The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 68

User Info Menu

Have to adjust my right hand picking style. I tend to pick close to the neck and on this guitar I keep hitting the neck pickup and hearing the resulting click. Just a matter of moving bridgeward an inch or two.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice guitar, just like a 100 but a smidgeon of the price, pic of mine to show how I mount the button at the heel.

Ibanez GB Series GB10SE-p1000074-jpg

And one of the belly.

Ibanez GB Series GB10SE-p1000070-jpg

User Info Menu

Thank you for the button pic. Gorgeous wood and binding on that guitar!

The two thumbwheels on the tailpiece, are they some kind of tension adjuster?
    Last edited by TedBPhx; 05-27-2016 at 09:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Yes Ted they are, when you screw them clockwise they push the tailpiece down towards the body creating more tension in the strings or so Ibanez say. You would have to be really anal to notice any difference. Cheers.

User Info Menu

i got a gb10 after decades of more expensive archtops

its better than almost all of them

its got a lovely softness to it - softness to the feel (what a neck and great 24.75 low tension) - and to the sound, because its so thick and warm

(thick plus warm equals soft - to those of you who don't know your maths)

User Info Menu

The bridge pickup had more gain than I care for so following advice from an old forum GB10 thread I turned the height adjustment maybe a 1/4 turn and dialed in a very sweet sound when blended with the neck. I am amazed at how many tones I can get out this guitar. The neck by itself is more traditional jazz sound than I'll ever be able to play. The two together open the spectrum up to smooth and, if I bring up the amp gain, becomes a wonderful rock and blues machine.

The 17x3.5 Washburn with my hack job mounted Benedetto S6 has a rich woody sound that I haven't found on the GB10SE. But the Ibanez gets much louder without feedback or resorting to taping the holes. The neck is a dream. Polished ebony fret board, I didn't know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ibbyjazz
    Big Brown dropped it off yesterday, some quick pics from my phone. I am totally happy with every aspect of the guitar, right out of the box the action is low like I like it, no fret buzz anywhere, it's a little brighter than my other jazz boxes but I like that. All together a great sounding and playing guitar IMO, your mileage may vary. No more GB10 GAS.
    Attachment 30639
    I am close to getting one of these myself; I also have a Mini 101, how does the GB get along with that amp? What tone setting on the Mini do you use? I use the Jazz setting, not because of playing jazz, but because it's the most neutral and balanced to my ears.

I think Ibanez offers incredible value for money with their hollow and semi-hollow guitars, but the more affordable ones (not high-end signature models) always seem to have a bright "sheen" to the sound. Does the GB10SE have this also? I ask because of your "brighter" comment. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Was slumming the GB10 listings on eBay today. There are some very decent vintage examples for sale at real reasonable prices - also a lovely practically new GB100 for $2600.00. Look around...

User Info Menu

I picked up an old GB10nt and a GB100 in May, both great guitars and amazing prices. I mention the GB100 as a PSA because, as the ad states, it's almost completely new. I would say comparing the 10 to the 100 that the 100 with its fuller depth body is a tad warmer sounding. I'd tumble for the blonde GB12 that Mr B. gave Prince if I could get my hands on it. I expect that will end up in a museum though. Like you I'm pretty sated at the moment.

the GB100s are stunnng and worth checking out.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone!
    I've got à deal on a 81 GB10, 1400€, but it's pretty beat up.. and I'm not sure I want to start the restoration thing once more (as for my 81'AS200 that needed refret and electronics restoration).

I'm quite interested with this Chineese version, but I wonder how it compares with the original, now that some must have had the time to play both?

And I'm till incertain beetween this GB10se, the LGB30, and the Épi 175 premium

I'm after caracterful sound, not too bright, and a feeling that brings à soulful and bluesy dimension to my jazzy licks ...
    I've played certain Ibanez Hollow bodies that where
    too perfect sounding, kind of stérile in a way..

I might be better with a mounted pickup than a floating one?

I feel floating pickups are better suited for fingerstyle and traditionnal jazz playing, I would dare say academic :-)
    I do not play academic straight technical jazz.. more of a very jazz oriented blues, I suppose in the Villanova Junction Hendrix in the Woodstock performance, or maybe SRV's "Lenny"..
    But I don't need a Fender!

Maybe the Epi Es175 is the smokiest of the brunch?
    The LGB30 really seems to be a soulful guitar?
    The GB10se a great bargain Benson style guitar...

Can you give me advice (I'm french, pardon my funky english@)

User Info Menu

There was(or is) a french guitarist by the name of Sacha Distal. I hope I spelled that correctly. He had a sunburst Benson with a CC pickup. Awesome guitar! It would give you another sound.

User Info Menu

His name was Sacha Distel, and he passed out a few years ago. He was a great jazzman but was better known as a pop crooner in France..
    A Benson guitar with a Charlie Christian pickup? Is that right? Must be kind of hard to find I reckon?
    I love the sound and looks of old Gibson Archtops with CC pickups.
    A guy in France is selling a 81 Es175 Ltd edition (3 or 400 of them have been made) with a single CC pickup.. it's just beautiful, but 4100€..

User Info Menu

I would classify my GB10SE as sounding on the brighter side of the spectrum. But with EQ I can make it sound darker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    His name was Sacha Distel, and he passed out a few years ago. He was a great jazzman but was better known as a pop crooner in France..
    A Benson guitar with a Charlie Christian pickup? Is that right? Must be kind of hard to find I reckon?
    I love the sound and looks of old Gibson Archtops with CC pickups.
    A guy in France is selling a 81 Es175 Ltd edition (3 or 400 of them have been made) with a single CC pickup.. it's just beautiful, but 4100€..
    Not having a turntable my albums have been in storage. But, for this I went digging.I found him the second to the last album. If I had only started from the other end,,, I remember I liked his "Night in Tunisia" the best. Sorry to hear that he's passed. I always wanted to find out if Ibanez made that for him,or if it was a European issue only. Nice guitar!
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez GB Series GB10SE-img_0009-jpg 

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Ted, (I presume)

Recently picked up a pre owned gb10. Needed fretwork. Got it back and the intonation was off.

Found a post where you mentioned using a tune omatic bridge on your gb10se.

What part was that and did it fit right onto the stock bridge posts? The tech suggested a tune omatic.

Thanks.

Daron

User Info Menu

Never did get a TOM. The wood one that came with is cut perfect. There are a few GB10 experts here that can recommend a TOM that might fit.

User Info Menu

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what TOM bridge could fit on the Gb10 se?
    Maybe a Gotoh I presume?

Has anyone compared with the Gb10 se with the Japanese one?

User Info Menu

Gotoh tunomatic will fit fine I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I received the Gb10se today
    I'm not that overwhelmed
    I find the hardware to be quite cheap feeling, the volume knobs go from 0 to 10 with very little progression.

I had to fix the pickguard with superglue, the little mounting plastic thing was loose.. On of the grips on a knob is moving..
    The tailpiece is in cheapo metal, the bridge pickup is very very weak in volume (and close to the strings so no solution here)
    The ebony fretboard is dry and does not have that oily aspect.. Doesn't look of very good quality
    Playability is very good, but the fretboard feels somewhat "light" and plasticky.. Hard to describe

I'm a 100% sure, obviously, that the Japanese model fixes every bit of what I don't like on the Gb10 se..
    So it's going back tomorrow..
    This one, by the way, is from March 2019, and built in Indonesia
    Weren't the first ones built in China?
    And maybe better?
    Don't, it's not a "bad" guitar, but absolutely very much sub-par from what I 'm used to from my Japanese AS50

Well, you get what you pay for. Ibanez are honest in a way, a 1150€ guitar cannot reach a 2500€ one, which is not always true with the big names in the guitar world

I' ll be picking a used Japanese Gb10 in a very near future because I love the feeling of this particular model

User Info Menu

Mine was made in China and is from the first batch of the current SE incarnations to reach the U.S. Sorry to hear yours is of such poor quality. Mine is not. Returnable?

User Info Menu

Yes I can
    I do not say it is bad, it is a pretty good guitar, but I suspect it will not age very well
    The hardware and electronics seem not to be very durable, and the guitar has a very strong smell of fresh glue..

I'm not very confident to be honest, it feels somewhat not like a high end instrument, which is logic regarding the price.

The playability on the other hand is very very good

I have a deal on 2009 Gb10 at 1650€, and I think that the 500€ gap is very much worth just returning this one and getting "the real thing" once and for all

I was telling myself today, I would have had this Gb10se 20 years ago I would have been totally crazy about it.. But, I'm a more experienced player now, I have more financial ease, and I know what a very good instrument is.. And life is short, I just want the high end one..
    And the return policy the store I purchased it from made me buy it knowing that I could send it back just in case.

But in all honesty, I feel that this more economical model is cheaper for a good reason.. It does feel a little cheap undeniably

Maybe the Chinese ones are better, I suspect

I agree with the previous poster about quality. I got an Indo SE in the post and there was a metallic twang on F# and related notes. The instrument had had clearly zero QA Inspection. Anyone playing it for more than a few moments would spot the issues. The setup was also not great. The neck had a lot of relief and a low medium action, making fretting hard work around the 8th. I spent a while trying to trace the source of the twang, and suspect something in the wiring was vibrating on the body. My luthier couldn't find the problem either. In the end, I chose to send the SE back rather than pulling it apart on the first day. Oh, and the frets are poorly finished: vibrato gives a rough rubbing noise!

User Info Menu

Exactly my experience
    I'm pretty sure that the Chinese 1rst run weren't in the same league, much better I think
    The Indonesian build relocation should have been with a price drop or new name or something
    In my opinion the guitar is not worth the 1200€ asked
    I'm getting a 2009 Mij Gb10 tomorrow by the way.. 6 hour road trip to get it, but I hope it'll be worth it

User Info Menu

I bought the 2009 Gb10 yesterday
    It's in mint condition, natural color, and plays fantastic, I mean... Wow!!
    What an astonishing guitar, I'm blown away
    Just for others here who compare it with the Gb10se..
    The Indonesian Se is NOT the same guitar
    I remember very well each detail of the Gb10se since I had it a few days ago and inspected in every corner possible..
    Nothing is comparable (hardware, woods, pickups, set up, finish, neck profile..) to the MIJ
    The Gb10 Se looks like a Mij, but that's it
    Guys, just find a used GB10 for 600 bucks more.... Just DO It!!