The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do signature models influence you to buy?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like the player

8 4.94%
  • No way I'll pay for the name + a logo tax

14 8.64%
  • Yes, If the price were equal to the standard and appointments were nicer

18 11.11%
  • I buy what I like and don't care if there's a name on the head

116 71.60%
  • I'm probably better than that clown, I'd be embarrassed to play one

6 3.70%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 90

User Info Menu

I'm not one to buy a signature guitar, though it seems like many do AND pay a substantial premium for models like the Larry Carlton and Dave Grohl 335's.

That's not to say I don't have signature guitars, but it's not because there's a name on the head.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wouldn't search out a signature model because of the artists but I would because I dig the guitar in general. ...but it being a signature model wouldn't turn me away either.

"I hate signature models. I prefer Les Pauls."

User Info Menu

I don't think I've ever owned a signature guitar, except a Les Paul--everybody owned one of those.

I _have_ sought out a model of guitar because my favorite guitarist(s) played one--i.e., Jim Hall/Herb Ellis/Joe Pass played the Gibson ES-175 which I bought and played for over 30 years.

OTOH, I'm about as apt to play a no-name guitar as something glamorous--if I like the sound and playability. Example: I sold a '68 Stratocaster and purchased a Nash S-57. The Nash is basically a parts guitar, but I REALLY like it a lot. Who cares what (if any) name is on the headstock.

User Info Menu

Really depends on the appointments. I'd love a PM2 because a bridge mic on a jazz box is completely redundant to me. I'd love Ritenour L5 because I dig the size and sound. Same with GB10.

It really depends on the price, too. I don't wanna pay a grand extra for someone else's name on the now-ebony fretboard.

...except in the future when there's a Gibson Marwin Moody Signature ES-139

User Info Menu

...hmm? I might go for a Trini Lopez...purely because of the artist appeal. ;-)

User Info Menu

Dave who?

User Info Menu

Wait a minute! I did have an Arthur Godfrey baritone ukulele as a kid. So much for not being inspired by chops.

User Info Menu

Dave Grohl...the drummer with the signature guitar.

User Info Menu

Not jazzy, but I own a Jimmie Vaughan signature strat. I couldn't name a Jimmie Vaughan song, but I like the neck shape and the pickups sound good. And the signature is small enough on the back of the headstock that I don't feel like I'm playing a billboard. Also, it's MIM and I got it used, so it's not like I paid extra for it. In fact, the previous owner had a trem cover with an actual Jimmie Vaughan autograph (as opposed to the decal on the headstock). I let him keep that and got him to knock $50 off the price.

User Info Menu

Tal Farlow

User Info Menu

I would love if my Pisano Eastman didn't have the little frog logo & signature, but oh well . . . I don't look down at that stuff too often.

I also have a set of "Slash" Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 humbuckers.
    I don't think that name association is helping a great sounding pickup set find a broader audience . . .

User Info Menu

I have so many guitars I can't help but have some.

I have a few guitars endorsed by the great Lester William Polsfuss
    I have a Gretsch Tennessean with "Chet Atkins" on the label
    I have a Howard Roberts Fusion III
    I have an Ibanez Gem that actually has Steve Vai's signature on it
    I have a Joe Satriani JS1000 but it does not say Joe or Satriani anywhere on the guitar or literature.
    I have a Charlie Christian (look-alike) guitar but there is no mention of Charlie on the guitar or in the period catalog or advertising.

User Info Menu

I am usually not so much into signature guitars.
    However the Tal is a good example of a signature guitar that makes sense to me.
    Tal actually played his signature or the prototypes pretty much all his career and it is the only full scale, full depth ES 350 like still in production from Gibson.

User Info Menu

Uh, Gibson WesMo?

User Info Menu

I voted no but....if there was an Ed Bickert replica tele I'd buy 3.

User Info Menu

None of the choices suited me, so I didn't vote. But I will tell you this. I used to run an open mic where one of the regulars went out and bought a guitar and amp that looked exactly like mine. He still didn't sound anything like me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    Not jazzy, but I own a Jimmie Vaughan signature strat. I couldn't name a Jimmie Vaughan song, but I like the neck shape and the pickups sound good. And the signature is small enough on the back of the headstock that I don't feel like I'm playing a billboard. Also, it's MIM and I got it used, so it's not like I paid extra for it. In fact, the previous owner had a trem cover with an actual Jimmie Vaughan autograph (as opposed to the decal on the headstock). I let him keep that and got him to knock $50 off the price.
    "Ain't That Tough Enough"

That's the only one that comes to mind.

By the way, one of the guys who sort of nudged me into guitar building had a Stevie Ray Vaughn Strat. That was one of the only 2 Strats I've ever played that I really liked. So when hell freezes over and I consider buying a Stratocaster, SRV will be high up on the list.

But, no. I have never desired a guitar just because someone famous plays it, whether their name is on it or not.

User Info Menu

Yeah, the JV just happened to have the features I like in a strat. I got it in spite of it being a signature series, not because of it. I've played the SRV and they're nice. I'd have to replace the SRV pickguard...too gaudy for me. And they cost about 6x what I paid for the JV.

User Info Menu

I don't have a Herb Ellis signature 165 but I would like to. It's the only signature model I ever really think about. I had a teacher who got a SRV signature Strat but returned it after a week or so. He thought it played great but he just didn't have enough use to justify the expense.

User Info Menu

The only signature guitar I have ever had was a 70's (I think) Charlie Christian 150. Don't remember why but I never bonded with it. I have a hardtail Strat with a Warmoth no name neck, and a hardtail 12-Jazzmaster with a Warmoth no name neck. Although I realize that it may not be a top tier jazz box, some day a Hagstrom HJ800 will be delivered. Kinda based on the Jimmy Aquisto model. I hope that I like it.

User Info Menu

i have owned:

Ibanez GB (in 1979 or so)
    Guild/Benedetto Johnny Smith
    Gibson Lee Ritenour L5 Signature

Only the first purchase was influenced by the name.

User Info Menu

Even Barney Kessel didn't want a Gibson Barney Kessel guitar. So much for a signature guitar.

User Info Menu

If it has the Roy Smeck name on it, I'm in!!!

User Info Menu

Sadowsky Jim Hall -- The playability of the neck is off the charts, and has a very nice, airy acoustic sound that feeds into the electric sound, even though it is a plywood guitar .

Here is a guitar that was specifically, consciously and meticulously made to Jim Hall's specs.

It's my go to guitar because the playability is just about Perfect . I feel like I have reached a moment where the small number of instruments I have are in fact just perfect, so that's why I never bother or think about buying More gear. It's a great feeling when everything is exactly what you need to get on with the task of making music .

It's a nice feeling, when one realizes one can just get on with the music and forget about acquiring any more instruments.

I even sold a couple Gibson plywoods (53 175, 74 Howard Roberts ) and kept the Jim Hall because all I really need is that one. You'd be hard-pressed to find a more playable neck .

now that Jim has passed away, I reflected on the fact that I will never sell this guitar, because it is a great guitar first and foremost and secondly, the musician that gave the guitar his name was beyond category .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Even Barney Kessel didn't want a Gibson Barney Kessel guitar. So much for a signature guitar.
    He wouldn't play one of his Kay Kelvinator signature guitars either (and they were actually pretty cool guitars)