The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 82

User Info Menu

I had an MXR Carbon Copy for year and thought it did a pretty good job. It is pure bucket brigade technology so it gets noticeably noisy the longer the delay becomes. I think it's a decent pedal to pick up for $85-90.

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-mxr-carbon-copy-jpg

Diamond Memory Lane Junior is a hybrid analog/digital that I'm sold on. Perfectly quiet, longer delays, warm tone, and sweet modulation. They run about $220 used... but are worth it IMHO. Lots of good delays out there in the $200+ range.

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-diamon-memory-lane-jr-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

From what I hear the carbon copy is very good...although there is a new carbon copy out. I tried a boss Dd5, a trex replica, and a strymon. Didn't get sonic satisfaction out of any of them. I ended up with an Eventide. I love it. Totally pure and despite being a pain to set up...it's worth it when you get there.

User Info Menu

+1 Flashback Mini.

User Info Menu

I've played many delays, many good ones. Expected to much prefer analog, but the opposite has happened. Digital does not have to be pristine strictly. So many different flavors of delay, hard to say what would work best for you. My favorites:

Skreddy Echo
    Echosex 2
    TC alter ego v2
    Catalinbread Montavillian

MD

User Info Menu

The CC is nice but I could dial a very similar sound using TC's editor - with the bonus of having vibrato instead of chorus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon
    I had an MXR Carbon Copy for year and thought it did a pretty good job. It is pure bucket brigade technology so it gets noticeably noisy the longer the delay becomes.
    Thanks! What exactly is this "bucket brigade" business I keep reading about? I haven't found a good definition for what exactly that means...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    My all-time favourite pedal is the Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master. It's a combined delay and reverb pedal. In my opinion, it's the "modern jazz guitar sound" in a box. I've turned a few guys on to it - Lage Lund borrowed mine and now it's the only pedal he takes on tour.

These videos give a good overview:

I was actually thinking about getting a delay pedal when i saw this. I listened to a few demos, but its mostly showcased in extreme ambience settings, how well would it do as a more subtle effect? I would be interested to see how its used in a jazz situation, because it does sound pretty good!

User Info Menu

I've dialed it back far enough a few times to allow some single note/finger picked/chordal stuff. it works, but that's not the fun or the point of the pedal.

the two keys to the dispatch master (to me) are to think of it as both reverb and delay and not two separate things. the other is to use it through an effects loop, where it sounds much better than it does in front of an amp (though its still worth owning even in front of an amp).

also, the new walrus bellwether analog delay is soooo interesting.

User Info Menu

Ok i got that, but how would you use in a jazz context? Would you use for ballads maybe , how about when playing a straight ahead jazz tune? I think having reverb and delay in one pedal is super cool, but this one might be a bit too ambient for a regular jazz gig? Thats what im trying to find out.

User Info Menu

Plenty of people use reverb and delay together - Monder, Rosenwinkel, Lund, Kreisberg, Hekselman, etc... It works!

User Info Menu

Neunaber, great, great, great brand, for me the best!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Ok i got that, but how would you use in a jazz context? Would you use for ballads maybe , how about when playing a straight ahead jazz tune? I think having reverb and delay in one pedal is super cool, but this one might be a bit too ambient for a regular jazz gig? Thats what im trying to find out.
    i'm inclined to say... perhaps? it obviously depends on what you want to accomplish and how you go about it but were i to be playing ballads and standards, i'd reach for something else. i'd probably omit delay altogether. unless you were purposely trying to do something a little different. for straight ahead stuff, a plate or spring reverb would be enough for me.

the delay has sort of a dark, digital voice (as opposed to analog or tape). very clear. the reverb is modulated but pleasantly so. and as you increase the repeats for the delay, it also increases the modulation on the reverb. so they are stuck together, but not in a bad way. that's why i advise people to take it as one effect, and not two in one box, though you could use one without the other. i guess i'm saying that i wouldn't use it as my only source of reverb or delay, unless i was able to work within those limitations.

the really neat (and to me, unique) thing about the pedal is that what you play is always way out front. the repeats and the ambiance always sit far behind the original note so you don't get the "wall of crap" sound that you would from other delays. for that reason, its interesting in a solo guitar context as you get all kinds of space without obscuring what you play.

User Info Menu

i am using delays a lot
    my best delay is an analog Handmade Jam pedal

JAM pedals - handmade analog pedals - Delay Llama Supreme

and of course i am in love with me Eventide timefactor

User Info Menu

I 've been using a Morley Delay and it's old. It says "analog" on the label.

When I step on the switch, the signal gets brighter. I use a 12v. power adapter (its what is recommended).

But lately, the wet signal (on) is getting a bit quieter than the dry signal (off).

Is it normal for the signal to be brighter?

I guess it's time to start trying out some new delays.

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-morley-analog-delay-jpg

User Info Menu

Just so an opposing voice is heard, I have to say that while I love a touch of reverb I hate delay. Reverb can (should) sound "natural", delay always sounds like an effect to me.
    I already heard what you just played, I don't need to hear it 3 more times.
    Sorry to be negative but it's my honest opinion.

User Info Menu

Well yes, delay is an "effect". I use it sparingly to have a different feel, a texture at times. And some passages benefit, others don't. It helps to keep the number of repeats down to 1 or 2 max!.

But... not everyone feels the same. At least "chorus" pedals are less common these days, I hope.

User Info Menu

Low mix dark delay can sound pretty natural.

Is anyone aware of a cheap delay that has a reverse option and a kill dry too?

User Info Menu

Not exactly cheap and you may have to buy it used, but the TC Electronic Nova Repeater matches your requirements. It also has a tone control.

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-tc-electronic-nova-repeater-png

User Info Menu

I just like a little slapback effect, every now and then--when I want to do some Chet or Merle, for example. For that, I just use a MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay pedal (the green one) that I set years ago and don't fool with. I just stomp the button and there's the slap/echo. Simple and reliable.

Every once in a while, it's "Mystery Train" and "I'll See You In My Dreams," not "Cottontail" and "Airegin."
    Last edited by Greentone; 03-01-2016 at 03:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Not jazz but worth a look

User Info Menu

@jorgemg1984 I have a Digitech DL-8 that I use pretty much exclusively for reverse effects (I have another simple delay that I use for my main delay). Got it off ebay for less than 100.

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-digitech-dl-8-jpg

User Info Menu

Duotone and morekiller - thanks for the tips! I am checking those and also the Nova Delay and the new Digitech Obscura.

I also use a regular delay and an extra just for reverse and another one extra for auto swell. I use Zoom pedals for these and they sound great but I was looking for another option that required less ma power and allowed me to change my board a little.

User Info Menu

the nova repeater runs at 12v, if memory serves, which is a little annoying. i remember it coming with its own little adapter, but still. it did everything well, but nothing amazingly. the stereo and ping pong were fun, though. good way to have many sounds in one box.

don't know about kill dry, but for cheap reverses, maybe an old echo park (assuming it still works)? the hardwire isn't that different from the digitech in terms of algorithms, but the obscura has extra knobs so you can tweak it further. and a little skull face man, too.

Educate Me About Delay Pedals-line-6-echo-park-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks feet, 12v is no bother! Echo Park is not an option because I don't trust Line 6... but the obscura is.

I am actually trying to organize my normal delay (dark modulated, stereo with ping pong would be perfect) and my "crazy" delays (auto swell, reverse delay with kill dry, oscillation, all stereo preferably). Let's see what I come up with

User Info Menu

It's time for a new, simple, delay. Mine has just died and did suck tone a bit (a Malekko Ekko 616 analog delay). I am looking for suggestions for a simple delay, to leave on low, with a little reverb, full time. Does not have to be inexpensive but I am tone sensitive and want clean - at least to the extent possible with an added pedal in the chain. I appreciate any suggestions!