The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 344

User Info Menu

​I am sure Lora is working with you on the price on these. You could always get the one from her that REALLY punches your ticket now, and later if the other is still around you could lay down a deposit and pay it off in chunks. Heck I did that with my YZ23, I laid down half and paid the rest off a few weeks later when I had some cash. Talk to her. And because of the Chinese New Year nothing is going out until after the 14th, my guitar also. The carriers do no work there during the Holiday. If the shots of the solo were inside shots that does not help show off the wood. Look back to the beginning of my thread. Check out the back piece when it was wet with alcohol to show off the flame. Then jump to the most recent shots, see how that flame does not show in the shots ???

Good luck deciding. The Yamaha is a nice model is it the thin version or the full bodied version. I'd rather have a fully carved back and top myself, but that's me. If you played out someplace where you have to play loud then the Yamaha would be a good bet because it has a pressed back, not carved. You seem to have good taste in gear.

Off to grill some vegetable skewers.

Big

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ms Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-img_4352-32553-23567-jpgMs Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-image-jpgMs Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-image-jpgMs Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-image-jpgMs Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-img_4352-32553-23567-jpg

While my vegetable skewers are on the grill I shot these
    The indoor shots are in Beijing in the paint room, it's the smaller guitar in the outdoor shots. Notice how the wood doesn't look near as eye popping as in the outdoor shots ??
    Attached Images Attached Images Ms Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-image-jpg 
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 02-10-2016 at 01:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Damn, that's just GREAT! I was GOING to skip lunch but after seeing that plate I gotta eat!

Oh, the gits look GR82

User Info Menu

You think it's just the indoor lighting? I just can't see any defined flame... but it may be the light and the finish stage.

What do you think?

Ms Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-qq-22270-2925520160201165342-jpg

User Info Menu

It's the lighting and finish stage, I'd be on that like a dog in heat. Ask Lora to take some shots outside, near something green if possible. Hmm if I wasn't bleeding money now trying to place all the animals my wife walked away from I'd think twice about that one myself. As I said, get Lora to shoot outside if it's sunny and hopefully near something less stark that the cinderblock buildings and so on. I see flame and if I see it right some very nice counter grain, or is that just strange lighting.

You need a more balanced meal kid. This is chicken breast chunks basted with a glazed of spicy rub, brown sugar and Makers Mark bourbon. Then wrapped in applewood smoke bacon and glazed again, then into my smoker with a small hunkg of maple and smoked at 275 for 90 minutes, then a glaze if bbq sauce, teriyaki and Makers Mark bourbon is applied twice durin the last 30 minutes, that's sticky rice and salad it's served up with.

Ms Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-image-jpg

"Your eyes tell you something tastes good before your mouth does."
    Chef Herve Lebiavant
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 02-10-2016 at 03:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by h1pst3r88
    You think it's just the indoor lighting? I just can't see any defined flame... but it may be the light and the finish stage.

What do you think?

Ms Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-qq-22270-2925520160201165342-jpg
    Looks like flame to me!

Hey, check out the 18" sunburst in the corner!

User Info Menu

Mikey, I make my wings with Makers Mark and a touch of Vanilla extract.
    Right up there with the Booty..

JD

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hey Mike,

Are the two on the deck 16" or 17"?

I love the non-Eastman with its darker shaded amber neck... love that guitar. It seems that Mr. Wu no longer uses that headstock (which I guess is Yunzhi's), but I really like it.

User Info Menu

On the left is the very early Eastman Prototype, really they used Benedetto's book and dvd "how to build an arch top" and it's got the Benedetto headstock shape. A knock off of a Manhattan, it's a 17 inch by 3 1/8. I got an OLD hand wound Armstrong pickup with the epoxy Benedetto wood grain finish. Sweet guitar.

The one on the right is a Yunzhi copy of a John Pisano, but it's a FLOATING pickup - that is a Bartolini 5-J that is mounted to the neck ala Johnny Smith, it has Schatten hidden controls. It's a 16 x 2 1/2 which is what I specifically asked for (not a 2 3/4 like a Pisano). The headstock shape on this is NOT Yunzhi but Eastman. John Pisano laid out exactly what he wanted with those models, they're sweet. Notice my avatar, it's a Eastman Pisano on the left, the Yunzhi copy on the right.

User Info Menu

Yes, your Yunzhi Pisano is a lovely axe. It looks like they have something similar on ebay right now... I assume this is Yunzhi anyway:

Yunzhi 16'' Carved Wood Handmade Solid Wood Archtop Electric Jazz Guitar | eBay

I really like that guitar... but it's not Mr. Wu.

User Info Menu

I didn't see it at first, but now I see the bigger hips on the early Eastman.

The violin 17.2" I am considering is basically the same dimensions as your early Eastman, also 3" (80mm) thick.

With a 45mm nut, is that what you've got?

Is it a comfy guitar to hold and play??

User Info Menu

​The Eastman prototype has a fast easy neck, I don't know the dimensions. All I know is if I go from the the Pisano copy to the Eastman they're both really nice. I DID have to have the shoulders of the back of the Pisano copy carved just a tiny bit. It made all the difference in the world to my old hands.

I'm gonna unjack this thread - DAMN I want to see shots of my finished guitar !!! LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Oops, sorry if I hijacked your thread, you've been enormously helpful. I wouldn't be ordering from Ms. Lora if I didn't have the experience and perspective of people like you.

I can't wait to see how yours turns out ;-)

-C

User Info Menu

And those deck shots, I put my vegetable skewers on the grill, ran in, swept off the front porch, put down the amp and stand, then towels and shot another guitar (an Ibanez AS103BMNT) with the amp. Ran that in, flipped the skewers and basted them. Then ran back placed the guitars on the towels and shot them. The Eastman is actually at a teensie angle to the right. And it appeared it would snow again any second. I got my shots, ran them into their cases, stored them all and then whisked the skewers off the grill and ate. Did all that in about 14 minutes. Talk about multi tasking.

Ms Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-12729391_10153495270367239_1669788111596327519_n-jpgMs Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-12729175_10153495271712239_7751495898682143120_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Ya know what, those Solo inspired guitars or so cool I don't know if I'd play it very often. I mean I'd take it out to play it but I'd probably just stand back ogling the doggone thing. LOL !! Aaahhh same with the violin finished one also.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help, Big man!

;-)

User Info Menu

It seems that Mr. Wu no longer uses that headstock (which I guess is Yunzhi's), but I really like it.
    This is the headstock on the guitar Mr Wu built for me about a year ago...
    Ms Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-020-jpg

User Info Menu

Big,

I just saw in a TGP thread a few years ago that you actually had a violin 17" by Mr. Wu or Yunzhi that you got form ebay, iirc.

How did you like it, what was it's fate?

-C

User Info Menu

That Pisano shaped headstock harkens back to the old Art Deco influence seen in so many famous arch top builders' work. Love use of the contrast strip in the middle.

User Info Menu

I LOVE that headstock!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    That Pisano shaped headstock harkens back to the old Art Deco influence seen in so many famous arch top builders' work. Love use of the contrast strip in the middle.
    You know, Mike, I had actually specified ebony all over, including the middle strip. But this was Mr Wu's idea, and when I saw the photos Lora sent, it made sense to me, so I decided to keep it just like that, also to honour Wu.

User Info Menu

Big,

I just saw in a TGP thread a few years ago that you actually had a violin 17" by Mr. Wu or Yunzhi that you got form ebay, iirc.

-C
    I never hung out on the Gear Page, too rude a place.

But, that being said I did have a Yunzhi built 810 5th Anniversary copy that I got from eBay. Good luck me ever finding the photos of it !! Tried more times than I care to remember. Total acoustic, had a KK Pure Western stashed inside under the bridge. I think it was a Johnny Latch special, meaning one of a bulk lot of instruments he bought from Yunzhi (and got a bulk price on). I got it from a nice kid in Florida who had it listed for a while, got it for $550.00 shipped (used prices vary wildly). It was quite nice. Trouble is he took it to a UPS Store and had them pack and ship it (no problem with that) but in transit as it got close to Jersey it went to someplace outside of Philly instead of Kearny (which is a hub closest to my place). The status stayed unchanged for 5 days, I told the kid to run a trace on it (he has to do the trace since he's the shipper), so off to the UPS Store he went - using the UPS Store to pack and ship gives you a little more juice if there is a lost parcel. So UPS got into looking for it - it was nowhere to be found. Damn... About 4 weeks later I get a call from a woman at a UPS Lost Parcel Facility outside of St. Louis, she asks for help indetifying the violin stained guitar she has in front of her. I emailed her the ad, some extra photos the seller had sent me AND told her "in the case pocket the seller put a small bag of guitar picks and some strings". Bingo, that was all the proof they needed and they Next Day'ed it to me. Not a scratch on it though she said the original box had been destroyed in transit... I kept it for a while but I had Blondie already so sold it to my broker buddy at no loss. A parent with an aspiring jazz student son bought it, last I heard the dad still calls my buddy asking him if he has more of them as his son's friends want one. Thing about dealing with Yunzhi (and only to a small extent with Mr Wu) is their artisans come and go and the instruments need a little more work done to them once you have them in hand...

If I find a photo I'll tack it in here. I had real nice wood, your violin finished one looks a lot like it.

User Info Menu

Big,

-C
    Sorry about the hijack, and the poor photo quality - my "violin" Eastman, 2007 AR604CE Jim Fisch model
    Ms Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-dsc_0124c-jpg

User Info Menu

Lo
    ng day, late in the afternoon I Score a wonderful parlor guitar.
    then get this confirmation photo from Beijing
    as I've said before

Sleep is highly overrated.
    Lol !!

Ms Lora/Mr Wu Special Project-image-jpg