The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 189
    Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    2Bop,Love the latest photos of the burst. You spoke of an ebony tailpiece. But I don't think I see an ebony spacer in the binding. Are you using something with a metal base?
    Thanks ATG!

Yes...metal base is the plan...in the spirit of the metal plate of the Buscarino tailpiece I had Aaron Cowles install on one Heritage Super Kenny Burrell...I'm rolling the dice and going blind with a tailpiece crafted from a solid block of ebony. What have I to lose? The worst thing that could happen is to later install a fingerstyle or other style tailpiece on this side of the pond...No guts no glory!

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 01-27-2016 at 08:26 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Coming right along my friend.

Guys until you DO one or two of these yourselves don't underestimate what Lora adds to the process of making sure she understands what you are asking for and translating it to Mr Wu. She's not just a pretty face in the process, she really does everything to make sure you are happy. And I confirm she has the patience of Confucius.

2B, in your case it looks like the lacquer has dried and he's scraped all the bindings clean and polished them up (a stark contrast to your last photos), also the extra headstock inlay work was also done. WOW it's so nice.

I half expect updates myself any time now... Hubba hubba. I half expect similar detail updates such as remaining headstock inlay work and ???? Let me locate my crystal ball.

I wake 3-4 times a night to let a cat out and hit the bathroom. After everything is quiet again I check my bedside table iPad to see if there is an update. Should I find one it's HOURS before I can get back to sleep. Lately I'm going over my last batch of photos and ogling the flamed out wood and the workmanship.

Mike
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 01-27-2016 at 10:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Beautiful color. Love the split-block inlays and s-holes. Perfect choices. The more I look at archtops as I get old, I think s-holes are by far the superior aesthetic, they reflect the larger body shape. But, jmo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Okay, beginning to look like an archtop

Holy moly that looks amazing!!!

It it must be so tough as a builder (let alone a builder who speaks a different language!!) to send out photos of the process. How many people know what an archtop looks like through every stage of construction. Anyway, my point is they must have to do a lot of hand holding along the way. Dear client, I promise this is what it should look like at this point, it will be amazing when completed, trust me.

And they delivered, big time!!!

User Info Menu

This is really breath taking !

Quote Originally Posted by gcb
    The top at the cutaway center is thicker, so presumably you ordered the top to be first carved and then the cutaway cut, I like that.
    I am wondering too ... Did you order the top to be carved first ?

User Info Menu

2B:

Nice design details.

The top at the cutaway center is thicker, so presumably you ordered the top to be first carved and then the cutaway cut, I like that. The re curve is deep. That should improve sonority. 25.5 scale and 3.5 rims, plus an impressive finish, make yours a very classy and classic instrument, though unique.

Plus your ability to get through with your design requirements benefit all:

I don't know how you guys came to that conclusion. I know when I ordered my Campellone Special Copy that Ms Lora sent me photos of the plates she had Mr Wu carefully look for. The top plate already was cut with the cutaway. Maybe my old eyes just are failing me. Whatever it is 2B's Bertha project surely is rocking !!!!! I was thinking he started his project at least a month before me, his in late August, mine in late September, early October.

And your tailpiece option, years ago I had Steve Holst build me a couple tailpieces, I didn't specify how just what I wanted them to look like. No brass or metal plate was used to attach them to (as many guitar manufacturers and builders like Eastman/Wu use) but he used two pieces of wood hinged with a metal pin. Enjoy these old photos

Mr. Wu 18 Inch archtop build-p7290033-jpgMr. Wu 18 Inch archtop build-p2160007-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Mr. Wu 18 Inch archtop build-qq-22270-2925520151021093300-jpg 
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 01-28-2016 at 01:28 PM.

User Info Menu

How to you get on this Mr.Wu train ? I want to hop aboard.

User Info Menu

​Now you're talking Vinny... I'll PM you Lora's userid here.

http://www.yolandateam.com
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 01-28-2016 at 02:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Sweet 2b. Aren't you concerned that adding pickups, hardware and strings will ruin the appearance?

User Info Menu

Way to go Greg! You the man! Love the update.

Thanks, Steve

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ

I don't know how you guys came to that conclusion. I know when I ordered my Campellone Special Copy that Ms Lora sent me photos of the plates she had Mr Wu carefully look for. The top plate already was cut with the cutaway. Maybe my old eyes just are failing me. Whatever it is 2B's Bertha project surely is rocking !!!!! I was thinking he started his project at least a month before me, his in late August, mine in late September, early October.

And your tailpiece option, years ago I had Steve Holst build me a couple tailpieces, I didn't specify how just what I wanted them to look like. No brass or metal plate was used to attach them to (as many guitar manufacturers and builders like Eastman/Wu use) but he used two pieces of wood hinged with a metal pin. Enjoy these old photos

Mr. Wu 18 Inch archtop build-p7290033-jpgMr. Wu 18 Inch archtop build-p2160007-jpg
    Hi Big Mike,
    Thanks for your comment.
    What I notice from the pics is that the top of 2Bs guitar is thicker in the center of the cutaway area. It gets gradually thinner on a downward slope from the area adjacent to the neck to the left, extending over the perimeter of the rims. Like in Gibson carved archtops.
    This seems to be one design quoted by Benedetto where the top and back plates are carved symetrically as if there is no cutaway. Normally ending in stiffer tops.
    Of course I can understand your point as meaning that this very result could be arrived at by doing the carving after the cutaway is cut. And I agree.
    That´s why I said “presumably.” My logic being that in production one could build and carve non cutaway plates and then as needed do the cut and final tuning depending on how many cutaways and non cutaways are ordered. But not the other way round. In a one by one case, it could be in any order.
    The point I wanted to make from the pics is that in the normal Yunzhi design,the thickness of top and back plates over the rims is uniform. I checked this difference between my L5 studios an my Yunzhi. In this respect 2B’s seem to be a crossbreed between a Gibson and a Yunzhi. Very unique.
    By the way, I see that you have a new Yunzhi Project ongoing. Wish you the best!
    Last edited by gcb; 01-28-2016 at 04:05 PM. Reason: missing spaces between words

User Info Menu

I looked those new photos over real close and saw the binding on 2B's is fatter in the middle of the cutaway, ala say a Super 400. I checked my Campy Special copy progress shots and mine is more in the Benny shape, the binding is a consistent thickness... Check out that flamed out neck.

Cool talking with you.

Big
    Mr. Wu 18 Inch archtop build-qq-22270-2925520160113124602-jpg

User Info Menu

Hey thanks a lot BigMike !!! awesome axes for the money for sure.

User Info Menu

Big Mike,

that guitar is a real beauty.

Like the neck flame and how the neck extension is cut. Neat.

Nice talking to you also.

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    Sweet 2b. Aren't you concerned that adding pickups, hardware and strings will ruin the appearance?
    Was it Guild that coined the phrase "made to be played?"

Hi Big Mike,
    Thanks for your comment.
    What I notice from the pics is that the top of 2Bs guitar is thicker in the center of the cutaway area. It gets gradually thinner on a downward slope from the area adjacent to the neck to the left, extending over the perimeter of the rims. Like in Gibson carved archtops.
    This seems to be one design quoted by Benedetto where the top and back plates are carved symetrically as if there is no cutaway. Normally ending in stiffer tops.
    Of course I can understand your point as meaning that this very result could be arrived at by doing the carving after the cutaway is cut. And I agree.
    That´s why I said “presumably.” My logic being that in production one could build and carve non cutaway plates and then as needed do the cut and final tuning depending on how many cutaways and non cutaways are ordered. But not the other way round. In a one by one case, it could be in any order.
    The point I wanted to make from the pics is that in the normal Yunzhi design,the thickness of top and back plates over the rims is uniform. I checked this difference between my L5 studios an my Yunzhi. In this respect 2B’s seem to be a crossbreed between a Gibson and a Yunzhi. Very unique.
    By the way, I see that you have a new Yunzhi Project ongoing. Wish you the best!
    Thanks all for the support and encouragement. A big thumbs up to Lora, Mr. Wu and his spouse, for taking on a project beyond what they've been requested to produce before.

Good eyes Big Mike! "Crossbreed"...hey, I like that!
    I said, a "little of this, a little of that."

Think "guitar gumbo!" Hey, grandfather was from Louisiana so I've creole in the blood

Here's better pics on the cutaway just arrived today.

After placing the order, where I was holding my breath was requesting the "cupids bow." From my desktop perspective that seems to have turned out pretty decent.

The biggest remaining "design" challenge, as pertains to my overall vision, is the tailpiece. But I have to say, design wise, Mr Wu has nailed everything on the dozen or so items of my design list. Aesthetically, I'm very impressed.

Okay, by now some of you may, or may not, have figured out what the overall design is. I desired an archtop whose combined elements gave a nod to several iconic guitar makers - Gibson, Benedetto, and D'Aquisto to name a few.

Corny? Perhaps, but it's different. Let's see how she sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by xuoham
    This is really breath taking !

I am wondering too ... Did you order the top to be carved first ?
    Hi Xuoham!

Yes, and for me it was most important to get the top shape as close to the design as possible. Although not exact, the shape of the top's cutaway gives a slight nod to a D'Aquisto NY'er. Some may have guessed that?

User Info Menu

It looks really amazing 2b. You got me going..

I am seriously thinking of doing something like that. I would like an 18" Blonde Johnny Smith. The white blonde, not the yellow blond. 25" scale. Just a Rose on the big Gibson headstock and one on the ebony pickguard. Finger Tailpiece. Could probably even use your pattern. Just add F-Holes. Kinda like that rare Heritage 18" JS. I might do it. I'll call it the "Ronny Smith"..

Big Mike, how do they play? Do they require a major fret level/polish when you receive them? Are they stable? Sorry for asking all these questions.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Was it Guild that coined the phrase "made to be played?"
    Indeed it was!Very nice pics!

User Info Menu

I don't mind answering questions at all. I'm so pleased to see some of what I think of as the heavy hitters here getting ready to try it !!

Keep in mind I have not bought from Lora in 6 years. My John Pisano copy needed some fret end dressing and not much else. I chose to replace the chinese electronics with a Bartolini 5J and Schatten hidden controls. But watching all the build threads here and at ICW before I became a member here I gotta say Mr Wu has really taken his craft a long ways. And Ms Lora too, has really taken what she does and she's working with Mr. Wu and they really drive themselves to do the ultimate best they can. And now with Mrs. Wu doing the crazy nice inlay, that Blue Tulip motif on Bertha is mind blowing... So watch my thread when I get my Campy Special Copy and I'll fill you in. I don't expect to have my tech do much more than install TI GB12 flats and set her up and install the Campellone made pick guard I scored on eBay (with a Kent Armstrong hand wound PAF 0 on it...)... check out their website and use one of the models that suits you as the template. And now that 2B has this 18 inch monster working you can tell Lora you want something along those lines (send her photos) in 18 inches and if you can supply photos of the Rose you want used do that. Pictures go a long way compared to words...

I'm pleased as heck for ya Joe and Vinny...

Big

Handmade Jazz guitar supplier in China---Yolanda Team

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    It looks really amazing 2b. You got me going..

I am seriously thinking of doing something like that. I would like an 18" Blonde Johnny Smith. The white blonde, not the yellow blond. 25" scale. Just a Rose on the big Gibson headstock and one on the ebony pickguard. Finger Tailpiece. Could probably even use your pattern. Just add F-Holes. Kinda like that rare Heritage 18" JS. I might do it. I'll call it the "Ronny Smith"..

Big Mike, how do they play? Do they require a major fret level/polish when you receive them? Are they stable? Sorry for asking all these questions.

Joe D
    Thank you Joe!

I loved that blonde 18" HJS! I almost pulled the trigger on it before the good Dr. snapped it up on the Heritage forum.

This is the second 18", that I'm aware, requested of Mr. Wu. The first was in the shape of a Super 400 some 18 or so months ago....or that guitar, a blonde, may have been a Yunzhi build...I can't recall.

Lora is really skilled in Photoshop. I'd think she'd have little difficulty re-producing the Rose inlays. I say that based upon the Tulip inlay in the headstock of this guitar is based upon a simple color photograph.

What are you waiting for bro!

Fret level and polishing is an anticipated given. But considering the minimal cost, I think of it as part of the initial setup. I'll have the luthier install the '1100 at that time.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 01-28-2016 at 06:43 PM.

User Info Menu

How did you find Mr. Wu in the first place? Amazing looking guitar btw!

This may sound a bit unusual but I would like a custom guitar built as a nylon archtop style with a shorter scale, say 620 mm or so, with a cutaway, spruce or cedar top, and whatever amplification system would work to get towards jazzy nylon tone. Could Mr. Wu do this type of custom work?

Your girl here looks rather big and bold. Eighteen inches plus the depth - that is a lot of guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    How did you find Mr. Wu in the first place? Amazing looking guitar btw!

This may sound a bit unusual but I would like a custom guitar built as a nylon archtop style with a shorter scale, say 620 mm or so, with a cutaway, spruce or cedar top, and whatever amplification system would work to get towards jazzy nylon tone. Could Mr. Wu do this type of custom work?

Your girl here looks rather big and bold. Eighteen inches plus the depth - that is a lot of guitar!
    Mr. Wu, in his association with either Yunzhi or Yolanda Guitar (?), has been mentioned on the forum for some time. Lora moved from Yolanda Guitar, a while back, and seems I recall Mr. Wu left either Yunzhi, or Yolanda Guitar, to begin on his own? My memory fails me. I'd imagine Big Mike can fill in blanks on that, but I've known of Lora's expertise from having worked with several here on the forum for several years.

When Lora chose to sign on with Mr. Wu I figured she must have complete confidence in him.

I'd recommend placing an email with your specifics to Lora directly. I'll PM Lora's email to you.

I'm a big bottom lover! Oh yeah, she's got that umph!

User Info Menu

Lora was originally with Yunzhi.

Mr Wu started out when Eastman was formed, I have one of their very first guitars, Mr Wu made that back a long time ago, around 2002 or earlier when Eastman took it's first guitars to a NAMM show. Drop dead Benedetto Manhattan copies, stunning woods from the companies wood pile (Eastman was begat from a company in China that made violins, violas, cellos...). I'm a member of an Eastman Guitars group on Facebook, when I posted shots of my Eastman prototype one of the reps, with Eastman at it's inception spoke up saying he remembered the back plates used on it, they made a special trip to Beijing to their wood stash and hand selected only the very best woods for the prototypes that went to NAMM, and later these guitars were given as artist promotional guitars to musicians in the Maryland area where Eastman has their headquarters.

Later Mr Wu left Eastman when the two principal partners of Eastman split up, the partner that left Eastman took a sizable stash of wood and formed Yunzi, wanting to try selling direct to the customer with no warranty or dealer network/markup. Mr Li I hear was that other partner that created Yunzhi. While they were with Yunzhi I ordered a YZ23 (John Pisano AR880 with a floating pickup) and Mr Lora helped translate the order and it turns out Mr. Wu built it.

But these people wanted a better life for themselves and they tried it on their own: Ms Lora and Mr Wu worked selling direct to customers without Mr Li as their boss or him deciding how much they'd get paid building and selling the guitars to customers. So they made YolandaTeam.

I worked with Lora in 2009 emailing back and forth a long time before I felt comfortable buying,
    and it was a good experience and great guitar. Thanks to her diligence I decided next time I wanted a custom guitar it'd be with her and who she felt comfortable with as the builder. That's Mr. Wu again, a 3rd Mr Wu guitar for me...

I think I have more experience with this and most of the people here have met Lora through threads I started here or on the Ibanez Collector's World site before I joined here in 2011.

Big

User Info Menu

Big Mike,
    one thing big about you is your heart. You are always willing to help. You are a good guy.
    I am far from a heavy hitter. Like you I just LOVE ARCHTOP GUITARS!
    thanks buddy, Joe D