The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

A third pot could be added and wired in place of DeArmond’s “rhythm switch,” making it a bass control. I have an old Framus guitar with a bass control wired much like that, and it works pretty well. When set to 10 the cap is shorted, so it only affects the tone when turned down. I’m really tempted to try that on my RC1100. The third pot could be a Shatten T2, cut in half. They are designed for that.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The pickup on my Trenier Jazz Special is a KA Single coil and it does compare very nicely to the original RC1100 (had that on a '62 Super-400, now gone). The tap is wired to a mini sliding switch under the guard and gives me a thinned-out rhythm tone, very useful. That second tone is not a whole lot quieter than full on but it thins out the tone enough for an airier strumming sound. So far the best alternative yet for an "unobtainium" original RC1000.... hope that helps !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    The pickup on my Trenier Jazz Special is a KA Single coil and it does compare very nicely to the original RC1100 (had that on a '62 Super-400, now gone). The tap is wired to a mini sliding switch under the guard and gives me a thinned-out rhythm tone, very useful. That second tone is not a whole lot quieter than full on but it thins out the tone enough for an airier strumming sound. So far the best alternative yet for an "unobtainium" original RC1000.... hope that helps !
    I got Kent to make me his version of the RC-1100 sound that Burrell and Johnny Smith got out of their D'As, for my Borys B-222, and I'm also very happy with this single coil wonder.

User Info Menu

I bought it last week and I did a sound test here with my little L48 Gibson (1964)

User Info Menu

I have the Korean guild A150 with the 1000 version and while I found the balance pretty good, I noticed the metal tab, under the pick guard has a bit of play, which I compensated for, by replacing the felt, with a strip of foam, which raises the pickup, closer to the high E string. to my ear, it seems the E string stands out better. perhaps adding another layer of felt, would accomplish this as well, if you'd rather not use foam.