Amp
    Settings
    Strings
    Pickups
    Pedals (If you have any)
    What sound you are aiming for

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use a Washburn J6 hollowbody L5 copy D'arrio chromes 11's... Hofner Very thin Classic made in Germany Gibson L5 pure nickel round wound strings 11 to 52 but I sub the 11 and the 14 for a 12 and a 15...Fender CS 1997 Strat Jimi Hendrix Voodoo with Kinman woodstock pickups ,strings Gibson pure nickle 10's RI...Tele copy strings Gibson pure nickel 11's RI...336 copy semi hollow body Seymour Duncan 59 neck ,Custom 5 bridge pickups Gibson strings 11's pure nickel...SG copy strings cleartone 10's NPS...Amps Polytone mini Brute IV,Fender HR Deluxe modified,Peavey Valveking 1X12 50 watts...Pedals Fulltone Fatboost version 1 ,Fulltone Fulldrive II,Line 6 XT Live...What sound depends on what I'm playing for straight ahead jazz clean warm round and full , guitar, cord, amp ...The blues rock a semi broken up tone to screaming leads Robin Ford type Larry Carlton Fender amp Fulltone pedals .
    Last edited by bluemood; 06-07-2009 at 07:33 PM.

User Info Menu

My Jazz setup is pretty simple: Ibanez AK95 w/ a '57 Classic in the neck, Thomastik George Benson 14's (although I 'wimped out' and replaced the high E w/ a 13) into a Phil Jones CUB acoustic amp. I might get kicked off the forum for saying this, but I just can't get into the Polytone/JC-120 sound. I set the amp to get a fairly warm tone with a bit less midrange than most jazz guitarists probably use. I unfortunately don't have a jazz group I gig with regularly, so most of my jazz work is freelance, so I go for a really clean, traditional sound (I think I go for a Russell Malone type sound). If I could, I'd probably go for more of a just barely broken up Wes type of sound. I don't use pedals, but I did break down and get one of those Monster Cables for jazz.

User Info Menu

fender telecaster (a frankentele with plenty of mods, but stock pups) strung with d'addairo chromes, .11 gauge (i have subbed the wound G for an .18 plain in the past, but i've gone back to the wound string)

polytone MBIII, normal setting, EQ set flat, tone adjusted from the guitar (but again, it depends on the room, sometimes i gotta cut a little low on the amp or boost the mid, it all depends)

alesis nanoverb (if the room's dead, most of the time it doesn't get used)

dunlop jazztone picks, 204's or 205's (depends on the mood i'm in)

edit: what sound am i looking for? (forgot that, sorry to the OP)

clean and dry, with good definition between notes in chords so you can hear moving voices. essentially, to bastardize a paul desmondism--i want my guitar to sound like a dry martini.

i will occasionally use a ernie ball volume pedal, and i've also split my signal thru an ibanez chorus a few times, using whatever the house amp is on the other side.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 06-08-2009 at 10:06 PM.

User Info Menu

.:: Condor ES-175 copy (70ies, Japanese) with Gibson Burstbucker #1 at the neck

.:: D'addario 0.012 chromes, flatwounds

.:: Guyatone Twin Reverb copy or Fender Blues Deluxe or Roland Cube 30 (depending on the venue)

.:: Dunlop 207 Jazz pick

.:: Sound I am aiming for: my own sound.... something clean, dry, singing with an acoustic touch, transparent
    Last edited by Little Jay; 06-08-2009 at 11:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Gibson L5
    Fractal Audio Ultra
    Yamaha StagePass 500 PA

I sometimes play an American Archtop instead if I want a more natural sound.

User Info Menu

Guitars: 66 Fender Tele and 2003 Buscarino Cabaret Nylon Cutaway

Amps: Polytone Mini Brute II, Mini Brute III, Twin Raezors Edge 12 inch cabs with an Acoustic Image Clarus I head.

Settings: Everything at 12 on the amps with my tone knob on the tele at 1-2.

Strings: D'Addario 11's chromes on the tele and normal gauge Pro Arte's on the nylon.

Pickups: Gibson mini on the neck of the tele with a Bill Lawrence humbucker on the bridge.

Pedals: Boss ME-50 multi-effects unit.

MW

User Info Menu

Guitars-
    1971 Gibson ES175
    2009 Forshage Ergo - Benedetto buckers

Amps-
    JazzKat 110 watts 8" speaker
    Lil Dawg Tweed Deluxe 22 watts 12" speaker

Strings-
    TI 12 flats

Effects-
    None

User Info Menu

Guitar: 2006 Gretsch Country Club (spruce top "mistake" model)
    Amp: SDG 5E5-A "Fender Pro" clone w/ a JBL D130
    Settings: Varies
    Strings: TI 13 flats (although I just got a pack of Pyramid round-core flats that I am going to try out next)
    Pickups: Gretsch DeArmond-style Dynasonic single-coils
    Pedals (If you have any): What's a pedal?
    What sound you are aiming for: classic, straight-ahead, 1950s-1960s "hi-fi" (Burrell, Farlow, Roberts, et al.)

User Info Menu

Guitar

Koll Custom DL Thinline (similar in appearance to a Gibson ES-346, but very different construction - kind of an archtop/semi-hollow hybrid). I play two of these: one has humbuckers and a hard-tail, the other has P-90s and a Bigsby.

I have a true archtop on order (based on Margaret Slovak's Koll archtop), but that'll probably be in the works for a couple years.

Amp

Amplification varies, but it has to be super clean and reasonably flat.

If I can get away with using a DI into a venue PA, I'l do that. I have a Countryman DI that I bring along just in case the venue doesn't have a good DI.

If I have to carry an amp, I'll use the smallest one I can. I have an AAD Cub and an AER Compact 60.

Sometimes I use a Fender Jazz King at home.

Settings

By ear. See below.

Strings

Round wound: 10 13 18W 24 32 44

Pickups

See above

Pedals

Rarely used. Reverb if the room is dead. I like the Tech 21 Boost RVB and the Digitech DigiVerb.

I play fingerstyle using short nails and go for an articulate sound. I find that too much low-frequency response is bad for articulation, so I tend to roll off the lows. I like strong midrange and smooth, balanced highs.

User Info Menu

What is your Jazz Setup

Guitar
    Eastman 805ce, Fender Standard Telecaster (MIM)
    Amp
    Main - Henriksen Convertible. Others - Polytone Mini-Brute IV (late 70s or early 80s), Roland Cube 30x with an Eminence Delta Demon speaker.
    Settings
    Flat for the most part, depends on the room. On the Henriksen I set the reverb to around 4
    Strings
    Newtone Archtop strings or TI Bebops, 13 gauge (though I just ordered some 12's, need to switch it up occasionally)
    Pickups
    Eastman - Kent Armstrong floating PAF. Tele - Lollar Special T's
    Pedals (If you have any)
    Sold them all years ago
    This is incredibly cliched but I am looking for my own sound.

Jazzarian Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphereacidburn
    What is your Jazz Setup

Guitar
    Amp
    Settings
    Strings
    Pickups
    Pedals (If you have any)
    Gibson Super V CES (blonde) (an L5 with Super 400 neck)
    Gibson ES175 (blonde)
    Ibanez GB10 (blonde)

Mesa Boogie Formula Pre
    Polytone Mini Brute
    various Boogies Mark IIC+, Mark IV and DC3.
    POD X3 Live

Everything STOCK.

User Info Menu

Guitar- 1939 D'Angelico Excel, non cutaway, refinished and refretted.

Pickup- 1950's DeArmond 1100 rhythm chief

Amp- Kustom 12 Gauge solid state amp with 1 12" speaker.

Settings- Depends on the room and how the sound is bouncing around.

Strings- D'Addario Chromes (.013-.056) flatwounds

Pedals-none

Sound- the sound I'm looking for and am getting is a very traditional jazz sound. The combination of the D'A plus the Rhythm Chief delivers a very mellow, sweet sound. I play primarily chord melody using fingertips and not the nails. I accompany my own voice. My style is similar to Joe Pass and John Pizzarrelli (I'm no where as good as either one of them but I like to do that kind of music)

User Info Menu

I am currently using a Fender Tele and a Roland Cube 60 for all gigs now. Because I play a huge variety of music I use D'Addario 11-49 round wound strings. The only other gear I use is a Boss DD3 for additional delay, combined with the cube's reverb. I play fingerstyle for chord melodies, and a pick for faster runs.

User Info Menu

Guitar - 60's Gibson 330 with single pickup
    Amp - 67 Blackface Super Reverb
    Pick up - 57 classic
    Strings - La Bella .015 - .056
    No Pedals, just a 60's style black round wound guitar cable I bought in Tokyo.
    Looking for a sound with a nice warm hazzelnut fragrance...

User Info Menu

I am new to Jazz and new to any disciplined form of guitar playing. It had to happen some time. I've been bedroom jamming for 35 years! I'm so glad I found this website.

I have a blond Korean Antoria Jazz Star with its frets flatted. I think I'll put some Daddario round wound 11s on it to start off with. I like my old metal cased 18v Danelectro Cool Cat (Chorus) to thicken things up a tad. This will go into an Epiphone Valve Junior head (attenuated!) with a very old original Celestion 12 inch Heavy Magnet 30 Watt speaker in a small closed back cab. I think that will give me a Kenny Burrell, Midnight Blue sound, sort of. But I won't know what sort of sound I am happy with for a while, until I have experimented a bit and learnt a few standards.

User Info Menu

Guitars
    D’Angelico NYL-5
    Epiphone Joe Pass
    Ibanez 335-style
    Fender Strat Plus (MIA)
    Yamaha Silent Guitar nylon-string

Amps
    Gigs in reasonable size venues, work with quartet - Vox Valvetronix ADVT 60 modelling amp, onboard fx
    Small gig/rehearsal/more straight ahead stuff in bigger band - Roland Cube 60

Settings
    Vary as to gig and style of song. However, I normally describe myself as sitting in the comfy chair between Kenny Burrell and Grant Green - hopefully that will give you an idea of the sound I want.

Strings
    TI Swing 12’s on D’A and Epi, TI BeBop 12’s on Ibanez, D’Addario rounds on Strat, Savarez nylons string on Yamaha

Pickups
    D’A – Kent Armstrong floater
    Epi JP – Gibson 490T/R
    Ibanez – stock
    Strat – Lace Sensors

Pedals (If you have any)
    Onboard fx, if using Vox
    Roland CE5, DD2, Octave Divider, Yamaha Graphic EQ if using Cube

BUT always a little pinch of reverb to let the sound breathe

What sound you are aiming for?

Again varies as to material; for the most part a warm tone with a little edge and some snap for solo lines. However, I will throw some delay/chorus in on certain songs for different moods. We do some ‘township jive’ kind of stuff (have a South African bassist!!) and for that I try for a “hi-life” kind of sound - bright, super-clean with echo.
    Last edited by mangotango; 06-09-2009 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Forgot the nylon-string - DOH!!

User Info Menu

Currently,

1993 Mexican Fender Stratocaster w/Ernie Ball slinky .11's, played through a mid 80's crap amp called a V.I.P. no pedals, slight reverb, and 2000-ish Takamine G116 Classical with D'Addario nylons.

However, soon to be replaced by,

Don't know which guitar yet, but probably an Ibanez AF105 or PM35 (this changes daily), with some kind of flatwound .11's, played through a Roland Cube 30x.

At the moment I just do my best to get a clean sound so my chord tones stand out on their own (this is not easy with my current amp, especially as the speaker is terrible.), but anyway, this is all a work in progress...as you might have guessed

User Info Menu

Guitars:
    Gibson L-5CES or Johnny Smith
    For variety I'll sometimes use Gibson ES-330T, ES-165 or DeVoe Archtop.

Amps:
    Acoustic Image Clarus 2, Series III with a Raezer's Edge Twin 8 or NY-8 or a Redstone Audio RS12 (depending on venue)
    Or I use a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue.
    Settings are pretty close to flat most times. I generally "take away" bass mid or treble to EQ rather than boost. And on the A.I. amp I generally send a post EQ line out to house PA.

I don't do the pedal dance.

Fritz

User Info Menu

Guitar: Taylor T3
    Amp: Roland Cube-80x (Jazz); Fender Blues Junior tweed NOS (Blues)
    Settings: [Cube] JC (Channel 1); relatively flat; tiny bit of 'verb; [FBJ] Smokin'
    Strings: Light Gauge Nanoweb® Coated Elixir Strings (.010 - .046)
    Pickups: stock
    Pedals (If you have any): Xotic AC Plus (with FBJ only)

User Info Menu

guitar: Sadowsky "Jim Hall" Signature Model, Project Telecaster (Frankenstein)

amp: 1978 Polytone Mini-Brute IV (sometimes a little reverb if the room is dead)

set up: totally clean, I like to hear all the notes of the chords, no muddy sound, hence a little brighter than Jim Hall's tone.

Strings: Currently using Sadowsky flats with a 14 on top and 52 on the bottom for the Sadowsky and 12 to 52 for the Tele.

pickups: Standard Sadowsky neck pickup for the Sadowsky and Joe Barden humbucker for the Tele neck pickup.

pedals: none

goal: I play behind a great singer, usually in a duo, trio or quartet! My favorite things to do when soloing in a small group is to play single lines for one chorus, a chord melody for one chorus and harmonize with single lines with a horn, sax or the vocalist.

User Info Menu

Godin 5th Avenue with heavy (14-59) D'Addarios PB for big band rhythm playing

Godin Summit CT with D'Addario Jazz x-lites for anything I need plugged in

Line 6 Floor Pod Plus for effects (I need a wah-wah, chorus, envelope follower and the occasional bit of distortion in the big band I play in)

Fender Montreux amp.

User Info Menu

I don't consider my playing jazz in itself, but here are my answers FWIW.

Guitar:
    Godin 5th Ave Kingpin, Ibanez PM35NT

Amp:
    1978 Polytone Mini Brute IV, Fender The Twin, Peavey Classic 30

Settings:
    Pretty much flat or all knobs at "noon"

Strings:
    Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing Light (11-47)

Pickups:
    Stock on both guitars, Godin P90 on the Kingpin, Ibanez Super 58 on the PM35.

Pedals (If you have any):
    Presently just have a Sonic Research Turbo-Tuner

What sound you are aiming for:
    A dry and warm sound with a lot of articulation.
    Last edited by Chito; 06-09-2009 at 01:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Guitars: Collings I-35 Deluxe; 2008 American Strat Deluxe; Eastman El Rey 2. Also use a Patrick James Eggle Linville for chord Melody

Amps: Fender DRRI

Settings: Everything at 12 on the amps with my tone knobs on the tele at 1-2. (This setting from above fits me pretty well.)

Strings: Sadowsky Allot 52 10s for the Collings, 10s for the strat, TI Flat 10s for th Eastman. Thomastik Spectrums 12s for the Eggle; Elixirs Nano 10s for the Bourgois.

Pickups: Lollar Imperials in the Collings; stock in the Fender; Kent Armstrong HBs in the Eastman; LR Baggs Element in both the Eggle and Bourgois.

Pedals: Hermida Reverb.

Picks: Fingerstyle primarily, but when I do, I use a V-Pick

Cords: Really like the George Ls and the Planet Waves cords. Cheap, don't unwind, stay screwed in, and don't coil under foot.

Tuner: Planetwaves headstock.

Practice Recorder: Olympus LS-10. Simple to use and playback. Easy to move onto my computer and integrate with garageband. Good sounding recording with exerting too much effort.

I love playing and improving my music. But, I am equally, and I believe, seprately passionate about collecting and playing with the gear. Life is reconciling paradoxes.
    Last edited by msr13; 07-11-2009 at 11:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Guitar: G&L USA Bluesboy (Telecaster style with Humbucker in neck and hollow cavity in body)

Amp: Peavey Classic 50 2x12

Pick Up: Neck position Seymour Duncan Seth Lover humbucker

Strings: Da'darrio 11-49 Round Wound

Picks: Dunlop Jazz III

Cabels: Rapco

Effects: Reverb built into amp

Guitar Settings: Neck pick up with volume and tone turned all the way up

Amp Settings: Every thing at 12 o'clock

Sound: I let the humbucker do all of the work to give me a full sound. By keeping the volume and treble all the way up it's not to dull, and when I attack the strings really hard I can get a bit of grit into my tone.

Cheers