Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 234

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar, BigMike!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    What makes 50’s era L5s so pricey, beside the fine woods they used ?? Even the one I just bought, a Refinished ‘56 CESN with staple P90s was high for what it is. Seriously does the year matter that much. Check out listings on Reverb fellas.
    It matters bigtime. Most post-war L-5CES guitars (Venetian cutaways, single-coil pickups, then PAF humbucking pickups) are built quite differently from most typical '60s L-5CES guitars (smaller necks, Florentine cutaways, laminated backs, later pickups), which are built quite differently from most '70s L-5CES guitars, which began an evolution to heavier guitars with less acoustic resonance, higher feedback resistance, less recarve, etceteras. The visual continuity of most L-5 features since WWII masks significant differences in the way that they were built and how they perform. As well, the market for '50's P-90s and PAF pickups can lift the prices of the instruments that have them by thousands of dollars.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-18-2020 at 10:31 PM.

User Info Menu

BAH! Who needs a cutaway and pickups on an L5? Not on Eddie's "music box!"

User Info Menu

The Venerable Gibson L-5-ac32ae55-f5bd-4046-9a0e-429425c1f289-jpegThe Venerable Gibson L-5-47577a2b-0e52-44a0-92ad-caf1625a42df-jpegBefore the much needed restoration work

User Info Menu

That aged lacquer gets me every time!

User Info Menu

I hear ya Mark M

being a ‘56 it’s in that transition period before humbuckers took over and they went from acoustic archtops to more electrified heavier builds. In hand it’s really very light and has a beefier neck, but very ok and the wood is quite nice. All I need is the harness installed and do an endpoint jack. Waiting on a WesMo tailpiece (thanks FWS6) and ‘60s NOS Grover Imperials.
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 04-18-2020 at 11:44 PM.

User Info Menu

middle position sounds pretty good

Keb' Mo' - Mo' At Home - Dangerous Mood | Facebook

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    middle position sounds pretty good

Keb' Mo' - Mo' At Home - Dangerous Mood | Facebook

Very nice! Love this song and it sounds great. Must be the first time I've seen someone use a capo on an L5.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Thanks Hammertone...
    I admit that i didnt play many 50's L-5 CES models, only a 59 that was 20000$ listed, and wasnt really impressed, also somo middle sixtties laminated back that i didnt like specially.
    I was blown away by a L5c 1967 converted into Wesmo: the acoustic sound was not impressively loud at all.. But the amplified tone was really amazing sweet and opened... Time?
    Maybe i still dont know enough yet, but amplified tone wise, the L-5 Ces or Wes sound very well in all eras.

Enviado desde mi LG-H870 mediante Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Big, why not put the correct parts on it?

User Info Menu

I think the high e tuners got issues, the tuners coming are NOS just like what’s on there now. I prefer function over failing original parts
    i love playing it.

You staying safe ??? I almost called you to shoot the breeze on this one. I never forget how helpful you were in 2016 when I scored my ‘39P...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    They're all different.
    Sorry if this ruffles some feathers but I think a signature on a label is highly overrated.
    Hutchins labels, Crimson labels, etc. are pure marketing BS. They are simply some very nice Gibson guitar models built by the Gibson Custom Shop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    1999 Gibson L-5 Wes Montgomery

Asking: USD5895. Joe ships anywhere...

NB Some normal playwear includes a few pick marks near the guard and some scattered nicks here and there, with a short, non-structural hairline crack in the side near the tailpiece, now soundly resealed.
    His price is spot on for this L-5 WesMo from the golden Hutchins years. Even if they aren't signed by Hutchins, he oversaw their construction. I know from past experience that Joe Vinikow at archtop.com: Fine Vintage Instruments Online is great to work with. I doubt he will have this guitar for very long as it is a popular model that holds it's value.

Good luck with your search!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I don't post much around here lately but i got this dot you might dig. like, the actual holy grail. i also figured since we're about to enter a great depression, I'd write some 30s style chord melody. here's an arrangement of a tune by a great artist from NY named Vilray. Check out his page here.

Last edited by omphalopsychos; 04-23-2020 at 02:45 PM.

User Info Menu

The Venerable Gibson L-5-img_4014-jpgThe Venerable Gibson L-5-60713597087__7d53df06-21f7-4809-9ca4-c6b92578558d-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Gorgeous, and sounds superb. You can hear every note in every chord. Beautiful tune and arrangement too!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous guitar. INDEED !!!

User Info Menu

That's the holy grail indeed! The dot neck fingerboard is so elegant looking.
    It sounds wonderful, beautiful playing too!

User Info Menu

BTW.... I think you owe us a little back-story on this one. Year, what strings, where dj'ya get it and so on. Please?!

User Info Menu

About 2 years ago a german colleague (from Berlin I think) snapped up a refinished Dot-Neck L-5 just like this one that sat on Reverb for at least 6 months ... paid something like 12 grand for it IIRC . That guitar was MINT and except for the new finish 100% original and just so sweet and lovely to look at ..... Oh well, he's a pro player and the guitar is working so all is good !
    I had the chance to play one of these many years ago at the Mandolin Bros. Store on Staten Island/NY and that particular instrument was mediocre if not just plain boring and un-inspiring. The bad set-up (VERY high action, bad intonation, etc) didn't help. Showed me once again that lemons have no particular season

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    BTW.... I think you owe us a little back-story on this one. Year, what strings, where dj'ya get it and so on. Please?!

Gibson L-5 Acoustic Archtop Guitar, Vintage 1928 | om28.com

Belonged to Tony Oliver and has a book of duets written by him. I'm gonna record some once i can actually play with buds again post quarantine.

Strings: TI Benson flatwounds. .... Just kidding. Probably gave someone a heart attack w that one. I've been using the same strings on acoustics for years since Rob M turned me on to them: Philippe Bosset 80/20. I use a light gauge set and replace the trebles with 13/17. Sometimes I feel like phosphor bronze, Philippe Bosset is my go-to for those also.

User Info Menu

Sounds great!

The pictures look marvelous. I have never seen a guitar that age in that good a condition, and that includes at some of the finer guitar museums across the country.

A great find for sure!
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 04-25-2020 at 03:03 PM.

User Info Menu

I keep returning to this thread, Juan. Seriously great guitar, and you play it so beautifully. I've subscribed to your YT channel, so I can hear more of it - just in case you don't share stuff here in the future. Keep at it!

User Info Menu

A 1956, owned by the cousin of the seller since 1960. IN those years the kid played the hell out of it, the pickguard outgassed, he had a lousy refret and input jack Repsir done and laid down a coat of shellac. Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
    nightmare on Elm Street

Enter the seller Frank he bought it, took it a cat named Paulie in north Jersey who cleaned it up, refretted it, refinished it in a couple thin coats of nitro and made a new pickguard. The guy is an artist.

Being a 1956 it’s a old style more acoustic Archtop. I’ve got everything for it: staple P90s, original harness, everything. It just needs the harnessreinstalled. With this shelter in place stuff I’ve been playing it a lot, it’s loud and sweet.

so here a shot of her before the restore - next post is photos of the guitar here and ad shots.

The Venerable Gibson L-5-1956-gibson-l-5-jpeg

The Venerable Gibson L-5-1956-gibson-l-5b-jpeg