The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 185

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Joe what's wonderful about this is that it's so much fun seeing your pleasure in this guitar, and something about how you carry yourself makes its impossible for me to be discontent or envious. It makes me want to pick up my Loar, my Peerless, my Epiphone, and play my heart out. It doesn't make me dislike what I have, it just makes me smile periodically all day long to think about how happy you are with this instrument.

It takes a special kind of person to turn such a lovely acquisition into a community celebration. Your guitar has become a kind of gift to us all.
    WOW LS. That was beautiful. I didn't realize it was going that way but wow, I'm grateful to hear that this is the way I'm perceived. I am glad I have this guitar even more if it makes other people happy too.
    I let my son read the posts here this morning and he had a big smile on his face when I saw what everyone was saying. So you folks have made this great for ME. In so many ways.
    I think I am done wheeling and dealing for a while. That is good because I can focus on what I got and also focus on other forum members triumphs. Thanks for everything guys. And once more LS, I appreciate your beautiful post.

JD

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    The only bad thing you have done here is to make me ponder selling 15 guitars to buy an original D'Angelico. The math works, but... oy, the effort!
    But think of how much space you would create...your wife would love you for it.

User Info Menu

Joe, I know you well enough to know that you will take delight in this short tale of what happened earlier today. I took a new student for her first guitar. She had a very low budget, and I was unsure we would get anything worthwhile at all. But we did get something, not the greatest guitar in the world by any means, but I can assure you she seemed to share the same degree of excitement you have felt over your recent acquisitions. I've rarely seen anyone so happy, as she hugged it on the bus home. And that guitar will inspire her to play, take her those first few steps on a great adventure. To her it is irreplaceable. It just made me reflect on how lucky we all are to have music in our lives, to have guitars we can play music with. We all share in your and her happiness. We are all lucky. Life could easily have worked out differently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Nea, Yes the nod was too my Father, John D'Angelico, Johnny Carson and Barry Galbreath.
    I wish the Pup was gold, it would all match, cant have it all. Acoustic sound is sweet. I don't play hard so I don't get nearly the volume out of this guitar as others would. I love it.

having it gold plated is not out of the question!!...haha

i like your foursome!! gods bless

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Joe, I know you well enough to know that you will take delight in this short tale of what happened earlier today. I took a new student for her first guitar. She had a very low budget, and I was unsure we would get anything worthwhile at all. But we did get something, not the greatest guitar in the world by any means, but I can assure you she seemed to share the same degree of excitement you have felt over your recent acquisitions. I've rarely seen anyone so happy, as she hugged it on the bus home. And that guitar will inspire her to play, take her those first few steps on a great adventure. To her it is irreplaceable. It just made me reflect on how lucky we all are to have music in our lives, to have guitars we can play music with. We all share in your and her happiness. We are all lucky. Life could easily have worked out differently.
    Rob, it's too bad you weren't able to photograph her hugging the guitar. That would have been a great post. Tell her for me that there's a guy across the "pond" who wants to be 1st to hear her first recording. And with you as a teacher, she is definitely gonna be good that's for sure.
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe... wow. I... wow.

You know?

User Info Menu

Yeah, playing like that beauty like nature intended.

Enjoy your lovely guitar in good health, Joe. Merry Christmas.

User Info Menu

Killer tone and playing Joe! Talk about a match made in heaven - DeArmond and D'Angelico...1935 never saw it so good!

User Info Menu

Holy cow! That's THE sound! Where do you go from there? Nowhere! Sit back and enjoy the sound and I'm sure as you adjust and adapt to the guitar, the guitar will adapt to you and your touch, at least I believe instruments adapt to their player over time. It is right that a guitar like that should be in the hands of a great player who will make beautiful music with it for years to come. That's exactly what it was built for! Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitpicker
    Holy cow! That's THE sound! Where do you go from there? Nowhere! Sit back and enjoy the sound and I'm sure as you adjust and adapt to the guitar, the guitar will adapt to you and your touch, at least I believe instruments adapt to their player over time. It is right that a guitar like that should be in the hands of a great player who will make beautiful music with it for years to come. That's exactly what it was built for! Congratulations!
    Git, you are right. I'm done, finally. I believe you are right about adapting, both ways. I hope you know this is the ONLY Guitar that could have pry' me away from that absolutely perfect L5 Wes. Thanks bud. JD

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Killer tone and playing Joe! Talk about a match made in heaven - DeArmond and D'Angelico...1935 never saw it so good!
    2b, thanks brother man. I am a happy dude.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yeah, playing like that beauty like nature intended.
    Enjoy your lovely guitar in good health, Joe. Merry Christmas.
    Mr B, Thank you. Oh yeah it is pretty freakin Merry Christmas I'd say.. Thanks buddy and Merry Christmas to you and you family.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Joe... wow. I... wow
    You know?
    C, I know exactly what you mean. I sit here in amazement over this. I can't understand how this whole thing just happened. It brought me contentment. Thanks buddy.

User Info Menu

Joe,
    Great playing as always. That guitar sounds sublime. Enjoy!!!

User Info Menu

I liked the electric sound, how about an acoustic video?
    that's what D'Angelico was building in '35, Gibson's ES-150 hadn't even hit the market yet.

User Info Menu

Guys, it has started to set in.
    Here is my assessment after playing the DA for a couple of days.
    It plays just as great as any other other guitar I've owned. That is speaking volumes about this legendary guitar. Remember it is 80 years old. The only restoration that was done was paint, new frets, new tuners new bridge and pickguard. So the neck, fretboard, tailpiece, bindings and incredible body is totally original. Intonation is spot on everywhere.
    The separation between this guitar and all others I've owned is the sound. I am using TI jazz swing 13's, so I am not pushing it to its intended sweet spot. But within the narrow field I am using, it is superior to everything else. I use light picks and I tickle the strings. This guitar plays the Jazz stuff I do with more meaning and sweetness than anything else I've ever touched.
    i am working on a new song that I will record in stereo fully acoustic left and DeArmond on the right. You will be able to hear it both ways. Like Donald Trump says, it's gonna be spectacular. I will post after Christmas. Until then, here is another beauty shot..
    I have no idea why pictures rotate after you post them. Sorry guys..
    Attached Images Attached Images D'Angelico Excel-image-jpg 

User Info Menu

One more

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I liked the electric sound, how about an acoustic video?
    that's what D'Angelico was building in '35, Gibson's ES-150 hadn't even hit the market yet.
    Im working hard on it. Thanks Wintermoon.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    Joe,
    Great playing as always. That guitar sounds sublime. Enjoy!!!
    Tony, thank you buddy. Joe D

User Info Menu

What a beauty! Congrats!

User Info Menu

Joe,

You followed my advice to a "T".

Vintage DA, vintage Dearmond, TI 13 flats. The sound is perfect and unbeatable.

I rest my case.

BTW, my 48 DA has gold hardware with a chrome Dearmond. It is all good. The price of gold plated vintage Dearmond's is too high, IMO, to justify color coordinating the whole rig. You are set. Now that your gear is settled, it is time to enjoy and play.

Salute!
    Last edited by Stringswinger; 12-20-2015 at 02:32 PM.

User Info Menu

let's face it..that guitar is of such outstanding quality that you could put on some 80/20 (hex core!) bronze and play it acoustically...as when d'angelico designed it..and nothing would be better...or put some great pure nickel flats and a dearmond pickup on it..and have an insanely great amplified tone as well..no downside!

thats why it's a grail guitar!!!

if you banged on the back of it, probably be a pretty good drum too!! hahaha...(don't do it!!)

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    let's face it..that guitar is of such outstanding quality that you could put on some 80/20 (hex core!) bronze and play it acoustically...as when d'angelico designed it..and nothing would be better...or put some great pure nickel flats and a dearmond pickup on it..and have an insanely great amplified tone as well..no downside!

thats why it's a grail guitar!!!

if you banged on the back of it, probably be a pretty good drum too!! hahaha...(don't do it!!)

cheers
    neatomic, well put. I love how you characterized it, "Grail" guitar. That sounds special. I can't believe it's mine. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Joe,

You followed my advice to a "T".

Vintage DA, vintage Dearmond, TI 13 flats. The sound is perfect and unbeatable.

I rest my case.

BTW, my 48 DA has gold hardware with a chrome Dearmond. It is all good. The price of gold plated vintage Dearmond's is too high, IMO, to justify color coordinating the whole rig. You are set. Now that your gear is settled, it is time to enjoy and play.

Salute!
    Marco, I did follow your advice. It was very natural. You and I have the same taste, so it just happened that way.
    I really am enjoying. For the 1st time ever, I am thinking about the next one. It's peaceful.

Thanks, JD

User Info Menu

Sorry guys, I just had to..
    video to come, as promised next weekend, acoustic, with mics..
    Attached Images Attached Images D'Angelico Excel-image-jpg D'Angelico Excel-image-jpg 

User Info Menu

Couple more..D'Angelico Excel-image-jpg

User Info Menu

No "sorry" necessary bro. Happy to see someone from NJ channeling Patrick with intimate archtop pix atop the sheets. Nice 'pillow talk' there boy!

User Info Menu

The elation grows more and more every day with this guitar. I sit there and stare at things on the guitar. Like for instance, the shape of the headstock. The crown, the finial... All the etching there and on the fretboard inlays.. I am in amazement that the man considered the Stradivarius of archtop guitar did all of that over 80 years ago. With his own hands.
    I am afraid to play any of my other guitars. I might blow through a set of TI's in a month. Which is actually ok because I have to buff out the scratches that I put on it when removing that stupid, god damned DeArmond contraption.. I am so pissed about that..

User Info Menu

Sounds like a Dearmond neck rod is in your future....

User Info Menu

Yep, you know it..