The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 189

User Info Menu

That is one impressive looking instrument, 2B. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, ding dong dammit, I can't top that big beauty.

I'm sure it will play most easily and sound majestic.

I can't wait for the final poses.

Congrats, my friend!

Soon you'll get to sweat out shipping, then you're home free.

User Info Menu

I'm sure you will ensure that guitar to the hilt. When I bought my Godin LGX-SA some years ago, it shipped Fed Express and got to within fifty miles of my home until someone stole in Fed Ex stole it! Fortunately the second one was finally delivered and I did not lose any money but it was not a pleasant experience. Not to jinx you. Just a friendly reminder. She's too pretty to lose. And much less replaceable.

User Info Menu

That is one of the classiest guitars I have ever seen. All the best rolled into one. I love the top carve on that axe. That Mr.Wu has some super serious talent. Can you imagine what that axe would cost if it was made here.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    That is one of the classiest guitars I have ever seen. All the best rolled into one. I love the top carve on that axe. That Mr.Wu has some super serious talent. Can you imagine what that axe would cost if it was made here.
    Yes Vinny. It would be "priced" out of my reach!

User Info Menu

That. Is. Awesome.

-Chris

User Info Menu

♪ ♩ ♪ Sexy Sweet Eighteen ... ♪ ♩ ♪

Glad it comes out so well ! Impressive.

With the new forum way of showing the 1st original post, it's easy to feel it comes a long way of craftmanship, from blue print to an almost living being.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Vin, I think I'm going to do it. Seeing these pictures put me over the edge.
    2b, that's amazing. That might be your baby right there..
    unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Vin, I think I'm going to do it. Seeing these pictures put me over the edge.
    2b, that's amazing. That might be your baby right there..
    unreal.
    I'm happy many are diggin' it JD.

My motivation for the dimensions of this guitar began from owning two different well known archtops - A Guild Artist Award and a Gibson Super 400. The AA, being acoustic, was my first 17" acoustic archtop deeper than the common 3" depth. That extra depth reveals itself in that guitars tonality, both electrically and acoustically. I was immediately sold on the idea of 'more is better' to my ears...even when comparing an 18" SE with it's common 3" depth, a 17" AA with 3.25" in depth stood it's tonal ground. A best of both world's experience occurred after acquiring a rare 18" SE with a 3.25" depth, that even with a single routed humbucker that guitar sings. Enter my former Super 400 electric dual HB, and the fact I'd have preferred an acoustic Super 400 with an '1100, finally set the stage for ordering heretofore known as Ms. Gumbo, at 18" and a 3.5" depth. More is better? We'll see soon enough...sometimes you have to roll the dice and see if your intuition is leading you in the right direction...but easy to gamble when it's affordable.

Pick guard installed. Last step to do, to place a semi gloss on tailpiece and pick guard

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 02-13-2016 at 11:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Shit, it's sexier with clothes on. Sign of a real beauty.

User Info Menu

Outstanding 2b.
    Wow.

Okay final step. I erred in requesting a bound pick guard. It's too busy and the binding shade is a mismatch of outer rim binding...and a plain guard will better match the tailpiece. So I've ordered an identical pick guard but the second one will be unbound. Second times a charm.

User Info Menu

​Breathtaking !!

User Info Menu

@2b, that body style doesn't look anything like what usually comes out of China. This looks more like an American archtop(L5). Did you ask for that style? Looks great.

The body style that typically comes from Yunzhi and Wu has the cutaway that, to me, resembles a thumb sticking out hitchhiking. It breaks up the flow of the body.
    Last edited by edh; 02-14-2016 at 03:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Okay final step. I erred in requesting a bound pick guard. It's too busy and the binding shade is a mismatch of outer rim binding...and a plain guard will better match the tailpiece. So I've ordered an identical pick guard but the second one will be unbound. Second times a charm.
    Ok it's a 25.5" ,22fret , one assumes purely for acoustic purposes right?
    well it's certainly a looker , love the headstock , split block markers and
    the overall tasteful design. Will you post sound clips too?
    Are you hiding your light under a bushel here ?I gather that you may
    have also played flugelhorn in addition to piano & guitar.
    Being also an old school Jazz afficionado the uniqueness of
    the new guitar has great appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    @2b, that body style doesn't look anything like what usually comes out of China. This looks more like an American archtop(L5). Did you ask for that style? Looks great.

The body style that typically comes from Yunzhi and Wu has the cutaway that, to me, resembles a thumb sticking out hitchhiking. It breaks up the flow of the body.
    From the outset there was a clear attempt to give it an American appearance. That was my main goal. 4 attempts were made on paper at the cutaway alone before settling on this one. Mr Wu has a very keen eye, which thanks to Lora's assistance, I learned keeping the communication simple was key in bringing a basic outline to life. Deciding upon the shape was the most challenging part.

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Ok it's a 25.5" ,22fret , one assumes purely for acoustic purposes right?
    well it's certainly a looker , love the headstock , split block markers and
    the overall tasteful design. Will you post sound clips too?
    Are you hiding your light under a bushel here ?I gather that you may
    have also played flugelhorn in addition to piano & guitar.
    Being also an old school Jazz afficionado the uniqueness of
    the new guitar has great appeal.
    Every 18" I've owned, acoustic and electric, has had a 25.5" scale, so it's the one I'm most familiar with. I prefer the aesthetic appearance of 22 frets, especially on an 18" guitar with a floating pickup. Yes, I'll post clips on this guitar once she's been dialed in by a trusted luthier. I've come to guitar later in life, and I'm enjoying the journey. There's nothing like applying oneself towards learning something new!

Thanks to all for the encouring words on her appearance, but all thanks go to Lora and Mr Wu for making this concept guitar a reality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Kinda fun huh Mike!

Yes, when you get to this stage in the build and your dream has materialized it's crazy exciting - better than anything except maybe LOVE.

I knew yours would be the first to come out, since you ordered a lot earlier than I did, and I think then Abello's will be next because he too ordered before me. BUT I am excited - excited for how great your guitar turned out, excited for Abello because his guitar also is so unique and stunning, and of course excited for me because what I ordered really is my dream. And lastly I am excited for any of the people reading this thread because I bet a lot of guys are saying "Hey, why not, I'm going to order my own dream guitar after seeing these"

Mr Wu's craft has really come a very long way.

Big

User Info Menu

The application of color is very Benedetto like..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    The application of color is very Benedetto like..
    JD , I completely agree, the tone & colour.is very similar to my Guild/Benedetto X700 &.
    near to Bob B's particular favourite Opulent Brown. Btw I've retrieved it from the sale
    on consignment with no takers presently so it's back with its other brothers at home.
    I suspect that Mr Wu & Ms Lora will be getting a few enquiries after seeing 2b's new
    masterpiece, I reckon you're champing at the bit in conjunction with others .

Best

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    JD , I completely agree, the tone & colour.is very similar to my Guild/Benedetto X700 &.
    near to Bob B's particular favourite Opulent Brown. Btw I've retrieved it from the sale
    on consignment with no takers presently so it's back with its other brothers at home.
    I suspect that Mr Wu & Ms Lora will be getting a few enquiries after seeing 2b's new
    masterpiece, I reckon you're champing at the bit in conjunction with others .

Best
    I discovered BB's Opulent Brown shade through learning of Patrick's Guild Benedetto JSA. I love that shade. And as much as I'd relish a full bodied 18" archtop in a similar shade to Opulent Brown, I'm not certain if obtaining such unique colors through Mr Wu is an option, or whether Mr Wu is limited to certain paint tints.

If I had felt comfortable with selecting a particular shade as an option, I'd have selected something close to the shade on this 18" New Yorker. Again, an even richer look than BB's Opulent Brown.

User Info Menu

I would call that shade a tea color. It's a beaut!!

User Info Menu

Not to be crass or indelicate or too forward, but could you give us a broad range for what this beautiful guitar will cost? If that is too personal, feel free to decline. I am curious because if that guitar sounds as great as it looks, I may have to jump on the bandwagon, at the risk of being locked out of the house by my wife.

I have no extensive experience in wood working or luthiery specifically, but in my next reincarnation I would like to try. Certainly Mr. Wu's craftsmanship and artistry appear to speak for themselves. How did you get on this track with him again? I confess that I'm getting excited watching the progress of this instrument myself - crazy! Must be contagious.
    Last edited by targuit; 02-16-2016 at 05:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Targuit,

I can share some pricing info as I am looking at 2 of Mr. Wu's in stock guitars and have considered 4 of their in stock guitars.

2b's axe has some customizations so I can't know his cost, but I was quoted between $900-1150 (shipped!) for different guitars that appear absolutely wonderful to me. Some options? A complete refinish to another color I was quoted $150USD, for a headstock inlay I think Lora quoted me $30. I have another thread where I posted pics of a 17.2" violin finish 910ce... it's $950 shipped. I am still trying to decide if that's the one I want (or, incidentally, one of Spiral's Yunzhi guitars)

I asked Ms. Lora the other day what a custom Pisano would cost me as a custom build and it was $1050 delivered (Big Mike has a beautiful Yunzhi Pisano from when Mr. Wu was at Yunzhi). Regardless of what I do about the 17.2", I will be custom ordering a Pisano with some customizations, like 2b's "S hole" for example!

I have communicated a lot with Ms. Lora over the past week, so feel free to ask any questions -- so many knowledgable folks here!

-Chris