• 1 pickup

119 56.40%
  • 2 pickup

92 43.60%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 85 of 85

User Info Menu

I did vote ’1 pu’ but it was the time that I had an ES175 with only one pu.

Now I have two ES175s with two pu’s and I am more than twice as happy with them than I was with the 1 pu guitar. Now I might vote differently.

I can’t say if it is the weight or the dampening effect of the bridge pu because all these three ES175s are so different guitars anyway.

I never use the bridge pu though. Nor the middle position.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bridge pu : Rock, Dixi with mute picking

Center mix : Easey Listening, Latin

User Info Menu

my 1951 ES-175 is a conversion, it has two pick-ups, a vol. knob for each and master tone.

neck pick-up stays at 7.5, while the bridge pick-up sits at 2.5

tone is fully open, I play with fingers only and Thomastiks, #12 BeBop at this time, intonation is bad with the unwound third.

sound is miles ahead from a single pick-up ES-175, it has an air-ness to it now, without losing

any warmth ect.

pictured with the 1960 Gibson GA-200 Amp, this set-up calls for rock and roll.

Last edited by Filmosound 621; 12-27-2021 at 06:54 AM.

User Info Menu

A GA200 Rhythm King !

Wow,the 175 through that amp must stun.

I had the use of a GA200 back in the middle 60's and it was so great a sound the memory has lived on.
    Unfortunately I had to give the one I used for a short time back to its owner.

Do you find the compressor of any assistance?
    Apparently [according to Dave Hunter in Vintage Guitar mag] the compressor was included to prevent unwanted clipping
    and/or to minimize feedback.

Gibson GA-200 Rhythm King | Vintage Guitar(R) magazine

User Info Menu

I am happy to follow Hogy's adventures in the gearpage forum, he has one of these GA-200 as well, he said it
    sounds better than the dear HPTT from Fender.

Following his path, I upgraded the Amp with two Celestion Ruby Speakers.

that is quite the Amp now ... perfect living room amp ... I am too afraid to touch the compression knob.

It is due to a big service now, I have not played it for ~3 months.
    Got an appointment with the local technician already.

It has been listed for quite a while, before I bought it, no-one wanted it.

It is great that you remember the amp from the 60's ... I have a friend who gigs as a rock guitarist with his Telecaster.

I just told him that I am going to give the amp to him for his next gig and that his audience will remember him and that sound for decades.

and you just confirmed that.

rock and roll

User Info Menu

there is this great Chuck Berry Video from his '65 TV appearence in Belgium.

not much else out there about the Rhythm King.

User Info Menu

I voted 2 pickups. I like to blend the two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    I did vote ’1 pu’ but it was the time that I had an ES175 with only one pu.

Now I have two ES175s with two pu’s and I am more than twice as happy with them than I was with the 1 pu guitar. Now I might vote differently.

I can’t say if it is the weight or the dampening effect of the bridge pu because all these three ES175s are so different guitars anyway.

I never use the bridge pu though. Nor the middle position.
    Ah Ah , you've almost defected to the "two pickup side", but you say "I might vote differently" so who knows.....
    Anyway you really are very fond of 175s given that you own three of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Ah Ah , you've almost defected to the "two pickup side", but you say "I might vote differently" so who knows.....
    Anyway you really are very fond of 175s given that you own three of them.
    I have to confess that nowadays I am a total two-pickups guy. I sold my 59 VOS 1PU and so I have only two two-pickup ES-175s.

Yes, I like this model!

Every ES-175 I have had or played have felt and sounded different. They have something common but a lot of differences. And when I have one with P90s and one with Shaw hb’s, they really are different.

User Info Menu

I really dig 1 and 2 pickup versions. My 51 has the single P90 and I wouldn't change a thing about that instrument. Well, maybe the tone capacitor to a lower value but thats it. It's light and lively.
    My 87 (mahogany back and sides) has two original pickups that encourage me to select all positions. They all sound great. This guitar allows me play all the styles I love all with one guitar. What a great design.