The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 276

User Info Menu

Ha!
    when I see your avatar, I hear, "Happy bourthday... Mista Presidunt.." And then I see the most uncomfortable look on JFK's face while trying to smooth it over with his family..
    JD

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Ha!
    when I see your avatar, I hear, "Happy bourthday... Mista Presidunt.." And then I see the most uncomfortable look on JFK's face while trying to smooth it over with his family..
    JD
    Good one bro !!!!

User Info Menu

I've bought from TMZ. Amp on consignment. Very smooth. I made an offer, TMZ called the consigner, counter-offer, and we agreed within a 15 minute time period.

Before that, I stopped by the 'showroom'. There were like 5 guitars out. They told me they would get any guitar I wanted to try from the back. Didn't want to make somebody go to 'the back' every time I wanted to look at a guitar. Spent maybe 3 mins there and left.

Prefer places like Mandolin Bros, Retrofret where most/all guitars are out to try. I tried guitars I usually would not have and learned a lot before buying.

I also think guitars look a lot different in pictures than in real life.

Roslyn is a beautiful little town though.
    Last edited by HeyNow; 12-30-2015 at 10:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Steve, buy the Sunburst LeGrand. And when my wife "misplaces" the tube of crazy glue, I'll buy it from you..
    JD
    Joe,
    I already have an awesome sunburst Legrand - but need ( want) a blonde, lemon burst or Chablis. Joe - perhaps you and I ( and some of the rest of us) need therapy - serious GAS. Lol !

We could have worse addictions and I'm thankful we don't . We just Iove guitars .....and Archtops are just such a beautiful art form. Thank goodness for our lovely wives. I did mention the crazy glue to my wife earlier and she said " yeah I know - what a great idea".

User Info Menu

Archtop Anonymous has a 12 step program waiting for us. Who is going to be the 1st to check himself in ?
    I think that is why Jack Zucker left JGF. He is in treatment and can no longer associate with us junkie's anymore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Archtop Anonymous has a 12 step program waiting for us. Who is going to be the 1st to check himself in ?
    I think that is why Jack Zucker left JGF. He is in treatment and can no longer associate with us junkie's anymore.
    I'll go first as long as Joe D is behind me with a box of those Italian cookies he mentioned earlier. Vinny you can bring the beverage.

User Info Menu

You've been talking a lot about this Legrand model, but is there anyone who can spend a couple of words about the L5 Ritenour model, which is the model the OP intended to buy.
    Just to hear someone who had experience with this guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Longobardi
    Joe,
    I already have an awesome sunburst Legrand - but need ( want) a blonde, lemon burst or Chablis. Joe - perhaps you and I ( and some of the rest of us) need therapy - serious GAS. Lol !

We could have worse addictions and I'm thankful we don't . We just Iove guitars .....and Archtops are just such a beautiful art form. Thank goodness for our lovely wives. I did mention the crazy glue to my wife earlier and she said " yeah I know - what a great idea".
    Killer SB Steve! How do you like the BJB floating pup? I loved it on the Heritage SE acoustic I previously owned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    You've been talking a lot about this Legrand model, but is there anyone who can spend a couple of words about the L5 Ritenour model, which is the model the OP intended to buy.
    I do have a very limited experience with the LRL5. In june i sent a mail to the importer here in Switzerland and asked if he had one in stock to try out. He answered "no" but was going to order one anyway. When it arrived (brand new) in November i went there to try it out, but was kind of disapointed because it came with a L5 tailpiece (according to the Gibson catalog it would be a fingertailpiece which i would much prefer on a small guitar like the LR) very low frets which showed some sloppy fretwork and the high notes above A 15th fret just wouldn't sound properly. Though i was very comfortable playing the normal register and liked it a lot i didn't buy it for these reasons. But since then i've been looking around hoping to find one which suits my expectations better.

BTW: inquiring about the Italian LRL5 in Bergamo would be a bit difficult as i don't speak Italian and it's still a 4hour drive from here to get there. I would need to clear all issues of doubt before attempting the journey but what makes me hesitate most is that it's priced higher than what i would have to pay for a brand new one here.
    Last edited by JazzNote; 12-31-2015 at 07:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    I actually played the Lee Ritenour model at The Music Zoo several months ago and was very impressed. It's super comfortable and was effortless to play. It's sound was smooth and very well balanced..... the acoustic volume was very good, and I found myself playing it for quite sometime. I could see myself owning one some day ..... it's very comfortable to hold ..... and probably less fatiguing then a larger Archtop - without the sacrifice of tone. I did not plug it in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Killer SB Steve! How do you like the BJB floating pup? I loved it on the Heritage SE acoustic I previously owned.
    I love the pickup. I mainly play acoustically - but when I do plug in its through a recently purchased Fender Champion 100 with (2)12's and set on volume 2. This guitar has an amazing thick creamy round tone with a natural reverb that's incredible - when plugged in the bjb pick up amplify's it's natural tone perfectly.

User Info Menu

Hey when Greg (2bop) talks you need to listen. This man has been around the block.
    Indeed. His advice convinced me I should pounce on a lefty Super Eagle. Very happy I did. In fact I am gonna go play it right now.

User Info Menu

I actually played the Lee Ritenour model at The Music Zoo several months ago and was very impressed. It's super comfortable and was effortless to play. It's sound was smooth and very well balanced..... the acoustic volume was very good, and I found myself playing it for quite sometime. I could see myself owning one some day ..... it's very comfortable to hold ..... and probably less fatiguing then a larger Archtop - without the sacrifice of tone. I did not plug it in.

Which of the two they have in stock was it? New or used?

Used Gibson Custom Shop Lee Ritenour L5 Electric Guitar Antique Sunburst | The Music Zoo

Gibson Custom Shop Lee Ritenour L5 Electric Guitar Antique Sunburst | The Music Zoo

User Info Menu

Not sure- but I may be headed there today .....and if so I can find out.

User Info Menu

Hey Steve can you do me a huge favor and when you go to TMZ check out the 1991 Guild X500 they have ? I have been eyeballing it. Looks pretty minty for a 91. Thanks....Vinny

User Info Menu

You cant be successful guitar business and compete with all the other guitar business's for stock, when the used market has only a finite supply of guitars in good condition or playable. After all, they are second hand right?
    So dilute all the second hand jazz guitars that are available to buy, trade, whatever, by the amount of real shops, online ebay stores, online shops, dealers and collectors and you will find that if you want to make any money out of buying and selling them, you are either going to

1) Have to get your hands dirty to even make rates and rents and expenses
    2) Not sell many guitars and do something else as your main source of income.

Some people (type 1's) are happy to over look certain things to support their business and frankly there seems to be far too many of them but it is the nature of the jazz guitar business and guars in general.

User Info Menu

Hey Steve can you do me a huge favor and when you go to TMZ check out the 1991 Guild X500 they have ? I have been eyeballing it. Looks pretty minty for a 91. Thanks....Vinny
    Vinny , if I head over today I will certainly check it out and report back.

User Info Menu

Joe,

Steve, Your guitar is gorgeous.
    And Im not surprised that your wife said, "yeah I know...". They all go to the same meetings where they discuss ways to keep us in line..
    JD

User Info Menu

Steve, Your guitar is gorgeous.
    And Im not surprised that your wife said, "yeah I know...". They all go to the same meetings where they discuss ways to keep us in line..
    JD
    Thanks Joe. We are fortunate to have understanding wives. My wife is an expert quilter and if your saw here machines and fabric collection you would be impressed. I make sure to feed her hobby so things are fair.

User Info Menu

Vinny , if I head over today I will certainly check it out and report back.
    Vinny, Music Zoo closing early today. I spoke with Garrett and he put the x500 on hold for you. I will be there 11:00 am Saturday to check it out and report back. No obligation to you .., they are just good people.

User Info Menu

Not sure- but I may be headed there today .....and if so I can find out.
    Jazz note. Music Zoo closing early today. I spoke with Garrett and he will put a guitar on hold for you until I get a chance to play and report back to you No obligation ....these are good people. Give him a call before 3:00 today and tell him which one your are interested in. I will be there 11:00 am Saturday when they reopen and will check it out completely for you.

User Info Menu

Jazz note. Music Zoo closing early today. I spoke with Garrett and he will put a guitar on hold for you until I get a chance to play and report back to you No obligation ....these are good people. Give him a call before 3:00 today and tell him which one your are interested in. I will be there 11:00 am Saturday when they reopen and will check it out completely for you.
    Thank you Sir !

User Info Menu

Thanks Steve! See also pm

User Info Menu

Hey when Greg (2bop) talks you need to listen. This man has been around the block.
    That's funny, coming from my Cal' brother whose acquired more guitars in 6 months than I have!

Seriously though, I honed my chops buying high end audio gear on the 'net beginning in '96 when I received my first computer as a birthday gift. I quit scouring the newspaper for used gear and suddenly with the 'net an addict was born.

You think buying guitars blind is tough...try bringing in a 140 pound 100 watt pure Class A amp with gremlins inside. Thank goodness for local amp guru's who know their stuff! But I've been blessed...never once bought a lemon, knock on spruce...And gave away $1k once, to a fella who sold the same amp to 15 different people under a false ID...I had to learn if it sounds too good to be true sometimes it isn't true.

I wish everyone the same good luck in buying used gear as I've had, for I've had more than my fair share...150 plus gits' and counting...I really do think I'm about done.

User Info Menu

Vinny, Music Zoo closing early today. I spoke with Garrett and he put the x500 on hold for you. I will be there 11:00 am Saturday to check it out and report back. No obligation to you .., they are just good people.
    I just love the camaraderie in this community! archtop.com