The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 79 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
Posts 1,951 to 1,975 of 2241

User Info Menu

Memories aside, note the two extra pots/knobs like at 0:41. Their position seems logical (sort of, given the supposed routing underneath the pickguard), but exactly what did (or still do) they do?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

I got a '21 Player Tele a few weeks ago and I'd like to make a few changes which are as follows.

Santa bought a Lollar CC pick up so I'm sorted there but I'm looking for brass compensated saddles and bridge plate from the EU (so no import charges). Can anyone recommend a good brand and/or seller.

Also a circular string guide would be nice but which material gets the warmest tone?

My tone pot has a big jump from bass to treble while the sound I want is in between so I'll be changing that pot too.

Anything else that I should think about?

Thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome
    Memories aside, note the two extra pots/knobs like at 0:41. Their position seems logical (sort of, given the supposed routing underneath the pickguard), but exactly what did (or still do) they do?

It was a built-in fuzz box circuit. That’s how he got the unique sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    j
    A Jordan Boss Tone, by the sound and layout, unless I am mistaken. I have one in my desk right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Hey guys,

I got a '21 Player Tele a few weeks ago and I'd like to make a few changes which are as follows.

Santa bought a Lollar CC pick up so I'm sorted there but I'm looking for brass compensated saddles and bridge plate from the EU (so no import charges). Can anyone recommend a good brand and/or seller.

Also a circular string guide would be nice but which material gets the warmest tone?
    sounds like Dildo, unfortunately, but here goes:

goldo Harmonic Bridge Saddles fur Tele | goldo music

Thomastik Infeld strings for me please, either JazzSwing or BeBop for a little more sparkle.

BeBop has an unwound third, I don't know why.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Ah, that makes sense. Thx!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621

Thomastik Infeld strings for me please, either JazzSwing or BeBop for a little more sparkle.

I‘d recommend Goeldo, too. AFAIK, they only sell through retailers so Thomann is probably your safest bet. Or try rockinger.com, they are basically the same company as Göldo.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I personally like having unwound G because of a nice symmetry between 3 treble strings 3 bass.
    However, at least with the pickups I have, unwound 3rd tends to be noticable louder then the rest of the set and there is no pole adjustment on single-coils (usually, mine included ), which shapes everything I try to play.
    anyone else is bothered with this?

User Info Menu

Just came across this maker while shopping for pickups: Nightjar Guitars.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_3358-jpeg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4305-jpeg

These thinlines are in the $2K range -- look pretty nice to me!

User Info Menu

New pickups for one of my Squier CV Custom 62 Telecasters.

Barfuss P-33 at the neck, humbucker with P90 sound.
    Häussel BigMag at the bridge. Both german pickup manufacturer.
    The P-33 sounds very open and reminds a little of a semi-acoustic guitar.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-kombi-tele2-jpg

User Info Menu

Somebody asked about the extra knobs on Norman Greenbaum's Telecaster - I interviewed Norman years back and, you remember that fuzz on "Spirit In The Sky?" That's what the extra knobs on the Tele did. They put a fuzz circuit in in the guitar.
    Last edited by Scott Beckwith; 01-07-2022 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Title doesn't show in thread

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Beckwith
    "Spirit In The Sky?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Looks nice! Mahogany top over a spruce body? I am curious to hear Your experiences of it when the guitar is ready.

What kind of a bridge You are planning? I see no thru-body holes.
    I think it's Pine with the Mahgony top. The builder chose the woods for a balanced tone and weight – I don't have a clue so the best advice is to follow his advice.
    It will get a standard Gotoh hardtail bridge.

User Info Menu

Andy Brown slinging a Telecaster....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    Andy Brown slinging a Telecaster....

How does he get it to sound so warm?!?!? Reading the notes below the video, he doesn't indicate it is anything but stock. I couldn't read the branding on his amp, though it looks like a Fender Deluxe Reverb or Twin or something of that nature.

Maybe he sounds that good with any guitar he plays? I would expect it with an archtop, but a Telecaster?

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    How does he get it to sound so warm?!?!? Reading the notes below the video, he doesn't indicate it is anything but stock. I couldn't read the branding on his amp, though it looks like a Fender Deluxe Reverb or Twin or something of that nature.

Maybe he sounds that good with any guitar he plays? I would expect it with an archtop, but a Telecaster?

Tony
    Looks like a Fender Vibrolux Reverb amp.

User Info Menu

How does he get it to sound so warm?!?!?
    he sounds soft ( in a good way ), because he is playing with his thumb.

the Fender amps of that era do not sound warm though, maybe alone for themselfes, but not in comparison with earlier amps from

other brands or in comparison to their older brothers and sisters made by Fender himself.

I gave it more than one try with my Fender Deluxe, ( late )Tweed Pro, Super Reverb amps ... to me, they sound cold and feel stiff.

you should try an old octal amp for warmth, tone, dynamics.

for the sake of pics I dug out the pic of my ( sold ) Rick Kelly Telecaster ... what an amazing guitar, it had to leave for something much

older but I miss it a lot. ( pic has been posted earlier in this thread already )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    Looks like a Fender Vibrolux Reverb amp.
    I think you are correct. I looked at pics of these amplifiers and the lettering matches.

Tony

User Info Menu

he sounds soft ( in a good way ), because he is playing with his thumb.

the Fender amps of that era do not sound warm though, maybe alone for themselfes, but not in comparison with earlier amps from

other brands or in comparison to their older brothers and sisters made by Fender himself.

I gave it more than one try with my Fender Deluxe, ( late )Tweed Pro, Super Reverb amps ... to me, they sound cold and feel stiff.

you should try an old octal amp for warmth, tone, dynamics.

for the sake of pics I dug out the pic of my ( sold ) Rick Kelly Telecaster ... what an amazing guitar, it had to leave for something much

older but I miss it a lot. ( pic has been posted earlier in this thread already )

I also play with bare fingers rather than a pick. My amplifier is a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb (the black face). Earlier somewhere in this thread I wrote that I had modified to be like the blonde version with the Celestion speaker used in the blonde version and associated firmware from Fender. That served to warm up the amp a bit.

Tony

User Info Menu

I think you are correct. I looked at pics of these amplifiers and the lettering matches.Tony
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-vibrolux-jpg

User Info Menu

Joined your ranks yesterday with this FSR “Palo Escrito” Tele. I’ll have to check on one of those serial decoder sites to verify the exact date, but I think these were released in 2007. It plays like a dream, is quite resonant, and I’m loving this neck!

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-7103f1fe-4a7e-483d-84c0-1b84f68a1aef-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Caboverde
    Joined your ranks yesterday with this FSR “Palo Escrito” Tele. I’ll have to check on one of those serial decoder sites to verify the exact date, but I think these were released in 2007. It plays like a dream, is quite resonant, and I’m loving this neck!

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-7103f1fe-4a7e-483d-84c0-1b84f68a1aef-jpg
    The wood grain on your Tele is really nice. Welcome to the club.

User Info Menu

Attachment 87855
    My chambered Tele with KTS titanium saddles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Attachment 87855
    My chambered Tele with KTS titanium saddles.
    What kind of top is that? Ziricote?

User Info Menu

Initially I was looking for a more traditional Tele but then i found THIS : a 1998 G&L ASAT Jr. , one of a 250 pc. limited edition run and it's an absolute winner !
    SOO resonant, extremely reactive re pick-attack, playing angle, position, I actually hear a change in tone color by the slightest turn of the tone pot from 0 to 10 (vol. pot is just as precise) and despite being a feather weight (2.8 kilo) it has more than adequate sustain. Wow, this thing is a LOT of fun....
    Getting a Jazz tone out of it is easy (volume on 9, tone on 7), I just have to be careful when I use any overdrive because then the single coil pickups do pick up a lot of extra noise but that's about the only drawback to speak of. Highly recommended guitars, these ASATS !
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_4379-jpg