The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 46 of 90 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Posts 1,126 to 1,150 of 2241

User Info Menu

Guys, sorry if that's not the right treath but just Im curious. What do you think about the Fender MIM Player Telecasters? Good valiue for the money?
    Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

the new mim player series is the new replacement for the long running mim standard series (which has been dropped)..with a few tweaks and differences

take a look at the g&l tribute line...some nice tele type guitars in that range...great bang for the buck..& nice qc

cheers

User Info Menu

Picked this up few months ago.. 84 fender japan all rosewood (not laminated like the recent ones).
    Heavy but plays and sounds amazing. Probably not staying forever as I prefer my es-175 but I couldn't
    let this one pass.

fender japan all rosewood by wout b, on Flickr

User Info Menu

The neck radius on your '84 made my heart skip a beat.

User Info Menu

whats wrong? Might be the photograph, radius is the same as my other tele's..

User Info Menu

Nothing is wrong. It looks like a vintage 7.5" radius neck. The MIJ necks were like that. In the 80s /90s the US Fenders went to a flatter, 9.5" radius. I prefer the older formula.

User Info Menu

Ah sorry, english isnt my native language.
    I thought skipping a heart beat referenced to being scared of something.
    Yeah i prefer vintage radius too.

User Info Menu

I prefer 7.5 radius too. Even more important nut width 1 5/8, not wider! In current Fender lineup I don't see any guitars with necks like that, wtf? Everything 1 11/16 and 9.5 or 12 radius, I don't get it.

User Info Menu

Fender, like the other manufacturers, of all types of merchandise, makes what sells in volume. There are companies that offer niche products, but they're small, and will never be big.

User Info Menu

The tappers and Bach-n-Rollers like the very flat, wide fretboards. It's all good, but I'm glad that there is also a market for traditional Fender specs, too. All of the after-market neck companies will supply you with a 7.5" radius, 1-5/8" nut neck upon request. You can even get skinny frets.

My "skips a beat" phrase was a reference to the old Buck Owens/Buckaroos song, too, by the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I prefer 7.5 radius too. Even more important nut width 1 5/8, not wider! In current Fender lineup I don't see any guitars with necks like that, wtf? Everything 1 11/16 and 9.5 or 12 radius, I don't get it.

I believe Fender MiM Classic models still have 7.5 radiused fretboards, 50`s Baja model Tele has big V-neck with 7.5 fretboard. I own 7 Classic Fenders, all have 7.5 necks.

User Info Menu

Yes. I believe Fender has been pretty good about having the MIM roll out with the classic specs on the necks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by savofenno
    I believe Fender MiM Classic models still have 7.5 radiused fretboards, 50`s Baja model Tele has big V-neck with 7.5 fretboard. I own 7 Classic Fenders, all have 7.5 necks.
    Not to sound like a snob, but I prefer MiA. What I see currently Tele Special, Professional, Elite series, non of them have it.

My fav neck ever is AVRI 64' tele. I might need another one like that for my partcaster, so I'm looking on Reverb, especially Stratosphere store where you can buy necks and bodies separate, and all they list those new Fender necks with nothing like what I'm looking for. I'm all for variety, but doesn't seem like Fender cares about their own tradition!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waltf
    Picked this up few months ago.. 84 fender japan all rosewood (not laminated like the recent ones).
    Heavy but plays and sounds amazing.
    thats the george harrison tele!!..he used it on the rooftop concert

later gave it to delaney bramlett

super cool tele but heavy!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I guess you're missing that it's not everyone's fav specs. It would be the least comfortable for me to play this kind of neck.
    Ah, well. I ordered my G&L with a 12" radius, but you can order them with 7.5" radius (G&L's take on 7.25) and a 1 5/8" nut. And I quite like those jumbo MFD pups for jazz.

User Info Menu

The G&L 12" radius 1.75" nut is THE modern recipe. It's what the modern player prefers. Check out Umphreys McGee at their next concert. (Those guys can really play, by the way.)

I was just having a nostalgic moment above for the Fenders from the 50s-70s that had the narrower nut and very curved neck radius. I grew up on them (two Stratocasters an Esquire and a Telecaster--a '65, a '68, a '57, and a '69, respectively). Those guitars sounded great and were wonderful for country, Western swing, blues, rock, and even jazz.

Compared to those guitars, all other guitars have necks that look like classical guitars--especially my '65 Stratocaster, which feature a B-neck. It was 7.5" radius with a 1-5/8" nut. (The A-neck actually had a 1-1/2" nut!) My Esquire and Telecaster were also B-necks. The '68 Stratocaster--which I kept for 45 years--featured a C-neck (1-3/4" nut).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    A And I quite like those jumbo MFD pups for jazz.
    yes mfd great pups...by leo fender!!...in the jazzmaster pickup ballpark..big single coil tone

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    The G&L 12" radius 1.75" nut is THE modern recipe. It's what the modern player prefers. Check out Umphreys McGee at their next concert. (Those guys can really play, by the way.)

I was just having a nostalgic moment above for the Fenders from the 50s-70s that had the narrower nut and very curved neck radius. I grew up on them (two Stratocasters an Esquire and a Telecaster--a '65, a '68, a '57, and a '69, respectively). Those guitars sounded great and were wonderful for country, Western swing, blues, rock, and even jazz.

Compared to those guitars, all other guitars have necks that look like classical guitars--especially my '65 Stratocaster, which feature a B-neck. It was 7.5" radius with a 1-5/8" nut. (The A-neck actually had a 1-1/2" nut!) My Esquire and Telecaster were also B-necks. The '68 Stratocaster--which I kept for 45 years--featured a C-neck (1-3/4" nut).
    For myself, it's not even a nostalgic moment- I never owned anything that vintage from Fender! 5 years ago I didn't even know anything about this stuff with radius and nut width. All I knew some Fenders were very comfortable to play, and almost no Gibson I ever played was.

As I gravitated more and more into rhythm playing, I noticed some guitars made my left hand cramping. I still didn't make a connection, but once I got my first hollowbody Guild x-175 RI, it was such a breakthrough in playability! I wondered why no Gibsons ever felt that good, and thats where I found out narrower necks and smaller radius is the perfect match for me.

I also found out that majority prefers the opposite, ha. I keep talking about it on forums and whatnot so whoever wants to know might notice there are people who do prefer different specs. Looks like I'm very much in minority though

Here she is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Very sweet! How does she play?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Very sweet! How does she play?
    Alright.sent it to the shop for a set up and fret shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

+1 Love my teles! I have a 60 and 63 Fender CS Reissues. They are light and resonant - both with rosewood boards (Lake Placid Blue/Tortoise/Rosewood and 3 Color Sunburst/White/Rosewood + Double bound). Nothing like them!

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_8251-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_7542-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waltf
    Heavy but plays and sounds amazing. Probably not staying forever as I prefer my es-175 but I couldn't
    let this one pass.

fender japan all rosewood by wout b, on Flickr
    May I ask what you paid for this?

User Info Menu

I just received last month this Hahn 'Model C' (designed in collaboration with Jim Campilongo). A limited-run, no-frills guitar with a basic, thin finish, Fralin pickups, pine body and compensated radius fretboard. Can be strung through the body or as a top-loader. It's just a great T-style guitar.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_5474-jpg
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-modelcheadstockback-jpg
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_5462-jpg

User Info Menu

This thread helped me make the jump to jazzish guitar. Still working toward actual jazz. Found a good used deluxe, hated the N3 so gutted it and replaced all electronics vintage style with fender 52s. Sounds great. Compound fretboard is nicer than I expected 10-14. I can get the sound I want from round 9s and my 5 watt Ampeg.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-image-jpg