The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 90 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 2248

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Clapton is V neck, thats exactly opposite I think, no shoulders at all. I actually email most of those guys, they all told me they are not sure what the D profile is in connection to Fender tele, they never heard of it.

I'm also considering just buying 58 RI neck, I saw it on Ebay, licensed Fender. But ideally I want rosewood, so I dunno...
    From what I can tell Fender doesn't make any of their bigger necks the Soft-V's or U shape with rosewood. I like the Soft-V's but they vary I have one from a 60th Anniversary Baja tele more round than V and a new Baja Tele that is slightly more V but not much, then a Soft-V strat neck that is move V shaped. The current Fender American Vintage '52 Telecaster has the U shaped neck like the Nocaster.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I found this chart maybe you can send it to companies to show what you want.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-neckshape-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    The reason I was trying them out, I'm planning one day to built my own tele from parts, either from Warmoth, or Musikcraft, All Parts, or any of those builders.

After I figure out what neck I need, I immediately looked up Fender specs on 58 RI, and it says the D-profile! I guess it's not as deep as U, but has a lot of shoulders.

well, at least I know what I want, because only recently I realized how much a neck specs affect playing!
    HTTJ, From what you describe and by looking at Docbop's neck chart I'm thinking you're describing the deep U or baseball bat neck shape.

If you're checking out necks to make a 'Bitsa' Tele you should check out the Squire Vintage Vibe necks. Perfectly good and less coin.

Talking about Squire necks check out the J Mascis Jazzmaster neck, it is quite wide and full in the hand (Ooer!).

User Info Menu

give me a baseball bat U shape neck any time .... takes a few days to get used to if you usually play modern tele necks ....well it did for me when i got my 1st one ........but once you made that adjustment it just feels perfect .... and the necks you been liking feel like toy instruments ... and a big fat neck usually translates into a big tone too... the neck plays a huge role in tone somewhat more than we give it credit for

User Info Menu

I'm with Keira on the big U neck for Telecasters. +1

Say, the Guthrie Trapp piece reminds me of the late Danny Gatton, if he were playing an Umphrey's Mcgee chart.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    HTTJ, From what you describe and by looking at Docbop's neck chart I'm thinking you're describing the deep U or baseball bat neck shape.

If you're checking out necks to make a 'Bitsa' Tele you should check out the Squire Vintage Vibe necks. Perfectly good and less coin.

Talking about Squire necks check out the J Mascis Jazzmaster neck, it is quite wide and full in the hand (Ooer!).
    Well, Vintage 52 RI has deep U neck, and it's different from 58 that I played side by side. It's not as deep as U for sure. Baseball bat necks are good too, they would be my 2nd choice.

I remember on Guild website a neck I think is the same profile described as soft U, so maybe that's better than D for description.

User Info Menu

Keith's playing on Jobim's "Meditation" is excellent. The tone he gets from the Telecaster is superb. You simply cannot go wrong with a Telecaster.

Two years ago, I owned two...now: none! I am going to have to do something about that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Keith's playing on Jobim's "Meditation" is excellent. The tone he gets from the Telecaster is superb. You simply cannot go wrong with a Telecaster.

Two years ago, I owned two...now: none! I am going to have to do something about that.

Check out the Fender Baja Tele's they have a nice chunky neck and being a MIM model they are only $700 or less if you find a close-out like I did. Put a Joe Barton bridge plate on and you have an amazing guitar for under a grand.

User Info Menu

Nothing against the bridge pup, but jazz is about the neck pup. Has anyone put in a second "~neck" pup hard by the first one, for variety? Like having a P-90 and a HB?

User Info Menu

Here's my latest Tele, I found a deal on it a Fender FSR Baja Tele in gold metal flake finish. I love the Baja Tele neck a Soft-V not quite as big as the U neck, but has the flatter 9.5 radius versus the 7.5.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-goldie-1-cropped-jpg

User Info Menu

This has been my #1 for quite a while. I added the humbucker.
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-12243485_10153896297461535_4859362679893626215_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben
    This has been my #1 for quite a while. I added the humbucker.
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-12243485_10153896297461535_4859362679893626215_n-jpg
    Nice looking axe! Is that a Fender Deluxe Thinline?

Can you practice acoustically with it, and hear it better than a Tele without the F-hole?
    How is it for non-fusion jazz?
    Does the humbucker make a big difference for jazz than the original pickup?
    TIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Nice looking axe! Is that a Fender Deluxe Thinline?

Can you practice acoustically with it, and hear it better than a Tele without the F-hole?
    How is it for non-fusion jazz?
    Does the humbucker make a big difference for jazz than the original pickup?
    TIA
    Thanks! It's an MIM '69 Thinline Reissue. Mahogany. It is slightly louder than my solidbodies when played unplugged, but by no means as loud as an acoustic or archtop. The humbucker is a Bartolini jazz humbucker. I'm fortunate that the bass player in my band (not jazz) works there and hooked me up. It sounds awesome! Clean and mellow it gets great jazz tone to my ears. With a little drive it's my favorite slide pickup ever, which is my primary role in the band. Also, it's low enough output to still match the bridge single coil well. The bridge pickup is a Duncan 5/2. It's a very versatile guitar, as most teles are. Easy on the shoulder, great neck, looks cool (to me), and sounds great (to me).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone

Thanks Wizard and Greentone. I took the tele on its first gig the other night and was very pleased with the sound. I understand why people like them so much. I think it's a keeper.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Anybody know about Blade guitars? Made in Korea, finished in Switzerland. I saw a few of them in a store today, two strats and one tele (I'm considering buying a tele this year). Visually they just oozed quality.

User Info Menu

I wish this tele was mine:

I recently stumbled upon Uncle Doug's videos. Most are about vintage tube amps, very informative and interesting!

I finally put my Tele, which I bought new in 1998 or so, on consignment in my town. Now that I no longer play rockabilly and play jazz only, I have no further use for such a crude instrument.

Have yet to buy an archtop, but in the mean time, I'm very pleased to be playing jazz on a Breedlove.

User Info Menu

Don't do it!!!

My tele was my main guitar for 15 years...then I got into jazz, and thought I needed an archtop...and I bought and sold a few, kept a few...tried a semi hollow...but a few years later, the tele was my main axe again, and still is right now. I like my other guitars too...but my tele's going NOWHERE.

Every guitar player should have one.

User Info Menu

yeah teles are the best, I'm gonna hang out at tdpri til I'm sick of teles

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostofachance
    I finally put my Tele, which I bought new in 1998 or so, on consignment in my town. Now that I no longer play rockabilly and play jazz only, I have no further use for such a crude instrument.

Have yet to buy an archtop, but in the mean time, I'm very pleased to be playing jazz on a Breedlove.
    You'll learn the error in your thinking. Jazz is about legato and singing sustain is what Tele's are all about plus clarity for chord almost piano like. Tele's are like Hotel California you can trade it away, but another will reappear in the future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    Anybody know about Blade guitars? Made in Korea, finished in Switzerland. I saw a few of them in a store today, two strats and one tele (I'm considering buying a tele this year). Visually they just oozed quality.

A guitar teacher of mine had one of their Strats--this is about twenty years ago--and it looked, felt and sounded great. I was occasionally allowed to play it. At the time I had a US made G&L Climax, which was a also a great guitar, and IMO the Blade was of a similar quality. And FWIW I'm a big G&L fan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Careful there. Spoken like a guitar owner instead of a player
    Hey, I'm trying. I just found my first non hollowbody with tone I could embrace! This cat swings!

Lorne Lofsky?
    Strat, or tele?

User Info Menu

Lorne has been playing an Ibanez for a long time. He used EMG pickups, IIRC. He had a longstanding musical relationship with Ed Bickert; they put out a few albums together.

User Info Menu

Being a primarily jazz-like guitarist, I've been building a nice collection of guitars that suit my tastes and style of playing.
    I realized that I was missing something...A TELECASTER!

So, while I'm killing time, stuck here in Boca Raton for a month, as my Lady Friend studies classical piano, I got to try out 10 different telecasters from several dealers. After extensive auditions, the winner is:

I have to say, I bonded with this MIM FSR Tele almost immediately. There were 2 available and this was the winner. I must admit, I really really wanted to love the AVRI 52 or the more expensive American models, but bottom line, this one nailed it for me! Especially now that I strung it with 49-11s, a super light gauge for me, as I'm used to 56-13s, but perfect on this guitar! 😄

I MAY want to change the neck pickup. I'll have to wait until I get home and play it through my amps. Thinking it might need a little warmer, smoother sounding pup.
    Any thoughts/recommendations?
    Last edited by gspirro1; 02-02-2016 at 12:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gspirro1

I MAY want to change the neck pickup. I'll have to wait until I get home and play it through my amps. Thinking it might need a little warmer, smoother sounding pup.
    Any thoughts/recommendations?
    I'd consider a humbucker, like the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover. Peek under the pickguard. I think MIMs are routed for neck HBs.