Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Herbie, one more to the Sommer team

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie

Stevie Ray Vaughan's tech brought once new cables for Stevie. He played a bit in a sound check and finally told the tech to buy cheaper sounding cables from a nearest music shop.

So even the cork sniffing varies!
    Yep -- I'm sure Stevie was used to the sound that the cheaper higher capacitance cables gave him. Same story as Hendrix, it shifted his pickups' sound giving a lower resonant peak than he would get with lower capacitance cables. Cool interview with Bill Lawrence here (Hendrix at 3.55):
    https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/bill-lawrence
    Last edited by wildschwein; 11-29-2015 at 07:25 PM.

User Info Menu

i keep going back and forth between just making some or buying some decent ones (mogami 2524 currently on sale at Colorful Weapon). my problem is that i need a lot of them-- two per amp, minimum, and one needs four (because i run some pedals into the effects loop). either way, the costs add up super, super fast. which is why i've been using crappy guitar center cheapos all this time.

and then there's the minor issue of me actually sitting down and making the stupid cables. i already gave up and ordered some patch cables. may as well give up on making them, too. but i like the idea of custom lengths and if a decent, premade one is at least $25-30 a pop (not even the fancy brands, mind you)... you see why the crappy ones look so inviting.

don't want to lead this astray with the capacitance/buffer talk, but i use an empress buffer plus that restored my signal that i was losing due to the length and crappiness of my cables. but it also has a knob to put some of that capacitance back to darken your signal, if you prefer. i know some folks prefer that, and that's why they still make super long cables and coily ones, too. i know that was a thing way back when to tame some highs, especially when guys were playing super bright strats into walls of marshalls and fenders.