The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 30 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
Posts 726 to 750 of 2241

User Info Menu

Since I was looking for a more modern Tele, to complement my Squier CV and my 72 custom I pulled the trigger on the Suhr Modern T. Can't wait to play that beast

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've got a '68 in natural finish and an L5 copy. Used the Tele for rock/blues but as it's been suggested that when

Stumbling fingers still need love ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by R Neil
    I've got a '68 in natural finish and an L5 copy. Used the Tele for rock/blues but as it's been suggested that when

Posting from the phone ... sigh.

It's been suggested that when I get the new 15" speaker set up for my place Ampeg tube amp I use with the archtop I just might like to try jazzing through that with the Tele.

I do try and remain teachable ... and as I've got dead strings on the Tele, what would y'all suggest? I use D'Addario flats .013/.056 on the archtop. A local store has the ECG24 "Light jazz" strings in stock.

Would that be apropos? And still moderately rock-able?
    Quote Originally Posted by eigenbart
    Since I was looking for a more modern Tele, to complement my Squier CV and my 72 custom I pulled the trigger on the Suhr Modern T. Can't wait to play that beast

User Info Menu

Posting from the phone ... sigh.

It's been suggested that when I get the new 15" speaker set up for my place Ampeg tube amp I use with the archtop I just might like to try jazzing through that with the Tele.

I do try and remain teachable ... and as I've got dead strings on the Tele, what would y'all suggest? I use D'Addario flats .013/.056 on the archtop. A local store has the ECG24 "Light jazz" strings in stock.

Would that be apropos? And still moderately rock-able?

D'Adds Pure nickel roundwounds in 12's with the wound G!
    Oh heaven......

Mercy mercy........

User Info Menu

Seriously tho' I had flatwound 12's that were really great but I thought I'd try the roundwounds with a wound G with a pickup upgrade. what a revelation. Tele + roundwounds + brass saddles × AlNiCo II magnets = sonical intercourse.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    Seriously tho' I had flatwound 12's that were really great but I thought I'd try the roundwounds with a wound G with a pickup upgrade. what a revelation. Tele + roundwounds + brass saddles × AlNiCo II magnets = sonical intercourse.
    Hey ... I'm a total noob here ... needing Enlightenment on this forum's practices as bad as on jazz git-boxing. I'm not even certain what NGD sands for ... new guitar discussion? Lecture me ... please! Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed

User Info Menu

Man, I might need to try rounds again on mine.

Right now, I'm still happy with the chromes. 012's, but replacing the high E and b wit those from a set of .013s.

And then of course, I try bending. Ow.

Rediscovering a little "bridge pickup"fun.

User Info Menu

Had no idea what a '68 Tele could be worth till I went on here and saw the prices guys were paying.

Wow. That's not a cheap piece of wood ... Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed

Guess I should be nice to it at least ...

There you go right there, 'Wow, that's not a cheap piece of wood'. It beggars belief that so much value can be attributed to a piece of wood, even at its new MRRP.

I was selling my 69' Fender Prescision back in the early 90's as a players guitar not a collector's piece.
    It was refinished in gloss black, had a D tuner and active pickups. I sold it for a profit but as I had placed an advert in Melody Maker I was getting all sorts of phone calls. This one guy rang up and started to chastise me over changing the pickups and ruining a vintage instrument. I kindly told him to back off. Twat.

Yes, buying a piece of gUttar shaped wood nowadays is somewhat fraught for the miserly and tight fisted.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I guess I'm just playing with myself, because I'm still using flat wounds -- George Benson 14's.
    Hey man, it's still cool to hump with the thunk....

User Info Menu

Resistance was futile...
    After 6 years of witnessing all the tele love here sometimes wondering if I am not on tdpri, I plan start a tele parts caster little project as a christmas gift to myself. Franklearns thread was somehow inspiring.
    BUT and there is a big one, I am before everything a Gibson player so don't expect from me a jangling, twangling type of instrument; I want to enjoy the 25.5 scale with still a darker Gibson approach.
    Mahogany neck and body, ebony fretboard, dual humbucker configuration, back cavity control access.
    Now shall I go for string through or top strung, if I am more into sustain ? I have read contradicting information on that...

User Info Menu

There's a big difference between those of "a certain age" who play as much for themselves and the enjoyment of a glass of very fine wine while playing a beautifully crafted instrument ... and the younger crowd learning and polishing their craft on whatever blocks of wood they can afford. While trying to make a living on their craft.

Naturally they look at "value" differently. When I got that Tele I had an LP knock-off that played very nicely ... but had pups that were kind of a muddy growl though I did find out it sounded cool doing slide blues rock.

Bought for about $150.

I bought that L5 Lyle for about that also. Wasn't a great guitar as the didn't play too well and sounded a heck of a lot better acoustic than amped. It looked cool though.

Well... that old jazzer noted that the wood bridge that came with it couldn't be set for accurate tuning so I got an adjustable bridge top as on the Gibsons with one and wow ... better.

Then he got a pair of pups & pots appropriate to it ... vast improvement. Then on reading up and talking around in ceded the neck carefully... there were moderately thick frets with high and low spots. So I carefully filed across the frets to even things out and took it back to Will's shop with flats on it for the first time. By then it was rather too close to his Super 400 for his comfort.

I thought him silly. A Super-4 this ain't. But ... a nice sounding and playing rig it was. $150 or so at purchase ... another $175 or $200 for pups, pots, and bridge ... not a bad box for $350. Oh ... a good hardshell case was over $100 also so I've got about $500 in it.

The working young bucks get by pretty nice with a knock-off Tele for the most part. But I will say ... it's pretty darn sweet to play with that Fender logo there .... Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    Resistance was futile...
    After 6 years of witnessing all the tele love here sometimes wondering if I am not on tdpri, I plan start a tele parts caster little project as a christmas gift to myself. Franklearns thread was somehow inspiring.
    BUT and there is a big one, I am before everything a Gibson player so don't expect from me a jangling, twangling type of instrument; I want to enjoy the 25.5 scale with still a darker Gibson approach.
    Mahogany neck and body, ebony fretboard, dual humbucker configuration, back cavity control access.
    Now shall I go for string through or top strung, if I am more into sustain ? I have read contradicting information on that...
    Hi VLDR
    A noble quest indeed.

I like the idea of a mahogany neck and a Gibson scale neck.

I always attribute the loooooongg sussstaaiiiiin to brasssssss saddlessss.

Did you see some of those Tele-Rickenbacker hybrids I posted on this thread a long way back. they had a carve on the body to facilitate a Ricky type tailpiece. There's a thought, tailpiece + TOM + neck humbucker + Gibson scale mahogany neck.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-banningtelebacker-1_zps1c0a5516-jpg
    Very twang but could be thunk

User Info Menu

Mahogany body and neck - Gibson scale
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-newtelecaster-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah man

Great... the tele and the Gibson are remarkably close in tone. I could listen to playing like that all day long!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    Resistance was futile...
    great vinlander! Let us knw how it goes! I am glad that this little build thread was an inspiration :-) It was fun and I am happy with the result. A mahogany tele sounds with an ebony board like a great idea! I would personally go with string through. As much as I understand this will have more string tension. The brass saddles will help too with sustain. You are unlikely to reach the sustain of a set neck Les Paul though.

User Info Menu

I’ve put DR Pure Blues .11s on both my teles. Great for jazz tone, and still very bendable. An option to consider…

User Info Menu

Ted Greene checking out a G&L ASAT. Hold the phone - love this...

User Info Menu

I saw my old GIT teacher Steve Trovato playing one of these LSL Telecasters. Really, really nice.

I have no connection to this seller, but ain't this one sexy? I keep going back to Reverb.com to peek at it. What is wrong with me? I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...I don't need another guitar...But I don't have a tele with a maple fretboard either...

LSL T-Bone 2015 Antique White - Offers needed | Reverb

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-k8lrcylp6tkhlk5f6iba-jpg

User Info Menu

Does a Tele work through a Polytone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Does a Tele work through a Polytone?
    A Tele works through everything and everything works through a Polytone. I wish I still had my Polytone to go with my current Tele...

User Info Menu

Um ... don't all Tele's have maple necks? Mine does .... plays nice ... Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed
    not all.
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-george_harrison_rosewood_telecaster_1968_guitar-jpg

User Info Menu

Just had to tease a bit. The maple necks like mine can get the finish worn off. I don't think the rosewood ones are finished ... are they?

User Info Menu

What do you guys think about this: in my Modern Player Thinline P90 Tele I have 250k pots and .047uf caps. Gibson typically uses 500k pots and a .022uf cap. I like the way the P90 sounds in my ES-125 better than the P90s in my thinline Tele.... maybe not a fair comparison and of course there are many more differences but I won a complete Epiphone wiring harness with switch, 500k full size Alpha pots and .022 caps on ebay (for only $5, ha!) and I will install that and see if it makes a difference. I am going to hook it up '50s wiring-style' and I think it will open the guitar up and make it even better (for the little money it's already an astonishing good guitar!). The only downside: shipping is so cheap it will arrive only in January......

(Well what can I say...I'm a tinkerer suffering from MOD-syndrome......)

User Info Menu

Sorry if I missed it in the first 38 pages of this thread but are any of you playing the Road Worn 50's Tele's? If so I'd love to hear your impressions.

I went to a big box store today to get some strings and just have a look around and the Road Worn I picked up felt perfect. Love the neck shape and the light weight of it. So now I have a dilemma because I really tend to hate the fake relic stuff on an aesthetic level but it ticks all the boxes otherwise. Does the Classic 50's w the nitro finish have the same neck profile? Would love to have a blackguard style Tele with nitro finish without spending AVRI money.
    Last edited by 50Hz; 12-21-2016 at 09:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 50Hz
    Sorry if I missed it in the first 38 pages of this thread but are any of you playing the Road Worn 50's Tele's? If so I'd love to hear your impressions.

I went to a big box store today to get some strings and just have a look around and the Road Worn I picked up felt perfect. Love the neck shape and the light weight of it. So now I have a dilemma because I really tend to hate the fake relic stuff on an aesthetic level but it ticks all the boxes otherwise. Does the Classic 50's w the nitro finish have the same neck profile? Would love to have a blackguard style Tele with nitro finish without spending AVRI money.