The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 75 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Posts 1,851 to 1,875 of 2243

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I do love Rick's guitars. It's nice to see one without all the knots. What's the body wood for the neck and body? What flavour of massive neck?

same here, the knots are not my thing.

not sure, if you want to see the rear-side then, with the mother of all knots and some questionable workmanship where the neckplate is at.

it is a pine body from Chumley's bar and the super-sized neck is made from Padouk.

it is my 5th "Fender-like" boutique guitar is the best one by far - it is a great instrument.

( I will come up with some more pics later in the day ... )

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Has the Fender 2021 Chris Fleming Masterbuilt Prestige Jazz Telecaster already been posted here?

User Info Menu

That looks like a fine (and expensive) instrument, but to me that's not really a Telecaster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    it is a pine body from Chumley's bar and the super-sized neck is made from Padouk.

( I will come up with some more pics later in the day ... )
    Could you say a few words about the super sized neck, too?

User Info Menu

here are the promised pics, the mother of all knots, not for everyone.

the customs guy really liked it ...

the guitar is too bright in the pics, only pics #4, 5 and 6 capture the real color somewhat better.

and check these pics from the neck-plate area, not for everyone as well ...

if you look down from the players position, you'll see glue-remains besides the binding ...

all in all, the guitar is beyond beautiful and sounds magical.

it is true.

the transparent red tortoise pick-guard has been underlayed with a sheet of golden foil,

the guitar seems to glow inside, whenever light falls onto it.

the faded sonic blue paint is very thin, that the grain from the pine shows through.

it is way beautiful.

way cool, like the city it has been born in, like the people, who made it.

Last edited by Filmosound 621; 06-15-2021 at 04:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    Could you say a few words about the super sized neck, too?

this neck, while sized beyond huge, isn't as large as his regular necks, I believe.

this Padouk neck has got a trussrod, unlike his regular pine necks, of which have none.

this neck is a very thick D, it felt weird at first, feels better by the hour.

but the neck itself is very very slick, my thumb slipped off the neck a couple of times now,

while playing in a classical position.

I need to get adjusted to it.

the guitar sounds bigger than the LSL bad bone, that I had before. The tones are richer.

I believe, the neck plays a part in that. As does the body, you can feel fine vibrations throughout the instrument while playing.

it has great sustain and can do everything from sweet to mean by the change of attack alone.

this is honey moon, got the guitar since friday ... it took 5 weeks to get here ... almost lost all interest in between ...

over the moon now.

it is bigger, than it appears in the pics, of which are from the sales add.

I "measured" a thickness of one inch from the first to the 12th. fret.

while playing, the neck feels and looks like a steering pin from a little sailboat ...

it resonates and sounds like a long marimba bar. The tones have a special quality to them.

there is a warmoth comparison video for maple and padouk necks ... they say they are similar, I do not believe it ...

I have not seen a maple marimba yet ...

Last edited by Filmosound 621; 06-15-2021 at 04:38 PM.

User Info Menu

and the styling is so unique ... or so I thought ... pine body, blue top,

tortoise binding and pickguard ...

just like this new Scheckter ...

User Info Menu

this neck, while sized beyond huge, isn't as large as his regular necks, I believe.

this Padouk neck has got a trussrod, unlike his regular pine necks, of which have none.

this neck is a very thick D, it felt weird at first, feels better by the hour.

but the neck itself is very very slick, my thumb slipped off the neck a couple of times now,

while playing in a classical position.

I need to get adjusted to it.

the guitar sounds bigger than the LSL bad bone, that I had before. The tones are richer.

I believe, the neck plays a part in that. As does the body, you can feel fine vibrations throughout the instrument while playing.

it has great sustain and can do everything from sweet to mean by the change of attack alone.

this is honey moon, got the guitar since friday ... it took 5 weeks to get here ... almost lost all interest in between ...

over the moon now.

it is bigger, than it appears in the pics, of which are from the sales add.

I "measured" a thickness of one inch from the first to the 12th. fret.

while playing, the neck feels and looks like a steering pin from a little sailboat ...

it resonates and sounds like a long marimba bar. The tones have a special quality to them.

there is a warmoth comparison video for maple and padouk necks ... they say they are similar, I do not believe it ...

I have not seen a maple marimba yet ...

Congrats, very interesting instrument!
    There is a magical tonal correlation between a fat neck and a lightweight body on Tellys: to me the best you can get.

I love the 1“ fat U on my Thinline. Roasted maple, oilfinish. The best neck I‘ve ever played.

Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-5792428a-9cdf-42bb-8830-734aa66e01dc-jpeg

You‘ll get used to the fat profile for sure!

User Info Menu

Hooray for Rick Kelly!

User Info Menu

and the styling is so unique ... or so I thought ... pine body, blue top,

tortoise binding and pickguard ...

just like this new Scheckter ...

Do you know anything else that Schecter? IS it a Custom Shop model, or does it have a model name? Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

I've never seen a padauk marimba bar, either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertito
    I've never seen a padauk marimba bar, either.
    the more expensive ones got rosewood, still.

the more affordable ones are made from Padouk, all of them.

like this i.e.:

Adams MSPVJ 30 Solist Junior Marimba – Musikhaus Thomann

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    Do you know anything else that Schecter? IS it a Custom Shop model, or does it have a model name? Thanks in advance!
    sorry, I do not know anything about the guitar, but:

Schecter Progauge PS-PT. About $1,100

Schecter PS-PT Progauge - Album on Imgur

User Info Menu

sorry, I do not know anything about the guitar, but:

Schecter Progauge PS-PT. About $1,100

Schecter PS-PT Progauge - Album on Imgur

That's a huge help actually (to know they are Japanese in origin), thank you very much!

User Info Menu

Not only is this Tele great for blues and jazz, it is also wonderful for soups and stews

Amazon.ca Something Went Wrong / Quelque chose s'est mal passe

User Info Menu

Not only is this Tele great for blues and jazz, it is also wonderful for soups and stews

cool, always wanted to play the spoons.

User Info Menu

For scooping the mids.

User Info Menu

From the Fender Custard Shop.

User Info Menu

I was against Tele in jazz all my life until recent event:
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-tele-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat
    I was against Tele in jazz all my life until recent event:
    Telecaster Love Thread, No Archtops Allowed-tele-2-jpg
    Stone gorgeous! I've always had a soft spot for rosewood Fenders. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

A recent thread on Telecasters vs Les Pauls for jazz got me thinking. The Tele is obviously the better choice (don’t tell them on that thread!). But to me, the reason why is that the Tele has many features of the best archtops.

It made me wonder: what if I made a Tele with every possible attribute the same as an L5 Wes:

• 25.5” Scale
    • Maple neck
    • Ebony Fretboard
    • L5-style frets
    • Gibson 57 Classic Neck Pickup
    • L5 Volume/Tone/Wiring
    • TI Flatwounds

The strings would be identical, vibrating the identical distance, on the same fretboard and neck, and the pickup and wiring would be identical.

That means that the only differences are the bridge material (can be made more similar), the guitar head break angle (how much does that matter?), and most obvious, the hollow body.

I’d be curious to hear from engineer types, all else being equal, what would make a “Wescaster” sound most like a Wes L5?

(It’d never be identical, but interesting thought experiment, and it would be a beautiful “necksquire”).

User Info Menu

I suppose you might get close. However, the other part of the equation is will it play like an L5? Seems like you would need a slightly wider and flatter fretboard for one. Personally I like the original Fender specs on Fenders and original Gibson specs on Gibsons. They just seem right to me that way. Electronics can be variable, however. Certain aspects of those have been improved upon IMHO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markesquire
    A recent thread on Telecasters vs Les Pauls for jazz got me thinking. The Tele is obviously the better choice (don’t tell them on that thread!). But to me, the reason why is that the Tele has many features of the best archtops.

It made me wonder: what if I made a Tele with every possible attribute the same as an L5 Wes:

• 25.5” Scale
    • Maple neck
    • Ebony Fretboard
    • L5-style frets
    • Gibson 57 Classic Neck Pickup
    • L5 Volume/Tone/Wiring
    • TI Flatwounds

The strings would be identical, vibrating the identical distance, on the same fretboard and neck, and the pickup and wiring would be identical.

That means that the only differences are the bridge material (can be made more similar), the guitar head break angle (how much does that matter?), and most obvious, the hollow body.

I’d be curious to hear from engineer types, all else being equal, what would make a “Wescaster” sound most like a Wes L5?

(It’d never be identical, but interesting thought experiment, and it would be a beautiful “necksquire”).
    Ha, I experimented with this same idea to get a Tele as close to my ES-125 as possible (posted earlier in this thread):
    - 24.75” scale
    - mahogany neck
    - rosewood fretboard
    - P90 pickup
    - 500K pots, .022uf cap
    - TI flatwounds

It definitely did not become an ES-125 but easily the most jazzy sounding Tele I have come across!

I would say scale, neck an fretboard material and pickup already take you 60% or so there.

To come closer I think you need to construct the body also like an archtop (those do exist) but since I am no luthier I had to settle for what I could find (which was a mahogany thinline design body). In case of the L5 that would mean fully hollow with a carved spruce top.

I thinks those Tele’s do exist, like this one by Japanese builder Nittono:

User Info Menu

To me, a big part of the archtop *feel* or geometry is how far above the body the strings lie. The strings on a Tele are so close to the body in comparison, weird arch-Teles aside.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    To me, a big part of the archtop *feel* or geometry is how far above the body the strings lie. The strings on a Tele are so close to the body in comparison, weird arch-Teles aside.
    That is definitely a valid point! A more archtop-like neck angle would be important.