The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 82

User Info Menu

I like the TC Flashback Delay, but I don't use it much.

Where are you on analog/digital?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

MXR Carbon Copy...I've got some other more expensive boutique pedals, but this one does the job...and simple is the word.

User Info Menu

Carbon copy is definitely a good suggestion. I would also look at the Ibanez ad9 and boss dm2w.

If you're going to leave it low to act as ambiance my strong recommendation would be to stay analog so that the repeats don't get in the way, hence the above suggestions.

I personally have a Deluxe Memory Man always on with a hint of chorus for that same purpose.
    Last edited by blille; 01-10-2017 at 06:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Can't beat sub $20 if you're handy with a soldering iron I recently genned up one.

Look at the sub $20 echo post.

User Info Menu

There's heaps of good ones - I have a Boss Analog Delay; it's the newer reissue of the old 80's pedal. Super easy to use and is can be very subtle (or very crazy too). The boss digital delay is also good, more hifi sounding.

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-boss-analog-delay-jpg

User Info Menu

and where are you on delay flavor- analog vs digital vs tape vs drum, etc...

i agree that an analog flavored delay may be the easiest to "hide" and are great for melding into your sound and disappearing. the current boss waza craft dm2 seems popular. but when you say clean, what do you mean, exactly? repeats that don't distort, or a clearer delay sound, as opposed to a darker one? the carbon copy has been a long time winner (and cheap to find used) but its on the darker side. and i no longer purchase, trust or recommend ehx products, though the delays are nice.

my personal favorite analog delay is the maxon 999. the reason its so large is because it has extra chips in there, which keep the repeats from getting distorted. it also has an wet/dry out which is nutty fun but easy to ignore if you aren't interested. and with just three knobs, it couldn't be much simpler. on the down side, its large, expensive and pink. also, it doesn't doesn't have its own modulation (like that chorus-y sound), but with the wet dry, you can put any pedal you want there and make your own modulation. distortions, other delays, reverbs, chorus... its crazy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    and i no longer purchase, trust or recommend ehx products, though the delays are nice.

my personal favorite analog delay is the maxon 999. the reason its so large is because it has extra chips in there, which keep the repeats from getting distorted. it also has an wet/dry out which is nutty fun but easy to ignore if you aren't interested. and with just three knobs, it couldn't be much simpler. on the down side, its large, expensive and pink.
    The Maxon is a great delay as well. Being pink is a plus in the delay world, the two I recommended are also pink

What don't you like about EHX? I would be interested in particular in the DMM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The best delay i've ever had is an Maestro EP-3 tube Echoplex. The first time I ever heard one live was Joe Walsh with the James Gang playing Ravel's Bolero. Jimmy Page, Andy Summers, Eddie Van Halen, Tommy Bolin, all used one on those old analog records. Pain in the ass to use with mechanical issues but nothing else has ever come close for my olde ears.

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-maestro-echoplex-jpg

User Info Menu

I appreciate the responses. I do not have any opinion (knowledge) on the analogue/digital question. My only delay experience to date is the Malekko and the internal delay of the AI Ten2. By clean I am thinking non-distorting and clear, rather than a dark or distorted sound. Just enough for a bit of fill or ambiance to the sound. Pink and large, eh?

User Info Menu

Carbon Copy.

User Info Menu

TC Alter Ego x2. Lots of different tape echo/delay choices. The only ones that matter to me are "sp" (space echo) and "ep1" (echoplex). Had the Flashback, and many others. For what I need, perfect.
    MD

User Info Menu

Another happy Carbon Copy user. I keep trying other stuff but come back to the simplicity of the Carbon Copy. Also has a modulation button, with width and rate controls inside, to add a little swirl to the repeats.

Some say the CC is a bit dark, but the tone fits nicely and is not overpowering.

User Info Menu

I'd recommend the Skreddy Echo for analog. I used to own a Malekko and felt it was dark.

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-skreddy-echo-jpg

Had a DMB Lunar - too dark

Pigtronix - white noise

Strymon Timeline - as close to analog I've got with digital, but it's still digital sounding/feeling. Also expensive if you don't use all the features (most of which I thought weren't too useful).

The Skreddy is very clear for analog but doesn't have the sterile crispiness of a digital delay.

The Skreddy and Ibanez AD80 (1980s) are my favorite. The Ibanez is a warmer and has a nice feel to it. The Skreddy also has some nice tape warble and can run off 9v or 18v for different tones. Ibanez AD80s are hit or miss though because of the calibration and decades of use.

For digital, I just use an 80s Boss DD3. I only go for digital with distorted rock tones.

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-boss-dd-3-jpg

If you think analog might be too warm, I'd go with a Strymon El Capitan. Similar sound to a Timeline without all the bells and whistles.

User Info Menu

I like the Catalinbread "Belle Epoch."

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-catalinbread-belle-epoch-jpg

User Info Menu

I only got into delay recently & bought a Boss dm2w Wazacraft.
    It is super easy to get along with & plenty of voices. Not faults that I can tell.

I'm really happy with this pedal, though I don't have any basis for comparisons.
    Must admit I'm curious about Carbon Copy . . . etc, too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwackbob
    By clean I am thinking non-distorting and clear, rather than a dark or distorted sound. Just enough for a bit of fill or ambiance to the sound. Pink and large, eh?
    while the maxon is clear, it (and most analog flavored delays) are generally dark. how dark depends on the pedal, but compared to a digital delay or a clearer tape delay, dark. dark is relative, of course, but it'll generally not be as bright as the other two, unless there's a tone knob or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mad dog
    TC Alter Ego x2. Lots of different tape echo/delay choices. The only ones that matter to me are "sp" (space echo) and "ep1" (echoplex). Had the Flashback, and many others. For what I need, perfect.
    MD
    i eventually made my peace with this pedal (way too modulated for me, and i don't feel like doing the tone print thing) but its a neat little noise box. i don't see it as subtle at all. i generally use the space echo and the occasional echorec settings.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    I like the Catalinbread "Belle Epoch."
    i don't know if this is my *favorite* delay on earth, but its certainly the one i use the most, and probably the one i'd go with if i can only have one (because of the modulation, it reads more as an "effect" than the maxon does). but the preamp bugs some people (like me) because you can't turn it off. also worth noting is that apparently it has been updated; there should be a fancier version out for namm.

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    What don't you like about EHX? I would be interested in particular in the DMM.
    i think they sound cool and had my heart set on a dmm xo for years, but the fact of the matter is that i've had three ehx pedals, and they have all gone pear shaped, to some extent. i even returned one for repair and they were shady and vague throughout the whole process, before returning a completely unchanged pedal, though they took the cash for it. i'll stop short of saying that they knew what they were doing the whole time and they flat out stole from me, but that's certainly how i saw it.

anecdotal evidence on other boards suggests that i'm not alone in at least one of those points, but again, that's anecdotal. and with a company as large as ehx, there are bound to be some issues and sob stories out there. but i'm 0 for 3 with them now, and i really don't expect to pick up a fourth.

to re-rail the thread somewhat, i have a memory toy. its pretty cool for what it is, and i do think its underrated. but it is pretty (clock) noisy, has a volume bump and it overwhelms the sound very early on the mix knob. mine also decides not to do anything when you engage it about a third of the time, though the led comes on. :/
    Last edited by feet; 01-11-2017 at 12:54 PM.

User Info Menu

I have an old pink Ibanez pedal that I like quite a bit. It's definitely simple

User Info Menu

I say, "Embrace the bells and whistles!" and get a DD-500

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-boss-dd-500-jpg

User Info Menu

The MXR Carbon Copy is excellent, but for a lot less money the Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy works just fine. It doesn't alter the sound and is very easy to use. I've had no issues at all with this pedal.

User Info Menu

Wahlbruch Spacetime (handmade in Germany), if cost is no object.

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-wahlbruch-spacetime-jpg

T-Rex Ducktail is also excellent.

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-t-rex-ducktail-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    while the maxon is clear, it (and most analog flavored delays) are generally dark. how dark depends on the pedal, but compared to a digital delay or a clearer tape delay, dark. dark is relative, of course, but it'll generally not be as bright as the other two, unless there's a tone knob or something.

[...]

i think they sound cool and had my heart set on a dmm xo for years, but the fact of the matter is that i've had three ehx pedals, and they have all gone pear shaped, to some extent. i even returned one for repair and they were shady and vague throughout the whole process, before returning a completely unchanged pedal, though they took the cash for it. i'll stop short of saying that they knew what they were doing the whole time and they flat out stole from me, but that's certainly how i saw it.

anecdotal evidence on other boards suggests that i'm not alone in at least one of those points, but again, that's anecdotal. and with a company as large as ehx, there are bound to be some issues and sob stories out there. but i'm 0 for 3 with them now, and i really don't expect to pick up a fourth.

to re-rail the thread somewhat, i have a memory toy. its pretty cool for what it is, and i do think its underrated. but it is pretty (clock) noisy, has a volume bump and it overwhelms the sound very early on the mix knob. mine also decides not to do anything when you engage it about a third of the time, though the led comes on. :/
    To me dark and distorted/lo-fi are different. One is like turning the tone knob down (almost analog delays) the other is like slowly cranking a mild overdrive with each repeat (many tape delay emulators). I get lo-if from analog when I set the time last what the range is supposed to be, like when you force it with tap tempo instead of using the knob.

Really sorry you had such a bad experience with EHX. I'm a big fan and run DMM, DMB, worm, Big Muff on my board. So I find your experience concerning. I have to admit I tend to buy pedals used to make sure they have survived for some time, kind of using the original owner as QC.

Never tried the memory toy but I've always been tempted.

User Info Menu

I really appreciate all of these suggestions. Thank you all. Now only 11 or 12 to track down, research and try!
    How would one describe what might be considered a "high fi" sound to a pedal? Wider frequency response? And is that bad? Or just more personal preference?

User Info Menu

I use EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master. It's a delay/reverb combo box, but you can turn reverb off by dialing the rev knob all the way down. When both are mixed together, it gives a really nice ambient sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwackbob
    I really appreciate all of these suggestions. Thank you all. Now only 11 or 12 to track down, research and try!
    How would one describe what might be considered a "high fi" sound to a pedal? Wider frequency response? And is that bad? Or just more personal preference?
    Wider frequency response sounds about right.

Everything is personal preference. That said, a delay with the repeats in the exact same frequencies tends to get in the way IME. It's great when you want something rhythmic but not for ambiance.

User Info Menu

Designers of digital delays know this. That's why the Flashback has "analog", "tape", and "lofi" settings as well as "2290" (hifi).