The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Hello everyone

I just try the ZT lunchbox. its a nice amp, very strong for such small size.

I cant find anywhere a DV mark to have a test , so i just read some old posts in the forum.
    It looks very good and jazzy amp... but i'm not sure how strong the fan noise is.

Rolland cube its ok for the money,,

So...which one you think its better amp for practicing with a good tone ( hollow guitars )

DV Mark Litle Jazz, ZT Lunchbox or Rolland Cube 40 ?

Thanks for your time
    Last edited by jkstigma; 11-26-2015 at 02:19 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My impression of the lunchbox was that it was very boxy sounding to me. I had the same issue with the Henriksen bud. I don't know the DV but if it has a fan, that's a non starter for me. Cube is a safe bet or I'm a Quilter fanboy.

User Info Menu

ZT Lunchbox is my main amp. It might be too loud for practicing though. I'm not sure if it sounds boxy, I've never heard such complaints on the gigs, but people always comment how good it cutting through the mix. Nowdays I use Sansamp Para Driver DI pedal with it (and a reverb of course), and I can make it sound good with any guitar on any type of gig. That way it doesn't sound too middy.

User Info Menu

For just practicing, I find the ZT Lunchbox Jr. to be more really good. I also have a regular Lunchbox, but for practice I find it's overkill.

User Info Menu

I m in the same search, what about the fender rumble for jazz guitar, anybody has the chance to try it?

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    For just practicing, I find the ZT Lunchbox Jr. to be more really good. I also have a regular Lunchbox, but for practice I find it's overkill.
    i don't think i am going to have problem with lunchbox's volume, 'cause i usually practice with the guitar volume pot at ..6 max 7...

the Roland Cube 60 isn't strictly a solid state amp ithink
    It's a digital modeling amp isn't it ?

User Info Menu

I have the DV Mark 'little jazz', which I have to say sounded excellent with a fender telecaster, but now I have a Cort Source going through it.. Just creamy..... So happy.

A socket for headphones and output to cab cover all the bases for me. Downside is that the cooling fan is noticeable in a silent room but that's forgotten about with the tone.

The music shop guy told me someone who had one managed to fit an on/off switch for the fan. Off for recording, on for gigging. I guess you don't need it when it's not working hard. Might get the same done but only when the warranty runs out as it will void it.

Can't compare with the Lunchbox but STREETS ahead of the cube.

User Info Menu

Peavey Envoy. Solid state, 40 watts. The 1x10" is great for practice levels. The clean channel is great with three amp settings. Classic, Fender Twin, to warm tweed.

User Info Menu

For strictly practice, I like the battery powered micro cube.

User Info Menu

Lunchbox Junior is only $149 US at Musician's Friend, so that might be a good choice.

User Info Menu

+1 on the Lunchbox Jr. I use it with my Guild Savoy and Eastman El Rey and it sounds warm and jazzy with the gain set to ~ 9:00 max. Not as tonally versatile as the other recommendations with modelling options though, but for my playing it sounds great and lets me focus on my practicing.

User Info Menu

Hi, any other experiences and opinions about this comparison?

I have a Guild Savoy archtop (with DeArmond® 1000 pickup) and I'm looking for a small amp to make it sound good. I'm planning to just play at home or eventually small environments with other people (hopefully, when my skills will build up and I'll find fellow musicians...). Playing in a gig isn't even remotely possible right now and for the next, let's say, immediate years

My current options are DV Mark Little jazz and ZT Lunchbox, both the standard and the junior (here I'm not considering the Roland). Unfortunately I don't have a chance to try them so my only thoughts are based on tech specs and price. So far this are my considerations:

- ZT Lunchbox junior wins for smallest size and smallest price - I heard some very good sound samples, I'm just afraid it won't be powerful enough for a bigger environment (but: will I need it?) and it doesn't have a speaker out. It also doesn't have an internal reverb, so in case I would need an external one.

- DV Little Jazz has an almost comparable price (just a little bit higher), has the biggest size and weight of the trio but also the biggest cone. It is definitely more powerful than the Junior (I read of several people even using it in gigs) and it seems to be especially designed for jazz. It has well made controls and a speaker out. Only known (to me) issue: a sometimes noisy fan.

- ZT Lunchbox is the most expensive one and, apparently, also the most powerful one (even if I sometimes saw it sounds described as "boxy"), even able to cover a gig (but again: will I need it?). Nice size (smaller and lighter than the DV), good controls and speaker out.

Recap: so far and with just these elements (and no real-life test to HEAR them), my choice would be for the Little Jazz: bigger than I would like for my home (the ZT Junior is amazingly small) but in any other compartment the most convenient choice and also a good investment for the future.

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

I must admit to being a little perplexed by all the Lunchbox love. I had one for about three days. I couldn't stand the sound. "Boxy" doesn't even begin to cover it. Sounded like I was playing through a parked wah pedal.

User Info Menu

Having played through all of those amps - the Little Jazz (in my opinion) is by far the best sounding.

If you get a newer one the fan issue is resolved. I've never heard the fan run on mine.
    You can easily gig with it - I've done some fairly noisy gigs and mine was loud enough.

The 'spread' of the 8'' speaker is remarkable - it really fills the room and seems to be far less directional than a 1x12'' for example.

My only criticism of this amp is that it's quite dark sounding. Even with the treble dimed it's not overly bright.
    If you have a guitar with very dark pickups for example, things may get a bit muddy.

User Info Menu

I had the zt (lunchbox) and a savoy(lovely box) i hate the treble in those amps very harsh, go for the italian and take the cannoli!

User Info Menu

I have no experience with any of those amps except the Little Jazz, so I can't comment on the others. But the Little Jazz is an excellent amp, and it's all I take out. I have a Raezer's Edge Stealth 12 and both an AI Clarus and a GK MB200, but I don't bother to take those out, because the Little Jazz sounds just about as good and is much more transportable. It's loud enough for jazz gigs, and loud enough for loud blues jams. I don't tend to use it for home practice, because I already have the RE/AI/GK setup ready, and they sound marginally better there. In a band situation, I can't hear any difference. I've used the Little Jazz with a tele clone, Benedetto, Eastman, 18" Wu archtop, an Epi ES175, and a '53 Epi, and it sounds good with all of them. It's one of the best gear investments I've made.

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot! Think I'll go for the Little Jazz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopher
    I have the DV Mark 'little jazz', which I have to say sounded excellent with a fender telecaster, but now I have a Cort Source going through it.. Just creamy..... So happy.

A socket for headphones and output to cab cover all the bases for me. Downside is that the cooling fan is noticeable in a silent room but that's forgotten about with the tone.

The music shop guy told me someone who had one managed to fit an on/off switch for the fan. Off for recording, on for gigging. I guess you don't need it when it's not working hard. Might get the same done but only when the warranty runs out as it will void it.

Can't compare with the Lunchbox but STREETS ahead of the cube.
    Can i ask how it is streets ahead of the cube? posts like this make me want to sell my cube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    I must admit to being a little perplexed by all the Lunchbox love. I had one for about three days. I couldn't stand the sound. "Boxy" doesn't even begin to cover it. Sounded like I was playing through a parked wah pedal.
    My experience with my Lunchbox is the same as Boston Joe's.

User Info Menu

Put a reverb pedal in front of a lunchbox to open it up.

I've played gigs in a 600 seat theater with a lunchbox. And sounded great. It's a real tool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Put a reverb pedal in front of a lunchbox to open it up.

I've played gigs in a 600 seat theater with a lunchbox. And sounded great. It's a real tool.
    the Lunchbox was miked into the PA i guess?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flush
    the Lunchbox was miked into the PA i guess?
    Nope.

User Info Menu

I own the Roland and the ZT Lunchbox, and play at a studio every week with a DV Mark. I like the DV Mark the best, pretty impressive, then maybe the roland for all the bells and whistles on it. I love the ZT lunchbox too. Depends on what you want, but for quality of sound with an archtop i would go dv mark. If small size is important lunchbox, and for covering many sounds roland.

May be gas, but the DV Mark did make an impression, lovely sound (plus the overdrive on the little 2 channel head they have is great!). Haven't gigged it though, so no opinions on how it behaves loudly, the other two i use on gigs from time to time.

User Info Menu

My experience is the same as Boston Joe's. Not just the sound of the LB, but also being perplexed by how much more other players like it.

I originally bought it after seeing videos of Reg Schwager and Joe Giglio (separate, not together) using the LB on gigs. Joe used a little Zoom unit in front of it, so I bought that too.

Seasons Guitar Quartet toured with an LB each -- Julian Lage, Chico Pinheiro, Larry Koonse and Anthony Wilson (each used some kind of box in front to process the sound).

Clearly, some great players have used it.

But, I couldn't get anything out of it I liked. Not with the Zoom PX5D (I think) or my ME80. I tried different kinds of reverb, different EQ, everything I could think of.

The only successful experience I've had with it is with a drummer who couldn't hear me on stage. I ran a line from my pedalboard to the LB and gave it to the drummer. He was happy. So was I -- it was easy to carry in to the gig and I didn't have to listen to it.

Disclosure: I tried it with solids and semis, never a full body archtop.

User Info Menu

dangit i really want a DV mark combo or a Lunchbox stack for the portability and better tone, but i'm worried they wouldn't be loud enough for heavy fusion like my cube 80watt