The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 2242

User Info Menu

Christianm77,
    The man is a jazz athlete gold standard the drummer was amazing too. Nice choice thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a nice doublebound homebuilt mahogany Tele, the Cobracaster...
    It has a lightweight 1pc body, good hardware, & a neck by Ian Anderson.
    The pix show a Lollar CC pickup, but it didn't match well with the bridge PU.
    It's now sporting a Lollar Firebird neck PU, which is a far better match.
    Tonally it sounds like a Tele should, not dark or muddy.
    I use it for bluesy jump swing pseudo jazz, & it fills that role well.

User Info Menu

Here's mine! Homemade from a 2x8 from Home Depot with maple cap. 20 year old Allparts neck, Bill Lawrence Keystone in bridge and Charlie Christian by somebody in Nashville whose name I don't recall. It's been my ONLY electric guitar for years - does everything I need.
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-mytele1-jpg

User Info Menu

Here are my two Fender telecasters.
    The celadon green is a '59 Custom Shop and the other is a '52 reissue.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-p1030444-jpg

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0982-jpg

This looks very similar to your guitar, Flat, but it's from 1961 and has a Jazzmaster neck of the same vintage. It's not mine, but I've borrowed it from the original owner a few times. It's a pretty iconic guitar. Anybody recognize it?

User Info Menu

I don't recognize that tele, unknownguitarplayer--but I definitely can dig it.

A lot of cats here are going for the sort of perfect "jazz tele" -- modded or built from various parts. (I've got a sonic blue body and a mahogany neck in the closet waiting to get hitched someday, for example. Thinking the mahogany will roll off some ice pick trebles, maybe a Lollar CC or humbucker neck pickup, hmmm, etc.)

And yet never in a million years would I have thought of just putting a Jazzmaster neck on a tele! Too much uptown for the downtown, if you know what I mean.

But I look at your photo and think, "Now that's the jazz guitar Leo should have made. Just put a "jazzy" neck on a tele and be done with it!"

I wonder if Fender ever considered that? You'd think the Henry Ford of guitar would have been all over the idea of interchangeable parts.

Seeing neck binding on a Fender solidbody reminds me of Eric Johnson's recent signature Strats with rosewood boards. Very distinctive.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-fender-eric-johnson-stratocaster-dakota-red-rosewood-217174-jpg

Looking forward to see if anyone recognizes your lovely frankenstein...
    Last edited by Flat; 08-30-2015 at 02:00 PM.

User Info Menu

I would like to try a Filtertron in the neck position on a Tele. Combined with a twangy Tele bridge pickup it would make for a very versatile guitar.

User Info Menu

Lacking access to a good pic, so instead a quick video of mine...

96 Am. Std, pickups are original...not much else! Glendale 3 saddle bridge, mjnt green p/g, warmoth boatneck with ebony board, and now fender locking tuners.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by unknownguitarplayer
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0982-jpg

This looks very similar to your guitar, Flat, but it's from 1961 and has a Jazzmaster neck of the same vintage. It's not mine, but I've borrowed it from the original owner a few times. It's a pretty iconic guitar. Anybody recognize it?
    Is it the tele used by the Funk Brother Joe Messina on most Motown tunes?
    Last edited by boatheelmusic; 08-30-2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: correct autospell!!

User Info Menu

I think you mean Joe, but i also think you're right.

User Info Menu

Fender Japan did a limited run of 'Joe Messina' Teles some years ago:

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-funkmathinetl-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice tone, Jeff- what strings are you using?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatheelmusic
    Nice tone, Jeff- what strings are you using?
    Chromes, .12's. I pretty much just put 'em on every guitar now.

User Info Menu

Ok, I'll bite. Here's my American special Tele. I just got it recently.

User Info Menu

Yep, it's Joe's guitar. He's got another one that's identical, but pretty beat up. He switched over to an Ibanez archtop a few years ago and doesn't play the Tele anymore.

User Info Menu

Did Fender make that for Joe? Or was it something he or his luthier put together? Do you happen to know?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Chromes, .12's. I pretty much just put 'em on every guitar now.
    I tried the chrome 12's on my tele, but the tension!!!!

love them on my ES175.

User Info Menu

Skip Ellis, great looking git. Flame maple I feel is sometimes hard to do classy on a tele, feels like putting a suit on a 2x4 but this looks great.
    Last edited by Ric Lee; 08-30-2015 at 07:03 PM.

User Info Menu

I dunno...class up a tele too much...it kinda defeats the purpose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I dunno...class up a tele too much...it kinda defeats the purpose.
    yeah that's how I feel about Tele's that are super duper deluxe especially some of that fender shop one-off 10's of thousands deal.

Loving your super deluxe tone with that Roland Micro-Cube. Sounds great. I accidentally had two videos playing when I clicked play in Youtube and there was some epic delayed reverb tele going on!
    Last edited by Ric Lee; 08-30-2015 at 07:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a MIJ '62 Custom Telecaster, Candy Apple Red. It has the stock pickups and wiring still, but it does have a very nice jazz sound. I still prefer to use my archtops for jazz, the Tele has a bit too much sustain and doesn't have the springy 'thunky' sound of the archtop. Flatwounds would probably get closer to that, but I also like the trebly snap that roundwounds deliver on a Tele. I've ordered some Bill Lawrence microcoils for it, by all accounts they are incredible pickups, it will be interesting to see how they compare to the stock pickups.

User Info Menu

Joe had a Tele (it was a white one, not the one shown) and Fender gave him the neck after he did a clinic for them in a Detroit music store. He switched out the neck himself, and also modified the bridge by separating E and B string saddles. A bit later they gave him another Tele (the one in the pictures) with an extra neck.

As far classing up a Tele too much, or trying to make it something it isn't, Joe refers to his as a "pizza board".

User Info Menu

Here's my Hahn 228
    Last edited by 55bar; 09-01-2015 at 03:04 AM.

User Info Menu

And here is Nate Radley playing his!

User Info Menu

wildwood tele with humbucker has been seeing a lot of action since I got it this year, from rock to jazz. it's just the thing