The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

So I recently replaced the humbucker on my Baker 15 to a Lollar CC pickup. I like the tone of the CC but I get that single coil hum and it can become really annoying.
    Also, the building is old so that hum gets worse. I get also a lot of hum when I use humbuckers with an Overdrive pedal.

I was wondering, any solutions about it?
    Like the EHX hum debugger? Or those Eb Tech Hum Eliminators?
    Has anyone tried any of these? Do they alter the sound?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time,
    Mike

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Mike, I have the same problem with my de armond 1000 (Guild Savoy)
    I follow this post with great interest

User Info Menu

Strap on your guitar, turn on your amp, take a couple of steps back.

Turn slowly in a circle until you find the quietest point.

Stay there and play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Strap on your guitar, turn on your amp, take a couple of steps back.

Turn slowly in a circle until you find the quietest point.

Stay there and play.
    That's the answer, but if the building has really dirty power, things like the hum debugger do work, but they also do effect your overall sound. For some it might not be a big deal, for others, a dealbreaker.

User Info Menu

I've posted quite a few times about the HumDebugger. Worked great for me with P90 pickups in a house with old tube and post wiring.

At one point I also got a fairly expensive GFI/circuit breaker outlet (~$60 IIRC) that was supposed to help with noise, but didn't.

As I understand it the HDB produces a low-level duplicate of the original signal that cancels out the ground-level hum more or less like a humbucking pickup would.

There are 2 modes--normal and strong. Strong will definitely affect the tone. Normal has a very subtle effect, in fact just reduces the treble a bit so not a bad effect on most jazz tones at all, IMO.

User Info Menu

Sam' approach is the one I use. Also, make sure all the lights with dimmer switches, fluorescent/CFL lights, etc., are turned off. They are notorious for generating hum.

Sometimes you can get good results with shielding, although not so much with an archtop. Copper foil is usually recommended although I remember reading on Bill Lawrence's site that for the electromagnetic interference from dimmers aluminum works better. I've never tried it.

I really liked the sound of my CC in my Tele but I really, really hate hum. There's a humbucker in there now for that reason.

User Info Menu

has anyone seen the suhr single coil back plate silentser?

there are a few picture on this link.
    freestompboxes.org ? View topic - suhr backplate silent single coil

similar concept can be applied but not sure where to place the extra coil.
    either glue on the back of the pickup or glue to the back plate.

User Info Menu

+1 for Doctor Jeff.

I have a lollar CC in a hollow tele - EHX debugger works well - just a little off the treble. Very useful when the air conditioner is on.

(they're awesome pups IMHO)

User Info Menu

At home, i run a wire from the bridge or tailpiece directly to one part of my body (toe, or whatever) and it sure kills the buzz.
    I couldn't find online a clear answer as to whether this is dangerous or not.
    But meanwhile, i have silent single coils, and i'm still breathing, seems like.

User Info Menu

The electrical connection in my rehearsal space (trumpet player house) its very noisy. Anybody tried the ehx the silencer or tc electronic sentry noise gate?

User Info Menu

I will give the debugger a shot for sure. If I have to sacrifice some treble, it's nothing.
    The question though is, maybe a noise gate will work too and eventually do a better job?

The Suhr system is nice, indeed.

User Info Menu

Plus, when you have to gig and you need that hum to go away there has to be a solution.

User Info Menu

This why Humbuckers were invented! You could try Low Impedence p/ups as well!

User Info Menu

Metheny uses the EH debugger. I personally don't see the point of using a pickup that creates so much extraneous artifact; these pickups sound great, but they constantly buzz? If you'll pardon the crude analogy, it's like having a beautiful mate, who's a jerk.

User Info Menu

I have a VV CC Rider in a Tele and I shielded all the cavities with copper shielding.

The keyboard player in the band can hear it but my hearing is soooo knackered I don't hear it as much.

What I have done is put in a phat cap which cuts out the highs well enough when having both pickups on. I have lowered the bridge pickup to reduce its out put some and fiddling with the amp tone stack gives me a great tone.

User Info Menu

I am thinking about making a dummy coil and trying that with the VVG CC pickup. I am thinking of just making an air coil that will fit around the perimeter of either the control rout or the pickup rout using awg 32 magnet wire and wrapping it in spiral tubing. I've read that if the dummy coil resistance is about 1/2 that of the pickup, it should be sufficient with minimal effect on tone. Copper foil soldered together with good continuity to ground just didn't do the job. Before that I might try putting a thin steel "floor" in the pickup route to see if that cuts the hum enough- it's 120 Hz hum that's bugging me.