The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 36 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
Posts 876 to 900 of 2241

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzz
    Just got my first tele, a 50s roadworn. Now looking for a practice amp for under about $200 w nice delay/reverb for jazz. Love the delay on my Blackstar Fly 3, and like the Vox amplug too. Any suggestions?Attachment 42906
    You should be able to grab A Roland Cube 60 or 80 for that price. The JC sound on the cube is good not great. Unbeatable durability at that price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu

Yep, that will be why. For the 4-way mod you need that extra ground wire from the neck pickup. Some pickup makers offer it as an option so you don't have to do it yourself (like your TSs and my BKs).

I really like the beefiness of the serial position as an option, but it doesn't replace the three stock positions. I feel like the 4-way doesn't really have any downsides... you just have another option that you can choose to use or not.
    I saw it as a "downside", because I discovered it was a position that I would never use... it was always too woofy... maybe because both my pickups are on the hot side? IDK. But I didn't want the serial position "available" to me to accidentally switch to, so I put the 3-way back in.

waiting on electronics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have a tele body which is routed for a neck humbucker size pickup - it's been sitting around for over a year, but I think I'm finally going to get on with stripping and re-finishing it, and also buy a nice neck to fit. I have a nice broadcaster type bridge pickup, and also a GFS Surf 90 which I remember liking, that should go well in the neck position. So - a dilemma for me at the moment is rosewood fingerboard, or a one-piece maple neck. Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

If you don't have another Fender type with a one piece maple neck I would be tempted to go that route. Unique and somewhat original at the same time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    If you don't have another Fender type with a one piece maple neck I would be tempted to go that route. Unique and somewhat original at the same time.
    Appreciate your post, thanks! As it happens, I do already have a partscaster tele I made with a one piece maple neck. I guess I was more interested to know if forum members have any particular personal favourite neck type for a tele, and their reasons/thinking about that - especially in respect of using a tele for playing jazz.

User Info Menu

I have quartersawn maple with an ebony fingerboard on my Tele partscaster. One piece quartersawn maple for my Strat partscaster. Variety is the spice of partscasters I really don't think in terms of most particular guitar parts and jazz playing. Anything will work IMHO.
    Last edited by lammie200; 06-04-2017 at 06:35 PM.

User Info Menu

I have both, and like them both. The feel is very different, to be sure, but definitely not a problem.

User Info Menu

Just got my first tele, a 50s roadworn. Now looking for a practice amp for under about $200 w nice delay/reverb for jazz. Love the delay on my Blackstar Fly 3, and like the Vox amplug too. Any suggestions?Attachment 42906
    I suggest you grab a Mustang or – if a used one is available in your area – a Super Champ X2. Both wonderful practice and recording amps (never mind the factory presets ).
    The THR series is also awesome (THR10C, specifically).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    I have quartersawn maple with an ebony fingerboard on my Tele partscaster. One piece quartersawn maple for my Strat partscaster. Variety is the spice of partscasters I really don't think in terms of most particular guitar parts and jazz playing. Anything will work IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I have both, and like them both. The feel is very different, to be sure, but definitely not a problem.
    I have strat partscasters, one with ebony board/quatersawn maple, one with one piece maple, and the tele partscaster with one piece maple. So rosewood ought to be a good choice from the variety point of view, and I do know where I can get a very nice rosewood board/quarter sawn maple neck for a good price. I guess I'm leaning towards that one. But then I do also have 3 other guitars that I like and play constantly for jazz use, all with rosewood boards. Still... yes - probably has to be the rosewood - the idea of combining the slightly softer feel of that with the Surf 90 neck pickup does appeal, I think that would work well.

Appreciate the replies, thanks

I love playing archtops, but the idea of a Telecaster always interested me. After discovering Julien Lage, I was hooked on the Telecaster. Being a student currently studying his Bachelors of Music Education, I did not have a huge budget. I did find a used Squire Classic Vibe Thinline, and I love it to bits. All it needs are some fresh pickups, and it would be complete. Does anyone have any advice for good pickups to install? I am looking for that warm single-coil jazz tele sound and my amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I.

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed.

[Video for Reference]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Parker Schaefer
    I love playing archtops, but the idea of a Telecaster always interested me. After discovering Julien Lage, I was hooked on the Telecaster. Being a student currently studying his Bachelors of Music Education, I did not have a huge budget. I did find a used Squire Classic Vibe Thinline, and I love it to bits. All it needs are some fresh pickups, and it would be complete. Does anyone have any advice for good pickups to install? I am looking for that warm single-coil jazz tele sound and my amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I.

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed.

[Video for Reference]
    I really like Klein pickups. I installed a JazzyKat single coil into a partscaster and I love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Parker Schaefer
    If I'm not wrong those thinline come with the same Alnico V pickups that I have in my CV 50's BB. Those pickup sound fantastic you can easily get that warm tone you're looking for. If you still want to change pickups I'd go for Fender OV52, not expensive and hard to beat for that vintage tele sound.

User Info Menu

Here's my modified tele, that started its life as RI 64's with regular single coils, but ended up like this. Filtertrons rule baby! At least in my world heheh

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-tele-w-filters-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radiofm74
    I suggest you grab a Mustang or – if a used one is available in your area – a Super Champ X2. Both wonderful practice and recording amps (never mind the factory presets ).
    The THR series is also awesome (THR10C, specifically).
    Thanks - Spent a lot of time in the store trying out all the smaller sized amps with good clean tones, and narrowed it down to the Yamaha THR10C and the Fender Champion. Was leaning toward the Champion as the Yamaha had a terrible hum that the staff and I chalked up to my Roadworn's single coils. Then I saw posts online about THR10C hum and almost gave up on it. But the sound was so rich, and then I saw a Youtube post w additional mellow sounds available online and decided to take a chance that the hum was resolved in the Version 2, and that the store was just electrically overcommitted. Bought it somewhat on impulse as it cost 3x as much as the Champion, but when I got it home, and threw some batteries in, there was amazingly zero amp hum, even with the single coils. What rich clean sounds, the bass goes right through you, and the hall reverb fills the apartment. Well worth the extra bucks. Can't wait to take it online and tweak the presets. A tele, the THRC, and the Drum Genius app through the Aux input, finally got my jazz tele setup!

User Info Menu

I bought a Squier Classic Vibe 50s and I love it. It's all I've played for the last several weeks. I don't want to change a thing. One (Tele) and done.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I bought a Squier Classic Vibe 50s and I love it. It's all I've played for the last several weeks. I don't want to change a thing. One (Tele) and done.
    That's how it begans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    Appreciate your post, thanks! As it happens, I do already have a partscaster tele I made with a one piece maple neck. I guess I was more interested to know if forum members have any particular personal favourite neck type for a tele, and their reasons/thinking about that - especially in respect of using a tele for playing jazz.
    I have a Strat with a Warmoth roasted maple neck and board. No finish required, feels silky smooth and is a great neck.

User Info Menu

I just returned from a gig tonight where I took two guitars in a double gig bag. One was my relic'd Nash T52. I was carrying the guitars into the house in the dark, and I noticed the bag felt like it was too light for two guitars. I double checked; sure enough the Nash was missing! For some reason I forgot to zip up the bottom of one side of the bag and the Nash fell out. I ran back up my graveled driveway and there it was, the Nash laying face down in the rocks. But what'cha know, since it was relic'd, I couldn't find one new scratch on her. And of course, I was luck there was no real damage like broken parts or anything. So there you go -- I guess dropping it on a rocky driveway adds a new conviction to a road-worn instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopeddy
    I just returned from a gig tonight where I took two guitars in a double gig bag. One was my relic'd Nash T52. I was carrying the guitars into the house in the dark, and I noticed the bag felt like it was too light for two guitars. I double checked; sure enough the Nash was missing! For some reason I forgot to zip up the bottom of one side of the bag and the Nash fell out. I ran back up my graveled driveway and there it was, the Nash laying face down in the rocks. But what'cha know, since it was relic'd, I couldn't find one new scratch on her. And of course, I was luck there was no real damage like broken parts or anything. So there you go -- I guess dropping it on a rocky driveway adds a new conviction to a road-worn instrument.
    Well, it's a tele, so you might want to check the rocks in your driveway for damage.

User Info Menu

Also doubles as a Canoe Paddle or Life Preserver depending on the need!

User Info Menu

Thanks - Spent a lot of time in the store trying out all the smaller sized amps with good clean tones, and narrowed it down to the Yamaha THR10C and the Fender Champion. Was leaning toward the Champion as the Yamaha had a terrible hum that the staff and I chalked up to my Roadworn's single coils. Then I saw posts online about THR10C hum and almost gave up on it. But the sound was so rich, and then I saw a Youtube post w additional mellow sounds available online and decided to take a chance that the hum was resolved in the Version 2, and that the store was just electrically overcommitted. Bought it somewhat on impulse as it cost 3x as much as the Champion, but when I got it home, and threw some batteries in, there was amazingly zero amp hum, even with the single coils. What rich clean sounds, the bass goes right through you, and the hall reverb fills the apartment. Well worth the extra bucks. Can't wait to take it online and tweak the presets. A tele, the THRC, and the Drum Genius app through the Aux input, finally got my jazz tele setup!
    For jazz guitar sounds, fiddle around with the Bass and Acoustic amp models. Nice, nice sounds to be had, especially with a solidbody!

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-squire-1-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-squire-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Any preferences among looper and drum pedals for Tele Jazz?

User Info Menu

Any preferences among looper and drum pedals for Tele Jazz?
    Ditto X4 or Boomerang Phrase Sampler.