The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 76 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Posts 1,876 to 1,900 of 2242

User Info Menu

This I have now, a MIJ Tokai ATE 88 tele. Love it, its really an old school tele

ATE-01 — ImgBB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been looking through this thread and am surprised not to see mention of the cunife equipped American Original Tele Customs.

I thought they would be perfect for jazz. I guess not?

I've heard some sound samples and they seem a tad brighter than the 70's pickups. With prices still reasonable for the vintage guitars, I am tempted to give one a try.

Any Custom or Deluxe players around?

User Info Menu

Here is my CB Hill Tele. I've changed the pickups on it a few times but I think I've settled on something nice. The neck pickup is an old Guild HB-1 and the bridge pickup is a Righteous Sound Sweet Ella. It's noiseless, has a similar output to the HB-1, works well with 500k pots, and somehow still sounds mostly like a Telecaster bridge pickup. It's pretty neat!

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_0173-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by petermelton
    Here is my CB Hill Tele. I've changed the pickups on it a few times but I think I've settled on something nice. The neck pickup is an old Guild HB-1 and the bridge pickup is a Righteous Sound Sweet Ella. It's noiseless, has a similar output to the HB-1, works well with 500k pots, and somehow still sounds mostly like a Telecaster bridge pickup. It's pretty neat!
    Yeah, Peter -- sweet CB!! Everything he makes is wonderful!

Marc

User Info Menu

Brand new Fender MIM Teles and Strats through SlickDeals for $519 w/ free shipping, likely only for a few days.

Fender Limited Edition Player Stratocaster or Telecaster Electric Guitars (Blue)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Brand new Fender MIM Teles and Strats through SlickDeals for $519 w/ free shipping, likely only for a few days.
    Had to resist that. Wanted to pick up just for the Lake Placid Blue.

User Info Menu

New Fender Road Worn 50s Telecaster in vintage blonde on the way. Should get by this Thursday or Friday. Going to my local shop right away and start it if off with a set up of round wound 11s.

User Info Menu

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-new-build-jpg

So this is my first "build" ever, put together very deliberately at least from an esthetic viewpoint, as I've been lusting after this wine-red-plus-tortoise-shell thing for years.

Body is an old MIM Tele, which I bought around ten years ago without ever having used (loaded) it. The neck is Warmoth, bought from ebay earlier this year: a Strat neck obviously (bird's eye maple with a canary fretoard).

In fact the neck came with tuners, and the body came with the output jack installed, all other parts I have collected and assembled myself.

Given that I had a spare DiMarzio Twang King for the bridge position (not used in 20 years or so), I just bought another Twang King for the neck and don't regret this decision in the least.

The wiring no doubt involves the shoddiest sholdering job ever done by anyone. But everything works except, er, for the tone control. Still scratching my head over this one (new "Fender", I guess CTS, 250K). On the other hand, even the shielding with copper foil has turned out to be quite effective.

I must say I'm really happy with the feel and the tones I'm getting as is, even though I haven't yet devoted an awful lot of attention to the actual setup (other than meticulously fitting and shimming the neck earlier this year).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-new-build-jpg

So this is my first "build" ever, put together very deliberately at least from an esthetic viewpoint, as I've been lusting after this wine-red-plus-tortoise-shell thing for years.

Body is an old MIM Tele, which I bought around ten years ago without ever having used (loaded) it. The neck is Warmoth, bought from ebay earlier this year: a Strat neck obviously (bird's eye maple with a canary fretoard).

In fact the neck came with tuners, and the body came with the output jack installed, all other parts I have collected and assembled myself.

Given that I had a spare DiMarzio Twang King for the bridge position (not used in 20 years or so), I just bought another Twang King for the neck and don't regret this decision in the least.

The wiring no doubt involves the shoddiest sholdering job ever done by anyone. But everything works except, er, for the tone control. Still scratching my head over this one (new "Fender", I guess CTS, 250K). On the other hand, even the shielding with copper foil has turned out to be quite effective.

I must say I'm really happy with the feel and the tones I'm getting as is, even though I haven't yet devoted an awful lot of attention to the actual setup (other than meticulously fitting and shimming the neck earlier this year).
    That's a real looker! Bet it sounds even better. Well done! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Ha, I managed to fix the tone control. Thanks for the kind words, by the way!

Just to put the money where the mouth is, here's a little demo, straight into the Boss JS-10 on my desk.

First some tone-controlled jazz, then a little postpubertal reminiscence.

Random noodling, no pretenses. I consider myself a rather mediocre player, and my brain has been busy enough with the technical aspects of re-soldering, recording and uploading.

Here a few pics of the Tele style guitar that the late Uber Gentleman Gerard Melancon built on specs for me.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_20190724_203602-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc01373-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_20190724_203619-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_20190724_204157-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by santilomonaco
    Here a few pics of the Tele style guitar that the late Uber Gentleman Gerard Melancon built on specs for me.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_20190724_203602-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-dsc01373-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_20190724_203619-jpg

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-img_20190724_204157-jpg

User Info Menu

You want Tele love? You got it!!

Mine's an American Special with De Marzio Area T neck and bridge p/ups.

Good for whatever ails you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Telecastergirl
    You want Tele love? You got it!!

Mine's an American Special with De Marzio Area T neck and bridge p/ups.

Good for whatever ails you.

User Info Menu

Do you guys like your teles bound or unbound? If bound, double or single?

User Info Menu

My 1966 Custom Telecaster is single bound around its sunburst finish. I like it just fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Certain finishes call for certain things...

Any kind of blonde should never have binding.

But black or sunburst look great both ways.

Car colors? Oooooh, gimmie that binding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Unbound. Unbound can have a bit of round over while binding makes for sharper edges, digs in.

User Info Menu

Bindings are luxury appointments. Conceptually they should contradict to everything telecasters stand for, yet they totally elevate some Teles. Go figure.

I agree that they are less comfortable but there is always the option to chicken out and get a single bound one with a body contour (which is what I would get). I think that's how ultra/elite Teles are shaped.

User Info Menu

Faux binding (taping off the binding area when painting) can be more subtle, yet cool.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-10649_asatccblackfull_1-jpg

Yeah, I need a napkin for my drool.

User Info Menu

I wanted to experience what an archetype Tele feels and plays like and was lucky enough to win a reasonable priced body and neck on eBay. Some shopping on AliExpress took care of the rest of the parts and hardware. Put everything together and sprayed it with butterscotch see-through nitro:

So now I have a 50ies inspired Tele! Some differences: the body is alder instead of pine or ash and the neck has a 9.5” radius instead of 7.25. But for the rest it’s like an early fifties tele, with Alnico 5 pickups and three traditional uncompensated brass saddles. I followed the modern wiring schematic by the way, not the traditional wiring.

I put some .011 flatwounds, replaced the high E with a .012 even. Man! This thing sounds sweeeet! Very surprised by how full, round and dark the neck pickup can sound!

The cheap Chinese FLEOR pickups ($15 each) are the big surprise, they are great! I have Fender 57 classic pickups in my Strat (bought used for little money) but the FLEORs are really in no way inferior to them.

I really get the Tele-hype now (finally), what a lovely instrument in all its simplicity!

Video and audio will follow, promised!
    Last edited by Little Jay; 10-19-2021 at 01:21 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    If Kashmir is not the first song you play on it, then you deserve to have it taken away and resold to someone else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zcostilla; 10-28-2021 at 03:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Proof double f-holes can look good on a Tele. Anyone have 30 grand and nothing better to do with it?

User Info Menu

Not a "Tele" as such but I have a somewhat battered, mid-80s Tokai copy. The Tele police would also take issue with the 6-saddle bridge as I understand troublesome intonation to be part of the authentic idiosyncrasies of the instrument.

I like the guitar but hated the look of the multi-piece body with clear lacquer so had it refinished in a sort of "vintage" white to emulate that 60s Teles vibe. The local guy who did it left all the dings and scrapes present and did an aged finish.

Wish I'd gone for a stronger yellow/blonde colour but I still like the way it turned out and very much prefer it to the original, clear finish:

Original finish before respray (old photo):