The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 64
    I am taking the plane but the guitar comes with me.

I just have the feeling that his gigbags look more "flexible" when the reunion blues aren't.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin
    I am taking the plane but the guitar comes with me.
    In that case (npi), definitely get a bag. I used to fly (npi) with a Parker Fly in a slim gig bag. Nobody ever even questioned me and I just tossed it into the overhead on top of other luggage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by katamaranos

Reminds me of when I bought a Gibson Country Gent. When the guitar was shipped by Gibson to the store, the store called to tell me "you don't want to see it. We'll let you know when Gibson sends a replacement.". The floating bridge came loose and travelled around the case beating up the guitar for a couple thousand miles.

User Info Menu

Just a thought, my Loar LH-600 came with a lightweight case, which provides adequate protection for reasonable outdoor transportation, has strap attachments to carry over the shoulder (a la gig bag) and is also extremely comfortable to carry.
    The LH-600's dimensions are pretty much identical to those of an ES-175.
    After reading this thread, I took a look at the case, and noticed the zippers are branded AXL, which I googled and found the USA company who handle distribution of The Loar, and also Guardian cases, whose Featherweight line looks more or less identical to my Loar case.
    So, you could possibly e-mail AXL, and verify if the Loars are being shipped in Guardian cases, enquire which specific model of case, and hopefully, problem solved.

Guardian

AXL Music Instruments

User Info Menu

I'll post this for reference,
    A Japanese shop, stringphonic.com have a wide range of lightweight guitar cases, specifically for archtops, including an 18" model for Super 400 owners. They ship worldwide.

??????

Interestingly, they also have their own range of guitars including Sel/Macs,
    Stringphonic Original Selmer Replica

and original design archtops,
    Stringphonic Original Lang-C Std.
    Stringphonic Original Kress-C Std.

No affiliation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin
    Hi everyone,

Ibought recently a Gibson es 175 and I m looking for a good quality gigbag to take it everywhere safely. I've always used the reunion blues before and I really like them. Do you know if they have a model that fits? I have the semi hollow model and it fits but I feel it's too small
    You could always contact Reunion Blues directly and ask them which gig bag fits. I bet they could help you.

info@reunionblues.com

http://reunionblues.com/about/contact

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    A Japanese shop, stringphonic.com have a wide range of lightweight guitar cases, specifically for archtops, including an 18" model for Super 400 owners. They ship worldwide.

??????

Interestingly, they also have their own range of guitars including Sel/Macs,
    Stringphonic Original Selmer Replica

and original design archtops,
    Stringphonic Original Lang-C Std.
    Stringphonic Original Kress-C Std.

No affiliation.
    Can we get that in English?

User Info Menu

The TRIC bag was delivered this morning. On initial inspection the fit appears to be perfect. More details with pictures will follow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg

??????
    Those cases look interesting. But please don't tell me Oply is supposed to be Opry. That would be too predictable

User Info Menu

I wish I could find one of these bad boys locally to evaluate it. They even have a double elec/acous version that would carry your archtop AND your solid/semi.

Pro-Go Ultimate Guitar Gig Bags

User Info Menu

Okay, the pictures and full assessment are in!

Velcro closure for the handles seems sturdy, as does the zipper. The zipper maintains a secure seal between the top and body of the case, and the cover itself should be able to withstand plenty of use, and a little abuse.

The pocket on the front is big enough from top to bottom and side to side, but it has virtually no depth to it. It will handle a thin book or a handful of sheets of paper, and not much more.

As you can see, there is little room to spare beside the headstock and tuners, but there is little to no wiggle of the guitar, so I am calling it an efficient use of space. The hinges are made of plastic, and as such "may" be prone to the effects of stress over time, but we shall see. The good news, from what I have found online, is that they are relatively easy to replace if necessary, and I am not a high stress user, so I am not concerned.

Zero wiggle room at the upper bout, and what can't be seen from this photo is what amounts to a cutout for the neck heel, so that the guitar fits securely.

Zero wiggle room at the lower bout as well. There is not a cutout for the strap button, and that would not be a bad update, but as securely as the guitar fits it shouldn't be an issue. And for the only real issue I have with this case, notice the strap that secures the top of the case to the body, and then notice the protruding tongue just below it that fits into the groove on the top to create a thermal seal. The strap is outside of the tongue, and when closing the case that strap gets folded across the tongue and onto the guitar. As the case closes that strap gets wedged between the tongue and groove thereby slightly compromising the seal at that location. Over time what effect will that have on the overall seal? It would be nice if there was a way to attach the strap to the inside of the tongue and groove so that it does not interfere with the seal.

Here you can see the accommodation for the neck heel.

D rings for the back straps seem sturdy enough.

The inner storage compartment is very spacious.

So there it is. Ultimately, this appears to be a very good option for an ES-175 or CE-100.
    Last edited by snoskier63; 01-23-2016 at 04:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you, snoskier for showing the TRIC case. A word to the wise: keep it away from high heat radiators, fireplaces, hot wire or hot knives, hair-dryers and polystyrene glue. Expanded foam is not very durable. I'm concerned about its longevity as a case.

How much did it cost ya, may I ask?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Thank you, snoskier for showing the TRIC case. A word to the wise: keep it away from high heat radiators, fireplaces, hot wire or hot knives, hair-dryers and polystyrene glue. Expanded foam is not very durable. I'm concerned about its longevity as a case.

How much did it cost ya, may I ask?
    $99 and free shipping.

Today I dropped off this guitar in this case with the guy who maintains my guitars so that he can fully secure the headstock veneer, the binding in the cutaway, and give it a proper setup. Waiting for pickup in his shop was another guitar in this same case, only without the cordura cover. It looked fairly old and well used, but was physically very sturdy and appeared to be able to handle many more years of service. With normal care this case should last me many, many years.
    Last edited by snoskier63; 01-23-2016 at 04:59 PM.

User Info Menu

That's easily the best case review I've seen on a message board. Good work.

User Info Menu

I've been using this Gator soft case for my archtops for about a year now. It protects the guitar well, and you can move the foam block (it's velcro-ed in) for a near perfect fit. It's very comfortable when I have a long hike, and it has enough storage that for small gigs I can fit everything in it except the amp.

Gator ProGo Ultimate Gig Bag - Acoustic Guitar | Sweetwater.com

There are still some occasions when I use a hard case but not often any more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dfclark
    I've been using this Gator soft case for my archtops for about a year now. It protects the guitar well, and you can move the foam block (it's velcro-ed in) for a near perfect fit. It's very comfortable when I have a long hike, and it has enough storage that for small gigs I can fit everything in it except the amp.

Gator ProGo Ultimate Gig Bag - Acoustic Guitar | Sweetwater.com

There are still some occasions when I use a hard case but not often any more.
    Those Gator Cases look appealing, but the problem is that the local Guitar Center doesn't carry any high end gig bags in stock, so I can't get a hands on feel for their quality. Along with the quality and weight of the bag, I'd like to see how closely the dreadnought bags fit my jazz boxes since they aren't necessarily designed for archtops.

If they had at least one demo of each quality bag they offer online, I almost certainly would own either a Reunion Blues Continental or a Mono by now.

User Info Menu

I have a Mono M80 bag for my Aristocrat, and I like it a lot.

User Info Menu

The Gator acoustic case is higher quality than any other gigbag I've seen, except for custom made ones and the Reunion Blues. It fits all my archtops. I've got L5-sized, an ES-175 copy, and an old Harmony Monterey (which is fairly small). Just check the lower bout and height dimensions (including the bridge) and you should be fine.

Another idea: Get it from Amazon. Free returns if it doesn't fit. :-)

dC

User Info Menu

I considered the Gator when getting a bag for my Aristocrat. The Gator is a little less expensive than the Mono, yet in terms of protection the Gator and Mono were comparable, which favors the Gator. I liked the ability to remove the neck pad and padding on the bottom with the Gator for use with multiple guitars, but because I needed a case for only one guitar it wasn't a needed feature for me. The outer covering on the Mono appeared slightly more durable, and the Mono protects from the elements without having to mess with a cover, which was the kicker for me. They are both quality bags, so you can't go wrong either way. The Gator is a little more versatile, and is a little less expensive, so it's definitely a bag to consider.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know if this would fit a 175?

Hiscox PRO-II OM/OOO Case – Thomann Ireland

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acidskiffle
    Does anyone know if this would fit a 175?

Hiscox PRO-II OM/OOO Case – Thomann Ireland
    I have no experience with that, but I have had a Protection Racket gigbag for my ES-175 for some years now and it is all I have ever hoped for. Light and handy and the guitar is still in condition!

Paid here in Finland a bit over 100€ for it.
    Acoustic Guitar Case Std - Protection Racket

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    I have no experience with that, but I have had a Protection Racket gigbag for my ES-175 for some years now and it is all I have ever hoped for. Light and handy and the guitar is still in condition!

Paid here in Finland a bit over 100€ for it.
    Acoustic Guitar Case Std - Protection Racket
    So, I used a Hiscox "dreadnaught" case for my 1937 ES-150 which is also 16" like a 175.
    It fit fine, but it needed a little extra padding around the butt of the gutiar.
    That said, I emailed Hiscox, and they sent out a couple little pads that would cling to the case and make the difference.

User Info Menu

I'm joining this thread six years late... But if anyone is still there, I was wondering if anyone knows what case would fit an Ibanez 2355M? The Ibanez 2355M is a copy of the Gibson ES-175 - but I do not know if they're dimensions are exactly the same. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thalatta
    I'm joining this thread six years late... But if anyone is still there, I was wondering if anyone knows what case would fit an Ibanez 2355M? The Ibanez 2355M is a copy of the Gibson ES-175 - but I do not know if they're dimensions are exactly the same. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!
    Any dreadnought sized bag will fit. I have two, a Mono M80 and a Music Area Wind 30. Both fit a 175.