The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMuzak
    Jack it isn't easy for me to see how the pickup is mourned exactly is it via bars to the neck? Why couldn't one just get a larger floating pickup mounted to the guitar? Do you think the JS verythin might do the trick if I changed the pickup?

I'll consider the Eastman. I've had one in the past that I wasn't too fond of, but it was a pretty different model from what we're discussing here.
    the mini humbuckers hofner uses are friction mounted with screws in the pickup rings pushing against the side housing of the pickup. Hofner thinks this "floating" arrangement creates a more acoustic sound but IMO, it's just voodoo. I don't remember all the details but a standard mini humbucker wouldn't fit as I recall and Kent Armstrong would have used a taller pickup with more windings if he could but there was some reason he couldn't do it and I don't remember why. You could try emailing him and see if he knows the details. When I got my rewould pickup back from him, it was only marginally less bright and he said there was not much he could do because of the depth (or lack thereof)

Also, the balance problem is a dealbreaker on the JS IMO unless you always play sitting.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    adam uses a 335 most of the time.
    I don't follow Adam's career very closely (but do Lage's). But I am under the same impression as you Jack, 335 usually.

But on Chris Potter band he plays strats and teles regularly and makes them sound very dark (as usual).

My point was solely both Rogers and Lund can take dark sounds from bright guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    the mini humbuckers hofner uses are friction mounted with screws in the pickup rings pushing against the side housing of the pickup. Hofner thinks this "floating" arrangement creates a more acoustic sound but IMO, it's just voodoo. I don't remember all the details but a standard mini humbucker wouldn't fit as I recall and Kent Armstrong would have used a taller pickup with more windings if he could but there was some reason he couldn't do it and I don't remember why. You could try emailing him and see if he knows the details. When I got my rewould pickup back from him, it was only marginally less bright and he said there was not much he could do because of the depth (or lack thereof)

Also, the balance problem is a dealbreaker on the JS IMO unless you always play sitting.
    hmm...I emailed ken and he said he could rewind the pickup to his PAF 0 spec no problem..

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    JazzMusal what's your budget? Adam and Lage have different sounds and use different guitars. They both can sound dark with bright guitars (tele and sadowosky jim hall respectively).
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I don't follow Adam's career very closely (but do Lage's). But I am under the same impression as you Jack, 335 usually.

But on Chris Potter band he plays strats and teles regularly and makes them sound very dark (as usual).

My point was solely both Rogers and Lund can take dark sounds from bright guitars.
    all good points. Ultimately it's in the playing. They'll sound great no matter what they play.

It really depends...I was hoping to not go above $2,000. The Bruno is probably closer to the Jim hall model and the verythin closer to the 335, but both are still very different beasts.

User Info Menu

hmm...I emailed ken and he said he could rewind the pickup to his PAF 0 spec no problem..
    The Hofner Diamond Pickups in the John Stowell model are good sounding pickups, but they only fit Hofner pickup surrounds. I like the Hofner John Stowell guitar, I also like the older Eastman El rey too.

For info purposes:

These are Hofner Diamond pickups.

The pickups will fit into these type of Hofner surrounds.

User Info Menu

all good points. Ultimately it's in the playing. They'll sound great no matter what they play.

It really depends...I was hoping to not go above $2,000. The Bruno is probably closer to the Jim hall model and the verythin closer to the 335, but both are still very different beasts.
    Yeah very different. I would love to try a Sadowsky and love how they sound so that would be my choice... can you try them?

User Info Menu

As the new guy I'm afraid I have nothing to contribute to the discussion regarding the Verythin's attributes, but I would like to thank Cunamara for posting the Jimmy Wyble clips. I'll definitely be on the lookout for his published etudes.

User Info Menu

This sounds great and balances just fine:

User Info Menu

As does this:

User Info Menu

My special dream after death will be to reborn into
    a form of Hammertone 's leather chair,
    This very chair that holded so much beautifull guitars,
    And I would be pleased to be photographed as well in such compagnies ..

Although I maybe have to manage Hammertone's butt ,
    How much do you weight please ?
    I' ll make then my decision.

christophe :-))

User Info Menu

Then there's this one, heh.
    It balances as well.
    One useful modification is to use lightweight tuners - Sperzels in this case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Just a few helpful facts:

- the scale length of the Verythin JS, Verythin Classic, Verythin Standard, Jazzica, Vice-President, New President, Thin President and Chancellor is @25 1/4", not 25 1/2."
    This is an older post. However, I felt compelled to comment on it. I own both a Hofner Verythin JS, and a Hofner Jazzica. (I used to own as well a New President.)

Sorry, but the measured scale on my Verythin John Stowell model is a full 25 1/2". My Jazzica is 25 1/4". But there is no doubt that the Hofner JS Verything has the full "Fender Scale".

I asked John Stowell about this while doing a clinic with him last year. He said that the specs on the Verythin JS model are "all over the place", suggesting that one can find both 25 1/2" and 25 1/4" scales.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Byrd
    This is an older post. However, I felt compelled to comment on it. I own both a Hofner Verythin JS, and a Hofner Jazzica. (I used to own as well a New President.)

Sorry, but the measured scale on my Verythin John Stowell model is a full 25 1/2". My Jazzica is 25 1/4". But there is no doubt that the Hofner JS Verything has the full "Fender Scale".

I asked John Stowell about this while doing a clinic with him last year. He said that the specs on the Verythin JS model are "all over the place", suggesting that one can find both 25 1/2" and 25 1/4" scales.
    After reading your post, I measured the scale on my Jazzica and got 25 1/2".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    [Sept. 16, 2015] the scale length of the Verythin JS, Verythin Classic, Verythin Standard, Jazzica, Vice-President, New President, Thin President and Chancellor is @25 1/4", not 25 1/2." ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Byrd
    This is an older post. However, I felt compelled to comment on it. I own both a Hofner Verythin JS, and a Hofner Jazzica. (I used to own as well a New President). Sorry, but the measured scale on my Verythin John Stowell model is a full 25 1/2". My Jazzica is 25 1/4". But there is no doubt that the Hofner JS Verything has the full "Fender Scale".
    Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    After reading your post, I measured the scale on my Jazzica and got 25 1/2".
    Fascinating.

I'll assume for the moment that everyone has measured correctly, and that John's reference to specs on the Verythin JS model being "all over the place" may apply to the scale length as well as to other specs (I wonder to which other specs he refers?). This would mean that there are Verythin John Stowells with scale lengths of 25 1/2", Verythin Classics and Standards with scale lengths of 25 1/4" out there, and Jazzicas with scale lengths of 25 1/4" as well as 25 1/2" out there.

If so, I must give my friends at Hofner credit for offering these choices, because my understanding is that cutting fret slots and routing cavities for fretboard inlays is a deliberate act. As well, the maple necks would need to be made slightly longer, to ensure that the neck/body joints correctly line up with the bodies. Luckily, no accommodation would be needed for the floating bridges on these two models, and the non-traditional soundholes do not have notched reference points for bridge placement (unlike those on, say, the Gibson Byrdland or L-5 Lee Ritenour models). That's a lot of work for a few hundred guitars produced over a decade. No wonder they discontinued the JS! And the Classic. And the Standard. And the Jazzica. And the New President. And the Chancellor.

Since the Verythin Stowell model has essentially been out of production for the last decade, I suppose that owners who are curious about their instruments can always check the scale lengths of these guitars. Same for the Jazzica (although there are still a few new Jazzicas, not yet sold, resting comfortably, away from public eyes. No point in letting consumers know about these, eh?).

In my own case, I'll check a few Hofners currently resting in the bunker and report back. FWIW, I measure scale length from the live edge of the nut (where it meets the vibrating string) to the center of the twelfth fret, then multiply by two.
    I'll also ask the owner of Hofner about this, since I'll be seeing him at this year's NAMM show.

And speaking of NAMM, it will be a blast from the past, with a new Jazzica, Verythin Classic and Verythin Standard on display, along with various basses. Hey! I'll measure those as well!
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-14-2019 at 03:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Someday I'd like to see a photo of the "bunker"

User Info Menu

So funny that Hammertone mentions the Byrdland.

So sports fans, anyone want to note the actual (vs. typical “nominal” BS) scale length of a Byrdland?

And that is, as Stephen kindly notes, the distance from the front of the nut to the CENTER of the 12th fret X2.

The nut to bridge will vary based on the bridge compensation of a given action height and string set (and screw up in the setup).

Probably the ony guitar I want back, after selling so many over 4 decades, is the Verythin JS.

Regardless of measured scale length.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    The Hofner Diamond Pickups in the John Stowell model are good sounding pickups, but they only fit Hofner pickup surrounds. I like the Hofner John Stowell guitar, I also like the older Eastman El rey too. For info purposes:
    These are Hofner Diamond pickups.

The pickups will fit into these type of Hofner surrounds.
    While we're on this archaeological dig, here's something useful for all you tinkerers out there. It turns out that Gibson mini-humbucking pickups are smaller than the Hofner minis, and can be fitted into Hofner mini pickup covers. Some sleight of hand is required but it works quite well. FWIW, current Hofner mini-humbuckers (from @2006-current) are typically wound to 4.5 and 5.5 as a set. Outputs on earlier versions (from @1998-2005) vary widely, from hotter to much hotter.
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner John Stowel Verythin-hof-fun-pickups_4283-jpg Hofner John Stowel Verythin-hof-fun-pickups_4282-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-13-2019 at 05:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ptchristopher3
    So funny that Hammertone mentions the Byrdland.
    So sports fans, anyone want to note the actual (vs. typical “nominal” BS) scale length of a Byrdland?
    And that is, as Stephen kindly notes, the distance from the front of the nut to the CENTER of the 12th fret X2.
    The nut to bridge will vary based on the bridge compensation of a given action height and string set (and screw up in the setup).
    Probably the ony guitar I want back, after selling so many over 4 decades, is the Verythin JS. Regardless of measured scale length.
    I never tire of using the Byrdland and the L-5 Lee Ritenour as examples of bridge placement/f-hole relationships gone tragically wrong. My favourite Hofner (Fischer made eight of these before he departed) is guilty of this very sin, and that's why it's my favourite, heh. It just makes me laugh, and then laugh some more.

OK, Chris, so what IS the actual scale of a Byrdland? I don't have one handy.
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner John Stowel Verythin-hof-thin-pres-flor-sbc-3-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-13-2019 at 05:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow look at them [true] northward f-holes. Must be a special guitar for the canadian market!

User Info Menu

Following Gibson isn't always a good idea, sigh...
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner John Stowel Verythin-l-5-rit1-jpg 

User Info Menu

As you note, it is no small thing to randomly vary scale length. The actual cutting of fret slots in the FB is the primary determining factor.

I have no idea why a company would maintain a slovenly (no offence to Slovenia intended) difference between “nominal” scale length and actual scale length.

In my opinion, one needs to carefully measure from the front edge of the nut to the CENTER of the 12th fret along the G or D string, then multiply by 2.

Any other measurement (unless one wants to actually measure absolutely down the center of the FB) is subject to remarkable error.

Byrdland guitars are filled with quirks to say the least. But I have worked on so many that were just great to play, and finally bought one from Dave’s that had the characteristics that I liked best in the ones I have played over the decades.

I think that you will find they are typically more like 23 3/8 as the actual scale length.

This is the actual scale of mine, and the scale that I have noted when I recall actually bothering to measure on other Byrds.

Does 23 3/8 vs. 23 1/2 matter ?

Nooooooo.

Is it sloppy to quote the wrong scale length?

Priceless.

I would skeptically suspect ANY scale length “measurement” that was not VERY carefully done from the front of the nut to the CENTER of the 12th fret along the D or G string - by a person given to care and precision.

Hope all is well with you and yours in the great true north.

Miss Patrick2 to a notable extent.

Chris

User Info Menu

On the Lee R.:

You need “modern art” f-holes to hide the odd placement on smaller body guitars.

User Info Menu

My Byrdland with the opposite “problem” vs. the Lee R.

F-holes are too far south. Yet music is made.

Hofner John Stowel Verythin-5310e62a-d495-4b1e-8aed-50f7c0c8c358-jpg

I specifically looked for a wide and varied top grain on a Byrd’ since I repeatedly preferred this to one of the butter-smooth tight-grain tops on many. This one has “it”.

User Info Menu

Anyway, back to the great Hofners from Thomas Stulein and Hubert Kaa. A true golden age even if most ‘consumers’ are clueless.

Hope I spell the names correctly.
    Last edited by ptchristopher3; 01-13-2019 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Wanted to

User Info Menu

I have a 2004 New President. The diamond pickup is ok, but I’d like a fatter PAF-type of tone.

So, a standard mini-humbucker won’t fit the ring? Or too thick, maybe?

Rewind, or maybe try to get a different ring mount or make one?

Thanks
    victor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Martin223
    I have a 2004 New President. The diamond pickup is ok, but I’d like a fatter PAF-type of tone.
    So, a standard mini-humbucker won’t fit the ring? Or too thick, maybe?
    Rewind, or maybe try to get a different ring mount or make one?
    Thanks
    victor
    Just mount a different floating pickup entirely. Here's a Jazzica with a Benedetto B6:
    Attached Images Attached Images Hofner John Stowel Verythin-hof-jazzica_8428-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 02-23-2020 at 12:34 AM.