The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I get a chance to buy a Yamaha AES 1500 in mint condition for 800€ ($900) it also comes with a nice gift, a Roland DAC 50D, the orange one, so looks like a good deal. I'd like to know if anyone has this axe and how good it is. I've read really good reviews but I also like to know your opinion.

Yamaha AES1500 Opinion-yamaha-aes1500-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

for $800 you'd be better off finding a used ibanez FG100 or something similar

User Info Menu

I've always liked Yamaha guitars. Never played a Yamaha neck I didn't like.

User Info Menu

The AES1500 is a nice guitar. Frank Gambale played it for many years.
    If you want that "real" Archtop sound, get a guitar with a floating bridge and a Tailpiece that`s attached to the side of the guitar.

User Info Menu

I agree about Yamaha guitars and necks. I'd look for a used AE1200 though. Solid spruce top. GREAT archtop sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    for $800 you'd be better off finding a used ibanez FG100 or something similar

You won't find a good FG100 in Europe for that (low for here) price.

For the AES1500, it seems like a good price (for Europe), if it really is in good condition.

User Info Menu

Eigenbart, Yamahas are all good. Good fit and finish, excellent nut and fretwork plus their electric hardware aint too shabby either.

The price is good too. What's not to like?

The AE500 is a good bet too, don't see many of these about..
    Yamaha AES1500 Opinion-1-032-032492_1-yamaha-ae500-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for your opinions, didn't know about the Ibanez Fg100, looks really nice!! But as someone said it's hard to find in Europe. I think I'm not gonna buy that AES1500, looks like there are better options for that price range.

regards

User Info Menu

The AES1500 here in the UK sells new for around £1500 $2283 I haven't owned one but the one I tried played and sounded great, there is nothing wrong with Yamaha guitars they are as good as anybodys. Yamaha have been making musical instruments since 1880 and the range is vast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eigenbart
    Thanks for your opinions, didn't know about the Ibanez Fg100, looks really nice!! But as someone said it's hard to find in Europe. I think I'm not gonna buy that AES1500, looks like there are better options for that price range.

regards
    I think that's smart. I have owned and played a lot of yamaha archtops. They had an AE1200 which was nice but most of the others I've played were not on the same level as ibanez, greco, tokai, aria

User Info Menu

I have an early 70s AE18 which I like. It is very well made and sounds very nice amplified. It does very good Wes sound. It loses to my Heritage Super Eagle acoustically (but so do a lot of guitars which would cost you twice as much... or more). Agree with comment on Yamaha necks above. And in general, agree with comments on Yammies' quality. They are quite good. Unlike most of the other Japanese brands, Yamaha owned/owns its own factories/workshops. Those making top end Yamaha guitars have generally been working for Yamaha for decades and they get to build the nicer stuff.

User Info Menu

Jazzbow, I've found a Yamaha AE500 for $300, I'm really tempted

User Info Menu

Nice one mate. €300 is a good price, specially if it comes with a case.

Here's some specs..

Construction Set Neck
    Scale Length 24 3/4" = 628mm
    Fingerboard Rosewood
    Radius 13 3/4" = 350mm
    Frets 22
    Body Maple
    Neck Mahogany
    Bridge Yamaha Original, AES Bridge
    Pickups Yamaha Humbuckers
    Pickup Switch 3-Position
    Controls Front/Rear Volume, Front/Rear Tone
    Colors Black, Brown Sunburst
    Warranty Yamaha Limited Lifetime

Some people might be put off by the tailpiece and 'f' holes but I think they look modern and cool.

I have a Yam AEX 502, the bolt on with P90's, that came out at the same time.

Yamaha AES1500 Opinion-yamaha_aex502_002-jpg

The neck on mine is fantastic, no problems what so ever. In fact the fret work is excellent. All I did to this guitar was to change the pots and cap.
    It took me a while to track one down but eventually one turned up in Chester, UK. While I was demoing in the music shop and having a blast the shop staff asked me to turn the volume down. I was making the acoustic guitars vibrate tho'. Well that became my 'keeper' guitar. The balls out rocker with a soupçon of jazzy cleans.
    Everyone that plays it wants it.

I would be all over that AES 500, for €300 it's cheaper than an Epiphone ES175!

Slap some flats on and you have thunk heaven!

Yamaha AES1500 Opinion-yamaha-ae500-yamaha-erb070-slika-6054281-jpg

I think you'll have a lot of guitar for your money.

User Info Menu

Anyone notice the bridge pickup is not parallel with the neck pickup on this? I even took it into photoshop to verify it wasn't an optical illusion and it's not. The right side of the bridge pickup tilts back towards the bridge. That's real quality! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    Eigenbart, Yamahas are all good. Good fit and finish, excellent nut and fretwork plus their electric hardware aint too shabby either.

The price is good too. What's not to like?

The AE500 is a good bet too, don't see many of these about..
    Yamaha AES1500 Opinion-1-032-032492_1-yamaha-ae500-jpg

User Info Menu

Looking at the 'f' holes and tailpiece Yamaha are trying to 'mix' up the vintage modern aesthetic.

I think they're trying for this look JZ...

Yamaha AES1500 Opinion-prewar_gibson_01_3_12-jpg

User Info Menu

Just got me one off the 'verb. Plays very well and even across all registers. According to the seller, was refretted with stainless jumbos so that's a plus. Not very different from a hoefner thin president in terms of woods, scale and neck profile. Just trapeze vs stop tail, hollow vs semi, larger body so a good complement overall.

I have the orange aes 1500 and I never play it, but when I took it to lessons, two of my teachers really liked it. I believe it was around 1989 that I bought it and I paid $850 plus tax if memory serves. It plays really well, but does not give the sound I like for jazz. For other genres, you may find the sound to your liking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by raal
    Just got me one off the 'verb. Plays very well and even across all registers. According to the seller, was refretted with stainless jumbos so that's a plus. Not very different from a hoefner thin president in terms of woods, scale and neck profile. Just trapeze vs stop tail, hollow vs semi, larger body so a good complement overall.