice chunk of change in his pocket. I'm a big fan of GB.
    Thanks for the pics and I wish you years of joy with your new guitar. Congrats!!!

User Info Menu

Hi,

I am sure all of us would like to hear some sound clips of your new GB10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco View Post
    Wow, it looks real nice.
    l'll bet it plays well and sounds great too. I hope they sell 1,000's of these. The living legend deserves to go out with a nice chunk of change in his pocket. I'm a big fan of GB.
    Thanks for the pics and I wish you years of joy with your new guitar. Congrats!!!
    Thank you Sir!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Falling_leaves View Post
    Hi,

I am sure all of us would like to hear some sound clips of your new GB10
    Never done that before but I'll give it a try next week, heading into a crazy weekend.

User Info Menu

Ibanez has been making good guitars for years...I would not hesitate to buy another, even the cheap models are good guitars....in my opinion.....your getting a good bang for the buck.......

User Info Menu

Yes, she looks really nice. And to echo Joe's comments, GB deserves every little financial consideration from Ibanez and royalties of his records. He's earned them. Heck I'm 69 and I couldn't tour and play and sing like Mr. B does. Kudos to his perseverance.

And nothing starts a crazy weekend off like a new GB 10 !!!
    Congrats...

Big

User Info Menu

I'm now getting bewildered by all the archtops Ibanez is offering around this price point: AF155, SS/SJ300, LGB30, GB10SE, PM2.

Can anyone define how these differ, not in terms of the specifications and cosmetics, but in terms of playability and tone.
    Have no secrets, hear no lies.

User Info Menu

good question.....side by side comparison...tone wise would be interesting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense View Post
    I'm now getting bewildered by all the archtops Ibanez is offering around this price point: AF155, SS/SJ300, LGB30, GB10SE, PM2.

Can anyone define how these differ, not in terms of the specifications and cosmetics, but in terms of playability and tone.
    I think the only way
    YOU
    will get that answered is to try them in person.
    everyone else's opinion is just that... Their opinion and it's what works or doesn't for them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post
    I think the only way
    YOU
    will get that answered is to try them in person.
    everyone else's opinion is just that... Their opinion and it's what works or doesn't for them.
    Point taken.....but finding all these instruments in the same place in the UK is pretty much impossible, or in different places, but within a timescale that makes the comparison valid.

I'm always surprised that manufacturers such as Ibanez, that sell a number of similarly specced/priced instruments, don't provide more tonal information. For comparison, the Seymour Duncan site attempts to provide quite detailed info to help you decide what is best for your tone.
    Have no secrets, hear no lies.

User Info Menu

It's odd that this is a signature model but doesn't have Georges' name on the nut cover or the fretboard inlay. Wonder if they'll be offering the natural. Great price!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
    It's odd that this is a signature model but doesn't have Georges' name on the nut cover or the fretboard inlay. Wonder if they'll be offering the natural. Great price!
    The burst is a little too "halloweenburst" for my taste. JMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM View Post
    Other than being visually unattractive, sometimes to the extreme, is there something wrong with a spliced neck?
    No. There's wrong with it at all. That construction technique has been around for at least 40 years for guitar necks.

Because it is a economical construction method used primarily in low to mid priced, mass produced guitars, it carries a stigma of being 'inferior' to a one-piece neck. But it's just a stigma.

Some people believe or speculate that the splice detracts from the tonal qualities of the neck. There's no proof of that; it's just lore and speculation. And for those convinced that is inferior, but rave about the fantastic tone of their $2K Tele or Strat, may I direct their attention to perhaps the most crude example of spliced neck : the bolted neck on Fender guitars. Four wood screws and metal plate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense View Post

I have 3 out of the 6 mentioned guitars, the AF155, LGB30 and GB10SE as stated earlier in the thread. They are all different to my ears, AF155 has a fuller brighter tone as compared to the LGB30 that sounds darker to me with a little more bite but not as much volume. Even though it's smaller the GB10SE sounds almost as full as the AF155, with more clarity, the notes seem to pop out more, bright but still warm (the only way I can explain it) the best out of the 3 by far. They all play exceptionally well and the quality of the instruments is top notch, exceeding that (quality control wise) of my Gibson Memphis Custom Shop 359 that cost 3 times as much. I hope this helps somewhat.
    Last edited by ibbyjazz; 04-23-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: more info

User Info Menu

This may sound like blasphemy, but I have now had the chance to play both the Japanese GB10 in almost brand-new condition, and the Chinese GB10SE right out of the box. I have to say that I honestly like the SE better. They are very, very close. The neck on the SE feels better to me and the amplified sound is outstanding. The GB10 has better cosmetics on the headstock, but that is the only thing that I would say is definitely better about it.

It is also worth noting that the SE required no special setup or tweaking. Out of the box I tuned it up and it was just about perfect. I normally like much larger archtops, but this thing is a keeper!

Don't get me wrong, the GB10 is every bit as good as the SE in almost every way, but I could never justify the price difference. Again - very, very close.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djelley View Post
    This may sound like blasphemy, but I have now had the chance to play both the Japanese GB10 in almost brand-new condition, and the Chinese GB10SE right out of the box. I have to say that I honestly like the SE better. They are very, very close. The neck on the SE feels better to me and the amplified sound is outstanding. The GB10 has better cosmetics on the headstock, but that is the only thing that I would say is definitely better about it.

It is also worth noting that the SE required no special setup or tweaking. Out of the box I tuned it up and it was just about perfect. I normally like much larger archtops, but this thing is a keeper!

Don't get me wrong, the GB10 is every bit as good as the SE in almost every way, but I could never justify the price difference. Again - very, very close.
    Same for mine, (it was tuned down a half step) right out of box ready to go gig.

User Info Menu

The GB 10se looks like a great buy. I wonder, are you guys still getting on with yours OK?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb View Post
    The GB 10se looks like a great buy. I wonder, are you guys still getting on with yours OK?
    No regrets at all, it's a great guitar and I love everything about mine, excellent jazz guitar at any price.

User Info Menu

Thanks Ibby.

Thats really interesting, I have been thinking about a GB10 for some time, but the GB10se has got to be looked in to.
    Last edited by andyb; 05-19-2016 at 10:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Just pulled the trigger on one of these. Got it from Amazon. Should be here next week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ibbyjazz View Post
    Big Brown dropped it off yesterday, some quick pics from my phone. I am totally happy with every aspect of the guitar, right out of the box the action is low like I like it, no fret buzz anywhere, it's a little brighter than my other jazz boxes but I like that. All together a great sounding and playing guitar IMO, your mileage may vary. No more GB10 GAS.
    Ibanez GB Series GB10SE-20160421_100415-jpg
    I am close to getting one of these myself; I also have a Mini 101, how does the GB get along with that amp? What tone setting on the Mini do you use? I use the Jazz setting, not because of playing jazz, but because it's the most neutral and balanced to my ears.

I think Ibanez offers incredible value for money with their hollow and semi-hollow guitars, but the more affordable ones (not high-end signature models) always seem to have a bright "sheen" to the sound. Does the GB10SE have this also? I ask because of your "brighter" comment. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Was slumming the GB10 listings on eBay today. There are some very decent vintage examples for sale at real reasonable prices - also a lovely practically new GB100 for $2600.00. Look around...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ View Post
    Was slumming the GB10 listings on eBay today. There are some very decent vintage examples for sale at real reasonable prices - also a lovely practically new GB100 for $2600.00. Look around...
    Mikey, I saw the guitar you are referring too. One of the most beautiful guitars of all time. I'd love to have one. Oh my goodness.
    Have fun buddy.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Mikey, I saw the guitar you are referring too. One of the most beautiful guitars of all time. I'd love to have one. Oh my goodness.
    Have fun buddy.
    Joe D

JD

Im set, I picked up an old GB10nt and a GB100 in May, both great guitars and amazing prices. I mention the GB100 as a PSA because, as the ad states, it's almost completely new. I would say comparing the 10 to the 100 that the 100 with its fuller depth body is a tad warmer sounding. I'd tumble for the blonde GB12 that Mr B. gave Prince if I could get my hands on it. I expect that will end up in a museum though. Like you I'm pretty sated at the moment.

the GB100s are stunnng and worth checking out.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone!
    I've got à deal on a 81 GB10, 1400€, but it's pretty beat up.. and I'm not sure I want to start the restoration thing once more (as for my 81'AS200 that needed refret and electronics restoration).

I'm quite interested with this Chineese version, but I wonder how it compares with the original, now that some must have had the time to play both?

And I'm till incertain beetween this GB10se, the LGB30, and the Épi 175 premium

I'm after caracterful sound, not too bright, and a feeling that brings à soulful and bluesy dimension to my jazzy licks ...
    I've played certain Ibanez Hollow bodies that where
    too perfect sounding, kind of stérile in a way..

I might be better with a mounted pickup than a floating one?

I feel floating pickups are better suited for fingerstyle and traditionnal jazz playing, I would dare say academic :-)
    I do not play academic straight technical jazz.. more of a very jazz oriented blues, I suppose in the Villanova Junction Hendrix in the Woodstock performance, or maybe SRV's "Lenny"..
    But I don't need a Fender!

Maybe the Epi Es175 is the smokiest of the brunch?
    The LGB30 really seems to be a soulful guitar?
    The GB10se a great bargain Benson style guitar...

Can you give me advice (I'm french, pardon my funky english@)

User Info Menu

There was(or is) a french guitarist by the name of Sacha Distal. I hope I spelled that correctly. He had a sunburst Benson with a CC pickup. Awesome guitar! It would give you another sound.

User Info Menu

His name was Sacha Distel, and he passed out a few years ago. He was a great jazzman but was better known as a pop crooner in France..
    A Benson guitar with a Charlie Christian pickup? Is that right? Must be kind of hard to find I reckon?
    I love the sound and looks of old Gibson Archtops with CC pickups.
    A guy in France is selling a 81 Es175 Ltd edition (3 or 400 of them have been made) with a single CC pickup.. it's just beautiful, but 4100€..

User Info Menu

I would classify my GB10SE as sounding on the brighter side of the spectrum. But with EQ I can make it sound darker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510 View Post
    His name was Sacha Distel, and he passed out a few years ago. He was a great jazzman but was better known as a pop crooner in France..
    A Benson guitar with a Charlie Christian pickup? Is that right? Must be kind of hard to find I reckon?
    I love the sound and looks of old Gibson Archtops with CC pickups.
    A guy in France is selling a 81 Es175 Ltd edition (3 or 400 of them have been made) with a single CC pickup.. it's just beautiful, but 4100€..
    Not having a turntable my albums have been in storage. But, for this I went digging.I found him the second to the last album. If I had only started from the other end,,, I remember I liked his "Night in Tunisia" the best. Sorry to hear that he's passed. I always wanted to find out if Ibanez made that for him,or if it was a European issue only. Nice guitar!
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez GB Series GB10SE-img_0009-jpg 

User Info Menu

Totally disagree that nothing is wrong with spliced necks. It's done for for one reason only:

TO SAVE MONEY.

It's not just a stigma. People who claim that there is no difference can offer no proof of that. It's just speculation on their part. The fact that it's been around for years means nothing. Lots of bad stuff has been around for years. And a fender neck is not a spliced neck.

Also, there's a huge difference between multi piece necks which are glued together along the length of the grain and spliced necks where the joint cut is across the grain.

Anyone who thinks that this makes no difference doesn't understand physics of energy transference.

I'm not going to get into a chest beating debate here so I'll bow out but I wanted to offer an opinion. I once talked to Jimmy D'Aquisto about this and my thoughts are based on what he said. But again, what did he know compared to a bunch of chat-forum experts?!?

User Info Menu

...every note has an origin and a destination...
    - Tal Farlow

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
    Totally disagree that nothing is wrong with spliced necks. It's done for for one reason only:

TO SAVE MONEY.

It's not just a stigma. People who claim that there is no difference can offer no proof of that. It's just speculation on their part. The fact that it's been around for years means nothing. Lots of bad stuff has been around for years. And a fender neck is not a spliced neck.

Also, there's a huge difference between multi piece necks which are glued together along the length of the grain and spliced necks where the joint cut is across the grain.

Anyone who thinks that this makes no difference doesn't understand physics of energy transference.

Saving money, saving resources (smaller pieces of wood are needed- especially is splicing both the headstock and the heel- so there is less waste- not an inconsiderable concern as we use up the good timber from around the world). That's not necessarily a bad thing. Back in the D'Angelico era, large old-growth lumber was readily available and waste was not considered a big concern. 65-80 years on and the situation is very different. There are few old-growth forests left in the US and in many parts of the world there are no old-growth forests left. And there is increasing pressure on the stands of trees that are left in order to make a buck.

If there's a difference in energy transfer in a one-piece versus spliced neck (which seems intuitively plausible because of the glue joint and the interruption of the grain):

a) is it audible? Or does the difference happen in frequencies outside our hearing (or the reproduction range of guitar amps/speakers)?

b) does the splice make a difference in a neck with a big rod of steel in the middle of it?

c) is there some structural deficiency as a result of the spliced neck (tuning stability, durability, deformation over time) that is worse than the one-piece neck?

d) since the fingerboard crosses the splice (in most cases), does that partially or fully correct for the change in the neck shaft caused by the splice?

You seem to be a bit confused about the burden of proof. That there is no difference would be the null hypothesis; the burden is to prove there *is* a difference between a spliced and a one piece neck. The people who say there is a difference are the ones who would have to prove that (or show that it has already been proven).

ERROR: The requested URL could not be retrieved

There'd really only be one way to do it- take a one piece neck and test the sound the guitar makes; then saw off the headstock, splice it back on, and test the sound the guitar makes now. My guess is which pick you use would have a far greater effect on tone.

I've played great guitars with a one-piece neck; I've played great guitars with a spliced neck. I heard no tell-tale sound from spliced necks. In fact one of the best sounding guitars I have ever heard- my Rick Turner RN-6- has a spliced neck. You've quite favorably reviewed that instrument yourself. But the truly great sounding guitars I have heard- the top ten, if you will- all have (as far as I know) one piece necks. So ultimately I dunno, because there are a lot more factors in the sound of a guitar than whether or not there is a neck splice (top carve, back carve, bracing, wood species, strings, etc., etc.)- could the difference caused by the splice even be heard?
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

I received the Gb10se today
    I'm not that overwhelmed
    I find the hardware to be quite cheap feeling, the volume knobs go from 0 to 10 with very little progression.

I had to fix the pickguard with superglue, the little mounting plastic thing was loose.. On of the grips on a knob is moving..
    The tailpiece is in cheapo metal, the bridge pickup is very very weak in volume (and close to the strings so no solution here)
    The ebony fretboard is dry and does not have that oily aspect.. Doesn't look of very good quality
    Playability is very good, but the fretboard feels somewhat "light" and plasticky.. Hard to describe

I'm a 100% sure, obviously, that the Japanese model fixes every bit of what I don't like on the Gb10 se..
    So it's going back tomorrow..
    This one, by the way, is from March 2019, and built in Indonesia
    Weren't the first ones built in China?
    And maybe better?
    Don't, it's not a "bad" guitar, but absolutely very much sub-par from what I 'm used to from my Japanese AS50

Well, you get what you pay for. Ibanez are honest in a way, a 1150€ guitar cannot reach a 2500€ one, which is not always true with the big names in the guitar world

I' ll be picking a used Japanese Gb10 in a very near future because I love the feeling of this particular model

User Info Menu

Mine was made in China and is from the first batch of the current SE incarnations to reach the U.S. Sorry to hear yours is of such poor quality. Mine is not. Returnable?