Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 185
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hi guys,
    well its 11:30pm. I just spent the last 4 hours cleaning up and getting acquainted with a guitar I honestly never thought I'd ever own. My father once told me D'Angelico's are reserved for the really successful rich people, they don't come to us.. Well dad, we got one. And it's beautiful.
    Looking over this masterpiece, I cannot find a single imperfection in the structure of this guitar. The wood is perfect, no cracks, the original binding is still intact and the parallel braces are firmly affixing to the inside of the rather thin carved top. The serial number 1155 is stamped in plain view inside the body. The neck is a surprisingly comfortable "c" carve. The original Ebony board is on the thin side and the frets are the medium thin variety. The headstock is small. In fact, smaller than the headstock on my L5. The 17" body appears small to me, most likely due the 24-3/4 scale length. The depth of the guitar is around 3". The sound is incredible. Compared to my other guitars, this one has definition in lows, mids and highs all at the same time. I've never heard a guitar sound quite like it. It defies its size in that respect. Only the 18" HDA is louder but not by much. I know archtops are supposed to project, but this one fills the room with luscious music more so than any other.
    I will need to spend some time with the guitar before I decide on a pickup choice. I am seriously considering the Barbera Transducer. I will keep everyone posted.
    The playability of the guitar is very good. I will need to do something about the higher action. I have the rest of my life to tweak the guitar and I'm no rush to perfect it right away. Don't get me wrong, it's good but I know it could be better.
    Here are some pics after the extensive detailing I did to the guitar. It doesn't not look like an 80 year old guitar. No way.
    Attached Images Attached Images NGD - D'Angelico Excel-image-jpg NGD - D'Angelico Excel-image-jpg 

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Some more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images NGD - D'Angelico Excel-image-jpg NGD - D'Angelico Excel-image-jpg 

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Some more
    Attached Images Attached Images NGD - D'Angelico Excel-image-jpg NGD - D'Angelico Excel-image-jpg 

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Congrats Bro,

    Welcome to the club! Somewhere John D'Angelico is well pleased. One of his timeless works of art is in the hands of a man who will do it justice.

    May it inspire your playing for many years to come!

    Cheers,

    Marc
    _____________________________________________
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    A very, very Merry Christmas to you, Joe! This will forever be one of your best presents to yourself.

    It may need no amplification at all. Maybe a nice ribbon mic.... ;-)

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Superb, very pretty, now looking forward to the audio/video . Congratulations !

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Hi Joe D,

    Wow and double Wow! That's just beautiful. And it sounds like the sound is a really winner too. I know what you mean about the balance.

    It's reassuring when a good things happen to great people. Me thinks it's a keeper for the rest of your life. So happy for you.

    I missed what strings you've got on right now. I'm staring to really bond with the Martin 80/20 13's that I told you that I wasn't so keen on before.

    Just for comparison, my A-1 is exactly 17" lower bout, 3 3/8 depth, exactly 25" scale, and 1 3/4 nut width. Bridge is identical to mine. And we both share the non-adjustable truss rod feature :-) The neck angle on yours looks great from the photos.

    Congrats buddy. Enjoy!

    Cheers, Chris

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    You can't spell D'Angelico without 'dang!'

    Rotated some images for ya:



  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    A magnificent guitar in eminently worthy hands. Congratulations, Joe, and play it in good health!
    Best regards, k

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Dunno bout you guys, but those stands without a neck lock scare the crappenzola out of me, take care of her and good luck!
    Regards,

    Gary

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    You will make it sing ! Congrats !
    "Oh, those jazz guys are just making that stuff up!" - Homer

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Superb. It's in good hands. The force awakens.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Joe,
    I can add nothing to what has already been said about this beautiful instrument
    it is incredulous that an 80 year old guitar can be in such good condition, it has
    obviously had much TLC, like everyone here I'm eager to hear "Darn that
    Dream" on your masterpiece. An appropriate song I must say.





    Long may you be its keeper.

    Best , Alan

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Congrats, Joe.

    A truly beautiful instrument. Enjoy!

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Joe,
    Its really gorgeous. This is pure classic acoustic Archtop design at its best.
    I know it's been a long road of guitar acquisitions, trades and sales to finally own this pc- but you will find that owning a D'Angelico is a very special feeling - since it's the standard by which all else is judged - and YOU now own one.

    The balance and volume of DA' s are so good you will begin to hear notes within chords that you may never have heard on other guitars.

    Wishing you many years of enjoyment.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

    i know you're selling the wes too! wow. well we have to make these decisions don't we. it was incredibly hard for me to let go of my andersen AND my campellone to get my L5. but i'll never regret it.

    this guitar looks like a dream. the proportions (headstock - rims - lower bout - scale length) seem amazing - and the colour is just sunburst perfection. perhaps unsurprisingly i think those solid block inlays are just the best.

    i realized after i got the L5 that i'm a sunburst man all the way. i don't know what it is about it - but i just love them when they're done well. the shading on that lower bout is the best i've seen i think. i suppose that should not be surprising.

    i'm sure you'll have a fantastic time gradually making it play perfectly for you. i don't know if finding the right pickup (which i would certainly try to do despite the obvious worries) will involve getting a replica pick guard made. but if it does i'm sure you'll be able to source one that works very well. i bet jason lollar's js pickup would be hard to beat. i've tired one on a top end guild d'angelico (new one) and it sounded really really great.

    like everyone else i'm looking forward to hearing the thing.

    i'm delighted it got to you safely and that the waiting-stress is over for you.

    here's to a long and satisfying musical partnership!

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Congratulations Joe...I hope that it takes you to new places musically!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Bob


  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Wow Joe! I was just on the other thread writing you at the same time you were putting this thread out. That is as good as you can get! It's what we all dream about. Not all can have one. You are now in an elite group and will be I'm sure, for the rest of your life. Now go to work! It's 6:20am!

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    That merely looks all right....

    NGD - D'Angelico Excel-gollum2-jpg

    WANT!

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    You married up, guy, but you married well!

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    You are well deserving such a guitar,Joe!

    You must be a sort of musical genius!When I think You learned to play (extremely well) jazz in only one year between 2011 and 2013!!
    I took years to become able to play jazz.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    I say this statement without a shred of hyperbole: John made some of the most beautiful instruments in the history of the world, and this is one of them.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

    "Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

    --The Ghost of Duke Ellington

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Congratulations Joe.

    An all too rare example of things as they should be - -

    A classic masterpiece instrument, in the appreciative hands of a player whose music will always do it justice.


    All the best Joe.

    Dennis

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Congratulations Joe, on your acquisition of what may be the most beautiful and aesthetically perfect guitar I 've ever seen. I swear I could almost hear a chord rich , "Stella By Starlight" emanating from those gorgeous photographs !
    Play her for ever and cherish her unique and never to be duplicated artistry !

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Ha, the request lines are open apparently. Free Bird!

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Fabulous instrument! Congratulations and I hope you play and enjoy that guitar for many more years, in good health.

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Joe,

    Your D'Angelico looks just like my first guitar teacher's Excel. I sure know how that sounds--in my sleep--let me tell you. It remains the best sounding guitar (not just archtop) I ever recall hearing or attempting to play. (I was 12 at the time.)

    Congratulations on arriving at the point of acquiring one of Mr. John's 1,164 works of art. Enjoy and use it in good health.

    GT

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Classic, timeless, beautiful!

    Very anxious to see the guitar you will be purchasing next week, they keep getting better!

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    Stunning !!! I believe every member here shares the joy in this great blessing. JD has a JD.

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Congrats! & Marry Christmas! looking forward to some youtube acoustic recording of yours.

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Congrats Bro,

    Welcome to the club! Somewhere John D'Angelico is well pleased. One of his timeless works of art is in the hands of a man who will do it justice.

    May it inspire your playing for many years to come!

    Cheers,

    Marc
    Marc, Everything you said was true. The guitar is the pinnacle. There is some kind of voodoo in it. Thanks Bro.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    A very, very Merry Christmas to you, Joe! This will forever be one of your best presents to yourself.

    It may need no amplification at all. Maybe a nice ribbon mic.... ;-)
    I enjoy the stereo effect I get from hearing an Acoustic Archtop through an amp 20 ft away and right under me. IT adds to the experience. The Barbera is amazing from what I've heard. Thanks buddy.

    Quote Originally Posted by cgratham View Post
    Hi Joe D,

    Wow and double Wow! That's just beautiful. And it sounds like the sound is a really winner too. I know what you mean about the balance.

    It's reassuring when a good things happen to great people. Me thinks it's a keeper for the rest of your life. So happy for you.

    I missed what strings you've got on right now. I'm staring to really bond with the Martin 80/20 13's that I told you that I wasn't so keen on before.

    Just for comparison, my A-1 is exactly 17" lower bout, 3 3/8 depth, exactly 25" scale, and 1 3/4 nut width. Bridge is identical to mine. And we both share the non-adjustable truss rod feature :-) The neck angle on yours looks great from the photos.

    Congrats buddy. Enjoy!

    Cheers, Chris
    Thanks Chris, Appreciate the nice words. You told me a while ago that sometimes you wake up in the morning and just knowing you got one gets you off on the right foot. I can see that happening every day to me. Thanks for all your help. JD

    Quote Originally Posted by fws6 View Post
    You will make it sing ! Congrats !
    FWS6, You were instrumental in this. I even think you would love this guitar. I've never felt anything so lightweight that feels so solid before. What a Guitar!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Superb. It's in good hands. The force awakens.
    Rob, Thanks buddy. There might be some BossaNova in this guitar.

    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx View Post
    Joe,
    I can add nothing to what has already been said about this beautiful instrument
    it is incredulous that an 80 year old guitar can be in such good condition, it has
    obviously had much TLC, like everyone here I'm eager to hear "Darn that
    Dream" on your masterpiece. An appropriate song I must say.

    Long may you be its keeper.

    Best , Alan
    Thank you Foxman. Its a beautiful piece. When I get the Tranducer sorted out, Darn that Dream is on the hit list, along with a bunch of others. The Guitar inspires me. The others will be jealous! JD

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Longobardi View Post
    Joe,
    Its really gorgeous. This is pure classic acoustic Archtop design at its best.
    I know it's been a long road of guitar acquisitions, trades and sales to finally own this pc- but you will find that owning a D'Angelico is a very special feeling - since it's the standard by which all else is judged - and YOU now own one.

    The balance and volume of DA' s are so good you will begin to hear notes within chords that you may never have heard on other guitars.

    Wishing you many years of enjoyment.
    Stevie, I wasn't expecting it to be this good. I thought it would be something I would be afraid to play. I wont be.
    You were instrumental in this too.
    I still cant believe I got the one I got. Incredible!
    Thanks Buddy, JD

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    Joe,

    Glad she made it home and into your loving arms my friend. It's a relief, I'm sure. Waiting for something like that to arrive is an experience. Play her in good health.

    Happy Holidays, and once again, congratulations.

    Steve

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    I still remember the day I got my first DA, a Style A that was flamed to beat the band.
    it's a very exciting moment opening the case for the first time and seeing the master's banner on the peghead and engraving on the tailpiece.
    mine had been oversprayed w/clear @ some point but the original alligator case was still almost brand new and had the "Gravois Music-St Louis" brass tag on the outside. Gravois was where Mel Bay taught and if you check DA's ledger you see that many of his guitars were shipped there. it wasn't the loudest guitar, but very even and balanced all over the neck. according to the ledger is was the next to last Style A made.

    many old archtops develop high action over the years.
    the advantage over flat tops of course is an adjustable bridge.
    but if you're bottomed out on the bridge and the action's still a bit high, try a shorter bridge top.

    Congrats Pisan!

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    Congrats!
    It looks nice and nice pictures.

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
    Wow Joe! I was just on the other thread writing you at the same time you were putting this thread out. That is as good as you can get! It's what we all dream about. Not all can have one. You are now in an elite group and will be I'm sure, for the rest of your life. Now go to work! It's 6:20am!
    AG, You were great through all my activity. I really appreciate your support and help throughout the process. Thanks buddy. Joe D

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    You married up, guy, but you married well!
    Thanks Lawson.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyppolyte Bergamotte View Post
    You are well deserving such a guitar,Joe!

    You must be a sort of musical genius!When I think You learned to play (extremely well) jazz in only one year between 2011 and 2013!!
    I took years to become able to play jazz.
    HB, I wish I deserved this guitar. There are many others who deserve it more because they play better but they cant afford one. I consider myself fortunate to be able to say I got one! Thanks, Joe D

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I say this statement without a shred of hyperbole: John made some of the most beautiful instruments in the history of the world, and this is one of them.
    Mr B, The last thing I would ever expect from you is hyperbole! That's why what you said means so much. You are one of the most real dudes we got here. Thanks for pitching in bud.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    Congratulations Joe.
    An all too rare example of things as they should be - -
    A classic masterpiece instrument, in the appreciative hands of a player whose music will always do it justice.
    All the best Joe.

    Dennis
    Dennis, Very well said. I think its a perfect guitar and the music I will play on it is what it was made for. Now lets see if I can live up to it. I doubt it. And I am not patronizing myself when I say that. This is world class stuff. I, am not world class. Thanks for always being a nice guy Dennis. JD

    Quote Originally Posted by gtrplrfla View Post
    Congratulations Joe, on your acquisition of what may be the most beautiful and aesthetically perfect guitar I 've ever seen. I swear I could almost hear a chord rich , "Stella By Starlight" emanating from those gorgeous photographs !
    Play her for ever and cherish her unique and never to be duplicated artistry !
    Thanks for saying that about my baby! It is pretty sexy and pleasing to the eyes.. It makes me look like shit when I holding it!
    Joe Pass's version of Stella is a 7 minute run of 64th notes with chords mixed (in 1/16ths).. I stay away from that one. maybe one day..
    Thanks buddy. JD

    Quote Originally Posted by gspirro1 View Post
    Fabulous instrument! Congratulations and I hope you play and enjoy that guitar for many more years, in good health.
    Now the handsome gspirro1 is the guy who should be holding this guitar, not me.
    Thanks buddy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    Joe,

    Your D'Angelico looks just like my first guitar teacher's Excel. I sure know how that sounds--in my sleep--let me tell you. It remains the best sounding guitar (not just archtop) I ever recall hearing or attempting to play. (I was 12 at the time.)
    Congratulations on arriving at the point of acquiring one of Mr. John's 1,164 works of art. Enjoy and use it in good health.

    GT
    GT, The sound is captivating for sure. I went over to the wall and showed my wife the different sounds that the guitars make and she insisted that was plucking the strings differently on the DA. She got up and did it herself and still couldn't believe it. Thanks Buddy.

    Quote Originally Posted by ESCC View Post
    Classic, timeless, beautiful!
    Very anxious to see the guitar you will be purchasing next week, they keep getting better!
    My guitar buying days are over. Well, maybe not over but I doubt something better will come along. Unless, I stumble into a great deal on a Gibson Johnny Smith. But that wont happen..

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Stunning !!! I believe every member here shares the joy in this great blessing. JD has a JD.
    Thanks brother. And thanks for being there always making this passion of mine that much better.

    Quote Originally Posted by r_cc_c View Post
    Congrats! & Marry Christmas! looking forward to some youtube acoustic recording of yours.
    Thank you. Hopefully, I will not disappoint!

    Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone View Post
    Joe,

    Glad she made it home and into your loving arms my friend. It's a relief, I'm sure. Waiting for something like that to arrive is an experience. Play her in good health.

    Happy Holidays, and once again, congratulations.

    Steve
    Steve, thanks buddy. I wasn't really worried about the shipping. I get the feeling Mr D'Angelico's spirit travels with every one of his guitars.. Thanks for all your gracious words.

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    I still remember the day I got my first DA, a Style A that was flamed to beat the band.
    it's a very exciting moment opening the case for the first time and seeing the master's banner on the peghead and engraving on the tailpiece.
    mine had been oversprayed w/clear @ some point but the original alligator case was still almost brand new and had the "Gravois Music-St Louis" brass tag on the outside. Gravois was where Mel Bay taught and if you check DA's ledger you see that many of his guitars were shipped there. it wasn't the loudest guitar, but very even and balanced all over the neck. according to the ledger is was the next to last Style A made.

    many old archtops develop high action over the years.
    the advantage over flat tops of course is an adjustable bridge.
    but if you're bottomed out on the bridge and the action's still a bit high, try a shorter bridge top.

    Congrats Pisan!
    I saw the original alligator case that I didn't get. Yeah I wish I had that case. Although, if you ever have an opportunity to get an Ameritage case, you might want to consider it.
    Your experience was much like mine in that when I opened the case, I looked at the logo on the headstock and I felt like I was dreaming. And you are right about the loudness. Its not the loudest guitar but the low bass notes are very prominent without overtaking the mids and highs. None of my other guitars do that. The gamma of sound coming from the guitar is wide.
    I am hoping when and if I get the Barbera, the new bridge that I have made will allow me to lower the action a little. Just a little. Maybe a half a millimeter at most. I love the Barbera because it sounds great and you don't know its there..
    Ci Vediamo GT.

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    why didn't you get the original case?

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    It wasn't offered. It was between the Ameritage and an old Guild Case. Because it was being shipped, I took the Ameritage.

  39. #38

    User Info Menu

    Mr. Joe Pass was 100% correct as is the gift to Mr. Joe DeNisco. 2 men I greatly admire.

  40. #39

    User Info Menu

    You can have the saddle bottom shaved down at the two spots where it meets the posts. Just a thought. That might be scary for some, but if the original bridge doesn't work for you, it will just sit in the case forever anyway.

    I hope you don't wait til you have this transducer to share the sound. I'd like to hear it with a mic, myself. Recording a D'A acoustic with a transducer is kind of like touching a girl with gloves on.
    Permanent favorites: 2016 Gibson L-5 WesMo, 1999 Gibson L-5CESN, 1928 Gibson L-5
    Play more, buy less

  41. #40

    User Info Menu

    I am thrilled for you, buddy. That's the holy grail.

    There's nothing left really except to play it as much as possible and enjoy it. The quest for tone is over.

    Let's see how you manage living large!!!
    MG

  42. #41

    User Info Menu

    hear hear..i've seen 8 year old guitars in worse shape!! amazing...detail work worked!! hah

    and not to worry about action..your old pro guitar man..can deal with..tricks like lowering nut slots (if possible) or getting the bridge lower with a little sanding of the saddle bottom..no big deal..even an overbowed neck can be straightened with heat and clamps..leave it to the old pro..and enjoy enjoy..an xmas you'll never forget!!

    was great to be along for the ride


    cheers

  43. #42

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Mr. Joe Pass was 100% correct as is the gift to Mr. Joe DeNisco. 2 men I greatly admire.
    Ah.. You caught that one. I've been looking for a quote for a while. I just saw that one in the LA times article..
    I admire you too, St.Cenzo..

    Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
    You can have the saddle bottom shaved down at the two spots where it meets the posts. Just a thought. That might be scary for some, but if the original bridge doesn't work for you, it will just sit in the case forever anyway.

    I hope you don't wait til you have this transducer to share the sound. I'd like to hear it with a mic, myself. Recording a D'A acoustic with a transducer is kind of like touching a girl with gloves on.
    Yeah but it would more fun to stick a Barber in there.. Do you have any experience with a Barber? Or furthermore, with the tech he so vigorously recommends Allan Watsky from Leonia - wants to keep my Guitar for at least 3 weeks while he makes a new bridge saddle for me..
    As for recording, I will mic it too.. But I like recording AB so I could phase out my pick clicking this time..

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    I am thrilled for you, buddy. That's the holy grail.
    There's nothing left really except to play it as much as possible and enjoy it. The quest for tone is over.
    Let's see how you manage living large!!!
    MG, you've been a good pal to me. The pressure is on, watch me fold.. Naa, I'll be aright.
    I remember asking Patrick if he ever had the urge to own an original DA. He said. I asked why.. He said, "I just never had the urge too". I sure as hell did.. Thanks my Friend.

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic View Post
    hear hear..i've seen 8 year old guitars in worse shape!! amazing...detail work worked!! hah
    and not to worry about action..your old pro guitar man..can deal with..tricks like lowering nut slots (if possible) or getting the bridge lower with a little sanding of the saddle bottom..no big deal..even an overbowed neck can be straightened with heat and clamps..leave it to the old pro..and enjoy enjoy..an xmas you'll never forget!!

    was great to be along for the ride

    cheers
    neatomic, When I brought the Heritage in for some touchup work (2 weeks ago for a 1 week job), Ronaldo said, "Wow Joe, dats a nicer than a real Dangelico.. Wait till he see's this one.
    Thanks for being passenger in the "Joe loses his mind and buys a real DA Express". Again, if I didn't have you guys driving along with me, I probably would have turned around and went back home!

    Thanks Everyone.
    Joe D.

    PS. Jack Zucker would have chastised me for making an old guitar shiny and new again. I miss the Jackster.. Come back Jack. We'd love to have you back again.

  44. #43

    User Info Menu

    Joe it is interesting that your 1935 DA is 3 inches thick. My 1937 DA is 3 1/8 inches thick and my 1948 DA is 3 1/4 inches thick. I guess as John D'Angelico aged, both he and his guitars got a little thicker around the middle . (The truth is that he custom made them for each customer's needs. My 37 has a 1 11/16 nut, my 48 has a 1 3/4 nut. Both of mine have a 25 inch scale)
    _____________________________________________
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass

  45. #44

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Joe it is interesting that your 1935 DA is 3 inches thick. My 1937 DA is 3 1/8 inches thick and my 1948 DA is 3 1/4 inches thick. I guess as John D'Angelico aged, both he and his guitars got a little thicker around the middle . (The truth is that he custom made them for each customer's needs. My 37 has a 1 11/16 nut, my 48 has a 1 3/4 nut. Both of mine have a 25 inch scale)


    I had an early Excel that was about 2 1/2" deep.
    it had an original set of engraved Grover tuners that one see on 30's Gibson Super 400's like this.
    only DA I ever saw w/those..


  46. #45

    User Info Menu

    Congrats Joe...I couldn't imagine a nicer guy owning that guitar. I can't believe just how in great shape it is for an 80 year old guitar. That is unreal. You basically have a Stradivarius level guitar. Can't wait to see/hear your vids.

  47. #46

    User Info Menu

    She's precious Joe! Talk about a piece of history. I'm happy she arrived safe and sound. See, good things do come from the Northwest! Mega congrats to you!!!

  48. #47

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Joe it is interesting that your 1935 DA is 3 inches thick. My 1937 DA is 3 1/8 inches thick and my 1948 DA is 3 1/4 inches thick. I guess as John D'Angelico aged, both he and his guitars got a little thicker around the middle . (The truth is that he custom made them for each customer's needs. My 37 has a 1 11/16 nut, my 48 has a 1 3/4 nut. Both of mine have a 25 inch scale)
    SS my measurements are guesstimates. I'll give more accurate measurements when I get home.

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    I had an early Excel that was about 2 1/2" deep.
    it had an original set of engraved Grover tuners that one see on 30's Gibson Super 400's like this.
    only DA I ever saw w/those..

    the engraved tuners are nice. Really beautiful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarbean25 View Post
    Congrats Joe...I couldn't imagine a nicer guy owning that guitar. I can't believe just how in great shape it is for an 80 year old guitar. That is unreal. You basically have a Stradivarius level guitar. Can't wait to see/hear your vids.
    Beans, oh I'm sure there are nicer guys owning DA's. But yeah the guitar is beautiful. I appreciate what you said because I know you know great guitars! Thanks my man.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    She's precious Joe! Talk about a piece of history. I'm happy she arrived safe and sound. See, good things do come from the Northwest! Mega congrats to you!!!
    thanks 2b. Great things come from Pac NW. Look at you!!! Thanks bro. JD
    Last edited by Max405; 12-17-2015 at 11:11 PM.

  49. #48

    User Info Menu

    My rim dimension is 3". Nut 1-3/4. Scale 24-3/4. Now the arch on back and front bump it out so it's deeper than 3" but I don't have way to measure that.
    JD

  50. #49

    User Info Menu

    I just lowered the bridge as far as it will go. Near perfect action. No fret buzz. Oh, boy this is special.. Not much I am missing out on without the cutaway. Thank you God for connecting me with this guitar!

  51. #50

    User Info Menu

    Y'know Joe? Unless you changed recently,I never noticed your signature before:

    Joe DeNisco

    "I think it's a gift from God that I play the guitar" ~ Mr. Joe Pass

    You'se two Joeses just went up a notch or three in my book :-)
    Regards,

    Gary