The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 68

User Info Menu

Has anybody played the new Chinese version of the GB10 that came out at NAMM 2016? They are already being sold. I wonder what the difference is between them and the Japanese ones.

Ibanez GB Series GB10SE-ibanez-gb10se-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi TBone48,

I haven't tried one. But I did a search in the internet and found that MIC GB10se is fitted with the Chinese made pickup while GB10 is still using the Japanese made pickup, although both guitars have a similar spec description shown on the ibanez website.

FYI.

User Info Menu

i heard it's got the spliced neck also but haven't been able to confirm

User Info Menu

Other than being visually unattractive, sometimes to the extreme, is there something wrong with a spliced neck?

I am just wondering now what the Japanese one has one the other. It has to have something much better because it cost almost 3 times more.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Is he playing the new GB10SE or the original GB10 in the 2016 NAMM video? he sure plays great. he is a fantastic guitarist. One of the last legendary jazz guitar players alive of the 20th century. He is talking about his Fender Amp, great sound with that guitar. I am sold!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone48
    Is he playing the new GB10SE or the original GB10 in the 2016 NAMM video?
    It is the original. The GB10SE doesn't have his name on the truss rod cover. I have a preorder in for the SE and hope to see it in early May.

User Info Menu

Big Brown dropped it off yesterday, some quick pics from my phone. I am totally happy with every aspect of the guitar, right out of the box the action is low like I like it, no fret buzz anywhere, it's a little brighter than my other jazz boxes but I like that. All together a great sounding and playing guitar IMO, your mileage may vary. No more GB10 GAS.
    Ibanez GB Series GB10SE-20160421_100415-jpgIbanez GB Series GB10SE-20160420_175022-jpgIbanez GB Series GB10SE-20160421_100640-jpgIbanez GB Series GB10SE-20160420_172855-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow, it looks real nice.
    l'll bet it plays well and sounds great too. I hope they sell 1,000's of these. The living legend deserves to go out with a nice chunk of change in his pocket. I'm a big fan of GB.
    Thanks for the pics and I wish you years of joy with your new guitar. Congrats!!!

User Info Menu

Ibanez has been making good guitars for years...I would not hesitate to buy another, even the cheap models are good guitars....in my opinion.....your getting a good bang for the buck.......

User Info Menu

Yes, she looks really nice. And to echo Joe's comments, GB deserves every little financial consideration from Ibanez and royalties of his records. He's earned them. Heck I'm 69 and I couldn't tour and play and sing like Mr. B does. Kudos to his perseverance.

And nothing starts a crazy weekend off like a new GB 10 !!!
    Congrats...

Big

User Info Menu

I'm now getting bewildered by all the archtops Ibanez is offering around this price point: AF155, SS/SJ300, LGB30, GB10SE, PM2.

Can anyone define how these differ, not in terms of the specifications and cosmetics, but in terms of playability and tone.

User Info Menu

It's odd that this is a signature model but doesn't have Georges' name on the nut cover or the fretboard inlay. Wonder if they'll be offering the natural. Great price!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    It's odd that this is a signature model but doesn't have Georges' name on the nut cover or the fretboard inlay. Wonder if they'll be offering the natural. Great price!
    The burst is a little too "halloweenburst" for my taste. JMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Other than being visually unattractive, sometimes to the extreme, is there something wrong with a spliced neck?
    No. There's wrong with it at all. That construction technique has been around for at least 40 years for guitar necks.

Because it is a economical construction method used primarily in low to mid priced, mass produced guitars, it carries a stigma of being 'inferior' to a one-piece neck. But it's just a stigma.

Some people believe or speculate that the splice detracts from the tonal qualities of the neck. There's no proof of that; it's just lore and speculation. And for those convinced that is inferior, but rave about the fantastic tone of their $2K Tele or Strat, may I direct their attention to perhaps the most crude example of spliced neck : the bolted neck on Fender guitars. Four wood screws and metal plate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    I'm now getting bewildered by all the archtops Ibanez is offering around this price point: AF155, SS/SJ300, LGB30, GB10SE, PM2.

Can anyone define how these differ, not in terms of the specifications and cosmetics, but in terms of playability and tone.
    I have 3 out of the 6 mentioned guitars, the AF155, LGB30 and GB10SE as stated earlier in the thread. They are all different to my ears, AF155 has a fuller brighter tone as compared to the LGB30 that sounds darker to me with a little more bite but not as much volume. Even though it's smaller the GB10SE sounds almost as full as the AF155, with more clarity, the notes seem to pop out more, bright but still warm (the only way I can explain it) the best out of the 3 by far. They all play exceptionally well and the quality of the instruments is top notch, exceeding that (quality control wise) of my Gibson Memphis Custom Shop 359 that cost 3 times as much. I hope this helps somewhat.
    Last edited by ibbyjazz; 04-23-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: more info

User Info Menu

This may sound like blasphemy, but I have now had the chance to play both the Japanese GB10 in almost brand-new condition, and the Chinese GB10SE right out of the box. I have to say that I honestly like the SE better. They are very, very close. The neck on the SE feels better to me and the amplified sound is outstanding. The GB10 has better cosmetics on the headstock, but that is the only thing that I would say is definitely better about it.

It is also worth noting that the SE required no special setup or tweaking. Out of the box I tuned it up and it was just about perfect. I normally like much larger archtops, but this thing is a keeper!

Don't get me wrong, the GB10 is every bit as good as the SE in almost every way, but I could never justify the price difference. Again - very, very close.

User Info Menu

Same for mine, (it was tuned down a half step) right out of box ready to go gig.

User Info Menu

The GB 10se looks like a great buy. I wonder, are you guys still getting on with yours OK?

User Info Menu

No regrets at all, it's a great guitar and I love everything about mine, excellent jazz guitar at any price.

User Info Menu

I like it. Came setup with D'Addarios flat 11s. The relief, height and frets seem perfect. Just had to bump the high E side of the bridge a mm to intonate it. Came with the neck strap button in the case. Having a bit of anxiety about where to attach it.

Pickups are floaters. The neck pickup is attached to the neck by one of those screwed on harnesses into a nice little routing. The bridge pup is attached to the pick guard and there is a little screw with a spring attached the top to adjust the pick guard height near the bridge. There is also a clever screw assembly that looks like it adjusts the angle of the guard relative to the neck. The individual pole pieces appear to have been adjusted at the factory. Very balanced sound.

Selector switch is wired so that when in the middle position if either volume is all the way off there is no output at all. Wonder if the pups are wired series?

Got a Washburn J600 a year ago as a relatively inexpensive way to see if l'd like an Archtop. I do. This forum opened my eyes and ears to just how varied and deep the field is. The Ibanez is very different, 14.5" vs 17, 24.75 vs 25.5 and a narrower nut. The Wasburn needed a fret level and better electronics. The Ibanez is take it out of the case and play. Twice the money but 10 times the guitar, really.
    I'm falling in love.

Ibanez GB Series GB10SE-image-jpgIbanez GB Series GB10SE-image-jpgIbanez GB Series GB10SE-image-jpgIbanez GB Series GB10SE-image-jpgIbanez GB Series GB10SE-image-jpg
    Last edited by TedBPhx; 05-26-2016 at 02:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Congratulations, IMO the GB10SE is one of the coolest Jazz boxes on the market right now.

I really respect Ibanez for their quality/cost ratio, and commitment to the archtop sector of the guitar market.

Enjoy the guitar !.

User Info Menu

That is really a Very Nice Guitar.
    As I've said in the past, I hope they sell millions of these so George can retire with some extra security.
    I wonder how they stack up against the Japanese made model?
    I am all in favor of this concept. To me, it is not only OK to capitalize on your own design, but making your design available to a broader range of people who can afford these gems is admirable.

I love it. And I would seriously consider getting one for myself. I like LGB too..