The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

D'Angelico EXL-1, EX-59, EX-DH and Style B-family-gathering-photo-13-2-jpg

I didn't post photos when I got each of these separately over the past year so here is a picture of the entire family. I didn't plan to buy 4, but after getting the EXL-1 last October I was so impressed I got a Style B, then the EX-59 and EX-DH. I'll never own a real D'Angelico or D'Aquisto, Epiphone Deluxe or Gibson L5 or Super 400 and probably wouldn't spend that much for a guitar unless I won the lottery. I'm happy with these.

From left to right, a D'Angelico EXL-1, EX-59, EX-DH and Style B. In back is the respected elder, a 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent. I'm having a great time getting familiar with the different pickup sounds of two guitars with floating pickups, one with a set of P-90's and one with a set of humbuckers. There aren't any stores with a good selection of archtops near here and I've never had the opportunity to try guitars with these different pickups. I've played jazz guitar since the late 1960's. I appreciate the different tones and being able to choose the right one for the moment. Each have their own personality. The Style B has a soft and mellow tone, each note on the EXL-1 is bright and distinct, the EX-59 gets the classic P-90 tone with lots of depth and the EX-DH has the more modern humbucker sound that is very clear and balanced. They are well made with a lot of attention to detail, play easily,have no fret problems and the finishes are beautiful. I couldn't find any imperfections with any of them. If I had to pick one as a favorite, it would be the Style B. It has a comfortable 24 3/4" scale and a good, well balanced acoustic and amplified tone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Congrats on this beautiful collection! I have the EX-DC and absolutely love it.

User Info Menu

Congratulations and play them all in good health!

User Info Menu

Wow!
    Those replicas really are fascinating. Ther are beautiful decorations that just happen to be wonderful guitars to play. I had a exl-1dp In black and I used to just sit and stare at it. And boy was it a player!!
    Have fun with your new toys. It's amazing how great the guitars are that are coming out these days..
    i wonder what John D'Angelico would say if he walked in that room?

User Info Menu

D'Angelico made electric guitars with United/Code bodies using necks he made himself (the EX-59 with 2 P-90's is based on one of these) and sold them for a lower price in addition to his handmade archtops. Maybe he would have done the modern equivalent, in a way, of overseeing the production and ensuring a high level of quality in outsourced import guitars for musicians who wanted one of his guitars but couldn't afford a handmade one?

I played the 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent in the photo since 1970 and like it, but these D'Angelico replicas are easier to play, feel more stable and have a good sound. I agree the general quality of guitars built today is good, including other replicas that are inexpensive. The Guild A150 interests me. I wish I could have afforded an Epiphone Elite Broadway when they were available and hope Epiphone will make a single pickup archtop in their Elite series. Part of my attraction to the D'Angelicos is appearance and having admired them for a long time. Sometimes I just sit and stare at them too, they are like beautiful pieces of art.

User Info Menu

I hear ya. They are nice. Enjoy them!
    JD

User Info Menu

What media format goes in the little drawers behind the black one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrregent

I didn't post photos when I got each of these separately over the past year so here is a picture of the entire family. I didn't plan to buy 4, but after getting the EXL-1 last October I was so impressed I got a Style B, then the EX-59 and EX-DH. I'll never own a real D'Angelico or D'Aquisto, Epiphone Deluxe or Gibson L5 or Super 400 and probably wouldn't spend that much for a guitar unless I won the lottery. I'm happy with these.

From left to right, a D'Angelico EXL-1, EX-59, EX-DH and Style B. In back is the respected elder, a 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent. I'm having a great time getting familiar with the different pickup sounds of two guitars with floating pickups, one with a set of P-90's and one with a set of humbuckers. There aren't any stores with a good selection of archtops near here and I've never had the opportunity to try guitars with these different pickups. I've played jazz guitar since the late 1960's. I appreciate the different tones and being able to choose the right one for the moment. Each have their own personality. The Style B has a soft and mellow tone, each note on the EXL-1 is bright and distinct, the EX-59 gets the classic P-90 tone with lots of depth and the EX-DH has the more modern humbucker sound that is very clear and balanced. They are well made with a lot of attention to detail, play easily,have no fret problems and the finishes are beautiful. I couldn't find any imperfections with any of them. If I had to pick one as a favorite, it would be the Style B. It has a comfortable 24 3/4" scale and a good, well balanced acoustic and amplified tone.
    Thanks for posting photo's - wow !

And you're not the only one whose favorite is the Style B.

Congrats !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    What media format goes in the little drawers behind the black one?

Cassette tapes. Each level is a case that holds 40 tapes. They used to be sold individually in the olden days (1980's) before CDs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Thanks for posting photo's - wow !

And you're not the only one whose favorite is the Style B.

Congrats !
    Thanks! It seems the top is thinner than the other models which may account for the more nuanced tone but I don't have a way to measure the exact thickness. I wonder why it is slightly more expensive than the other models, not that it isn't worth it. I'm glad to hear you like it, I haven't seen any other user reviews.

User Info Menu

D'Angelico EXL-1, EX-59, EX-DH and Style B-img_0056-jpgD'Angelico EXL-1, EX-59, EX-DH and Style B-img_0057-jpg

This is the greatest guitar I have ever used. Trust me I have owned everything over the years.........

Awesome acoustic sound like a carved top and awesome electric sound.

In almost 50 years of playing I have never had a guitar I didn't want to put down till now.

Seems like I want to practice all the time..........

User Info Menu

They all look stunning. What an Aladdin's Cave!

User Info Menu

ZR, the modern D'Angelico gits are great sounding, play beautifully are impeccably made with the nicest appointments, but I see you're "missing" and EX-DC :-)

I'm a big fan of the modern reproductions enjoy them!

User Info Menu

I have heard a few Demos of EX-DH but not anything showing the warmth of the Neck PU...

Is it warm enough for Trad Jazz ?( even though I don't Play Trad Jazz - I want a Guitar warm enough to go there ).

User Info Menu

The EXl-1 is a fine instrument thats visually appealing, easy to play and built beautifully. Wishing you many years of enjoyment.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Love the collection. Dare I say it, but if it was an L5 that moves you your combined total is near the price of a used L5... assuming of course that you've $3k invested already.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Love the collection. Dare I say it, but if it was an L5 that moves you your combined total is near the price of a used L5... assuming of course that you've $3k invested already.
    Well, there is a story about it. I got the D'Angelico EXL-1 when I turned 62 and got my social security and could just afford it with payments from AMS. Later I decided to get the others as I wasn't feeling too positive about the future and saving for something for years at my age,health condition and financial situation. I thought I would be satisfied with this collection as they are all different in feel and sound and I hadn't had much experience with other guitars, having owned a 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent since 1970 as my only guitar with the exception of a few I got and sold due to dissatisfaction or finances. I'm 65 now. I never considered an L5 as it was way over my budget.

Just a few months ago, a friend of my student gave him a 1970-72 L-5C that had been converted to a double pickup model back in the 1970's and he gave it to me. He already has quite a collection of guitars including a Byrdland and ES175. So, now I have an L-5 (sorry, no pictures yet) and it's a fantastic playing and sounding guitar, both acoustically and amplified. It's dinged and worn and whoever put the pickups on it cut a piece off the back of the lower bout to install them. However, they did a good job of replacing it, it's hardly noticeable. This is the first time I've played an L-5 and now I see how good they are. I don't play the D'Angelicos much anymore, maybe that will change in time for variety.

About the EX-DH, the tone is typical of an Asian made Kent Armstrong pickup. It can get an acceptable jazz tone but not as fat as a Gibson ES175. I wasn't happy with their tone on the other guitars I have had them on either, a Guild X150 and Eastman T146. I think the tone could be improved with a better pickup. My EXL-1 sounds much better with the DeArmond 1100 reissue than the stock KA pickup.

I don't want to take a big loss on the D'Angelicos so will probably hang on to them. It would be nice if I could trade them for a vintage Epiphone Deluxe or Gibson 300 or 350.

User Info Menu

Well, there is a story about it. I got the D'Angelico EXL-1 when I turned 62 and got my social security and could just afford it with payments from AMS. Later I decided to get the others as I wasn't feeling too positive about the future and saving for something for years at my age,health condition and financial situation. I thought I would be satisfied with this collection as they are all different in feel and sound and I hadn't had much experience with other guitars, having owned a 1951 Epiphone Zephyr Regent since 1970 as my only guitar with the exception of a few I got and sold due to dissatisfaction or finances. I'm 65 now. I never considered an L5 as it was way over my budget.

Just a few months ago, a friend of my student gave him a 1970-72 L-5C that had been converted to a double pickup model back in the 1970's and he gave it to me. He already has quite a collection of guitars including a Byrdland and ES175. So, now I have an L-5 (sorry, no pictures yet) and it's a fantastic playing and sounding guitar, both acoustically and amplified. It's dinged and worn and whoever put the pickups on it cut a piece off the back of the lower bout to install them. However, they did a good job of replacing it, it's hardly noticeable. This is the first time I've played an L-5 and now I see how good they are. I don't play the D'Angelicos much anymore, maybe that will change in time for variety.

About the EX-DH, the tone is typical of an Asian made Kent Armstrong pickup. It can get an acceptable jazz tone but not as fat as a Gibson ES175. I wasn't happy with their tone on the other guitars I have had them on either, a Guild X150 and Eastman T146. I think the tone could be improved with a better pickup. My EXL-1 sounds much better with the DeArmond 1100 reissue than the stock KA pickup.

I don't want to take a big loss on the D'Angelicos so will probably hang on to them. It would be nice if I could trade them for a vintage Epiphone Deluxe or Gibson 300 or 350.
    Now that's what I call a "story!" Congrat's on the converted 70's L5C! I can't wait to see photos of it. What a gift!

User Info Menu

Good info on the EX-DH...

They make a Deluxe Model which has Seymour Duncan Pickups and dual to single coil switches for Variations.

With the right Pickups ..does the EX-DH get close to a 175 or is it still slightly less warm - also the EX-DH is 25.5" scale ..

User Info Menu

The DH was not what I expected- I tried them all thinking the DH would be the one I would go for - but I didnt find it nearly as jazzy as the EXL-1 or even the SS, which is what I got in the end . But the DH has a clarity and no fuss sound - reminded me a little of those PRS Archtops that came out in the 90's.
    No not at all like a 175!

User Info Menu

Thanks Gator...

Really appreciate the Info.

I was envisioning something fatter/ deeper than an ES 335 - at least to a 137 which would have the benefit of 25.5" scale and
    with the single coil switch - no mods needed.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 09-22-2017 at 09:47 AM.

User Info Menu

No probs - and that was the Deluxe version I was talking about - I also wasnt crazy about the feel of the matte finish on the neck , but its a very well made and interesting guitar - not my cup of tea though.