The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 185

User Info Menu

I've been looking for the perfect signature for a while. It had to be a quote from one of my heroes and I saw this one earlier in the LA Times interview with him before he passed away. So there it is, 2 keepers in one week!
    Thanks Gary.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

an early Merry Christmas JD!
    good dude to wind up w/it, won't be just a showpiece thank god

User Info Menu

Theres a real work of art! Enjoy that one in good health. Bob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    an early Merry Christmas JD!
    good dude to wind up w/it, won't be just a showpiece thank god
    Thank you Wintermoon. I appreciate it buddy. Its just really starting to set in now. I cant believe I own this thing. I played it for a couple of hours last night. The 24-3/4" scale was actually the biggest thing to get use to. Took like 3 minutes.. It makes beautiful sound. Its funny how each guitar has it own character. This one has an amazing neck. I didn't think that would be the case. I thought it would have a chunky neck. It also has thinner frets. But they don't feel like the thinner frets that were on my L7c or my dads 175. Im not sure what the radious of the neck is, if I had to guess I'd say maybe 14?? Its a very solid guitar that feels way smaller than a 17" guitar should feel. But even though its extremely solid, I am still afraid to really dig into it. Because of its age, I worry that Bindings are gonna separate and like an Italian sports car, pieces are gonna break off in my hands.. I know its not going to happen, I just probably respect it too much right now. You are right, it will get played. But after every play, I will wipe it down and turn it back into the showpiece it deserves to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Top of the Arch!
    Theres a real work of art! Enjoy that one in good health. Bob
    Thank you Bob. I worried about the good health thing.. Since I bought it, all I want to do is play it and stare at it. I haven't worked out since Wednesday night.. The only things that will stay in shape will be my fingers!
    JD

User Info Menu

Welcome to the 1935 D'A Club!
    Who did the restoration on that? It looks like it was built last week!

I don't know anything about the Barbera pickup, but IMHO, with the right DeArmond and the right Ampeg amp, you could get the best guitar sound that ever existed- the post- 1955 JS sound.
    Congrats on acquiring both a great instrument, and a great work of art!

User Info Menu

SG, hey how are you. thanks man.
    The restoration was done by a gentleman out in the Bay Area by the name of Bill Reinhart. Masterful job. He did leave all the original bindings and fretboard. There is not a single imperfection in the wood. It's unreal.
    Im stressing about trimming the pickguard. I'd have the stupid pup on there already if I didn't have to mod the PG.
    thanks SG.

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Welcome to the 1935 D'A Club!
    Who did the restoration on that? It looks like it was built last week!

I don't know anything about the Barbera pickup, but IMHO, with the right DeArmond and the right Ampeg amp, you could get the best guitar sound that ever existed- the post- 1955 JS sound.
    Congrats on acquiring both a great instrument, and a great work of art!

User Info Menu

ah so..i was under the false impression that the luthier you got it from had done the restoration..interesting..he just studied it!! hah..good stuff

the plot thickens

cheers

User Info Menu

Beautiful piece. I silently worried about the play-ability for you based on your concerns. Even the most beautiful sound can be hard to bond with if you have to fight to play it. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    I just lowered the bridge as far as it will go. Near perfect action. No fret buzz. Oh, boy this is special.. Not much I am missing out on without the cutaway. Thank you God for connecting me with this guitar!

User Info Menu

Alright, I'm wrong again. I slid the pickguard over and the DeArmond fits. And, wrong again because it looks and sounds cool.
    So I wont disappoint my bro's, here is a video I made this Morning. Once, again, thanks for saving me from myself. Everyone who told me to try the DeArmond. You guys were spot on.
    Its a keeper. Just like the guitar.
    Thanks Bro's

User Info Menu

Superb! Molto Bene! John D'Angelico would be well pleased.

User Info Menu

love it! first off it looks fantastic! guitar and pickup-perfect combo...listened to with headphones..huge low end...must project across the room acoustically...but balanced by clear and focused top..beautiful classic tone...

and the nod to the heavens...indeed

good stuff

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 12-19-2015 at 12:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Joe,
    What beautiful tone !!!!! I can hear the richness and warmth of each note. The treble is nice and fat with that incredible balance and piano like ring that DA's are known for. The bass is so pure it carrys the music cohesively as a master archtop should. Your playing is truly beautiful. The best part( for me) was when you looked up ......and gave what appeared to be a gesture of gratitude for this instrument.

Its truly magnificant - enjoy it !

User Info Menu

Wow! Joe that is beautiful. I love it - the playing, the guitar, the pup, the wall, your shirt, ... Ok I'll stop there.

Seriously, if I didn't already have the sisters to what you are playing, this video would convince me to sell anything I could to try to get there. It's just the sound I hear in my head and the look I've got in my eyes that I love the most about electric jazz guitar. And you haven't even posted a vid of the acoustic sound. Just wait to people hear that!

So I got the D'A. Check. Got the DeArmond. Check. Now there's only one problem left. I need to figure out a way to play so well. Which reminds me ... anyone out there want to buy my soul in trade for Joe's talent and skill?

I'm so happy for you buddy. Congrats.

Cheers, Chris

[QUOTE=Joe DeNisco;596271]Alright, I'm wrong again. I slid the pickguard over and the DeArmond fits. And, wrong again because it looks and sounds cool.
    So I wont disappoint my bro's, here is a video I made this Morning. Once, again, thanks for saving me from myself. Everyone who told me to try the DeArmond. You guys were spot on.
    Its a keeper. Just like the guitar.
    Thanks Bro's
    /QUOTE]

User Info Menu

Joe, that is the best-sounding guitar I've ever heard. The dream. So pleased for you! The downside is that you now have a bunch of guys looking at their own excellent guitars, and sighing!

Also, I could listen to you play all day long.

User Info Menu

Beautiful solo! The two masters Johnny and John are looking down from Heaven, smiling.
    On the single note runs, it sounded like it could have been JS playing on one of the Foursome LPs.

User Info Menu

Whoa. So I now will take back what I said earlier, Joe. You did not "marry up." That is one very lucky guitar that will be pampered, cared for, and played in the manner for which it's maker intended it.

You two belong together!

User Info Menu

So Joe,
    How did you record that? Such a wonderful instrument, with so much resonance, how did you capture the sound? I know sometimes you've recorded direct to the computer; did you do that this time?

I know that's like looking at Miss Universe and asking how she cleans her toenails, but I'm really interested, if you don't mind, in how you managed to capture that audio so that by the time YouTube has compressed it, my computer has downloaded its, and my cheap speakers have mangled it, it still sounds… like the angels!

User Info Menu

Just seen your vid Joe.

Great playing, as ever, but...what a sound. Never heard anything approaching that, even through Mac speakers.
    You must be well pleased.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Superb! Molto Bene! John D'Angelico would be well pleased.
    SS, I owe a lot of this to you. Thanks bro. I will do some more stuff with the Guitar once I get more time on it. The Pickup sounds great. I am guessing it is probablyclose to 40 years old and its brand new. No noise whatsoever. I'm glad my stubborn ass listened for once..
    JD

User Info Menu

Awesome. Like I said in the other thread - two voices are in that guitar; its vibrant acoustic one and a warm electric one powered by DeArmond. You're there! Sounds terrific, and suits you perfectly.

The only bad thing you have done here is to make me ponder selling 15 guitars to buy an original D'Angelico. The math works, but... oy, the effort!

Peace - enjoy that puppy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    love it! first off it looks fantastic! guitar and pickup-perfect combo...listened to with headphones..huge low end...must project across the room acoustically...but balanced by clear and focused top..beautiful classic tone...
    and the nod to the heavens...indeed
    good stuff
    cheers
    Nea, Yes the nod was too my Father, John D'Angelico, Johnny Carson and Barry Galbreath.
    I wish the Pup was gold, it would all match, cant have it all. Acoustic sound is sweet. I don't play hard so I don't get nearly the volume out of this guitar as others would. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Longobardi
    Joe,
    What beautiful tone !!!!! I can hear the richness and warmth of each note. The treble is nice and fat with that incredible balance and piano like ring that DA's are known for. The bass is so pure it carrys the music cohesively as a master archtop should. Your playing is truly beautiful. The best part( for me) was when you looked up ......and gave what appeared to be a gesture of gratitude for this instrument.
    Its truly magnificant - enjoy it !
    Thank you Stevie. I keep thinking about my Father since I got this Guitar.
    Its an awesome instrument. I don't really feel I do it justice, But I'm gonna keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by cgratham
    Wow! Joe that is beautiful. I love it - the playing, the guitar, the pup, the wall, your shirt, ... Ok I'll stop there.

Seriously, if I didn't already have the sisters to what you are playing, this video would convince me to sell anything I could to try to get there. It's just the sound I hear in my head and the look I've got in my eyes that I love the most about electric jazz guitar. And you haven't even posted a vid of the acoustic sound. Just wait to people hear that!

So I got the D'A. Check. Got the DeArmond. Check. Now there's only one problem left. I need to figure out a way to play so well. Which reminds me ... anyone out there want to buy my soul in trade for Joe's talent and skill?

I'm so happy for you buddy. Congrats.

Cheers, Chris
    That was beautiful Chris. Thank you very much. I am glad we both have D'A's. People don't know, but I basically begged Chris to let me buy his. He thought about it for like a minute and said I'm sorry, but no way.. So now we both have them. And its awesome. I'm gonna get better on it too. It takes getting use to, but this guitar will make me a better player. There is no cover up in this guitar. It puts out exactly what you put in. It will clean me up for sure.
    Thanks Chris. Joe D.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Joe, that is the best-sounding guitar I've ever heard. The dream. So pleased for you! The downside is that you now have a bunch of guys looking at their own excellent guitars, and sighing!
    Also, I could listen to you play all day long.
    Rob, that's a great compliment coming from you sir. The guitar is the epidemy of what a virtuoso type instrument should sound like. I told my son, in 20 years it will be 100. Please don't sell it before then.. And always keep it nice. Hey wait a minute, I'll still be around, I forgot!
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Beautiful solo! The two masters Johnny and John are looking down from Heaven, smiling.
    On the single note runs, it sounded like it could have been JS playing on one of the Foursome LPs.
    Thanks SG. I am blessed with this thing. I have to get that Album. Thanks for saying that, but I am well aware that I couldn't carry Johnny's jock-strap when it comes to playing. He set the bar, some others have met and exceeded it but I will never get there. I'm gonna keep trying though.
    Thanks Buddy. JD

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So Joe,
    How did you record that? Such a wonderful instrument, with so much resonance, how did you capture the sound? I know sometimes you've recorded direct to the computer; did you do that this time?

I know that's like looking at Miss Universe and asking how she cleans her toenails, but I'm really interested, if you don't mind, in how you managed to capture that audio so that by the time YouTube has compressed it, my computer has downloaded its, and my cheap speakers have mangled it, it still sounds… like the angels!
    LS, The recording was very simple. Video capture with YouCam 6. I plugged my Zoom G3 into a USB port. Plugged into the Zoom. Set YouCam to record using audio from the G3. Then set the G3 to No Amp, Flat EQ and just a touch of reverb. It was pretty simple and easy to repeat. YouTube's compression is not that bad.
    Thanks for thinking it was like the angels.. JD

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    Just seen your vid Joe.
    Great playing, as ever, but...what a sound. Never heard anything approaching that, even through Mac speakers.
    You must be well pleased.
    Yeah the sound wins on this one. The pickup is really incredible. A great piece of engineering. I feel bad that I doubted it. I actually left it on the guitar. I am gonna have a lot fun with this. I the sense of pride I feel for it is off the charts! Thanks buddy, JD

User Info Menu

Thanks for the video that made my day

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Awesome. Like I said in the other thread - two voices are in that guitar; its vibrant acoustic one and a warm electric one powered by DeArmond. You're there! Sounds terrific, and suits you perfectly.

The only bad thing you have done here is to make me ponder selling 15 guitars to buy an original D'Angelico. The math works, but... oy, the effort!

Peace - enjoy that puppy.
    I feel like I forged a friendship with you and a lot of other people here because of this guitar. That's cool. Sort of like "I tie a steak around my neck so the dog would play with me".. Hey I'll take it anyway I can get it. Roger you've been great. I'm not sure an opportunity even exists but - any way I can help you in the future, I am there.
    And yes, the effort blows..
    Happy Holidays dude. Joe D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    Thanks for the video that made my day
    Thanks F. This is a good one I think. I am so grateful. Thanks Buddy, JD

User Info Menu

Joe what's wonderful about this is that it's so much fun seeing your pleasure in this guitar, and something about how you carry yourself makes its impossible for me to be discontent or envious. It makes me want to pick up my Loar, my Peerless, my Epiphone, and play my heart out. It doesn't make me dislike what I have, it just makes me smile periodically all day long to think about how happy you are with this instrument.

It takes a special kind of person to turn such a lovely acquisition into a community celebration. Your guitar has become a kind of gift to us all.