The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 64

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

Ibought recently a Gibson es 175 and I m looking for a good quality gigbag to take it everywhere safely. I've always used the reunion blues before and I really like them. Do you know if they have a model that fits? I have the semi hollow model and it fits but I feel it's too small

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Glenn Cronkhite

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Glenn Cronkhite

Thanks for the reply, I bet they are even more expensive than the reunion blues. I was more thinking of a model of reunion blues that would be a good fit for the 175. I feel that the semi hollow is kind of too tight.

User Info Menu

I am curious as to why people buy a gig bag rather than a hard shell case. I assume there are advantages that I am not aware of. Some of the better gig bags seem to just as heavy or even heavier than a hard shell case.

Danielle

User Info Menu

the reason i prefer gig bag over a hard case is because i can carry it on back. makes it much easier for me.
    reunion blues is good, better than the mono.
    Last edited by jazzguy100; 01-13-2016 at 09:25 PM.

My reunion Blues case feels very safe for my guitar, convenient to cary and lighter than any hard cases I've ever had.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I am curious as to why people buy a gig bag rather than a hard shell case. I assume there are advantages that I am not aware of. Some of the better gig bags seem to just as heavy or even heavier than a hard shell case.

Danielle
    I been used gig bags for years (expect archtops) and they are so handy, less weight, lots of pockets for stuff, quick to get guitar in and out of and start playing and last a lot of times easier to put in and out of a car since thinner. If I could find good general purpose sized gig bag for my archtops I'd get one.

Also for Fender style guitars and traveling you can use keyboard cases and put the guitar in the gig bag inside the hard care. Get to the destination just pull out the gig bag and leave the hard case at club or hotel.

I have a Mono M80 for my 175. It's well built, protests well. But they run about $200 or so.

Reunion Blues makes the RBX series. Which I think is ~$100. You would want the dreadnought size.

User Info Menu

Reunion Blues Continental! Check out our own David B's video:

I have one for an archtop I bought recently. Opened up my eyes to the wonder of a gigbag. Everybody should have one. Hard shell cases are for long-term storage. Not practical for big city living when one has to walk and move about on the subway.

I got this one: Reunion Blues Gig Bags & Cases - Product - RB Continental Dreadnought Guitar Case - Midnight Series .

http://www.amazon.com/Reunion-Blues-...n+blues+RBA2BK .
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-13-2016 at 11:59 PM.

This is the one I have for a semi hollow! I really like it also. But I feel the guitar can move around in the dreadnought.

User Info Menu

A dread is about 16" in the lower bout, no? Same lower bout width as the ES-175 and only 0.75" deeper. You could make up the difference with a panel of eggcrate foam.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've actually been looking for something like that. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I just bought a Reunion Blues Continental for my Eastman AR 371. My hard case was staring to fall apart. I also got the dreadnought model. It's very solid. Don't know if it would fit a 175 or that I'd use it if I had a real 175. Works for me.

User Info Menu

If you ever get a chance to check out a Tric Case, have a close look at it. I had one a few years ago and it was excellent. Sort of a hybrid gig bag but with a semi rigid foam structure; light as a feather.

User Info Menu

The TRIC reminds me of these: Saga Music : Saga Musical Instruments .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux
    If you ever get a chance to check out a Tric Case, have a close look at it. I had one a few years ago and it was excellent. Sort of a hybrid gig bag but with a semi rigid foam structure; light as a feather.
    I just ordered a TRIC Deluxe Multifit case for my 1961 Guild CE-100.

User Info Menu

good idea to buy a good gig bag
    i think good gig bag is safer than a hard case for everyday use (not for airplane)
    i have seen a lot of gibson with a broken headstock after... a small fall with a hard case

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    I just ordered a TRIC Deluxe Multifit case for my 1961 Guild CE-100.
    Please report back once you've got it in your hands. I've got a couple of Heritage Eagles that would benefit greatly from a good lightweight gig bag or case; however, they are 16 7/8" at the lower bout, so I don't know whether or not they would work with the TRIC case. Let us know if there is any give at the bottom that would accommodate another 3/4 of an inch.

User Info Menu

Just a note to add that after I recorded that rambling video about the RB Continental bag, a pro-musician friend purchased a number of them for his touring setup. He advises me that the bags have been updated since I got mine and have addressed the issue about the strap position and the bag riding high on the back.

User Info Menu

Another vote for Tric. The case for the Godin 5th Avenue should fit an ES-175.

Thank you for all the answers.

I've looked into all the models and just received a message from glenn cronkhite with some of his models. His work looks indeed great, but I don't feel his gigbags are as protective as the reunion blues or the Trics. I am going to need to take the plane pretty soon, and I am still not sure what is safer.

I just want it to be safe, especially the headstock.

User Info Menu

"but I don't feel his gigbags are as protective as the reunion blues"

Glenn's bags are better than the current reunion blues bags
    but if you're flying you don't want a gig bag anyway.

User Info Menu

wintermoon -
    The reunion blues continental line have a semi-rigid structure completely different from the classic leather RB bags. Obviously, a bag from Glenn would be nicer than the current RB offerings of their own classic line. However, I have to say the Continentals are a whole different thing, and really fantastic. It's basically a very well padded bag with an exoskeleton.

To the OP's question - my '37 ES-150 (16" body) does fit in the "small body acoustic/classical guitar" size bag (RBC3), but I think you may prefer the more roomy "dreadnaught size" (RBA2). I have both, and the ES-150's headstock barely fits, and I'm guessing a ES-175 style headstock is slightly bigger. Given the nature of the semi-rigid bag, I think the larger one would be perfect, and won't be too big. It definitely doesn't fit a 17" Gibson.