The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 107

User Info Menu

Some of you may remember, Several months ago, I bought one of Vinny's Tal Farlows. UPS broke the headstock during shipping and refused to pay the insurance claim. Vinny "The Tiger", and his never say die attitude took them to court and after some ups and downs, won his court battle.
    In the end it worked for me and my friend Vinny and thankfully that is all behind us. I am not one for naming guitars. But, we decided our poor baby needed a name. We called her, Booboo.

Getting Booboo fixed..

My plan was to meet Patrick Amato (Patrick2) at Pastore Music in Union City, NJ on August, 18 so we could hand the damaged Guitar to Ronaldo Orlandoni. The night before, Patrick called me and told me he couldn't make it. Instead, he wanted to come with me when I picked up Booboo. Then tragically, early on the 18th, Patrick passed away. Ronaldo loved Patrick. He told me Patrick would come to visit Him at least once a month for the last 45 years. Ronaldo told me that he still doesn't feel like Patrick is gone. He expects Patrick to walk into the shop at any time. In a strange way, it felt like Patrick was with us the day I picked up Booboo.

It took a little more than 2 months to complete the repair. When Ronaldo opened the case, I was amazed by the beauty of this guitar. He pointed to the spot of the repair and I swear he called Gibson and had them send him a new neck for him to install. You cannot tell the neck was ever broken. Only if you use hi intensity LEDs you can see faint black brush strokes above the stinger under the nitro. The master took his time gluing the neck, then sanding it, then blending the color tone. The stinger, which was severed in half is now perfectly, yet faintly visible through the reddish black/brown into yellow burst under perfectly applied nitro cellulose lacquer. I swear to you guys, I didn’t think it was possible but the neck repair is totally invisible. This can only be achieved by the hands of a master who by his own account has done more than 400 such repairs. My guess is he's done many, many more. There were 4 such repairs in his one man shop during the time Booboo was there. All Gibsons...

Now that Booboo is fixed, how does she play? Early on, Vinny told me, wait until you play a Tal. You will wonder why they are not the most popular guitar in the lineup. He was right. The guitar plays itself. It has the first class playability and amplified sound of an L5, with the added comfort of a slightly shallower body. Guys, this could very well be the best guitar I've ever played. I have it setup with insanely low action, with no buzz anywhere. This is a guitar made to be amplified. It is a classy, full sounding, daring departure from the usual archtop designs. I love the pickguard. The dimensions are perfect. 17" Lower bout, 3" deep. 25-1/2 scale, 1-11/16 wide at the nut. The inlayed swirl in the lower cutaway makes this guitar one of the more uniquely attractve archtops I've seen. Multi-layer bindings throughout, bound F-holes with a bound headstock. The figure on the top and back is not the perfect straight across "10 top" variety. Instead, it looks more like a beautiful cloud formation at sunset. The sides are quilted perfectly tying everything together. The full but comfortable 5 piece tiger flame neck makes you think that you were mistakenly sent the neck that was intended for gods guitar. Looking down at it while your playing makes you feel fortunate and it demands that you step up your playing a notch to deserve such an indulgence.
    Guys, if you haven't already done so, spend a couple of days with one of these masterpieces. You will soon understand what the Gibson name on the headstock really stands for. It's the original. The benchmark. An instrument that pampers its owner with first class feel, sound, elegance and the sensation that it can't possibly get any better. This Gibson Tal Farlow is an extraordinary guitar.

Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Tal Farlow-image-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here are pics of the headstock repair.
    A special video will follow tomorrow..
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Tal Farlow-image-jpg Gibson Tal Farlow-image-jpg Gibson Tal Farlow-image-jpg 

User Info Menu

like tal..like the tal guitar..like that you fixed it..like that a master repaired it..and like that you are diggin it...

win win

tho ups is scary!

enjoy

cheers

ps-

Gibson Tal Farlow-ronaldo-e1429902543296-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Tal Farlow-ronaldo-e1429902543296-jpg 
    Last edited by neatomic; 10-23-2015 at 10:52 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

That's a great story. Amazing Ronaldo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    That's a great story. Amazing Ronaldo.
    Ditto. Thanks for sharing, Joe. Boo-boo is beautiful!

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing. In addition to your masterpiece guitar and all the affection you demonstrate for her, you are a great storyteller.

User Info Menu

Just stunning.

User Info Menu

Nice story Joe. Thanks for sharing and congratulation to a gorgeous guitar. You made me very curious to hear it!
    Enjoy the new beauty!

User Info Menu

Congrats Joe!!!

User Info Menu

That looks like expert work indeed.... Great guitar and I hope to hear you play it soon !

User Info Menu

Congratulations, Joe! That beautiful guitar is in good hands! Play it in good health!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 10-24-2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Punctuation

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Tal appreciation club Joe !!!
    Booboo got repaired by a master no doubt; I am speechless looking at the before and after pictures.
    A very nice story, that guitar represents Vinny's fight against Goliath !
    Enjoy it in good health!
    Can't wait to hear you soon with it

User Info Menu

Boo boo, what a name... I love it! It's really great to see the way your bad experience turned out.

Every detail you wrote was written as if you were writing an ad for a high and guitar players shiny sheet mag. :-) Best of luck with Booboo.

User Info Menu

that neck is identical to the neck on my brand new l5 ces

i've never seen a neck so lovely - or felt one so perfectly shaped

looks like a stunning guitar - i love the long scale and large body size - no sound like it

User Info Menu

Beautiful repair. And beautiful instrument. And great story behind it.

This instrument has so much more significance than buying a new one or getting one from eBay. You have a rich cast of characters, the laughter and the tears, and David slaying Goliath all rolled together.

I find that once you go through something like this with a guitar, you're joined at the hip with it.

What kind of pups? 57's?

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    Here is the Video as Promised.
    I hope you like it.
    I missed all you guys during the time the site was down.
    Joe D

Last edited by Max405; 10-24-2015 at 11:25 AM.

User Info Menu

thick, thicker, thickest. wunderbar tone. repair? what repair?
    and good playing on an old chestnut..... "even Basie had me to tea......"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Hi Guys,
    I hope you like it.
    Joe D

Awesome tone and playing Joe.
    Can't get enough of that tone, you make it sounds like mine should sound thanx to your skills lol
    On the Tal I particularly like the way the bass strings sound, the 25.5 scale is truly behind that.
    I find myself using them very often in single line runs
    Nice woody and warm tone you got Joe; are these TI JS112 ? It is my favorite set on that specific guitar.
    It is the only guitar I play flat on the amp with the blanket knob to 10 without it being too bright.
    Again great playing Joe, you make booboo truly sing!
    Last edited by vinlander; 10-24-2015 at 11:41 AM.

User Info Menu

one thing though Joe
    it's ok to wear the teal tank @ home, but it's a no-go for videos.
    ;^)

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing, sir.

User Info Menu

Superb tone and playing my good friend. That video blew my socks off. I never made BooBoo sound that good. It is definitely in the right hands now. Bravo JP oops I mean JD.....ahh same thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Hi Guys,
    I hope you like it.
    Joe D

Joe, at this point, your name is one I mention when people ask: "So what guitarists do you like?"

By the way, YouTube apparently has a name change suggestion:

User Info Menu

Great playing Joe! You are part of an American tradition that celebrates freedom through music. Jazz is America's gift to the world. That Gibby is in the right hands for certain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    one thing though Joe
    it's ok to wear the teal tank @ home, but it's a no-go for videos.
    ;^)
    My wife said the same thing! Thanks Wintermoon.
    Joe D.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Boo boo, what a name... I love it! It's really great to see the way your bad experience turned out.

Every detail you wrote was written as if you were writing an ad for a high and guitar players shiny sheet mag. :-) Best of luck with Booboo.
    Thank you Gary. It was MY PLEASURE to share it with all my buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    that neck is identical to the neck on my brand new l5 ces

i've never seen a neck so lovely - or felt one so perfectly shaped

looks like a stunning guitar - i love the long scale and large body size - no sound like it
    For sure Groyniad. My Tal is your L5's baby sister. They make a beautiful guitar for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Beautiful repair. And beautiful instrument. And great story behind it.

This instrument has so much more significance than buying a new one or getting one from eBay. You have a rich cast of characters, the laughter and the tears, and David slaying Goliath all rolled together.

I find that once you go through something like this with a guitar, you're joined at the hip with it.

What kind of pups? 57's?
    MG, yeah I am happy with Ro's work.
    Vinny is the sweetest giant slayer you'll ever meet. Something good needs to comes his way some day..
    i think they are 57's yes.

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    Awesome tone and playing Joe.
    Can't get enough of that tone, you make it sounds like mine should sound thanx to your skills lol
    On the Tal I particularly like the way the bass strings sound, the 25.5 scale is truly behind that.
    I find myself using them very often in single line runs
    Nice woody and warm tone you got Joe; are these TI JS112 ? It is my favorite set on that specific guitar.
    It is the only guitar I play flat on the amp with the blanket knob to 10 without it being too bright.
    Again great playing Joe, you make booboo truly sing!
    VL, I still like the Viceroy better.. Yes they are TI 12's. They sound nice when they are new. I'm sure you have mad skills bro.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Superb tone and playing my good friend. That video blew my socks off. I never made BooBoo sound that good. It is definitely in the right hands now. Bravo JP oops I mean JD.....ahh same thing.
    Vinny, I can't thank you enough for the great friend you've been. I don't know how your heart fits in your body, really. Your my boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody
    Joe, at this point, your name is one I mention when people ask: "So what guitarists do you like?"

By the way, YouTube apparently has a name change suggestion:

Marwin, that was beautiful thing you said. I cherish those thoughts. Makes me want practice more so I don't let you down!

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Great playing Joe! You are part of an American tradition that celebrates freedom through music. Jazz is America's gift to the world. That Gibby is in the right hands for certain.
    SS, you are an inspiration to me buddy. Joe will always be viable, even decades after he was taken from us because of his greatness and guys like us won't let the world forget about him. He and Ella are tearin it up behind the clouds as we speak!