Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 90

User Info Menu

I'm just curious but how old are you?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J Edwards
    In the '50's an ES-175 was $175 bucks. Thats why it was so popular. It was cheap!

In 1955 the average income was 4,200 bucks.

So $175 is .042 of the average income.

Todays average income is like 60 k and .042 of 60k is 2520 bucks.

Hmmm we are in the same ballpark here.
    Not over priced at all.
    Are you sure the average income is 60K by year ???

Where do you live ? I think its like 30k in montreal

Just checked, the average income for individuals in canada is 28,5k in 2006
    Last edited by ZzaJMarc; 05-29-2009 at 10:20 PM.

User Info Menu

2004 mean income for US residents was $60,528 in 2004

User Info Menu

are you sure its not by famillies ? (household average)
    Last edited by ZzaJMarc; 05-29-2009 at 11:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sphereacidburn
    I set this forum to hear your views not for you to tell me that it sounds like I am defending the ES-175 I just wanted to know Pros and Cons on each Guitar OKAY
    I knew that is what you were getting at
    I think this subject has been beaten into the ground.
    RIP

User Info Menu

Dont know on that one zzajmarc, might be tho

User Info Menu

I have never played a Gibson that sucked as bad as what some guys describe here.
    Not that it's not true just have not seen it.
    When I am ready to spend the cash I will definately check it out closely.

User Info Menu

I was checking out the Eastman web site and saw the Pagelli models:

Wow! Jazz boxes tend to be very conservative, say, compared to some rock guitars which look like they were designed after a bad acid trip

No idea how it sounds, but that is the coolest looking jazz box.

User Info Menu

No experience w/ Eastman guitars but I have one of their mandolins and it is dynamite, especially for the price. I was once told to buy a guitar by playing the ones you are interested in blindfolded. You might be pleasantly suprised at what your hands and ears tell you. For me that has been used Guilds. X-700, X170 and an X-500 just because. Interesting thing is that one is carved top(x-700) the 500 is a lam spruce formed top and the 170 is maple ply. All different but each is nice in it's own way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I was checking out the Eastman web site and saw the Pagelli models:

Wow! Jazz boxes tend to be very conservative, say, compared to some rock guitars which look like they were designed after a bad acid trip

No idea how it sounds, but that is the coolest looking jazz box.
    I played this guitar a couple of months ago. Smallish, and I thought it would be thin sounding. I was very surprised by the full sound it had. Sounded great plugged in also.

Very woody and open sounding, and as you point out, way cool design.

Back to the topic of Gibsons. I find it fascinating how people react to negative experiences about a brand that has such a foothold in American culture. Kinda like Harleys. For a significant period of time, there were without a doubt, the worst bikes made. You could certainly argue that fact now, though they are much better than they were.

However, if you walked into a biker bar here and proclaimed that "Harleys suck", you probably wouldn't make it out alive. Seems the same with Gibson. It is too bad, but frankly they have done it to themselves. Most of us here want to like Gibson, but when they consistently put inferior product out for a premium price, they shoot themselves in the foot.

Here's to hoping Gibson turns it around and regains the respect they used to have.

User Info Menu

Interesting analogy. I used to work on Harleys for a living( service manager in a Harley dealership) and I can tell you that the new ones are vastly different than the ones in my day. Harley's problem was that they thought everything was as good as it needed to be and no reason to change (sounds Gibsonish to me). They also had partial ownership by another corporation (AMF) just as Gibson and Fender did during some of their worst periods. Having too many bosses never seems to be good for the creative process and just results in fingerpointing when something isn't working. Personally I think technology has been great for the guitar industry. You can get Martins in almost any great old time configuration you could want. Same with Fenders. The necks are available in any shape you could want and finding the perfect shape is not just a trial and error thing, you just pick the model that has what you like. I have a new 50s fat neck Les Paul Std. that feels and sounds great. Maybe some of that will filter down to the classic jazz boxes if the demand is high enough.

User Info Menu

I have had 3 ES guitars recently and many more in past years. I love 'em...but I still have not found one that has it all. There were either fit/finish or tone issues. I'm sure there is one out here for me but in my rural area there are limited opportunities to try them out. On the other hand. My thinline Ibanez ArtCore Custom AS103NT was dead perfect right out of the box as was my Eastman AR805CE. The only reason I traded the
    805 was because I prefer a built-in pickup. I'd love to have a good ES-175 but I am more confident buying sight unseen that the Eastman AR803CE I ordered will give the tone and playability I want. It arrives tomorrow...can't wait.
    Last edited by jazzrat; 07-05-2009 at 07:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Jazzrat tell me how you like your Eastman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Maybe your question should be: modern-style-solid-wood-floating-pickup vs ES175-laminated-Humbucker-workhorse-style guitar?

Very different beasts imho.

Although they are both fine jazzguitars they are very different beasts.

Well, it all comes down to what notes you play anyway....
    Yes, I agree that Eastmans and the Gibson ES175 are very different and hard to compare because so. Even if you get a humbucker equipped Eastman, the tops are different.

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    I do wish Eastman would consider making laminate guitars, I know that is more of a stretch from handmade carved string instruments which is basically their thing, but some laminates would really round out their lineup.
    I would love to see an Eastman laminate top archtop.

I've owned an Eastman 805ce and an El Rey. The 805ce was beautiful and acoustically sounded terrific and loud. Played electrically, it would feedback pretty easily. It's for the low volume electric or acoustic situations. The El Rey is a small bodied, hollow body with no f-holes. It sounds bigger than its size and is pretty versatile for jazz, blues, or even rock.

In the end I prefer a laminate top, humbucker equipped guitar. That fits my playing situations and uses better. I don't find larger 17" bodies comfortable but I do like 15-16" ones. The one I've settle on is 15.75", the Ibanez AK105.

User Info Menu

Ok I said VS not or I want want the PROS AND THE CONS not you guys telling me they are different I know they are different that is why I want want to know the Pros and they Cons of a Eastman or a Gibson Laminate

User Info Menu

I have to take back what I said about the Eastman Pagelli models being the coolest archtop I've seen:

Apart from the obvious () I like the ergonomic scale length that goes from 24.5" to 26" on the bass string, cuz I can never decide on my preferred scale length.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I have to take back what I said about the Eastman Pagelli models being the coolest archtop I've seen:

Apart from the obvious () I like the ergonomic scale length that goes from 24.5" to 26" on the bass string, cuz I can never decide on my preferred scale length.
    A regular on The Gear Page owns one of these. I agree, has to be one of the coolest (Teuffel Tesla & Niwa also) I have ever seen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blair
    2004 mean income for US residents was $60,528 in 2004
    This is misleading. The 2004 Mean income of US HOUSEHOLD was
    $60,528 , not individual income.

Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

User Info Menu

Eastman is now making two laminate guitars, the AR371CE (1 neck humbucker) and AR371CE-2 or AR372CE (same), both modeled after ES175. They are great. I a/b'd several 175's and 175 style guitars in a music store that specializes in archtops, and the Eastman's smoked them all in playability (which I admit, can be easily fixed), feel, tone, etc. They have a 1-3/4" nut, which I love.
    I just got a 372 a couple of weeks ago and can HIGHLY recommend it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Swingcat
    Eastman is now making two laminate guitars, the AR371CE (1 neck humbucker) and AR371CE-2 or AR372CE (same), both modeled after ES175. They are great. I a/b'd several 175's and 175 style guitars in a music store that specializes in archtops, and the Eastman's smoked them all in playability (which I admit, can be easily fixed), feel, tone, etc. They have a 1-3/4" nut, which I love.
    Totally agreed. I've performed the same experiment a several times with the same conclusion. No contest, IMO.
    I was waiting to come across a non-greenburst 371 around here (and finally found one recently), but I've since decided to wait for the new laminate Pisano AR-380 due out around year's end (I hope).
    All the best to you with your 372. Great guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Swingcat
    Don't forget about the great AR403 which is also a laminate.

User Info Menu

Hi, a nervous tread in here...I had the same dilemma on choices recently. I tried out an Eastman A371 vs a Peerless Gigmaster Jazz - as ES175 lookalikes (albeit the Eastman was a neck p/u only). It's such a personal thing. I personally preferred the Peerless over the Eastman, much of it on looks and feel. Also, I much preferred the sound of the Peerless.

I then ordered a Peerless in Ruby Red. Lovely instrument but it had finish quality issues that were acknowledged by both shop and UK distributor. My only real criticism (other than the obvious, hopefully one-off, finish issues) was that the fret finish was a bit rough and the intonation setup was poor. Intonation correction would be an easy one. Fret finish - well, here, I am comparing it with my PRS and high-end Ibanez (JEM) solid bodies; both instruments that cost 3-4 times the cost of the Peerless, so a little unfair.

Well, I would have happily had a replacement Peerless BUT a 2010 Custom Shop ES175 came up, second hand, at a price I could afford and in the Wine Red finish I liked. I tried it out and decided to jump for the ES-175 and I am very happy with the final choice.

Yes, I agree, you ARE paying for the name on the headstock but it clearly is a higher quality instrument. But so it should be for the price. That said, I don't think it is in quite the same quality league as my PRS, although a similar price. But it is nonetheless, a lovely instrument. You get what you pay for, but probably in the case of the Peerless and the Eastman, you get quite a lot for what you pay for. I got lots of useful and friendly advice in this forum on this dilemma and it helped. My only advice would be, if possible, track them down and try them. Of course, this is going to be pretty hard - I was lucky to be able to compare the Peerless with the Eastman in the same shop at the same time. One tip - I used headphones and an iPad (with Line 6 Mobile in) so I wasn't thrown by different amplifiers. This did actually help when I later tried out the ES-175. Good luck! David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dh82c
    Eastmans are a great sounding, playing, (and to some) looking guitar. Having said that.. I find the Eastmans more of an acoustically rich beast. A 175.. not so much (and that is part of their charms.. they are more of an electric instrument). For the money I find the Eastmans a little overpriced but if you find one used... grab it!
    I concur with this. I have both a 1974 Gibson ES-175 and a Eastman AR605CE. Both totally different animals. The 175 is basically an electric guitar. Acoustically not so rich, but the character comes out nicely when amplified. Also laminate top, so pretty resistant to feedback.

The Eastman has a carved top with a floater and sounds great acoustically. When amplified it feedbacks very easy.

The Eastman 371 (the 175 clone) is much more like the Gibson, but I've found that all those type of guitars are slightly different. I've played some that I liked better then some Gibsons and some that I liked less than some Gibsons. That said, I do think the Eastmans are more consistent than the Gibsons.

User Info Menu

In my experience Gibsons vary a lot... I tried some pos-2000 that were excellent others that were quite lame... And even for the excellent I would hardly pay full retail price. Funny enough I was in NY recently, tried a lot of Eastman guitars, and did not like them... weird.

For the price of a new ES-175 (4000$ if I checked correctly) I would check Sadowsky or Collings for sure. Or the used market for a Guild or something like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dslee
    One tip - I used headphones and an iPad (with Line 6 Mobile in) so I wasn't thrown by different amplifiers. This did actually help when I later tried out the ES-175. Good luck! David

I wish I'd thought of that. That is a good tip