The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

Apart from looking incredibly gorgeous, (at least I think so) is the quote below from Guitarplayer all there is to say/know about the sonic contribution of Walnut to a guitar's sound?

Walnut. Dense and fairly heavy, with sonic characteristics similar to those of mahogany, walnut is occasionally used in electric-guitar bodies. It tends to be warm and full, but usually with a firmer low end, and more overall tightness. Walnut’s rich brown color and often pleasing grain patterns means it looks good under a simple coat of translucent lacquer. http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/all-about-tonewoods/14591

Gibson Memphis ES-339 with 345 Appointments - Walnut | Sweetwater.com

PRS Walnut Semi-Hollow Limited | Sweetwater.com

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

funny but orville gibsons earliest known guitar was made with walnut!

good read here-

Featured Inventory Archives 1999-2012 | Gruhn Guitars

rickenbacker makes some nice walnut guitars as well

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    funny but orville gibsons earliest known guitar was made with walnut!

good read here-

Featured Inventory Archives 1999-2012 | Gruhn Guitars

rickenbacker makes some nice walnut guitars as well

cheers
    Fascinating! Thanks

User Info Menu

the gibsons the OP linked to have walnut finishes, but are the usual laminated maple bodies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    Apart from looking incredibly gorgeous, (at least I think so) is the quote below from Guitarplayer all there is to say/know about the sonic contribution of Walnut to a guitar's sound?

Walnut. Dense and fairly heavy, with sonic characteristics similar to those of mahogany, walnut is occasionally used in electric-guitar bodies. It tends to be warm and full, but usually with a firmer low end, and more overall tightness. Walnut’s rich brown color and often pleasing grain patterns means it looks good under a simple coat of translucent lacquer. http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/1139/all-about-tonewoods/14591
    Gibson Memphis ES-339 with 345 Appointments - Walnut | Sweetwater.com

https://www.gbase.com/gear/collings-i-35-lc-walnut

PRS Walnut Semi-Hollow Limited | Sweetwater.com
    Except for the PRS, those are maple guitars with a finish called "walnut."

User Info Menu

Well, Walnut is harder and brighter even than maple, and Walnut backed pre-war Epiphone Broadways are often noted to be cannons with outstanding high end projection for single string lead work.

But that's for the back and sides of an acoustic archtop....

User Info Menu

Most often used in solid body guitars in which case the tonewood plays a very small factor. The brightness of it makes it better for basses.

User Info Menu

Or Telecasters,Ouch!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Or Telecasters,Ouch!!!!!!!!!

I once saw a walnut Tele (a standard sort of Tele, not the above Elite) at a local music store. Heavy.

I don't expect it to make much of a tone difference, but you may have better ears than me.

User Info Menu

I have a walnut topped electric-acoustic. Here's a stock photo.

Walnut body guitars - What the sonic appeal?-carvin-walnut-jpg

User Info Menu

Larrivee made a walnut bodied flattop that sounded really nice.

User Info Menu

walnut bodied ric 360...top and sides are single (cnc) carved slab with added back plate

Walnut body guitars - What the sonic appeal?-360walnut-0-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Walnut body guitars - What the sonic appeal?-img_2828-jpgWalnut body guitars - What the sonic appeal?-img_2827-jpg

Short scale bass with walnut body. Not very heavy. Not very bright due to short scale, very comfortable to play. Difficult to intonate the low E and B.

User Info Menu

I had a Martin D-35 with Claro walnut back and sides. It sounded nothing like a mahogany or rosewood guitar. I would have a hard time describing the difference but it was fairly obvious to me and others.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Walnut body guitars - What the sonic appeal?-img_2828-jpgWalnut body guitars - What the sonic appeal?-img_2827-jpg

Short scale bass with walnut body. Not very heavy. Not very bright due to short scale, very comfortable to play. Difficult to intonate the low E and B.
    looking at pic...i'd think with bridge saddles as pictured (pretty much straight across) you'd have major intonation problems..low strings should need to be backed up a bit (away from neck)...break out your tuner and a screwdriver! haha

cheers

ps- cool bass!
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-25-2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

My Novax AX-6 (semi-hollowbody; mahogany body):

Walnut body guitars - What the sonic appeal?-novax-ax-6-jpg

And new Novax bass:

Walnut body guitars - What the sonic appeal?-novax-bass-jpg

User Info Menu

Bryant Trenier Walnut Broadway

https://www.archtop.com/ac_12trenier_bwy.html .

1938 Epiphone Broadway

https://www.archtop.com/ac_37bwy715.html
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-26-2016 at 04:10 AM.

User Info Menu

not sure that guitar player magazine is the definitive guide to tone. Afterall, they said that the carvin SX series amps sounded better and more tube-like than actual tube amps (craig anderton). Additionally, in the '80s there were countless articles about how a tight neck joint in a strat was integral to great tone. I played countless '60s and '70s strats and nash strats that sounded great with loose neck joints.

To me, GP mag just talks to be talking. Kind of like we do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    not sure that guitar player magazine is the definitive guide to tone.
    This.

User Info Menu

Used to have one of the Rick Turner Renaissance RS-6 curiously shaped electro-acoustics with a walnut top. Apparently the solid block of mahogany under the bridge contributed more to the (quite good) acoustic (electric) sound. Pretty wood, but we didn't bond.
    Last edited by bananafist; 01-26-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    not sure that guitar player magazine is the definitive guide to tone. Afterall, they said that the carvin SX series amps sounded better and more tube-like than actual tube amps (craig anderton). Additionally, in the '80s there were countless articles about how a tight neck joint in a strat was integral to great tone. I played countless '60s and '70s strats and nash strats that sounded great with loose neck joints.

To me, GP mag just talks to be talking. Kind of like we do. [IMG]file://localhost/Users/fsacquaye/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0clip_image002.png[/IMG]
    Hilarious! I used to WORSHIP Craig Anderton’s articles waay back in the DAY! Now, here you are gracefully taking a poetic #2 on his “genius”! P have arrived. HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Well, Walnut is harder and brighter even than maple, and Walnut backed pre-war Epiphone Broadways are often noted to be cannons with outstanding high end projection for single string lead work.

But that's for the back and sides of an acoustic archtop....
    I think this bolsters the above statement with regards to the accuracy of Guitar Player comments. They’re saying warm so if this is even brighter than maple the GP reviewer might need an extra pair of ears before writing his next tone woods article. This is great!

@ Toat - also mentions brightness so Walnut is probably not for me. I was going for the warm but I’m hearing to many “bright” comments. Invaluable info here ya’ll!!!!! Merci.

@neatomic

The orville Gibson article… good call. Thanks

... and thanks one and all or the input!!!

User Info Menu

Smells nice when you're cutting it, looks nice under finish and has, to me, a fairly neutral sound (doesn't over emphasize certain frequencies), but it seems to vary a lot. Vendors and procedures for cutting and supplying instrument grade spruce, maple, rosewood or mahogany are well established. For walnut, this seems less common so when I get walnut, what that board sounds like seems to vary more than other woods. This is a 1pcs walnut body, carbon fiber reinforced walnut neck and a redwood top.

Quote Originally Posted by Grez
    Smells nice when you're cutting it, looks nice under finish and has, to me, a fairly neutral sound (doesn't over emphasize certain frequencies), but it seems to vary a lot. Vendors and procedures for cutting and supplying instrument grade spruce, maple, rosewood or mahogany are well established. For walnut, this seems less common so when I get walnut, what that board sounds like seems to vary more than other woods. This is a 1pcs walnut body, carbon fiber reinforced walnut neck and a redwood top.

Dude! This is sweet! Can you post a video link of the double cutaway semi hollow (SR-14DC)? Thanks pal!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Bryant Trenier Walnut Broadway

https://www.archtop.com/ac_12trenier_bwy.html .

1938 Epiphone Broadway

https://www.archtop.com/ac_37bwy715.html
    See, that's what I'm talking about!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    Dude! This is sweet! Can you post a video link of the double cutaway semi hollow (SR-14DC)? Thanks pal!!!
    Thank you, This is the only video I have of that guitar. It does have a walnut top and in this case was made intentionally a little bright, by 3 factors, the F-holes were not cut into the top, the top and back are a little thicker and the pickups are moved back towards the bridge slightly.