The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 78 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Posts 1,926 to 1,950 of 2241

User Info Menu

I'll share this one I built earlier this year. Spent much time in late 2020 planning, then started buying parts last Christmas. Short version:

• Warmoth unfinished Roasted Swamp Ash body. I applied a Wudtone Cherry Flamenco finish, then topped with TruOil.
    • Warmoth Roasted Maple neck with Rosewood FB, mother-of-pearl markers and SS frets; no lacquer, etc. finish applied (except for headstock)--just burnished the back to a silky smooth feel.
    • Lindy Fralin pickups. Unbucker neck and Split Rail Blues output at the bridge
    • Gotoh In-Tune bridge w/ compensated brass saddles
    • Hipshot locking, open-gear tuners
    • CT pots and a 5-way switch to choose coil-split on the Unbucker

My only slight criticism is I wish the neck were a few hundredths of an inch thicker. At any rate, this thing is most definitely my #1 guitar. That Fralin Unbucker will crank out the mellow tones, and the bridge Split Rail can "out-Fender" my Fender.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-finished_front_reduced-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-finished_back_reduced-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, very nice, Jim232..!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James Haze
    I know this is a Telecaster love thread, so I'll probably get slammed for saying this, but I've always thought the Telecaster was one of the ugliest guitars ever made.
    What puzzles me is that you feel the need to enter a telecaster love thread to post this.
    ???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    What puzzles me is that you feel the need to enter a telecaster love thread to post this.
    ???
    I've noticed on other music forums you can't have a thread like "what chorus pedal do you recommend?" without people posting "I hate chorus". Good to know.

User Info Menu

Hey if only positive reply’s were allowed, it be kind of boring!

I’ve grown to love the look of especially the Vanilla variety 60’s Look
    Especially since such great players made such great music on them in every genre!
    The Quintessential Workingman’s Guitar. The funniest part is the originals are worth more than even the fanciest Gibson,LOL!

User Info Menu

I'm a wide tent guy. Salens are welcome here!

User Info Menu

I'm curious about the Salen too, especially the Jazz version. I'd like to try one, especially the neck (they have a very special shape) but they seem to be available only online?

My biggest concern about a guitar like that is that you can't change a string without tools. That can be horror in a gig situation. OTOH a headless guitar seems to be a good option for a player that has to fly a lot. I guess it's zero problem to get these on a plane. Well, I'm not in that situation ...
    Funnily I can't find any video of someone using one on a gig. Everything I see is youtuber and product presentation.

User Info Menu

I'm curious about the Salen too, especially the Jazz version. I'd like to try one, especially the neck (they have a very special shape)
    Is it true that the back of the neck has angles and, like, three planes? I tried a guitar with a neck like this once and found it surprisingly comfortable.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I'm curious about the Salen too, especially the Jazz version. I'd like to try one, especially the neck (they have a very special shape) but they seem to be available only online?

My biggest concern about a guitar like that is that you can't change a string without tools. That can be horror in a gig situation. OTOH a headless guitar seems to be a good option for a player that has to fly a lot. I guess it's zero problem to get these on a plane. Well, I'm not in that situation ...
    Funnily I can't find any video of someone using one on a gig. Everything I see is youtuber and product presentation.
    This may not be exactly what you're looking for...

Login • Instagram

User Info Menu

I'm excited like a five year old as I have commissioned a new tele style build to local builder Jochen Imhoff (Sign Guitars). Inspired by Nils Landgren Funk Unit's guitarist Andy Pfeiler, but different.
    This will be a guitar that's made for Jazz and Funk, but I guess that it will play any other genre as well.
    It will have a hollowbody pine body with mahagony top and strat like comfort shapings, maple neck with rosewood fretboard. Two humbuckers wound by Harry Häussel (who makes pickups for Michael Sagmeister). For the peghead and pickguard Jochen will come up with individual designs.
    Lately we started to use in-ear monitoring and the 60 cycle hum became more and more annoying to me. I also hope for a little more grown up and authoritative tone from the buckers. Jochen suggested some low wind and clean sounding variants, so there will still be sparkle and tellyness.
    Also I have an impingement syndrome in the right shoulder and playing archtops and traditional teles is difficult (painful) to me – strat contours help a lot as I don't have to put the shoulder forward. At least thats my rationalization for getting another guitar. I would have bought a PRS hollowbody if I could cope with the aesthetics and ergonomy of these.
    Jochen builds some wonderful tasteful guitars that have a wonderful worn in look and feel without artificial relicing. Check him out on facebook: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Also check out Andy Pfeiler with Nils Landgren – very elegant jazzy funk – and a nice tele style guitar with a twist:
    I love the sounds Andy get out of his.

User Info Menu

The builder sent me some progress pics:
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc02894-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc02880-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc02879-jpg

User Info Menu

For use with my American Showcase Telecaster (2021), I purchased a used/mint Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb black model amp. Since I prefer the sound of the blonde version, I installed the Celestion Neo Cream Back that is used in the blonde version, along with the blonde version no cap firmware. This removes much of the twanginess, giving an overall warmer tone (end result: blonde TMDR in black TMDR casing since the electronics are identical).

Since the blonde version is more expensive, this was a cost effective way in to the sound of that model. The American Showcase Tele has more winds on both its pickups than the typical Tele (whatever "typical" is these days with so many variations), so it is a warmer tone overall too.

Then, for pedals, I make it very simple - Boss GT1000 Core to provide any "pedal" combination I could possibly want in a small package and this goes into a Boss RC-500 looper. Simple, flexible setup. Done.

I don't know if I will ever play out anymore, but certainly wish I could have had this setup when I was in the road band back in the late 70s.

Out of curiosity, how do the various boutique makers of Telecasters stack up against a good, solid American Fender? It seems to me that Fender hit upon the perfect utilitarian guitar with the Tele and it would be difficult to go one better with the design.

Tony

User Info Menu

The builder sent me some progress pics:
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc02894-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc02880-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc02879-jpg
    Looks nice! Mahogany top over a spruce body? I am curious to hear Your experiences of it when the guitar is ready.

What kind of a bridge You are planning? I see no thru-body holes.

User Info Menu

Love my 96 US Standard Tele. All stock with rosewood board and vintage cream body. Lovely wood and build quality compared to all the new comparible versions. The neck feel is smooth and fast with med jumbo frets and 9.5 radius. Pickups are warm and thick sounding when matched with my Fargen Townhouse 20 1x12 combo and just a Strymon flint for a touch of reverb. I don't have to touch the tone control on the guitar to hit the ballpark of range of sounds i want. My other main guitar is an 88 335.

User Info Menu

Got my first Tele today. Will get brass compensated saddles and Lollar pickups. This is a sample straight out of the box. Hope that you enjoy it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Elnico
    Love my 96 US Standard Tele. All stock with rosewood board and vintage cream body. Lovely wood and build quality compared to all the new comparible versions. The neck feel is smooth and fast with med jumbo frets and 9.5 radius. Pickups are warm and thick sounding when matched with my Fargen Townhouse 20 1x12 combo and just a Strymon flint for a touch of reverb. I don't have to touch the tone control on the guitar to hit the ballpark of range of sounds i want. My other main guitar is an 88 335.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Please educate me re the various (original/made in USA) ASAT models by G&L :
    - What is the sonic difference between the models with the "fat" MFD pickups and those that look like conventional Tele pups ?
    - Do the the solid models have a "bigger" tone than the semi/thinline ones and how mid-scooped are these (or not) ?
    - Was/Is there a time period like a "Golden Age" where the guitars were markedly better than before or after ?

I'm getting more and more interested in these ASAT models but they are quite scarce over here and not easy to find and try out.
    I've listened to many clips and like always they all sound very different and depending on the skill and the taste of the player and whether it's a clean (seldom) or a distorted sound the outcome is not very conclusive. I plan on using it as an allrounder player and as a second for my old Warmoth Tele which has most of the typical TELE territory pretty well covered.
    Thanks for your input and shared insights !
    I know that most of the import Tribute models use the same pickups as the USA models (the Bluesboy and traditional models don’t and maybe one other). If they are adjustable with a hex key, then they’re the ones G&L uses in the USA series guitars.

My G&L is a Bluesboy Tribute, and the neck humbucker was seriously lacking, so I replaced it with a custom wound Vintage Vibe Guitars pickup I had Pete Biltoft make back in ‘04 and was no longer in the guitar I originally bought it for. If it was my main pickup then I’d replace the bridge pickup too, because the traditional bridge pickup (non-adjustable) pickup used in the Tribute series is very country sounding, and I’m more of a black guard fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Okay…. Time to reveal my latest built (well… if assembling parts counts as building…).

For a long time I thought that a Telecaster in standard configuration would be no good for jazz. Boy, was I wrong! The neck pickup of a Tele is a beautiful thing!

So here’s my 50ies inspired Tele. Some specs:
    - alder body
    - roasted maple neck
    - FLEOR alnico 5 pickups
    - Kaish vintage tuners
    - modern wiring
    - thin nitro spray can finish
    - Fender vintage (non compensated) brass saddles

I love it!

User Info Menu

Why not compensated saddles?

User Info Menu

I probably posted this already, but I just love Joe Messina's playing; here he is on the Soupy Sales Show in the '50s, 43 seconds long:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Why not compensated saddles?
    Because it’s near perfect like this!

User Info Menu

I have to say, if you can get one of the MIM Baja Teles they are superb. I believe they call them something like "Vintera 50's Modified" now, and they added a few colors. They don't need a thing. That said.....mine has Callaham compensated saddles I love it to death. I also have an MIJ 50th Anniversary double bound/rosewood board that I've put a Chopper T in the bridge of, and a Twisted Tele neck. Basically the same combo you get on the Kotzen Tele. The MIJ Anniversary Tele made me realize lately I could sell my Les Paul and not miss it so I'm doing that. I used to think of them as the cheapest guitar you could get, but after only 44 years of playing I finally came around on them lol

User Info Menu

First post as a new member here. I have lurked here for awhile though.

I bought a Squire Affinity Tele for a travel guitar (someone told me that they fit in an overhead on an airplane). I also figured if it got stolen in the hotel or damaged that I wouldn't be out much money.

I really liked playing it so I upgraded the pots, jacks, tuners and put in Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pickups. I also shielded the cavity.

Since I was reaching for that guitar more than my Strat Plus, I ended up getting another Tele but with a wider neck. I just bought the Fender 75th Anniversary model with Twisted Tele pickups. You can just about play any genre with the Telecaster.

Here is a picture of the two Teles and one with my Ibanez George Benson.
    Attached Images Attached Images Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20211122_122857-jpg Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-20211122_122753-jpg 

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-3ff71e5d-d8b5-43b0-8c3f-6d7adbcc7503-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-5bfa4314-ecae-40b3-8fe6-680c309506da-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-664e7a08-fbd0-43e9-bd61-744a5af0adf7-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-9e0450fc-0cd5-49d5-aa39-2487cff585b2-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-d64d223e-897a-4bc0-b546-80d2753ee1bd-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-3ff71e5d-d8b5-43b0-8c3f-6d7adbcc7503-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-5bfa4314-ecae-40b3-8fe6-680c309506da-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-664e7a08-fbd0-43e9-bd61-744a5af0adf7-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-9e0450fc-0cd5-49d5-aa39-2487cff585b2-jpgTelecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-d64d223e-897a-4bc0-b546-80d2753ee1bd-jpg
    My killer Neville…. This is my one and only guitar. It does everything well. Turned 70, tried a lot of great guitars…. This is my winner. Finished the search. Feel very fortunate to have this sweetheart!
    Last edited by RUKelly; 12-17-2021 at 12:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Mighty handsome guitar!