The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

Where can you get them? Now.. I know Gibson doesn't issue them other than by putting them on an L5, and when they are for sale they command a pretty penny, but what about the independent market? Are there guys out there making good reproductions? Upwards of $1000 is a pretty alarming price to pay for such a piece! I look forward to seeing what is out there.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can't get them period. Only way to get one is to have a Gibson authorized repair center return yours to Gibson for a replacement with a valid L5 serial number. Gibson has a patent on the design. You will not find a aftermarket duplicate.

User Info Menu

Maybe a old 1970's Ibanez lawsuit model tailpiece but the hole pattern may not be identical. L5 tailpieces are selling for $750 to $1000 on Ebay for a reason. If you could get aftermarket L5 tailpieces independent archtop guitar builders would be using them. You can't get too much classier than a L5 tailpiece and Gibson knows it.

User Info Menu

Cream City Music had a stash of 10 original new old stock L5 tailpieces sans the silver medallion for sale on ebay two years ago for about $360 each. They were factory seconds but genuine Gibson L-5 tailpieces.

I found a tarnished old piece with the medallion on ebay for which I paid $125. It is no beauty and some of the engraving is worn off but it is an L5 tailpiece. I have been waiting to mount it on my Epiphone Broadway Elitist. Still waiting. Never got around to actually doing it.

If you are the buyer of that under-the-bed-for-decades 1939 L-5 on ebay, I don't hate you but I hope that you at least are worthy of it...If not, sell it to me for exactly the same amount you paid for it
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 10-01-2015 at 01:41 PM.

39 L5 eh? A premier model? I hope it's gone to someone worthy. I had a 57 L5CES but sold it because it was too much guitar for me, and because I rack up a lot of shows and I needed someone I was more comfortable waving goodbye to as it gets handed to luggage staff at various airports - and I'm not a collector. Cream City Music eh? Dang wish I needed one then! I love this forum. So much great info. Always.

User Info Menu

Things like that do show up once in a while on eBay.

Gibson L-5 Tailpieces?-s400tail-jpg

User Info Menu

The older L5 TP had a hole through which (a skilled luthier) could turn a screw that changed the downforce on the top, tuning it. I think it was called "vari tune", not to be confused with the electronic dial called the same on 345 and 355's (the black knob). Gibson eventually eliminated this feature because a) many people didn't know what it did or how to use it, and b) related, many people didn't have the skill to properly tune the top and cranked it too tight causing cracks in the spruce top. An L5 TP without this feature is not worth having, or at least certainly not worth $700-$1000.

User Info Menu

Gibson L-5 Tailpieces?-super400tailpiecevaritune-jpg

User Info Menu

My 2013 L5ces tailpiece has some tarnishing. All the other gold on the guitar (and all my other guitars for that matter) have no tarnishing.

Should I complain to Gibson? Or suck it up?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    The older L5 TP had a hole through which (a skilled luthier) could turn a screw that changed the downforce on the top, tuning it. I think it was called "vari tune", not to be confused with the electronic dial called the same on 345 and 355's (the black knob). Gibson eventually eliminated this feature because a) many people didn't know what it did or how to use it, and b) related, many people didn't have the skill to properly tune the top and cranked it too tight causing cracks in the spruce top. An L5 TP without this feature is not worth having, or at least certainly not worth $700-$1000.
    a lot of L-5 and Super 400's have had the top crusher [varitone] removed for this reason.
    it made only the slightest difference in sound anyway.

they haven't been making them since about '74ish

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboy
    My 2013 L5ces tailpiece has some tarnishing. All the other gold on the guitar (and all my other guitars for that matter) have no tarnishing.

Should I complain to Gibson? Or suck it up?
    i've noticed that a lot of modern L-5 tp's show premature tarnishing/removal of the gold.
    they're likely made by someone for Gibson and the plating is either not done well or applied too thin.

User Info Menu

I currently have a non-top-crusher real L-5 tailpiece on my '38 L-12.
    I'd be happy to trade it (plus some incentive) for an L-12 tailpiece.
    Or just sell it outright.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-08-2015 at 11:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I found a tarnished old piece with the medallion on ebay for which I paid $125. It is no beauty and some of the engraving is worn off but it is an L5 tailpiece. I have been waiting to mount it on my Epiphone Broadway Elitist. Still waiting. Never got around to actually doing it.
    I didn't know you owned an Epiphone Broadway Elitist. They are very cool guitars with a classic smokey tone.

Why would you want to swap out the Frequensator tailpiece?

User Info Menu

It sounded like a good idea at that time... Never got round to it so no harm done. Wanted a Gibson L-5CES, couldn't afford it so thought that a Epiphone Broadway Elitist made a good candidate as an ersatz L-5CES.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 10-11-2015 at 01:54 AM.

User Info Menu

I hear you. It can be fun to tinker with one's instruments a bit.

The only reason I'd ever consider swapping out the Frequensator is if I ran into problems with string sets that came with a D string that wasn't long enough to make it from the tailpiece the the tuning peg comfortably enough. I've found this to be more of an issue with acoustic sets than electric ones, though.

User Info Menu

Only one way to get a L5 tailpiece. Buy the guitar that goes with it. I personally knew a Gibson rep employee. He couldn't even get me one. He told me they are a lock and key item at Gibson with a strict inventory on every L5 tailpiece. Their must be a serial number involved before one is released.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Only one way to get a L5 tailpiece. Buy the guitar that goes with it. I personally knew a Gibson rep employee. He couldn't even get me one. He told me they are a lock and key item at Gibson with a strict inventory on every L5 tailpiece. Their must be a serial number involved before one is released.
    Fair enough.
    But two used ones have popped up just in this thread.
    And I also have a 1970s Japanese copy, off of a Howard Roberts copy guitar.
    They are out there.

User Info Menu

You are correct Hammertone. I am just stating that you are not going to get one easily from Gibson. Gibson will send you a new one if you send your old tailpiece first to them but no strings on your L5 for a long period of time is not a good thing both for the guitar and you. Believe me another reason Gibson makes me mad.

User Info Menu

You can also send your L5 to Gibson Repair & Restoration and they will put a new L5 tailpiece on it for you or like I said earlier try and find a old Ibanez Lawsuit tailpiece.

User Info Menu

Has anyone ever had one restored by an independent gold plating company?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboy
    Has anyone ever had one restored by an independent gold plating company?
    I asked an Elkhart, Indiana based plating company which does the plating for the Vincent Bach, Conn-Selmer USA, etc. horns. I forget what the quote was ($500 to $600?) but remember that it is high for plating of a certain micron depth. They would have to remove the old plating and engraving that is on it and re-plate it. I'd have to get it re-engraved myself. And the silver medallion gets gold-plated too. So, it won't look right.

I accepted that a tarnished tailpiece was part of the charm of an old guitar and so left it alone.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 10-02-2015 at 11:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Would coating the tailpiece with lacquer stop it from tarnishing?

Just a thought.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Would coating the tailpiece with lacquer stop it from tarnishing?

Just a thought.
    I've seen this done--what happens is that the lacquer starts peeling off and looks really ugly.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Here's an L5 tailpiece copy for those who may be interested. At $450 shipped, it comes with a complementary L5 copy guitar.

https://reverb.com/item/1096341-sebr...bacco-sunburst

User Info Menu

Great find Klatu ! My only concern would be if the mounting hole patterns are the same.