The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 169

User Info Menu

I have a '52 Reissue but the one I like the best I sold. If I were getting another one I would get one with two humbuckers or build one (have one built) . I don't like the extra chunky neck on the '52 and I DO like the belly carve out that the '52 doesn't have. I have the '52 reissue on Craigslist SD Hotrails, Bigsby and all.

Ron

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BMaag
    Yes, I'm still on the prowl for a new guitar. I know that there are a good many Tele players on this forum and I was wondering what specific Tele models you guys use.
    I play a Bill Nash tele, with single bridge and bucker neck, both Lollars. Nash builds guitars from Fender licensed parts. He is known for relicing them. The tele in my Avatar is the Nash.

User Info Menu

As a player I have eclectic taste, and I have some of my bases covered...but not all.
    I use a semi-HB (Ibanez AS-103) that I love clean-ish for the straight ahead Rosenwinkel/Metheny stuff and OD'ed for the Robben Ford tone.
    I play an MIA Alder/Maple Strat w/ CS54's that is very cool for a lot of things, but it is very bright and very...well...Strat sounding. Great for Gilmour/Beck stuff.
    I am looking for something with a rosewood neck, alder or basswood body, Duncan '59s (or equivilent) and a whammy bar.that will help me get me that early '90's Tribal Tech midrange. I know there are $1,000 options out there, but I don't want to go that rout. I am checking out Fender Showmasters, and PRS SE's, and perhaps older Ibanez 540's (although I don't care for those crazy thin shredder necks. I think the Fender Tele FMT is a very cool instrument too, but...no whammy. Traditional styling is what I'm looking at...not interested in "metal" guitars. Is there something that I am overlooking that you think I should check out? I'd consider modding something if all I need to do is swap PUP's, but routing for a trem block or stuff like that...I'd rather find one that's ready to go.
    What do you think?

User Info Menu

I'm a big G & L fan. You could get a Legacy HB which has a SSH pickup configuration. They are a nice combination of vintage and modern features.
    I have an SSS Legacy that is just killer. It has a little larger neck than Fenders standard profile, the trem is very smooth and the PTB tone control system which has a treble and bass control lets you get all the strat tones
    plus some very cool different ones.
    Easily the same or better quality as my Eric Johnson strat.

User Info Menu

Never tried G&L. I guess I should take a look to see if they have an HH or HSH body. I suppose I could look into making my own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbear
    Never tried G&L. I guess I should take a look to see if they have an HH or HSH body. I suppose I could look into making my own.

That was my immediate thought, a partsocaster. WD, Warmoth, Stewmac, etc. You can build something exactly the way you want for under a grand. Little resale value though if you are not pleased with it. But I would imagine, a rewarding experience.

Either that, or you could troll the used guitar places, TGP, Craig's List, Ebay, etc, and look for something there. Happy hunting.

User Info Menu

In addition to my archtops, I have a USA Strat, Les Paul Studio, Heritage H150, G&L ASAT, and PRS SE. I bought the SE for $400.00 and for Korean made, it is fantastic. I love all of my solid bodies though!

User Info Menu

I am looking hard at that SE 22 with the trem. Never tried a Wilkinson though.

User Info Menu

Carvin H2? Parker PM24V? It's is a solid with Duncan HB and Jazz pups and a whammy.

User Info Menu

Get one of the US parkers if you can afford it (stay away from the new dragonfly's, though.)

You should be able to grab a used nitefly SA for about 1k...great guitar.

User Info Menu

Thinking about that Holdsworth.

zz5555 Guest
    If you don't mind used, you can pick up a Big Apple or Double Fat Strat off of ebay. I'd like to get a hardtail version, but Fender made them with a talent bar as well. I believe that comes with a SD '59 in the neck and SD Pearly Gates in the bridge.

User Info Menu

Another good suggestion...thank you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbear
    Thinking about that Holdsworth.
    Yeah, the Fatboy is one that came to mind that I had to dismiss due to no wiggle stick. With regard to the Wilkenson trem, it is the shizzle. I like it much better than the traditional Fender.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Yeah, the Fatboy is one that came to mind that I had to dismiss due to no wiggle stick. With regard to the Wilkenson trem, it is the shizzle. I like it much better than the traditional Fender.
    Check into an H2....they are chambered but not as thick as the Fatboy.
    You can get a trem on the H2.
    This guy is a fine player and uses one to good effect.

User Info Menu

I'm somewhat surprised no one talks about Fender Jazzmasters on this forum. I find I can get quite a decent jazz tone out of mine. You can pick up a Japanese made one easily in your price range, and I believe they have an alder or basswood body. Different years used different woods. Extra long tremolo, rosewood fretboard. You may have to throw in a new neck pup, but otherwise it's mostly what you're looking for, it seems.

User Info Menu

Ehhhhh...just not a Jazzmaster sort. Nothing against them...just don't care for the body design. Thanks though.
    I think that I can find a Showmaster for so little that it's almost silly not to try that one. Decisions...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mcbrandt13
    I'm somewhat surprised no one talks about Jazzmasters on this forum. I find I can get quite a decent jazz tone out of mine. You can pick up a Japanese made one easily in your price range, and I believe they have an alder or basswood body. Different years used different woods. Extra long tremolo, rosewood fretboard. You may have to throw in a new neck pup, but otherwise it's mostly what you're looking for, it seems.
    I am glad you can. I have played several, and all I can get out of one is suck. Cool vibe, but I have never bonded with one. I always use the George Costanza line, "It's not you, it's me."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    I am glad you can. I have played several, and all I can get out of one is suck. Cool vibe, but I have never bonded with one. I always use the George Costanza line, "It's not you, it's me."

I think it's all about what pickups you have in it. I replaced the stock ones with some Duncans. I didn't buy it specifically for playing jazz, but it does good enough until i get my archtop in a few weeks. I think the Jazzmaster sounds better than my japanese lawsuit 335 as far as jazz tone goes. Each his own though, and it was just a thought.

User Info Menu

What are your thoughts on a Carvin Bolt/mahog/ebony/Wilk routed for HB's for about $450...drop in a pair of SD 59's for about $130...total to do it my way...about $650. Gotta be honest...I only had experience with one mahohany/ebony and that was a Fender Hearfield Elan III, which although beautiful...did not get played enough while I owned it to remember the tone of that combo.

User Info Menu

I had a TL60 that was ebony over mahogany.....the tone was warm from the mahogany but note response was immediate from the ebony.
    Seemed like a nice balance. I had a fabulous HSS Bolt last year....I'd still have it but it was a hardtail and I needed a trem.

User Info Menu

I have a BILL COMINS 'LYRIST' that I have set up with .12's and use it for jazz. Incredible warm sound that IMO rivals and exceeds most semi-hollow archtops. I have the mahogany body and mahogany neck.

User Info Menu

I have a G&L ASAT deluxe semihollow tele style that works great, also a McInturff taurus sandar, which is a thick singlecutaway guitar. Both works great for jazz, and many other styels.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soco
    I have a G&L ASAT deluxe semihollow tele style that works great, also a McInturff taurus sandar, which is a thick singlecutaway guitar. Both works great for jazz, and many other styels.
    What should I expect to pay in Us $ for a G&L ASAT Bluesboy? Is it the same as the one you have?

I have a chance to get one for about $600. Is that a fair price.

User Info Menu

It depends if it is a Tribute series or a California handmade. If it is a USA made G&L it is a bargain.

Best regards