The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Hello! I just received my new guitar, really excited here. After three years I finally bought a new guitar, I was guitarless and it sucked. Anyway, after checking out lots of reviews, including many of them on this forum, I decided to buy the Epiphone ES-175 Premium Wine Red, and found it for a pretty good price, 509 pounds at Gear4music.com and they also shipped it without any issue and fast - just seven days - to Romania. I chose the Premium version just because I wanted to get one thing of my mind, at least for starters, which is upgrading the pickups.

Here are the same pictures uploaded to Imgur for better quality.
    Epiphone Es-175 Premium Wine Red - Album on Imgur

The "e" sign almost fell off the pickguard after having one beer and looking at it.
    I'm an amateur and my goal is to learn how to play jazz; I'm sure I'll find some inspiring tips on this forum. But, unfortunately, it means I'll not be able to comment on some important characteristics of this guitar yet. However, I have a couple of them, as well as some questions.

The guitar looks great, as the color really fits it. I craved for the Wine Red and they actually sold it for the lowest price, with the SB version being the most expensive. The finish is as expected and I prefer this semimatte finish. The color is livelier than most photos convey, although it does retain a darker elegant appearance. I'm shallow. Or hollow? I love it anyway.

I haven't had the chance to plug it yet, as I'm still thinking about a way of listening to it - I live in a student dorm. Acoustically it sounds as expected, if not a bit better and I will definitely practice unplugged, which was an important criteria. Yes, the sound is a bit dampened, but totally workable. Priorly (it's now a word), I had a solid spruce top acoustic Ibanez. Just slightly knocking the Epiphone on the sides gives me a weird feeling, the plywood feels cheap in the curves.

I was pretty much set on buying a Roland Cube. But now, after playing it unplugged, I wonder how loud could I play in the dorm so I could actually hear the amped sound over its acoustic sound without causing an uproar? I'm not really sure what should I buy now - just a (tube) preamp pedal and some good headphones and regular speakers or a guitar amp? I'm trying to obtain a jazz sound, but I'm not eschewing from some overdriven or distorted sounds as well. There will probably be no gigs in the foreseeable future Any recommendation is more than welcomed!

The action is a bit higher than expected and the high E needs proper intonation. I'll probably settle that with the help of a luthier who should install a 0.12 set of strings.

As you can see in the first Imgur photo the saddle seems conspicuously raised in the middle and, frankly, it does not seem right. What do you think, is that a problem?

The bridge pickup, although I haven't had a chance of hearing it, is a bit wobbly, it move left-right in its place. Should I just tighten the screw or leave it like that? The nut doesn't look amazing, it just seems a cheap peace of plastic. But I can't really say how much it influences the sound until I'll change it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Epiphone ES-175 Premium Wine Red-20160113_230311-jpg Epiphone ES-175 Premium Wine Red-20160113_231613-jpg Epiphone ES-175 Premium Wine Red-20160113_231418-jpg Epiphone ES-175 Premium Wine Red-20160113_230733-jpg Epiphone ES-175 Premium Wine Red-20160113_230434-jpg Epiphone ES-175 Premium Wine Red-20160113_230111-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My favorite color in this model. I played several in stores to see if they were consistent as far as quality and tone.

All had amazing tone amplified. Classic 57 pickups. Sounded like much more expensive guitars do. I don't think you will ever have to change the pickups. If you do, you'll be chasing your own tail, they are that good!

The quality was not consistent, although I played floor models, and apparently they were played hard. Still they had problems that they shouldn't have had.

For the price, I thought these guitars are an excellent value. A few small tweaks are commonly necessary with most guitars, but I did love the tone.

User Info Menu

What can I say, great value for the money. I like the Epiphone headstock. Goes well with the rest of the package.

Strange as it may sound, Wine Red is considered an "economy" finish in the Gibson/Epiphone catalogue. It is a classy-looking finish that other makers would charge a premium for. A Gibson tradition. You gain. But what do I know about class?

Change the nut to bone or TUSQ. I like a wooden saddle so I would look into that too. With a proper set-up it should sound great.

That's the cleanest student dorm room I have seen in a while...

PS Check out the Vox Amphone Twin or Amplug 2 Classic Rock plus headphones. For a student dorm, it may be a godsend.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-14-2016 at 02:17 PM.

User Info Menu

You should look into Yamaha's line of THR amplifiers, like the THR10 or the THR10C. They are great and versatile tools for practicing.

@Jabberwocky
    Huh, I wouldn't have thought that Gibson considers Wine Red an "economy" finish, it looks great. That's puzzling. I'm definitely going to change the nut asap. I'm still wondering about the saddle, which has its middle part raised, shouldn't it be lying flat on the top of the guitar for complete sound transmission? (PS: Cleanliness is in the hand of the photographer)

@Duotone Thanks for the tip!

@Jimmy Mack Great to hear your impressions on the tone. It surely looks like it needs a proper setup and only afterwards I think I'll be able to share my view on the whole package.

User Info Menu

That color looks much more like Gibson's "Antique Cherry" than "Wine Red" - Less purple......

Very pretty in any case!

User Info Menu

Cool Guitar. Welcome to the Epi 175 club

Too bad about that ill fitting bridge, but at least the gap looks like it's in the middle rather than on the ends.
    Does it sound good? If you don't hear a problem, I'd leave it for the time being.

Mine had one tuner that didn't work too well, but other than that it's been great.

User Info Menu

That nut looks fine I wouldn't change it, I don't think a nut affects the sound. I'll check the bridge on mine to see if it makes contact in the middle. The outside legs seem to be making good contact. R

User Info Menu

nice colour that too
    nice guitar
    Last edited by pingu; 01-15-2016 at 05:59 PM.

User Info Menu

I've played a few of these, the neck isn't what I like, but overall, they're quite good, and get about as close to the sound of an actual 175 as I've heard of any contemporary budget minded copies.

I really like the wine red on these...the natural is a bit "pale," and the sunburst is wonky shaped...red is definitely where it's at on this guitar.

I wouldn't be too concerned about upgrading yet.

It's still an electric guitar, and if the goal is to play it with others eventually, you should get used to it's plugged in sound. I'm a big fan of the Roland Microcube for practice...just hearing how even a small speaker effects the low end and sustain is important, and can be quite inspiring.

Enjoy your new guitar, it's a winner.

User Info Menu

I like that color. I spent a few years looking for the right ES-175 to match my other red guitars.
    Epiphone ES-175 Premium Wine Red-img_0568-jpg

User Info Menu

That's a two-footer bridge. Nothing amiss with it.
    http://koentoppguitars.com/blog/the-...et-or-no-feet/

User Info Menu

Nice collection of "reds". I need to get the wine red epi to match my "economy" wine red wesmo! R

User Info Menu

You fellas won't be happy until Gibson makes you pay more for Wine Red, will ya? Be glad that it is the "economy" finish. That's $500 more in the pocket when you compare an L5CES WR to an ASB. Wine Red and Ebony are the "cheap" finishes.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-14-2016 at 02:45 PM.

On mine, I had to remove the bridge to remove some tiny pieces of wood left from drilling the bridge pin holes.
    This enabled the pins to fit in the holes better.
    There is some tendency on mine for the strings to pull the bridge forward when tightening up the string to pitch, so pay attention.
    I removed the pick guard as there was some buzzing, but plan on putting it back after trimming or adding O-rings.

User Info Menu

Have to disagree guys, and I don't intend to drive the OP into despair, because I think he has fabulous guitar, and it can only get better, or be fine if left alone!

But the bridge is fine as is - that nut DOES NOT look "fine". Look again. String slot? Sloppy trimming left-overs?

User Info Menu

The nut definitely needs cleaning up it has burrs all over it, for the money I'm surprised they don't have a bone nut as standard.
    Last edited by Para; 01-15-2016 at 06:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Para
    The nut definitely needs cleaning up it has burrs all over it, for the money I'm surprised they don't have a bone nut as standard.
    I had exactly the same on my new Epi Broadway.

Easy fix, that I could accept at this price level

Congrats on your new guitar, Archtalk ! Enjoy and play it in good health !

User Info Menu

The bridge is fine thats how they are. if you take it off and look underneath you will see two metal spots that come through. This is why it is raised. I mentioned this in my review of them a few months back.

Replace the bridge bass with a good one and the nut. If you can find a way to secure the pick up from wobbling (the old fashioned way) then do so.

Do not buy a tube amp if you live in a dorm, solid state is best.

Great sounding, easy to play guitars. Yes the wood does feel cheap, almost fake in places but they are good guitars none the less and through a mesa boogie (dont ask why lol) they sound just like an es-175 pretty much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack
    Have to disagree guys, and I don't intend to drive the OP into despair, because I think he has fabulous guitar, and it can only get better, or be fine if left alone!

But the bridge is fine as is - that nut DOES NOT look "fine". Look again. String slot? Sloppy trimming left-overs?
    i defer to your knowledge !
    I've edited my post

User Info Menu

A cheap way to clean up sloppy nut slots is to go to Home Depot and get a welding tip cleaner set. These have a reasonably fine abrasive and come in many different gauges. Costs about $5--MUCH cheaper than Stew Mac slot files for a one-time job.

User Info Menu

Congrats on a fine guitar!

Love the SB matted finish on mine, (got lucky when the place I bought it from didn't open up the drop down box at the website to see the SB was more than the others and gave me the lower price)

These are very nice guitars for the $$ --can't go wrong!

Happy Playing!

User Info Menu

The bridge is fine enough OK, but FYI, they don't all fit that way. I'm not saying the gap is super bad or anything, only that my own Epiphone es175 premium came from GC with a flush fitting bridge. No need for the OP to freak out . . . just sharing some information.

Regarding the nut, sure it needs some clean up. Mine did too. But I don't get the big deal.
    A few moments with some fine grit sand paper to clean it up during a string change & a little pencil lead . . .

This guitar is a great player ---- enjoy !!!!