• D'Angelico EXL-1

33 76.74%
  • Peerless Manhattan

10 23.26%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

I am sorry if this question has been asked a million times before, but I wanted to gather opinions on exclusively these two guitar models. I have an opportunity right now to buy one of these two guitars (with the D'angelico costing ~$100 more), and would love to get some insight. Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing your guys thoughts!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

D'Angelico: D'Angelico EXL-1 vs Peerless Manhattan-00b0b_amfvdgr5bdz_600x450-jpg

Peerless: D'Angelico EXL-1 vs Peerless Manhattan-01616_h4kwmoje6wz_600x450-jpg

User Info Menu

For myself, body depth is a big consideration. Are they both the same scale? Some people have a negative thing about scarf-joint necks (Peerless). Not sure about that. If all other aspects were very similar, I would choose the one that is slightly thinner in body depth, for long term comfort. JMP

You make a great point...the specs are below:

D'Angelico features:

- Single cutaway shape

- Full Hollow body

- Laminated spruce top

- Laminated flamed maple back

- 17-1/2" width, 3" depth

- Floating Humbucker

- 1 volume / 1 tone controls

- 7-ply binding

- Stair-step pick-guard

- Satin stain rosewood bridge

- D'Angelico stair-step tailpiece

- Gold-plated hardware

- Grover Super Rotomatic tuners

- 1-11/16" nut width

- Neck: Hard maple 2-pcs. walnut center

- 25.5" scale

- Mother-of-pearl inlay

- Includes deluxe hard shell case

- Vintage Sunburst Finish

Peerless:

•Body Style: ARCHTOP CUTAWAY
    •Top: LAMINATED SPRUCE
    •Back and Sides: LAMINATED FLAME MAPLE
    •Neck: MAPLE
    •Neck Scale: 24.6" (625mm)
    •Body Depth: 2.96" (75mm)
    •Body Width: 17.13" (435mm)
    •Fingerboard: EBONY

User Info Menu

The scale length is a major difference - 24.6" on the Peerless, and 25.5" on the D'A. Otherwise the bout width and depth are nominally the same. Personally, I see the D'A as a classier looking instrument, but ultimately the feel and tone of both guitars should be considered directly. If you can't do that, then go by looks.

I have owned two different EXL-1DP guitars and two EXL-1SH guitars, all from the older Korean stock circa 2006. I still own an SH, and it plays and sounds great.

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong either way.

User Info Menu

Roger,
    Was one of your previous EXL-1DP's Transparent black with a Certificate of Authenticity signed by Bill Comins?

I would buy one that plays better. If you cant play them, then I'd buy the cheaper one. Neither one has anything over the other. They are both nice guitars. I can tell you from experience, the pickup on the DA clone probably sucks. Its probably Very weak and prone to static in a dry environment. However the guitar probably plays like a son of gun. I had one and I liked it a lot. The Peerless I had was an Epiphone Emperor Regent which would have been very nice had it not been for a warped neck. But it was nice. Surprisingly, Very acoustic.

My point, its not worth overthinking it. You cant go wrong with either one. Just buy one, play the crap out of it and tell us about your experience!

JD

User Info Menu

For me and my massive hands it's long scale all the way.

Had my budget been big enough I would have bought the D'A.

User Info Menu

I've yet to play a D'Angelico I did not like, I just wish THEY WOULD STOP STOP CHANGING MODEL NUMBERS! :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Roger,
    Was one of your previous EXL-1DP's Transparent black with a Certificate of Authenticity signed by Bill Comins?
    No, Joe - I had a natural one from the original "limited" series of 200, and a wine red one from later on. The two SH's were amber (actually the ugly caramel yellow so common in Asian guitars).

User Info Menu

They are both low to mid-priced asian guitars. Probably decent, may suck or may be outstanding, but whether they do is dependent on the particular guitar, not the manufacturer or model. Can't tell without trying.

If the specs draw you to one or the other, go with that. If you don't know which specs you have a preference for, as regards how the specs influence the feel and the sound of the guitar, then go ahead and buy them both.

Might as well get it out of the way, cause if you don't know what you like going in, you will eventually, as I know I have done, go through many guitars (same with amps), before learning what it is that you like.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am going to go the D'Angelico route (testing it out tonight with intention of buying). Any other input I welcome, and will let you know what I think once I try it out.

User Info Menu

Scale length would be determining factor for me, definitely prefer the longer scale on big jazz boxes. Joe D mentioned the pickup but that can be fixed ... and you get to go pickup shopping!

User Info Menu

I voted for the D'A, mostly because I personally prefer 25-1/2" scale, but it's a prettier box too.

User Info Menu

They are both excellent with the D’A channeling a D’Angelico vibe while the Peerless is going after the D’Aquisto vibe. Both are good value in a laminate with good acoustic resonance for what they are. Very similar to the Korean Epiphone Emperor Regents.

I have 2 of the D’A EXL-1 and by no means does the pickup “suck”. What sucks is the way the pickguard is mashed down (likely due to packing and shipping across the sea). As the pickup is a pickguard-mounted floater, the height of the pickguard makes a huge difference in the pickup output. It’s an easy matter to remove the mounting bracket and bend it but it’s dumb that they come this way. A better pickup may be a great upgrade, but the stock one doesn’t suck. This pickguard issue and oddly aligned tuners are 2 QC issues I have heard and seen. Neither should dissuade you.

As others have said, both the D’A and Peerless are awesome low to mid-level options. It comes down to scale length and cosmetics—do you want a D’Angelico-looking or D’Aquisto-looking guitar. Good luck and report back!

Roli

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    For me and my massive hands it's long scale all the way...
    Even with short stubby fingers I prefer the longer scale.

User Info Menu

The D'A because I like the 25.5 scale
    Otherwise inexpensive Asian laminated guitars

User Info Menu

I can only speak to the looks, fwiw. I think the Pearless is really clean looking. The DA is a bit gaudy for my tastes.

No fret markers, the clean finish, the shape of the pickgaurd, the tail piece, they all fit together to my eye.