• 1 pickup

119 56.40%
  • 2 pickup

92 43.60%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 85

User Info Menu

Paolo, I voted 2 pickups on an ES-175. It would be difficult to say unless you have had an opportunity to play them side by side. One would instantly stand out and catch your fancy and it may not necessarily be the one that you had thought beforehand was right for you.

The bridge pickup acts as a mass to damp the top and modulate the vibrations from the floating bridge. This has the effect of changing the tonality of the ES-175 to a darker malty tone. A dark brown ale compared to a weissbier, if you will. Mixing in a little of the bridge pickup may also help to add some spice to the neck pickup.

A single neck pickup and a twin pickup ES-175 are really two different instruments. I'd be happy with either but if I were in the market, I'd seek out the twin pup today. The single neck pup ES-175 1959 VOS Reissue has been discontinued though and has become quite a rare bird.

Tomorrow, my taste may change..again.

À chacun son goût

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    The bridge pickup acts as a mass to damp the top and modulate the vibrations from the floating bridge. This has the effect of changing the tonality of the ES-175 to a darker malty tone. A dark brown ale compared to a weissbier, if you will.
    In my modest experience an ES-175 compared to an ES-175 is more different than 2pu gtr compared to 1 pu gtr. I have not met two ES-175's that would sound or feel perfectly alike.

So my modest experience does not assure the popular story about the effect of the bridge pickups mass to the guitar's sound. Maybe, maybe not.

But I haven't played them all so I do not know the whole truth!

But anyway, East Indian Pale Ale for me, thanks!

User Info Menu

one p-90

One or Two Pickups on a Gibson ES-175?-p01bqhsr-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

One pup is for me the right choice.

User Info Menu

I would definitely choose a single pu 175 (or 165).

To my mind the 175 was primarily designed to produce a full mellow jazz tone which it achieved perfectly with a single neck pickup. The idiosyncratic placement of the pickup at the "sweet spot" under the E harmonic also adds to its appeal. Adding a bridge pickup seems to me to be a pointless attempt to add tonal characteristics which are more suited to 335s or 345s but which really don't belong aesthetically or aurally on a 175.

I really admire simplicity in guitars. Unfortunately tonal variation often seems to be achieved at the cost of simplicity. If I want this variation I pick up my 345 not my 165.

It is sad that Gibson no longer produce the 165 with set humbucker or the single pickup 175 VOS. Both guitars have different characteristics which would cater for the taste of a lot of jazzers. Regarding build quality I would say that it was only the sub standard tailpiece which let the 165 down. The price of the VOS was what let that down.

User Info Menu

neatomic,

Jim Hall's 175 tone was and is one of the sounds that has always motivated me the most. His work with Jimmy Giuffre and with Bill Evans just towers and shines forth like a beacon.

Still, and having owned a single-pickup 175 for years myself, I'd now go with a "D" for the reasons I stated previously. Of course, if a good, 50s example with a P90 showed up on the front porch I'd invite it right in.

User Info Menu

I like the look of a one pickup model, but if my budget allowed a 175, my decision would be based purely on soun and feel. I would like to add that I once had the opportunity to play an Es-175 CC. So nice I almost needed a defibrillator after playing. Being financially challenged is NO fun!

User Info Menu

Yeah, the ES-175/CC is so nice. Some people dislike the Norlin-era instruments. However, every "CC" I have played has been something to savor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Since the 1 PU 175 (VOS or not) seems to have been discontinued or does not seem to be as common as the 2 PU version, the reason could be because most people prefer the two pickups version.
    That is what I want to verify.
    So in a way this is testing, does the law of offer and demand work. Makes sense.

One might think it works but in the case of the P90-guitars I am not sure it does always work. Think about the huge variety of humbucker sized P90's and the interest in them during the last decade. Doesn't it tell that people want more guitars with P90's but there is only guitars with humbuckers?

There is so many popular boutique and artisan made ES-175 copies – and cheap versions in the other hand – with only one pickup that it makes me think that law of offer and demand might not be remembered in the Gibson headquarters. Dunno!

User Info Menu

I started reading this thread preferring the one pickup option but ended preferring (and voting for) the two pup option!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    There is so many popular boutique and artisan made ES-175 copies – and cheap versions in the other hand – with only one pickup that it makes me think that law of offer and demand might not be remembered in the Gibson headquarters. Dunno!
    Just to name a couple of guitar builders:

Collings Eastside LC has one neck pickup
    Sadowsky SS15, Jim Hall, Ls-17 and (now discontinued) Jimmy Bruno models all have one neck pickup.

In my opinion it's better not to have an extra pickup if you don't intend to use it.
    It can be an additional source of troubles. All the archtops I have owned, no matter how expensive, had some kind of rattling noise to cure, often coming from the pickups.

User Info Menu

Wow, I had just posted above on the pickup rattling when I noticed this recent thread

pickup noise

User Info Menu

Trivia: In 1957 Valco bought ES175 bodies from Gibson and put in 3 pickups!

1959 National 1198 BelAire

One or Two Pickups on a Gibson ES-175?-national-1198-belaire-jpg

http://www.oldfrets.com/Photos/Natio...re/Catalog.jpg

User Info Menu

So much $guitar$ and possibilities to be limited by one pick up.

I have not played swing but can hear how the bridge pickup would be important for that. To get a Grant Green tone a bridge pickup is a wonderful assistant.

Want to play some R&B or funk (rock or jazz influenced eg some Scofield New Orleans vibe), rock blues, rock and/or solo acoustic type stuff (from Ed Gerhard to Mississippi Hurt) a bridge opens up so many doors.

Then there is the different colours you can add to your jazz improv's. The bridge super quiet in the right place on a ballad can add much dynamic and provide so many options coming out of it. Both pick ups cool for solo intro's.

Turn up that Fender amp engage 2 pick ups on your ES175 and play some Ray Charles Drown in My Own Tears. Crazy sweet!

I am doing a guitar vocal duet and it keeps things fresh, so many more colours. Would not want to pay all that money and be limited to the small handful of sounds you can extract from a neck pick up alone.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

One each in each color, including a CC model, puts the shopping list at 6. Better get busy!

User Info Menu

That video with Kreisberg and Dr. Lonnie makes a pretty good argument for 2 pickups. Love Kreisberg!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Very nice videos from Wildwood guitars.

User Info Menu

Thank you.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The beauty of an ES 175 showcased by Erwin Van Ligten

User Info Menu

two for sure!
    I was asked to play with a young lady who sings the repertory of Wanda Jackson.
    Her usual guitarist was ill.
    I tried all my bridges PU.
    That was the Bridge PU of my 1959 Gibson 175 with His PAF PU who gave me the true 50's rock'n'roll sound !
    Let's the good Time Roll !

no rock,but a Philip Catherine tune
    Last edited by Hyppolyte Bergamotte; 01-17-2016 at 05:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Amazing result. I thought that most of the comments on this subject were pro 2 pickups but the poll says that the 1 pu ES-175 would be more popular about 60/40.

I hope that the Gibson headquarters read this thread!

(Make them w/ a P90 too!)