The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 121

User Info Menu

Does anybody knows anything about the Polytone Mini Brute II combo?

Is it good for semi-hollows if I need warm jazz sound and acoustic cleanness?

How much does it costs approximately?

Polytone Mini Brute II - A Good Choice for Jazz?-polytone-mini-brute-ii-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play through one..Mini Brute II...since 1985...

My axe is a 1977 Ibanez 2355 (ES-175)..with .014" flatwounds and a lower than most string action....a nice smoothe sound...you do lose the percussive effect with lower action but it's developed with me and my sound...

I like the polytone...

time on the instrument...pierre

User Info Menu

I have a MB2 also, in fact it is my only amp currently. And very nice for jazz IMO. For me it has a warm, fat, dark kind of character, very jazzy, and it does seem to bring out the woody character of an archtop guitar. In fact almost any guitar sounds somewhat jazzy with the right tone settings. However, one slight issue possibly is what you refer to as 'acoustic clearness' - I would not say it has a massive amount of high-end sparkle to the sound, so if you want crystalline highs to come through, it just might not be what you are after. But really, see if you can actually try one before buying - you might just love it!

User Info Menu

Meggy, do you have the latest version of the MB II? Polytone reuses the Mini Brute names. The latest version has these controls:

There is more flexibility here that in the 80's simpler "treble/bass" controls. If one wanted a Polytone that might (?) work better with acoustic guitars, perhaps they could try the MB V, which has tweeters.

User Info Menu

i love my polytone (MB III, 15" speaker, no 'verb) but i will admit--polytones have a "sound." they are not necessarily about transparent reproduction of a guitars tone, they color things pretty heavily in the midrange and lower midrange areas. the nice side of this is that just about any guitar will sound jazzy thru a polytone...the bad news is, things can sound kinda--"samey" i guess. but that sounds like a worse complaint than it is...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Meggy, do you have the latest version of the MB II? Polytone reuses the Mini Brute names. The latest version has these controls:

There is more flexibility here that in the 80's simpler "treble/bass" controls. If one wanted a Polytone that might (?) work better with acoustic guitars, perhaps they could try the MB V, which has tweeters.
    Mine is from the mid to late 90's (which is about when I got it, from Ivor Mairants shop in London, for £600 ish, even then! - You really are spoilt over on your side of the Atlantic! ). But to answer your question, the controls look exactly like the ones you show, so I guess they must have been using this design for a while now. I've also seen more recent models on the web which look pretty much like mine, though there may be some non-visible design changes. The MB V might be a very good suggestion by the way, perhaps the best Polytone to go for if versatilty is key.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    i love my polytone (MB III, 15" speaker, no 'verb) but i will admit--polytones have a "sound." they are not necessarily about transparent reproduction of a guitars tone, they color things pretty heavily in the midrange and lower midrange areas. the nice side of this is that just about any guitar will sound jazzy thru a polytone...the bad news is, things can sound kinda--"samey" i guess. but that sounds like a worse complaint than it is...
    That's kind of what I was trying to say Mr B, although I think you put it better than me. They have a "sound" which you either like, or you don't LOL! I would also add that IMO the Minibrute makes a nice amp for fusion playing, and works well with an effect chain in front of the input. I wish I had another one for a stereo setup!

User Info Menu

Yeah, I think in the end Polytones are not "acoustic" amps. They are used to colour the sound: they are dark with a midrange "honk". I think I'm being optimistic thinking a jangly flattop could ever sound right through a MB, even the one with the tweeters. But no one amp can do it all.

And I know this has been mentioned before, but if you are looking at a MB with the "red knob" (distortion), don't touch that knob! The distortion is horrible. But then, SS amps with a distortion knob have always sounded bad to me. What's up with that? Almost all distortion pedals are SS (Tube Screamer, Klon Centaur...), so why do the onboard overdrives not sound so good? In any case, it makes sense to keep this separate, so that you can mix and match to the amp, or not at all...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Yeah, I think in the end Polytones are not "acoustic" amps. They are used to colour the sound: they are dark with a midrange "honk". I think I'm being optimistic thinking a jangly flattop could ever sound right through a MB, even the one with the tweeters. But no one amp can do it all.

And I know this has been mentioned before, but if you are looking at a MB with the "red knob" (distortion), don't touch that knob! The distortion is horrible. But then, SS amps with a distortion knob have always sounded bad to me. What's up with that? Almost all distortion pedals are SS (Tube Screamer, Klon Centaur...), so why do the onboard overdrives not sound so good? In any case, it makes sense to keep this separate, so that you can mix and match to the amp, or not at all...
    Although the tweeter might be good on a MB for a carved archtop to bring out the acoustic qualities in the sound. As you say though, maybe not a flattop - but who wants to play a flattop anyway... Just kidding flattop fans, honest.

I don't have the red knob, but my amp still has a distortion channel - as you say... horrible! In fact, Polytone distortion is famous for it's horrible-ness! And yet, also as you confirm, I have a couple of solid state distortion pedals that sound great when used with the Polytone. Why can't they build it into the amps? A very good question, but there it is.

User Info Menu

I bought recently a Mini Brute II 2002 model, no distortion but with the sonic circuit. I never had much interest in amps and sounds. I play 'classic' jazz so I only need a clean sound with head room, some reverb, I will add my content into the mix and that is it. I use mostly an Ibanez gb10, flat wounds.

The amp is well designed with the controls on top. It is small, and the weight is acceptable - on the lighter side. The box is massive, and it has a metal grill to protect the speaker. It has all the features one might need: line out, headphones, external speaker out, tone controls, reverb. It has stuff what I won't use likely: fx loop, sonic circuit and boost switch.

My guitar produces a warm tone with an accent on bass. My biggest issue was to find an amp what doesn't really want to add artificially to this, in the name of 'lets make a nice bass boosted jazzy sound'. I like very much the way as it amplifies the sound of my guitar. I didn't notice that it wants to make my guitar sound 'nice' or 'warm' or 'somehow'. As far as the tone quality goes, it is quite nice if nothing is set to the extreme. I wouldn't keep the sonic settings on for jazz, but for blues it can add a very tasty kick to the sound if it is not overused. It was not too hard to find a pleasant setting for my style and guitar, and since then the knobs are there in the same position. Except if someone changed them and I didn't notice it cause the amp still sounds nice.

I think the weak point in this amp is the quality of the speaker. I don't want to say it is bad quality. It does the job and it sounds nice - for an instrument amplifier in this price range. But in my opinion the electronics produce a better sound quality which is somewhat degraded by the speaker. It is more noticeable when I need to play loud and the tone loses the balance. Probably a quality external speaker can make an improvement.

I consider myself lucky to find this amp for sale on a reasonable price in a reasonable distance. This will be my amp likely in the next 15 or so years if it holds up well. I'll let you guys know if it is for sale

User Info Menu

Mini-Brute2, Serial Number P-29428
    Inst : '67 ES175DN V8 T10, Belden 9778/1.5m(guitar~Sw-box), 2m(Sw-box~Amps),Amp Stand/Ultimate AMP-150
    Reference Amps ; '65 Twin reverb and '66 Vibrolux Reverb(C10NS),the two amps switched by footswitch in quickly for comparsion and close match.
    The both amps tilted and listen the front sound directly from about 1.5m distance posision.

Setting : Master/Max(Normal Way for Master VR Type, Equal to Without Master VR.
    Tonal Color Switch/Normal(Center Posituon)
    Gain/3(Use to VR)
    Contour/9~11 O'Clock Position
    Program/Edge Position
    Treble/+1
    Mid/+2
    Bass/+1
    Results : Excelent Jazztone by use to "Sonic Circuit"

Impression : 1E and 2B's traditional Polytone rounded tone by special Eminence.
    3G,4D and 5A's 5flet area tone is thin. Dynamics and rezonant are little less, then I try the Sonic Circuit and got the good sounds .

Notice !!! : Side Handle Design !!! , Prevent for the reverb unit troubles,
    As well as keeping the "Upright" (in the car etc) http://www.murchmusic.com/polytone.htm

The any good amps has good characteristecs, pull up the goodness and don't over demands.
    Last edited by kawa; 04-18-2010 at 07:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Mine is a MB II, 12 inch speaker, made in Aug '99. Does NOT have the Sonic Circuit. I was GASsing about changing the speaker to a higher efficiency one but was not sure if the stock one was 3 ohm or 4 ohm so I opened the back of the cab, it was 4 ohm. I decided not to change the speaker yet (it might be one of the factors for the tone) but I think the fact that they sealed the cab with fiberglass night have something to do with the dark tone too. Be careful with the fiberglass dust if you open the back !

I bought this off Ebay, it came with the reverb already dead and I never bothered to fix it because it sounds right without it (Pat Metheny is rumored to like it better that way too :-). I have a good reverb pedal and I can always use that.

I experimented with the overdrive channel, by playing with the EQ and turning the gain up only a touch, you can get some useful and interesting tones from that channel.

It has an effect loop which also allows you to go into the power section but this feature is not described at all. The manual for these amps is very bare bones. There are no specs and it does not even state what the output wattage is (I suspect between 80-110 W). Only by experimentation, I discovered the internal speaker stays on when you hook up an external cab.

Mine has very low hiss/hum (some people complain about this).

At some point, I will take the preamp line out and feed it through my high watt PA but I don't have any nice cabs for this yet.

At lower volumes, it did a fair job of amplifying an electric bass guitar. I got scared and did not try it at higher volumes.

I used it as a power amp stage for Line 6 Pod, Korg Kaossilator, Korg PX5D and Damage Control Womanizer (direct into low gain input or effect loop return) and I was satisfied with the results. There is a more audible hiss when cut switch is not engaged or pushed up to bright.

Hope these bits help those who have a similar model.

User Info Menu

Last week I was performing at a jazz gig (for only the second time, after a 20 year lay-off!) using an Ibanez Joe Pass JP20 (fitted with an extra Kent Armstrong pickup) and through my Polytone Minibrute 2 amp (mid '90s). I had the tone controls pretty much set flat, except that the bass was rolled down just a tad. Two other guitarists also playing, were both highly complementary about my tone. One was the local jazz guitar wiz (actually one of the best players in the UK IMO), who said my guitar sounded "amazing". I thought it was pretty good too, pity about the guitarist, but still a nice complement to receive. A great jazz amp!

User Info Menu

Did you have the reverb on ? Do you know how many watts it is ? Finally did you play around with the effect loop, line out and the other channel ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Did you have the reverb on ? Do you know how many watts it is ? Finally did you play around with the effect loop, line out and the other channel ?
    I had just a hint of reverb only (control pointing to about 10 o'clock) which seemed fine. I think it's 100 watts, or about that anyway, and I was using the "low-gain" input which seems to give a more subtle tone to me, although with less volume. I've never used the effect loop or line out (though I'll have to have a play at some point), but this was more a straight-ahead jazz/bebop type gig. It does have a distortion channel, but IMO it sucks! - much better results can be had from a cheap effects pedal even. I just regard the amp as a very good "clean jazz tone machine" really - a one trick pony perhaps, but it does that trick very well I think. Although having said that, I have got good results in the past with effects placed simply between the guitar and amp (distortion, eq, chorus, delay, digital reverb), and I think 2 of these amps in stereo could make a great setup for fusion - wish I had another!
    Last edited by Meggy; 04-11-2010 at 12:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kawa
    Mini-Brute2, Serial Number P-29428
    Setting : Master/Max(Normal Way for Master VR Type, Equal to Without Master VR.
    Tonal Color Switch/Normal(Center Posituon)
    Gain/3(Use to VR)
    Contour/9~11 O'Clock Position
    Program/Edge Position
    Treble/+1
    Mid/+2
    Bass/+1
    Results : Excelent Jazztone by use to "Sonic Circuit"
    Thanks kawa. I am sure it is possible to find a good jazz sound with Sonic, and it can work many cases but not for me. I tried your settings but it is way too bass heavy - not working for me. I play with fingers, nails and pick as well. For a walking bass line I am simply overpowered using those settings.

Yes, and forgot to mention that the reverb is really nice and plenty, at 2-3 it is just enough having a tasteful effect.

User Info Menu

Thank you iao ce, yes !!! 6E's rezonant is deep, but 5A-4D-3G's are less,1E and 2B's rounded tone are special than other amps, "That is Polytone" and "Why Polytone" thease are speakers frequency characters.
    All the things decided by Polytone include relationals musicians and their guitars. We use just how to pull the goodness by setting etc. I learnt 1E and 2B's rounded tone by this amp, then I could change other amps setting for same tone. The reverb sounds is very good, Set : 0~1.5(a littel bit Reverb is good complement of SS sounds)

Sonic Circuit is very good, I could get the almost of the same sound by use the Sonic Circuit at last(which one selected by footswitch ? ) to the '67 Vibrolux Reverb(Normal Ch, T2, B3.5) and '65 Twin Reverb(Normal Ch, T1, M7, B3)(in case of Fender, 1 is minimum). Program : Edge, Countour: 9~11 O'clock(9 is STD).
    (Sorry! several writes again for the database)

Results my test : Good Amp !!! , only one speaker(reference amps has two speakers presence sounds), solid state, compact.
    Enough Sounds !!! and Good Tightness and as a Record Sound.

Please decrease the Bass for your style and guitars and adj the Countour as you like positions.

Best regards

kawa
    Last edited by kawa; 04-15-2010 at 04:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Just bought one today 1998 min brute ii like Big Daddy pic above.

Have a few questions:

1.boost cut switch???

2. FX loop and overdrive...don't use. don't even know whats for?

3. High/low gain inputs...best of two??

Any advice on this amp would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Sailor

User Info Menu

1. Switch : Boost/Cut is (High)Boost/(High)Cut, In normaly for the Jazz Tone, set it the "Cut" positions.(please check the both sounds)
    2. FX Loop and Over Drive : For External Effector (Pedal Box etc) Out/In (To/From)
    3. High/Low Inputs : In normaly use the "High (impedance)Input" please check also the "Low(impedance)Input" sound, Jim hall like this sounds (He told).

Best regards.
    Last edited by kawa; 04-20-2010 at 07:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Hello I'm Guido from Italy
    I have found a Polytone mini brute II with Sonic eq .
    A second hand ampli but in very good condition 8 years old for about 500€ .
    By your opinion is a good cohice today for jazz and blues with Ibanez AF151 and Telecaster 1952 reissue ?

User Info Menu

I am probably the biggest polytone fan on this site, and I would advise against buying that one. First it's not the classic simple polytone circuit. Reliability will be an issue in the next few years, and There is a lot more to go wrong. I can't say how good the techs in your area are, so keep that in mind.

Second it's too expensive. If you're going to spend that much on one, I'll consider selling you the classic polytone minibrute II (12 with reverb). I have four polytones, my favorite jazz amp.

User Info Menu

I have found a Politone mini brute II 12 with reverb and sonic eq why you say it is not good ?
    What problem it has ? Why I need a good tech ? I know issue of reverb there are other issue that cause problem and repair ?
    Do you think 500€ too high ?
    I see that is the price for this amp in my area and friends guitarist say me it's ok if in good conditìon
    Bye

User Info Menu

500€ is not high for European average values. Old Polytones sound better than new ones, no doubt - they can be a little unreliable, both new and old. When I go to my amp tech there's always a Polytone there. For a little more, since you're in Europe, I would consider a Mambo.

User Info Menu

I heard something about Polytone problems.but what are this problems ?
    Reverb problem is no problem for me I use a pedal

User Info Menu

I've seen speaker problems, power amp problems, etc... but some go for a long time without any problems!

User Info Menu

I see a second hand Polytone mini brute II SONIC eq 8 years old but someone says this amps has a lot of issue and problem . What are this problem ? I know for reverb that is not important for me.
    What are the others problems ?