The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 107

User Info Menu

Tone, touch, taste. Just beautiful. Thank you!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey tanks are a dress code for guys in NJ.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Hey tanks are a dress code for guys in NJ.
    yes. Anything other than pinstriped suits, tanks, and flip flops are a dress code violation..

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Tone, touch, taste. Just beautiful. Thank you!
    thanks always for your nice words C74. Your all class..

User Info Menu

This is the first time I noticed how many Tal Farlows are in an avatar. VERY cool!

User Info Menu

Joe,

Great playing on a great guitar. The tone on the Tal is awesome. What amp were you using, if I may ask?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe,

Great playing on a great guitar. The tone on the Tal is awesome. What amp were you using, if I may ask?
    thanks gt
    no amp. Zoom G3 straight into my of pc. No amp sim. Just a touch of reverb.
    Thanks JD

User Info Menu

JD,

That's a great setup. I have used the G3--belongs to my son. Good rig to play right into the computer with.

User Info Menu

Joe, Mon ami,
    I could not agree more with your views on the TF .Having recently decided to reduce the
    number of instruments for a variety of reasons ,I have chosen to keep only
    an L5CES, a TF, and a ES335TD '60 VOS plus two acoustic electrics.
    The ES175TDN '59 VOS. Guild Bendetto X700, and L4CES are being moved on
    ( the least used guitars) I concur with you on the perception of the TF being very
    near in tone quality to the L5CES. plus the comfort factor due to it's shallower body
    depth. Your great rendition here on I Can't Get Started proves the point. your playing
    isn't too shabby either LOL

Talk again soon buddy

Alan

User Info Menu

Thank you foxman.
    i hope everything is good with you.
    in the last day, (wouldn't ya know), I've developed a little gremlin inside the guitar. When I play Bb and Eb Firmly, I hear a faint fuzz box/reverby kind of sound coming from the inside of the guitar. You can hear it acoustically and through the pickups. Probably change of seasons. I have to put a rubber on the pickup springs. I just really didn't want to take it apart so soon. Oh well..
    I wonder who the genius was who decided to add a fully functioning reverb system to the inside of a guitar!?!?

User Info Menu

Thanks for your thoughts Joe all is well, when i have more time
    i will PM you on the rationale behind that decision.
    I haver experienced similar problems with not only the TF but
    another guitar ,I think your suspicions are well founded and you
    may find the problem may disappear as suddenly as it manifested
    itself

Best , Alan

User Info Menu

I agree with Alan. Great version, Joe D. Full disclosure; I'm working on the same chart and I'm going to nick some of your voicings, or try to. I very much like the way you subtly change the alterations whilst still staying melodic, instead of going way outside. Very classy.

My experience had been that nearly all gibson arch tops have sympathetic resonances, which do shift around. I used to
    fiddle around with the pickup springs, but a better cure was often to wedge a bit of black hard foam against the pickup body; that usually worked. These days, I just live with it

User Info Menu

Great video,story,repair,playing,sunburst,and even the wall. And don't pay any attention to wintermoon. The T shows off your arms. Thanks for the thread and for the rescue guitar Booboo.

User Info Menu

Franz, thank you sir.
    Re: the arrangement. You will find as you go on with it, it's quite long and a lot to remember. JPs arrangements are complicated and long. That one has it all. Lush chords, beautiful changes and tasty runs. If it wasn't for the dropped D, the Johnny Smith stuff would be easier because the pieces are shorter.
    I couldn't think of a better guitar to play this with. I gave my L7c some love last night and found it to be difficult to play. You get spoiled with the Tal. It's the somewhat affordable high end.
    Thanks, Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    Great video,story,repair,playing,sunburst,and even the wall. And don't pay any attention to wintermoon. The T shows off your arms. Thanks for the thread and for the rescue guitar Booboo.
    AG, that was good. Problem is, all the time I put to playing lately, my arms are getting kind of soft. So at this point I should take his advice! I'll spend more time in the gym and then wear no shirt at all. Problem is, the next video will be "smoke on the water", or something easy that I know already...
    Thanks for your nice words. JD

User Info Menu

Love the playing Joe! Tals are great guitars. I had a cherry one and stupidly sold it a few years ago. I never regretted selling a guitar until that one. There was just something special about them. I too experienced the reverb tank effect. I just lived with it. Thanks for sharing and that guitar looks like it never was repaired, amazing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    Love the playing Joe! Tals are great guitars. I had a cherry one and stupidly sold it a few years ago. I never regretted selling a guitar until that one. There was just something special about them. I too experienced the reverb tank effect. I just lived with it. Thanks for sharing and that guitar looks like it never was repaired, amazing!
    thank you TonyD!
    this brings back memories of 175's giving me the same problem. I need to snug up the bridge saddle screws and give the pickup height screws a turn. And then stop Bitchin about one of the greatest guitars I've played in years. It's a keeper. Thanks again, JD

User Info Menu

My Tal is doing the same Joe, once in a while the neck pickup start to vibrate sympathetically, I just slightly wobble it on the springs and it stops. Probably the pickup ring springs would need to be slightly extended to make them tighter when screwed or replaced by tubing. Nothing I consider a problem because the playability and tone of that guitar is just simply gorgeous.

User Info Menu

Hey, I shouldn't make this into a Gibson Tal Farlow problem because the same problem occurred in my JP20 just last week. It's that damn GREMLIN I have in my house. JD

User Info Menu

Re: gtr. neck repair---

Congratulations to Joe DeN. on his new Tal. It sounds great, and his playing, as always, is wonderful.

I've been reading Harold Schonberg's The Great Pianists: From Mozart to the Present which I highly recommend. I have never played piano, but this seems to be a well-documented history of its players and the development of piano style, along with the perpetual debate about virtuosity vs. "musical feeling". (Schonberg was formerly chief music critic for the NY Times.)

In reading about Mozart, Mozart had the following quotation about Johannes Stein, one of the leading makers of "pianofortes", as they were then known:

"This time I shall begin at once with Stein's pianofortes. Before I had seen any of his make, Spath's claviers had always been my favorites. But now I prefer Stein's for they damp ever so much better....the tone is always even. It never jars...it is always even....His claviers really do last. He guarantees that the sounding-board will neither break nor split. When he has finished making one for a clavier, he places it in the open air, exposing it to rain, snow, the heat of the sun and all hell, in order that it may crack. Then he inserts wedges and glues them in order to make the instrument very strong and firm. He is delighted when it cracks, for he can then be sure that nothing more can happen to it. Indeed, he often cuts into it himself and then glues it together and strengthens it in this way. He has finished making three pianofortes this way."

(The above words come directly from a letter, evidently famous, that Mozart wrote to his father, Oct. 17-18, 1777.)

M
    aybe the danger of a cracked guitar neck (properly repaired) is not all that it is cracked up to be?!
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 10-25-2015 at 12:29 PM.

User Info Menu

" Maybe the danger of a cracked guitar neck (properly repaired) is not all that it is cracked up to be?! "

I've heard that a repaired head / neck crack is stronger than before it was broken.

I have no problem buying a guitar with "issues" As a matter of fact, my fave 335 of all I own or have owned had a head neck problem repaired by a hack and I wouldn't trade it for another without the problem :-)

I've been asked why I don't have it "properly" repaired... well because:

A. It's not a high end guitar
    B. The finish is just black, and it doesn't bother me
    C. The repair would cost more than the guitar did and not increase its resale value

User Info Menu

gw77,
    thanks for the nice words buddy.
    seeing this guitar with a broken headstock was heartbreaking for sure.
    It made me bond with the guitar way before I even played it.
    Maybe you're right. The neck on this guitar is stronger than it was before. And because the repair is invisible, that's an added bonus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    My Tal is doing the same Joe, once in a while the neck pickup start to vibrate sympathetically, I just slightly wobble it on the springs and it stops. Probably the pickup ring springs would need to be slightly extended to make them tighter when screwed or replaced by tubing. Nothing I consider a problem because the playability and tone of that guitar is just simply gorgeous.
    My '98 TF also had a few gremlins inside, most of which I managed to chase down. My favorite one took me a while to locate: the wooden insert and the metal frame of the tailpiece vibrated against each other on certain notes. I cured the problem with a few drops of superglue... but more importantly, I agree with the assessment, gorgeous tone!

N.

User Info Menu

Funny, but my TF developed a weird thing today... the D string popped out of the TP while it was sitting on the bed next to me. It was plugged in and I about crapped my pants with the noise the string made thru the amp!

I put the string back in and played for a while, set it down and, BOING, out it sprung again. I looked carefully at the TP and the string and it all looked fine. I re-set the string again and for the last 5 hours or so of sitting and me playing it, this hasn't happened again. I'll change the string and call for an exorcist if it happens again :-)

User Info Menu

GNAPPI,

The TF tailpiece is a pretty tried and true component. I had a similar thing that used to happen with an old Gretsch 6015 Synchromatic guitar that I owned with a Synchromatic tailpiece. The D or G string would escape the tailpiece. If you have ever seen a Synchromatic tailpiece, this is almost inconceivable. Unlike the TF tailpiece, in the Gretsch the string has to go down a tube cut into the tailpiece and out through a hole. The only way out is through the hole.

It turns out that I had strings that were separating from their ball ends and launching through the hole in the tailpiece. I guess the strings were defective. Getting the ball end out without the string attached involved pins and prayers, too.

I changed brand of strings and the problem disappeared. You are correct, though. The noise made by a string detaching from a tailpiece in a quiet room will levitate you right out of your seat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe DeNisco
    Franz, thank you sir.
    Re: the arrangement. You will find as you go on with it, it's quite long and a lot to remember. JPs arrangements are complicated and long.
    Lucky for Joe that he was making them up as he went along, eh? ;-)