The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 110

User Info Menu

L50 and CC pickup make a great pair. I'm somewhat of a purist with respect to guitar originality, but my research on this project revealed that Gibson offered this modification back when the L50 was contemporary. Also, I believe that today, an L50 with a CC pickup may more likely be cherished and preserved through time, than a non-modified L50, seeing as the L50 was a low level model.

Keep us posted on how the modification turns out.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I also realized I posted almost nothing about the matching amplifier for this guitar. This is the amplifier used for the last video.

Anyway, many of you are likely 'amp geeks' too, so here are some pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-eh125-jpg 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-my-eh125-jpg 

User Info Menu

So, the magnet of this speaker is an electromagnet and the coil of the electromagnet is also the 'choke' for the power supply. That is, in simple terms, it smoothes out ripples in the DC power supply.

If you ask me, the 'vintage sound' of an amplifier like this is all in the 'vintage speaker,' so at all costs I wanted to preserve the speaker (which was non-working when I got the amp for dirt cheap).

One major issue was the whole friggin field-coil magnet had come loose. I glued it back (this seemingly simple task required centering it with the voice coil, last picture). In case it is not clear, I'm dripping some clear epoxy with a piece of paper.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-loose-field-coil-jpg 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-gluing-field-coil-jpg 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-shims-field-coil-jpg 

User Info Menu

Next issue was a fried voice coil. I searched the internet for something that was similar in size but nothing really available in 6 ohms. So, either I had to wind a new coil or repair the existing one. Turns out the coil was still good; not fried at all, with just one of the whiskers broken off. I unwound a loop and had enough to re-solder the whisker after removing the enamel. Looks like I burned the cardboard but it was OK, a lot of that darkness was flux.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-repaired-coil-lead-jpg 
    Last edited by icr; 09-28-2018 at 09:33 PM.

User Info Menu

After repairing the voice coil, I then had to re-affix it to the spider and the cone. Here I am lining it up. BTW, not shown is the extensive work to clean that channel of debris.

These two don't make much sense unless one has done much speaker repair. There was not enough 'cone' left to re-attach the voice coil. so a 'spacer' of rope was used. The white pieces of paper (the centering shims) indeed got glued to the coil at the top, as expected. To remove them, I slit them with an Exacto knife #11 blade and then pulled the paper out of the channel, leaving a small piece of white paper at the top of the voice coil.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-img_1039-jpg 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-img_1024-jpg 

User Info Menu

Speaker ; Before and After.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-eh-125-speaker-jpg 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-speaker-before-repair-jpg 

User Info Menu

I'm not a 'vintage amp' person. Because all the vintage components needed to be replaced to make it useable again. The only thing that matters is the speaker. But this is just one person's opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-close-up-2-jpg 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-whole-chassis-jpg 

User Info Menu

This is the schematic of the amp before I replaced anything. Most values of the new components were close, but these are the 'historic values' as found in this amp. Which may be different than any other EH-125. BTW drawn with older convention where a 90 degree wire cross is not in continuity unless there is a black dot there.
    I measured all those voltages after component replacement (the amp did not work before). Don't recall why I measured them at 120V, I think it was only later I saw that other Gibson Schematics from that era show 117 volts. Anyway, when I play it at 120 volts the field coil gets pretty hot, so I always run it at 117 volts with a Variac now.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-amps-2-variac-jpg 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-eh125-v1-8-jpg 
    Last edited by icr; 09-28-2018 at 09:23 PM.

User Info Menu

You're an extremely meticulous guy, icr. I'm impressed by the depth of your knowledge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    After repairing the voice coil, I then had to re-affix it to the spider and the cone. Here I am lining it up. BTW, not shown is the extensive work to clean that channel of debris.

These two don't make much sense unless one has done much speaker repair. There was not enough 'cone' left to re-attach the voice coil. so a 'spacer' of rope was used. The white pieces of paper (the centering shims) indeed got glued to the coil at the top, as expected. To remove them, I slit them with an Exacto knife #11 blade and then pulled the paper out of the channel, leaving a small piece of white paper at the top of the voice coil.
    Excellent work there matey. Much kudos amigo.

User Info Menu

Very Cool ICR, very nice job on the restoration and it sounds great !

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This thread shows the EH-125 amplifier with the restored speaker, however, that speaker voice coil rubbed into the field coil and was somewhat destroyed. So a ceramic speaker was fitted. The ceramic speaker was used for the Youtube clips above.

1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-dsc_0524-jpg

User Info Menu

Old thread but so awesome! I’m glad to see this thread come back.

User Info Menu

I realize I'm necro-bumping this thread, but I just wanted to say thanks to icr for sharing the pictures, they were invaluable in my own build. Cheers!

User Info Menu

Hard to believe that was six years ago. I'm closer to retirement now and could probably afford a real ES-150. So, for fun I looked it up. Turns out this is not a good time to buy any guitar.

$8000 can get you a messed up guitar project. Wrong case, wrong knobs, messed up tuners, wrong fingerrest, cracked front, refinished neck just to start. So, still happy with mine for now.

1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-es150-sale-jpeg
    1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-screen-shot-2022-08-09-10-02-36-pm-png

User Info Menu

Prices for vintage Gibsons are crazy at the moment! So glad I bought my 1940 ES-125 for $1200 some years ago… they are asking $3500 for a 1966 ES-125T in a store in Amsterdam at the moment 1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar

Anyway, just reread this whole thread again, loved it!

User Info Menu

Some additional pictures from this project that were not previously posted...for anyone that is interested.

Hand carving the missing brace:
    1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-img_0891-jpg

User Info Menu

Tailpiece modification for jack:

1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-img_1035-jpg

User Info Menu

Reinforcement around the tone and volume pots:
    1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-img_1033-jpg

User Info Menu

Repairing a cracked original back brace:
    1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-img_1050-jpg

User Info Menu

Fixing the split in the back:

1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-re-glue-split-jpg
    1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-img_1061-jpg

User Info Menu

Rather than kerf the new x-braces, I carved them to fit the inner curve of the top. To check the fit, I'm using carbon paper to assess full contact with no gaps.
    1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-img_1016-jpg

User Info Menu

Test fitting fingerrest template:

1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-img_0935-jpg
    1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-img_0969-jpg

User Info Menu

Fixing the cracks in the top:
    1937 Gibson ES-150 Tribute Guitar-img_0889-jpg