The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do signature models influence you to buy?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like the player

8 4.94%
  • No way I'll pay for the name + a logo tax

14 8.64%
  • Yes, If the price were equal to the standard and appointments were nicer

18 11.11%
  • I buy what I like and don't care if there's a name on the head

116 71.60%
  • I'm probably better than that clown, I'd be embarrassed to play one

6 3.70%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 90

User Info Menu

after you play for awhile..twenty years or so..you refine your wants and needs in a guitar..at least I do..I cant just play any guitar and feel at my best with it..I have had many over the years..and with each one I have modified it in one way or another..mostly the neck and action and pickups/tone...

so at present my les paul classic antique in wine red is my only love..from all clean to very dirty depending on the amp and effects I get the sounds I want from it .. very low action/neck and nut adjusted/light gauge strings ..

I have played several "sig" models..recently a jeff beck strat..now Im not sure if Jeff was involved with the design/specs..and he could say..."yep this is exactly how I like em.." or if fender just made a deal for his name and did a "close enough for rock n roll" model..I would have had to make some adjustments to the strat for my personal likings..

I played a fender "custom shop" strat -no name- that I could have lived with and not changed a thing of course it was 4K+ a bit more than I can justify for any guitar..my next will be the Tele American Delux..out of the box it feels/sounds very nice..only change will be the string gauge..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bananafist
    If Gibson did a Lee Rit Sig L5 with a 25" scale and 1 3/4" nut, I'd have to have one, even if they re-named it the 'J Beiber' model.
    Yeah good idea. Justin Bieber Signature Strat-Long Tenon Set Neck -Thick Mahogany Body 8.5-9.5 pounds total weight- No String Trees- 6Degree Angled Headstock- 14" Radius Fingerboard Medium Jumbo Jescar Frets...Hardtail with
    Resonant Chamber with tremolo springs attached...H-S-H with mini toggles to coil cut the Humbuckers which have rod magnets on one coil.
    What are the chances of this? ...lol.

Even John Suhr hasn't gone here yet.

I wonder why there are so few 25.5" Scale Set Necks ?

I bet the Alvin Lee Signature 335( yes really) with which is Gibson's only H-S-H Guitar has some great possibilities( with Toggles added) but they probably only made 8 of them or they are same price as a Honda...like to try one though...
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 01-17-2016 at 02:43 AM.

User Info Menu

The only sig guitar I've ever owned was a Les Paul. I'm not agains them in principle, but I am a cheapskate, and too often signature guitars are significantly more expensive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    Not jazzy, but I own a Jimmie Vaughan signature strat. I couldn't name a Jimmie Vaughan song, but I like the neck shape and the pickups sound good. And the signature is small enough on the back of the headstock that I don't feel like I'm playing a billboard. Also, it's MIM and I got it used, so it's not like I paid extra for it. In fact, the previous owner had a trem cover with an actual Jimmie Vaughan autograph (as opposed to the decal on the headstock). I let him keep that and got him to knock $50 off the price.
    I have heard good things about this Guitar( very large neck I think ) and I agree with most of the posts regarding signature Guitars.

I was asking Carvin about a neck through 25.5" scale Guitar they ( finally ) make again
    but unfortunately it has a 24 fret Fingerboard so loss of warmth from neck Pickup which has always been my main PU on every Guitar ..
    - It is a Lee McKinney Signature- whom I definitely never heard of ...lol.

And Dave Grohl was another one I never heard of although I had heard of the Guitar before.

One I would like to try is an Alvin Lee Sig 335 - because it is an H-S-H 335- that would be interesting.
    You would think some Studio Guy would have an H-S-H 335 ( Ritenour etc) but Alvin Lee ...I don't imagine Gibson has sold many but I imagine some cool Tones.

Another Carvin which I want to try is the Holdsworth due to the Semi Hollow or Hollow Fatboy and the warm fat tones and resonance...again 24 frets a bit less warmth from neck PU ...

Also agree that I don't want to pay for someone's name but for features and Tone I will .

Maybe a Justin Bieber Set Neck Mahogany 2 " Thick Body Stratocaster ? Lol.
    I don't care who's name is on it if it has unique features/ Tones that I like/ need.

After about 319 more nearly identical Strats .with different Model Names..maybe Fender will release a Set Neck Strat Model by 2026.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    After about 319 more nearly identical Strats .with different Model Names..maybe Fender will release a Set Neck Strat Model by 2026.
    You mean like the Fender Custom Shop Set Neck Stratocasters they sold between 1995 and 2000?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    You mean like the Fender Custom Shop Set Neck Stratocasters they sold between 1995 and 2000?
    Yes...but a Production Model Run..not a superexpensive deal.

Those were a special type of super strong glue joint they came up with I read...obviously I care more about fatness/ warmth...but yes..a Production Run of those would be cool especially Mahogany.

User Info Menu

I have an Ibanez JSM-10 (the Scofield signature model) and an Epi Joe Pass. I bought the Joe Pass because I tried it out and liked it, and the price was right. The Scofield I bought because I figured it would come reasonably close to the early 80s Ibbies that he plays. I had not tried one before I bought it, but I was not disappointed in the least. It's an amazing guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddy b.
    I voted no but....if there was an Ed Bickert replica tele I'd buy 3.
    Just take an old Tele, bury it in the back yard for a couple of years, dig it up, run over it with your car a couple of times, and there's your replica.

Signature guitars-ebt-jpg
    Last edited by Boston Joe; 07-31-2016 at 11:27 AM.

User Info Menu

I liked the look of the Gibson Johnny A since I first saw it advertised but never had the chance to play one. This past January, Johnny A played on a blues cruise we went on and all I can say is that he was one of the few guitarists to send shivers down my back with a black one with Bigsby. I'd do one of those. And a Gibson Pat Martino too. Unique designs. And, until fairly recently, sort of affordable on the used market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    A Les Paul Signature Jeff Beck model? Curious name there.

What happens if some rocker in 30 years from now named Jack Hack plays a Les Paul / Jeff Beck model and he becomes REALLY famous. Does the guitar get named a Les Paul, Jeff Beck, Jack Hack model? :-) Or do they disrespect Jeff Beck and drop him to name it a Les Paul Jack Hack?
    It will become the "World's First Triple Sub Signature Guitar....spanning over 7 Generations of Gibson Tone"...

I noticed the Jeff Beck Signature of a Signature...but of course if it sounds as good as it looks....

I was just remembering how great JB was in the Yardbirds in what ...1964 ?

User Info Menu

Yes...but a Production Model Run..not a superexpensive deal.

Those were a special type of super strong glue joint they came up with I read...obviously I care more about fatness/ warmth...but yes..a Production Run of those would be cool especially Mahogany.
    Not sure the strength of glue matters much outside mechanical considerations. I do like a set-neck for resonance, but even after 35 years on the instrument I still can't tell the difference between, say, hide glue and Titebond.

If you've got comparative tracks you can point me to where I can hear the glue, I'm all ears. Until then, please forgive my skepticism. Once the rhythm section kicks in, this sort of detail -- if audible at all -- is lost.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Not sure the strength of glue matters much outside mechanical considerations. I do like a set-neck for resonance, but even after 35 years on the instrument I still can't tell the difference between, say, hide glue and Titebond.

If you've got comparative tracks you can point me to where I can hear the glue, I'm all ears. Until then, please forgive my skepticism. Once the rhythm section kicks in, this sort of detail -- if audible at all -- is lost.
    Ha. Well ..I did not make it clear enough in my Post...what I read was the Custom Shop ( someone ) came up with a different type of joint that was unusually strong...
    So that made me think of more tone transfer ...( I am not a Luthier but many feel that some joints can involve the Body more for deeper Tones ).

I suspect there are better Glues for setting the necks ...but that was not my point.
    Also for the type of Tones - I am talking about...not sure a lightweight Body in Ash or Alder will even work.

I have a Carvin Strat type which is very heavy which after Blocking the Trem has a lot of bottom end...and it is very loud and full unplugged...probably louder than most ES 335's.

Not sure if it's the Koa...the weight( over 10 pounds)...the Trem as resonant Cavity etc. and more bottom end is noticed as soon as Trem is blocked- these are sounds your Grandmother would notice- not some subtle barely audible thing.

Once more Buyers get out of the" 50's 60's - is- the-Golden- Age- for - Solidbody-Electric- Guitars" Fantasy...we can start moving ahead with R&D.

But I suspect slightly angled headstocks,
    Set necks....heavier Mahogany Bodies..
    and fixed bridges( bolted to the Top of the Guitar) with a non moving trem block and springs - will produce a Strat Type Tonality with much more acoustic fullness ..so you get much more from it when you plug in.

Most people don't care about a Morph between a Strat and an Archtop or great Semi Hollow...and if they make some cool Semi Hollow 25.5" scale Instruments...I can maybe just go there.

User Info Menu

Here's I owned, anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Is that a Robben Ford or an Esprit?
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 08-07-2016 at 02:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Looks like a Strat mated with an ES 347 and this is the Offspring...

Looks nice though - bet it's sweet through that Champ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang
    Is that a Robben Ford or an Esprit?

p.s. Your guitar leaning against an amp on a chair like that is making me nervous.
    Ha, well done it's a Robben ford signature, so I suppose it's an esprit elite with the signature in the headstock.

Which is still hard to see because of my lazy re string.

I can pick up sky sports if I stand close to my tv though

User Info Menu

Ha. Well ..I did not make it clear enough in my Post...what I read was the Custom Shop ( someone ) came up with a different type of joint that was unusually strong...
    So that made me think of more tone transfer ...( I am not a Luthier but many feel that some joints can involve the Body more for deeper Tones ).

I suspect there are better Glues for setting the necks ...but that was not my point.
    I'm just saying that once the signal is processed by pickups, outboard gear, and preamp and power-amp stages, I'm skeptical of being able to hear this or that glue or joint. It may well make a difference in durability, no doubt, but nothing beats a straight comparison -- and even then, once the band kicks in, that sort of nuance is that much less detectable, in my own opinion.

Also for the type of Tones - I am talking about...not sure a lightweight Body in Ash or Alder will even work.

I have a Carvin Strat type which is very heavy which after Blocking the Trem has a lot of bottom end...and it is very loud and full unplugged...probably louder than most ES 335's.

Not sure if it's the Koa...the weight( over 10 pounds)...the Trem as resonant Cavity etc. and more bottom end is noticed as soon as Trem is blocked- these are sounds your Grandmother would notice- not some subtle barely audible thing.

Once more Buyers get out of the" 50's 60's - is- the-Golden- Age- for - Solidbody-Electric- Guitars" Fantasy...we can start moving ahead with R&D.
    No doubt. A guitar's tone is the sum of all the interactions. Perhaps because of my own background I ascribe more influence to the amp than other stops in the signal chain (and may well therefore suffer my own bias). But pickup type and make, and especially speaker type, efficiency, and layout, play crucial roles as well.

But I suspect slightly angled headstocks,
    Set necks....heavier Mahogany Bodies..
    and fixed bridges( bolted to the Top of the Guitar) with a non moving trem block and springs - will produce a Strat Type Tonality with much more acoustic fullness ..so you get much more from it when you plug in.
    I do disagree here. I think the essence of a Strat's tone is a combination of scale length and pickup location under the string. More acoustically full? I'm not sure, myself. I've heard (and owned) Strats that bleated, and Strats that blatted.

And once I plugged in, the gain-staging of the amp has so much to say tonally.

Most people don't care about a Morph between a Strat and an Archtop or great Semi Hollow...and if they make some cool Semi Hollow 25.5" scale Instruments...I can maybe just go there.
    I'm not picky about it, myself. I'm one of those guys who thinks every guitar has a usable tone in it somewhere.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddy b.
    I voted no but....if there was an Ed Bickert replica tele I'd buy 3.
    There is an Ed Bickert Tele, it's called a 'Graham Coxon' signature and seems to be only available in Europe....

Signature guitars-coxon-telecaster-jpg
    It comes out of the Mexican factory.

He's all angular indie Britpop wahh twangg Grrruuunnng. Not quite my liking. Some Blur songs are okay, a bit self aware and jocular. The Gorillaz are a better music project

It's a shame that Fender choose someone 'pop' over the more cultured 'Jazz' styles.

You got to give it to Gibson for their Artist signature series for Jazz musicians!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    It's a shame that Fender choose someone 'pop' over the more cultured 'Jazz' styles.

You got to give it to Gibson for their Artist signature series for Jazz musicians!
    For better or worse, Fenders are not generally associated with jazz, and I doubt a Bickert signature model would attract even a small percentage of the buyers that would go for a Coxon sig model.

Gibson has a long history of catering to the jazz market, so it's not surprising that they go for some jazz artists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    I'm just saying that once the signal is processed by pickups, outboard gear, and preamp and power-amp stages, I'm skeptical of being able to hear this or that glue or joint. It may well make a difference in durability, no doubt, but nothing beats a straight comparison -- and even then, once the band kicks in, that sort of nuance is that much less detectable, in my own opinion.

No doubt. A guitar's tone is the sum of all the interactions. Perhaps because of my own background I ascribe more influence to the amp than other stops in the signal chain (and may well therefore suffer my own bias). But pickup type and make, and especially speaker type, efficiency, and layout, play crucial roles as well.

I do disagree here. I think the essence of a Strat's tone is a combination of scale length and pickup location under the string. More acoustically full? I'm not sure, myself. I've heard (and owned) Strats that bleated, and Strats that blatted.

And once I plugged in, the gain-staging of the amp has so much to say tonally.

I'm not picky about it, myself. I'm one of those guys who thinks every guitar has a usable tone in it somewhere.
    No Strat has the Acoustic Tone I am talking about ....one Anderson I played had it and the Koa Bolt that I use now does.
    When someone across the room plays a minor 11 th Chord unplugged even in a quiet room ...it goes plink plink plink you can't tell what the chord is ..on a 175 or
    most 335's or my Guitar you hear the Chord ...it is quite full and no Strat will do this...
    And you are correct about the narrow window pickups on the 25.5" Scale producing those Tones.

IF you put Strat Pickups on a 25.5" scale semi hollow it would sound similar BUT fuller...less volume dependent...less dependent on the Amp.

IF the Tone and deep resonance is already there in the Body Unplugged ( differences your Grandmother can hear MUCH more E A and D string unplugged
    ( no Fender Strats I have heard do this )
    then you do not need a 4-12 Cabinet and perfect Amp etc. to sound like _____.

And there is more sustain...I wish they made more 25.5" Scale Semi Hollows and Set Necks.

You can go and play 146 Fender Strats with light bodies...huge gaps in the neck pocket...not enough down pressure at the nut..( saves wood on neck blanks)
    and they won't have this quality and you have to deck and block the Trem to get the deeper resonance too.

Block and deck your Trem even on a Strat...you will hear more bottom end usually..and even if you don't tell your Amp or Rig it will come through...lol.

But not to the same degree as a better made instrument..and with distortion you hear it less anyway it's on clean Tones..

I like some thinner Tones...but like to thin out a fatter Guitar rather than be trapped in Banjo type Tones..

A 175 with a Stoptail and H -S-H might be really cool for what I do ...

I have woodshedded long enough to deserve it...lol.

User Info Menu

Oh, I'm not saying construction doesn't matter -- it does.

I'm saying that my job, as a guitarist, is to fish the right tone out of the instrument, having taken inherent tones into account.

As for thinning out a fat guitar, sure, it can be done. It doesn't mean that a 400-lb guy can ride the unicycle. There's a delicacy in Fender tones (due to scale length, pickup positioning, and wiring) that are difficult to achieve on other guitars. Banjo-esque? In the hands of one who hasn't spent time on the instrument, sure. But get the intro to "Little Wing" sounding right on a Gibby-scale instrument. Good gig if you can land it!

There's a usable tone in any instrument you pick up. The song will tell you what it needs. Our job, as musicians, is to deliver that.

Oddly enough for a rocker like m'self,a P-90 ES-175 is my Holy Grail axe. Beautiful combination of girth and cluck. If your mileage varies, it's all good. We each hear our own thing.
    Last edited by Thumpalumpacus; 08-13-2016 at 05:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Seeing as I haven't listened to Scofield, Metheny, or Benson in decades, I'll ignore the Ibanez remark. The people I do listen to seem to have leaned heavily toward Gibson, followed by Epiphone.

And yes, it can still be the 50s in some ways, if you have the desire and the will to distance yourself from the 24/7/365 idiot festival that is the 21st century.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow

Apart from Bickert, Frisell and these days Julian Lage .. It's not like there are a lot of names playing a Fender .. and while your usual jazz guitarist may lay down big bucks for one of those crimsom shop artist archtops (there are no cheap jazz artist gibsons), it doesn't seem like they will do the same for a fender. I can't remember the last time I saw a jazz player play a fender custom shop instrument?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    For better or worse, Fenders are not generally associated with jazz, and I doubt a Bickert signature model would attract even a small percentage of the buyers that would go for a Coxon sig model.

Gibson has a long history of catering to the jazz market, so it's not surprising that they go for some jazz artists.
    Coxen managed to both sell a CS version of his tele some 5 years ago and now an affordable one

But Ibanez has been keeping Benson, Sco and Metheny guitars in their stable for decades tho .. yay

User Info Menu

Interesting tidbit that I just looked up. Mike Stern's signature Yamaha has a 7.25" radius neck. That might shake people in their boots over at TDPRI.

User Info Menu

I dunno .. Currently they are too busy lamenting that Fender discontinued their beloved avri's and replaced them with was essentially is an avri series, but with 9.5" and medium jumbos