The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 66

User Info Menu

Just learned of this on another forum and thought it would be of interest here. It will be launched at NAMM next week.

Fender George Benson Twin Reverb-image-png

"Inspired by one of the world’s foremost jazz guitarists, George Benson, the all-tube GB Twin Reverb amp produces rich, punchy tone with smooth attack and singing sustain. Dignified looks and refined sound combine with lighter weight in this dream stage amp. Benson demands punch, power and tonality from his equipment, and this dual-channel combo delivers all three with soul to spare.

The GB Twin Reverb is an updated version of the venerable classic amplifier that has been tweaked to satisfy Benson’s discerning ears. The first tube on the Normal channel has been swapped for a 12AY7 tube, providing an alternate low-gain voice that’s ideal for smooth clean tone with complex midrange. Pristine definition is the name of the game with this amp—a pair of neodymium 12” 8-ohm Jensen® Tornado 12 speakers reproduces his dynamic attack, with shimmering highs and plenty of bite when overdriven. These speakers’ reduced weight, plus the addition of a resonant solid pine cabinet, means that working guitarists can enjoy a total weight reduction of 13 pounds. A quartet of powerful 6L6 power tubes power this amp, providing 85 watts of power with plenty of headroom for clean jazz tones.

As refined as the music that inspired it, the GB Twin Reverb’s elegant smoky gray vinyl covering, silver sparkle grille cloth and front panel GB badge combine to create a dignified amplifier that looks equally at home in the living room or under stage lights. Sharp style and warm, round tone mixed with a surplus of sonic power and easy portability—the GB Twin Reverb is a player’s delight. Includes a protective cover."

Last edited by Dirk; 12-20-2019 at 04:07 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ok, cool enough..basically just an extension of (ie. same features as) the prior benson fender amp..but ok..

cheers

User Info Menu

There is no direct mention of weight, but that it will be 13lbs lighter. At 64 lbs for the current Twin Reverb that puts this one at 51 lbs, which is much more manageable.

This link is for Fender international, but I don't see the amp on the US site. Will this be available in the US any time soon?

User Info Menu

Ha." One of the World's Foremost Jazz Guitarists" almost sounds like an understatement regarding Benson.

I was watching that "Art of Jazz Guitar "
    Video on Youtube and he just beats the heck out of the Guitar in a very Musical Way of course and has so much fun when he plays...really creative ..

I call this "wreckless precision".

He just overwhelms the Guitar- it has no chance to resist..

SRV had this quality too...but nowhere near the Mastery of GB of course Musically....

He was talking about this Amp a few years back I think...

User Info Menu

Well I doubt George Benson has to move much more than a pick around, being the Pop Star he is. So I doubt the weight reduction is a big deal for him personally. I've also found at least w/ the Jensen Neos including the Tornado they sound best in closed back cabs as opposed to open back cabs. I'm sure it will be a great sounding addition to the Fender line of amps. For me I'm happy w/ the weight and tone of my Quilters, especially at my age,lol!

User Info Menu

I'm just happy for auld Uncle George that his name still carries commercial clout. Long live George Benson!

User Info Menu

Reverb on both channels and a Polytone tone stack on the Normal channel would be brilliant...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Reverb on both channels and a Polytone tone stack on the Normal channel would be brilliant...
    Polytone tonestack on the normal channel! (Is that a Baxandall tonestack?) You just gave me a nice something to with my Twin this rainy weekend (I already have reverb on both channels.)

Seems like a cool amp. I have 5751 tubes in V1 and V2 of my Twin. I did have a pair of Jensen NEO 12-100s in it, but in the end I preferred a pair of Fender Blue-labeled Pyles, although the NEOs sounded really good as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Polytone tonestack on the normal channel! (Is that a Baxandall tonestack?) You just gave me a nice something to with my Twin this rainy weekend (I already have reverb on both channels.)

Seems like a cool amp. I have 5751 tubes in V1 and V2 of my Twin. I did have a pair of Jensen NEO 12-100s in it, but in the end I preferred a pair of Fender Blue-labeled Pyles, although the NEOs sounded really good as well.
    Yes, a baxandall tone stack. I said Polytone but could have mentioned old Ampegs too. I never tried it but it should sound great on the Normal Channel and make for a very versatile amp!

The Tornados are great speakers, I just don't like the 150 hz with archtops. If you have the tools to attenuate that it's a great speaker!

User Info Menu

A baxandall stack on the first channel would be great. Pine cabinet and neo-12s is cool, too. 51 pounds is getting down to '59 Bassman territory--in an amp with 85-watts and reverb/tremelo.

Now you're talking.

User Info Menu

Silverface TR + 12ay7...... Will be cheaper, better made, and sound better.

but good marketing ploy....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove

And weigh 70 lbs.

User Info Menu

Hard to imagine a setting where a TR is needed for jazz.

Yes, I have one. Use it on occasion for playing surf. Plays LOUD with the volume just above 2.

-don

User Info Menu

I use one on occasion for playing surf.
    Also for clearing snow off the roof.

Plays LOUD with the volume just above 2. Still "clean" at 7.

-don

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Duceditor

-don
    >>> Plays LOUD with the volume just above 2. Still "clean" at 7. <<<

You answered your own question, that is why Jazz players love them lots of clean headroom and that sparkly Fender sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Then replace the stock speakers with Jensen Tornado 12s to shave off about 10 lb. If the original speakers are JBLs, that shaves off more like 18 lb. The Jensen Tornados are about $150 each though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KIRKP
    Then replace the stock speakers with Jensen Tornado 12s to shave off about 10 lb. If the original speakers are JBLs, that shaves off more like 18 lb. The Jensen Tornados are about $150 each though.

Wish they would do a Twin Reverb head like they did with the Deluxe Reverb that would be easier to carry around being two pieces. I got a Vibrolux now and took a look at the Jensen Tornados 10's thinking I could make it a little lighter, but guess they use the same magnet as the 12" because weight difference with regular 10" was only about half a pound, so only my wallet would lose weight.

User Info Menu

Some video of Benson playing through the amp at NAMM this week:

Fender George Benson Twin Reverb-image-jpegFender George Benson Twin Reverb-image-jpeg

User Info Menu

GB is just such an amazing player. Never ceases to amaze me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Wish they would do a Twin Reverb head like they did with the Deluxe Reverb that would be easier to carry around being two pieces. I got a Vibrolux now and took a look at the Jensen Tornados 10's thinking I could make it a little lighter, but guess they use the same magnet as the 12" because weight difference with regular 10" was only about half a pound, so only my wallet would lose weight.
    Consider a silver face Bandmaster Reverb head (40W), or if you don't need reverb, a Bandmaster or Showman head (85W). For the non-reverb models the Normal channel is the one to use.
    Last edited by KirkP; 01-24-2016 at 06:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Duceditor

Plays LOUD with the volume just above 2. Still "clean" at 7.

-don
    I remember using my SF Twin as a bedside table when I moved and didn't have any furniture.
    The thing is so big, I could imagine taking out the Jensens and living in it if I ever find myself homeless.

I had a real big, high paying gig, so i got my tech to give it a tune-up, and then was surprised to find that it sounded like schitz when I played my B-120 archtop through it during the sound check. Luckily, I brought my Parker solid body as a back-up, and wound up getting the best non-jazz sound I've ever gotten out of a rig.

User Info Menu

Doesn't a Dual Showman = Twin head?

i bought a SF Twin for $275 a few years ago. The seller had it in an upstairs closet, and I had to carry it down the stairs. Nearly blew out my knee. Kind of wish I didn't sell it, but, seeing as I could barely move it I needed another amp.
    Last edited by Bach5G; 01-24-2016 at 08:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Doesn't a Dual Showman = Twin head?

i bought a SF Twin for $275 a few years ago. The seller had it in an upstairs closet, and I had to carry it down the stairs. Nearly blew out my knee. Kind of wish I didn't sell it, but, seeing as I could barely move it I needed another amp.

Showman didn't intially have reverb because it was head only, years later Fender made a Showman head with reverb. But Showman and TR are basically the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlainJazz
    GB is just such an amazing player. Never ceases to amaze me.

Me too.
    Even before I liked Jazz as much I always loved Benson.
    He is so wild and free and has so much Blues and R&B Feel ...and dramatic funky sense of Time - still unparalleled at this Style (?) by any Guitarist after 50 years....
    Clip below-
    Playing this fast is one thing-
    Then add swinging this hard and so precisely and rhythmically-
    Then add emotion and taste-

It's a very very small "Field" at this point...

Benson is kind of like Michael Brecker but on Guitar maybe the closest thing anyway so far...

You Tube just fed me this Video of
    Benson- listen to this almost unbelievable rendition of "So What".
    Including the single lines (!!) comping and his Solo Chord Climax etc. etc.
    George Benson - So What, Live In Pori Jazz 1988:

Go to about 5:25 and hear one of the most amazing extended Solos ever on Guitar...
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 01-26-2016 at 12:25 PM.

User Info Menu